Minecraft = Love

Alright, I just got on for about 30 seconds, and then I crashed. Damn.

If you are crashing... lower your draw distance down... by pressing the F key. One less than maximum is usually good to stop crashes.

Don't sweat it. I'm kind of annoyed, but I'll just take a break and try again later. A bit paranoid about using wood for anything now, though. :p

Edit: Oh, and thanks for cleaning it up and stuff, guys. I should have stuck around to help, in case it spread to anything else, but I was really too agitated at the time.

Well, at least she had decent send off.

/salute

Yeah. My whole place is pretty much made out of flammable stuff.

I trust HL2.netters not to screw peoples shit up though, so I don't worry about it.

Wooz keeps professing that he genuinely did not do it, but I tell him that I honestly can't take his word over another hl2.netters... and you know how wooz can be badhat... in ttt. I personally think he did it, but that's because anybody else doing it doesn't make sense.

****ing Wooz, I could've guessed. He's just as bad in TTT.

thanks for the wood raz, I'm going to start rebuilding.

I can't connect, it says the server is an unknown host.

edit: nvm problem solved

That was a great trailer, loved it!

I do agree, a SSSSSSSSSSSSS at the end would have made it even better.

Wooz keeps professing that he genuinely did not do it, but I tell him that I honestly can't take his word over another hl2.netters... and you know how wooz can be badhat... in ttt. I personally think he did it, but that's because anybody else doing it doesn't make sense.
If it wasn't him it was someone on his account who knew exactly how to **** shit up. Like I said, I was waiting for sun up to take a screenshot, so I climbed a nearby tree to get a clear view and was tabbing in periodically to see if it was light yet. I tab in and see scruffy_puppy or whatever the crap he called himself on the roof of the cabin. Next thing he looks at the ground, a flame appears, and he runs off the back. When I checked later there were more burnt/burning trees in the direction he ran, so he wasn't exactly subtle about it either...

Anyway, I find it kind of unlikely someone took over his account or whatever, since he was responding to being called wooz when he first joined (Sliver told us it was him before he came in), even though that wasn't his Minecraft name. Not to mention, rim saw him swiping shit from his chest, and everything from Sliver's donation chest vanished around the same time. Seriously, dick move.

Edit: Also, the only other person in the server who wasn't a netter was a RL friend of Sliver's, and he was with Sliver the whole time, as far as I heard.

That trailer was pretty awesome! I actually felt excited, and the ending made me siver a little. :D

Stupid Wooz... he ain't coming back.

If it wasn't him it was someone on his account who knew exactly how to **** shit up. Like I said, I was waiting for sun up to take a screenshot, so I climbed a nearby tree to get a clear view and was tabbing in periodically to see if it was light yet. I tab in and see scruffy_puppy or whatever the crap he called himself on the roof of the cabin. Next thing he looks at the ground, a flame appears, and he runs off the back. When I checked later there were more burnt/burning trees in the direction he ran, so he wasn't exactly subtle about it either...

Anyway, I find it kind of unlikely someone took over his account or whatever, since he was responding to being called wooz when he first joined (Sliver told us it was him before he came in), even though that wasn't his Minecraft name. Not to mention, rim saw him swiping shit from his chest, and everything from Sliver's donation chest vanished around the same time. Seriously, dick move.

Edit: Also, the only other person in the server who wasn't a netter was a RL friend of Sliver's, and he was with Sliver the whole time, as far as I heard.

Yep. And that's Sliver's best friend he said. I mean, I'm confident it was wooz. I don't trust wooz. I mean, I'll still play TTT with him and have fun and stuff, but in minecraft I just can't trust him. He has an online personality that is great for TTT, but not for minecraft.

So my only internet during the week right now is campus internet, which blocks applications other than browsers and messenger programmes, so the client version of Minecraft won't work here. I don't know if the in-browser will or not. If it can't then no HL2.net server for me during the weekdays for a while :(

Edit: Well I can play it in browser but I can't seem to connect to the server. Don't know it that's the college blocking it or not.

The music from the Inception trailer is fast becoming the new Two-Towers trailer music for fan made trailers.

So the Minecraft client seems to be downloading an update when you restart sometimes, happened to me and someone else on the server just now. I don't think it's an actual update since Notch hasn't posted anything about it, but it does seem to lock you out of multiplayer, it kept giving me the error "took too long to connect." Re-downloading the client (again) from the website seems to fix it.

Thanks to everyone who donated to the tree fund, just about finished the new one. Gonna take it as close to the skybox as possible this time, just got past the cloud line. Anyway here's a shot for posterity.

tree.jpg

I'm going to build the biggest castle our server has ever known.

I don't read much from RPS, but I will definitely make sure to check that out, sounds like a fun read!

Thanks, Shaker.

If anything read part 4. He makes a very good point about exploration in games.

I'm a bit torn between playing SP and MP. I played for an hour or two in SP but then it was all MP.

On one hand it's nice to create something others can see, as well as see what others have built on the hl2.net server. On the other hand, in SP there's this "survival" element and no way to quickly spawn in a predefined spot, forcing you to think about how you venture. There are also some other nice features which MP doesn't have.

Man, I really wish I had the time available to justify spending money to play this. It looks like something I could really enjoy being creative with.

WoW gland? Ewww!

And funny to see this game went mainstream so damn quick.

Penny Arcade helped a bit. Man when am I going to dream up my million-dollar homebrew game??

Man, I really wish I had the time available to justify spending money to play this. It looks like something I could really enjoy being creative with.

You can always give it a try for free now :)

For the time being anyone is able to download and play the full version for free, until he fixes the server issues.

Apparently I need to be whitelisted on the server?

Name: Xevrex

Added you to the whitelist Xev.

The server is being super laggy atm though...

Longest free weekend ever

If you’ve been refreshing the site all day, you might’ve noticed I put it back up for a while. It started running slower and slower, until it finally died under the pressure.

TkTech from the #minecraft irc channel is helping rewrite the code to make the database not run in linear time (I hacked together a quick test DB early on, and because I fear web backend development, I haven’t touched it since). Progress seems to be good, but it’s not quite finished yet. I don’t know when it will be finished, but the plan is to cut over to the new code base when it’s done.

From Notch's blog.

I'm a bit torn between playing SP and MP. I played for an hour or two in SP but then it was all MP.

On one hand it's nice to create something others can see, as well as see what others have built on the hl2.net server. On the other hand, in SP there's this "survival" element and no way to quickly spawn in a predefined spot, forcing you to think about how you venture. There are also some other nice features which MP doesn't have.

Well if we really want to, we can remove the /sethome /spawn type commands... which came default with the latest admin thing Hokey set up.

It all depends on what you guys want.

Personally I agree that those commands are kind of lame. You have no chance of getting lost with them. And can exploit long distance returns back home.

All the new people joining the minecraft server.

We've implemented a sort of unofficial policy of courtesy and self benefit. The server seems to lag up to hell at times when people have been in it for a long period of time. At least, that's what we think.

We've had success in having the request that you log out after every solid hour or so in the game. Better than logging out, would be shutting down your minecraft client and restarting it, and rejoining the server. If everybody remembers to do that, sometimes it seems to solve some of the more terrible bouts of lag.

I haven't been following your server stuff closely, but with the server I've been playing on we've had good luck just restarting the server every once in awhile to fix the lag issues.

We've been doing that aswell. Seems to be the best fix. I always worry everyone is going to lose inventory, though. That's why I ask for everyone to disconnect normally first.

Oh my gosh, I jumped into Minecraft as of late. It's amazing, and so far I suck at it. It's like an adult version of Legos. Amazing.

We've been doing that aswell. Seems to be the best fix. I always worry everyone is going to lose inventory, though. That's why I ask for everyone to disconnect normally first.

Don't worry, I keep losing my inventory just from regular rollbacks.

I just warped back 2 hours, losing all my inventory I had, and reverting to what I had at the 2 hours previously.

It's weird, that never happened with the old admin system.

Where is personal inventory information stored, and how do you force a save of that? That's what I want to know.

It's actually been doing force saves every ten minutes or so. I don't understand how you could be losing that stuff. And you seem to be the only one.

playing now with no problems because the render distance to Normal worked!! thanks guys

I've had a bunch of crashes, but I've only ever once lost any items from it, and it was just one type of item for some weird reason. I lost all my cobblestone, but kept everything else I'd mined more recently than that. >_>

Can me and/or morgs get admin? Wanted to add someone to whitelist last night but there's no one around with admin after a certain time here. Would be nice to have (most) all the timezones covered.

We need to get Ventrillo, it would kickass to hear everyone too

Back