Mass Effect 3

slightly off topic question, I completed mass effect 1 on my 360 (now sorta dead) and own ME2 for the PC, is there anyway I can use my 360 save on my pc version of ME2?

Yeah, I don't see how 360 saves could be compatible with the PC version.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/114/1148798p1.html
Clint Mansell, composer of such classic motion picture scores as 'The Fountain' and 'Requiem For a Dream' dropped the news that he is writing the musical score for the last chapter in BioWare's epic Mass Effect trilogy in an interview with The Quietus about his latest film, 'Black Swan'.

The website Badass Digest picked up on the news of Mansell's involvement in Mass Effect 3, which saw the composer asked about whether he does much work for other outlets like computer games. Mansell responded by saying: "I'm doing a video game this year actually. Mass Effect 3".

When describing what it's like to score a video game, Mansell said: "As I was saying about Public Enemy and re-working old hip-hop tunes for Requiem, and kind of re-working old ballet tunes for Black Swan, with something like Mass Effect you're more like a DJ, with all these elements. You've got the holding pattern, then the big explosion where you need the score to kick in. Then you need to take it off on a tangent. You've got all these different elements that change depending on what the player does. You have to figure out an overall symphony, but be able to break it down into component parts. You can bring the pain when required".

This is incredible news as Mansell is regarded by many as one of the most gifted composers working in the film industry today. His music is famous for being as epic as it is haunting. His involvement in Mass Effect 3 gives us good reason to believe we might be in for the most emotionally devastating game in BioWare's space opera franchise yet.

I just watched the Fountain yesterday, the musical score was everything it should of been for that movie and more.

Eh. Gonna miss the scifi soundtrack by Jack Wall and Sam Hulick. This is cool though.

Would've preferred they kept Jack Wall as well, bu this a suitable replacement.

I bumping this up to ask ... shouldn't Mass Effect 3 be delayed?

Seriously, we've just seen first-hand what the result of building a large-scale RPG to such a tight deadline does. Dragon Age 2 had me so p'd off with it's shameless recycling of areas and lack of scope that I can't help but feel this is the doomsayer for the Mass Effect finale. Under 2 years ... it's just not enough time for a game of that size. And if the finale to Mass Effect is as underwhelming and half-arsed as Dragon Age 2 was, I'll be in an uber-dimension of depression.

I actually want to petition Bioware to delay the damn game now.

Bioware is not who decides, and petitions don't do anything.

A better reason to bump the thread - "The Arrival" DLC will be coming for xbox March 29th, and I imagine for PC within a day or two after. Screenies included in link if you scroll down.

And for some nice Clint Mansell music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lAfMT5FIZE

As for delaying it: I too have considered this, and they may just do it, but it's worth noting that Bioware as a company has ~800 employees and a completely separate team on Mass Effect 2/3, and I imagine some of the better of the Dragon Age developers will be lending a hand now that DA2 is over. I too don't want to see it rushed, but I think with the harsh hindsight of DA2 criticism they won't have the same problem. Or I really, really, really, really hope they don't. And I hope the hubris they got from ME2 hasn't affected them either, but by the increasing quality of their DLC so far, I doubt it.

EDIT: It's also worth noting that neither the mechanics nor engine (which has already been made - it's the ME3 engine that is being used for ME2 on PS3) need a huge overhaul as the transition from both ME to ME2 and DA to DA2 did. That frees up a lot of time for them to just make content, and they've been doing that for more than a year already. If it needs a delay, I hope like hell they delay it, but I'm not 100% convinced they will need to.

Dragon Age isn't really the same pedigree as Mass Effect. At the very least the original was twice as long (like a proper RPG, versus ME's polished 'extended action game' make up. And honestly, the ME team just seem more... talented? Dragon Age was always 'just another fantasy RPG'.

That said, I do get the sense that they're resting on their laurels with ME3. I liked the second's structure immensely, but it was structured perfectly as a second part. Something similar to that will just be frustrating here... and come to think of it, no Bioware series has ever made it to three numbered installments. I just hope they're better at finishing trilogies than they are at starting them.

When you have a big talented team and a lot of money, you can work faster without losing in quality. What bothers me is the voice over: ME1/2 had terrific voices. Doing all the work requires *a lot* of time. If you rush the process, you have to record the voices over incomplete game sequences (it always happens with international localizations), and this is not a good thing.

So, yes, they should take their time, but EA is pressing too much; a delay is unlikely.

I wondered if it would get pushed back now that The Old Republic is scheduled for a holiday release.

I will buy this game because Clint Mansell is composing.

Two new screenshots for "The Arrival" DLC (spoilered for size and content)

Mass_Effect_2_arrival1.jpg

That's Admiral Hackett - now you have a face to that mysterious alliance voice!

Mass_Effect_2_arrival.jpg

I haven't bothered with any of the post-release DLCs.

Should I?

Really, you only need to play Shadow Broker so far. Overlord's good quality, but has minimal bearing on the plot. Kasumi is average and pointless. Shadow Broker is great and hugely plot relevant - get it! NOW!

I didn't even bother reading the comics that I also were told are hugely plot relevant so I dunno.:\

But then again, DLCs I don't mind, splitting up a franchise across different media forms with comic books and novels etc I do mind.

From what I've heard the comic books/novels just expand the existing lore - the redemption series is pretty much explained through the course of the Shadow Broker DLC, and the others just give narrative to the established background readily available in the codex, sans the evolution series which focuses on the background of the Illusive Man.

But to hammer home a point - Shadow Broker is of the same quality of the best sections of Mass Effect 2, if not better. The events that unfold will almost certainly impact Mass Effect 3 when you import your save. There are ways I can see around the narrative changing whether you get the dlc or not (saying it all happened, but you, Shepard, weren't there to help) but it's definitely worth playing through first-hand.

A year on and there still hasn't been any kind of DLC discount on the PC. I plan to play the whole lot to round off my character before ME3, but I'm not going to pay £20 to do so. That's just ****ing stupid.

That's EA for ya. They'll probably make us redeem our Cerberus Network access in order to get cut content that was supposed to be in the game all along.

Why can't Bioware leave EA? Why can't EA either remember who they used to be or die in a fire?

Why can't Bioware leave EA? Why can't EA either remember who they used to be or die in a fire?

Before EA, Bioware was in the hands of Microsoft. No Mass Effect for PC. So, it could be worse.

Before EA, Bioware was in the hands of Microsoft. No Mass Effect for PC. So, it could be worse.

Good point.

What is EA's role? Do they actually make games or just direct the various studio's and developers to make them? Bioware made ME2, does EA do the marketing and stuff?

Actually it was Microsoft that allowed Mass Effect for the PC and was already being worked on before EA bought Bioware. It's also the reason why EA couldn't bring Mass Effect to the PS3 cause Microsoft wouldn't allow it.
I'm just wondering what sort of day 1 DLC will be available at launch for ME3. I think it's getting ridiculous that Bioware are actually removing content from the game and either making you pay extra for a deluxe version which contains the content or make you pay for it later.

Shadow Broker was GREAT content. However, it was abso****inglutely terrible DLC. I have a real issue when a developer starts a plot thread in the game proper, then makes you buy the conclusion separately. Overlord was good DLC in that it was relevant to the Mass Effect world but was actually a new story apart from what you began in the main game. Holding parts of the game plot ransom is a really lousy device to get people to buy DLC. And if you disagree, just take that to its extreme and see if you still feel the same. Shadow Broker should have been handled either in the gamer proper of ME2 or ME3 as it was directly relevant to plot threads from both ME1 and ME2, not "additional content".

Bioware cannot separate from EA, the Bioware heads sold the studio completely. Bioware is EA.

Every developer needs a publisher. The question is: are there no shitty publishers out there?

Not unless you can become self-sufficient enough to publish your own games like Valve.

Not unless you can become self-sufficient enough to publish your own games like Valve.

There must be some kind of balance between "a game a year" and "a game every ice age" :)

BTW, aren't Valve games published by EA?

A group of people dedicated to the evolution of video games as an art... Not they're only in it for the $$$.

Oh you mean way back when. Yeah, that'd be nice, but what're you gonna do. :(

Back