Minecraft = Love

I see some of you are using the Doku pack - he's my brother. Despite him always going on about Minecraft I haven't given it a go yet!

HAH that is pretty awesome. His pack is extremely popular, probably the most popular texture pack behind kas' painterly pack (which I use).

Play Minecraft, you won't regret it.

myhouse280910.png

Connect the two paths on either side there? I like to think of everything in that little valley to be my property so I'd prefer if you didn't build through my cactus farm and lake. How about we build it underground? I was planning on building an extension to my house under the lake anyway, so it can connect up to the road if it goes underground. I'll donate/help build it if you agree to that :)

My current plans for my house are to finish replaceing the outside of the tower with smooth stone instead of cobble, build a second flood, extend the first floor outwards a bit and build an underwater library.

dude that was what i was thinking! underground is mad cool, i have the regular lights and that firestone stuff thats not as bright. should be cool

Emp and I discovered that lavafall, and since it's the most visually striking thing on the landscape (and one of the most impressive sights I've seen naturally occurring in minecraft) I was thinking nobody should develop it (make it a HL2.net National Park or something).

But I guess you could if you REAAAALLY wanted. You can easily make your own lava fall though that wouldn't be as cool because it's not naturally occurring.

I agree with Ennui. I'd like to keep it undeveloped if possible.

If you feel you MUST build your home there I would ask that you be as low impact as possible. That is: No large buildings (small wood cabin tucked in a corner somewhere, constructions should not be obtrusive or alter the natural topography or look (No gaping mineshafts or major road works, but instead discrete entrances and narrow gravel paths).

Even better would be if you could build your cabin a little ways away and allow yourself a view.

There are a few other areas that I think should be regulated. The mountain south of the spawn and any natural arch way, impressive spires, or any stunning areas should be off limits pending general forum approval.

Actually I was hoping to keep them totally separate, but I was looking over the map of the server and saw this place.

If no one has any claim on it I'd love to just pack up and move over there, leaving you to expand your castle however you see fit and Warped to build his road.

Any objections?

Although someone seems to have put down redstone torches next to it so maybe someone wants to build there already.

I think maybe I was one of the first to find that place. This has been my timber gathering grounds for a long time, one such reason it's so sparse. Was early on in the server life that I found that lava falls. Though maybe somebody saw it before me, I'll never know. Didn't have the torches then though.

20100928180639capture.png

I always thought it would be cool if there was a sort of Lava Temple built there, because it's the only natural above ground lava waterfall around on the whole map.

Emp and I discovered that lavafall, and since it's the most visually striking thing on the landscape (and one of the most impressive sights I've seen naturally occurring in minecraft) I was thinking nobody should develop it (make it a HL2.net National Park or something).

But I guess you could if you REAAAALLY wanted. You can easily make your own lava fall though that wouldn't be as cool because it's not naturally occurring.

Yeah, i was thinking the same thing. Since it's so incredibly rare, either nobody build on it... or a community designed project.

I still think lava temple would be cool. Something fairly unobtrusive but awesome, a tourist destination that showcases the natural majesty.

Someone should construct a small fence around the lavafall area. But make it where there's still a large amount of land in between the fence and lava. So it's seems like a protected area of sorts. I'd say around that black line of Raz's.

Someone should construct a small fence around the lavafall area. But make it where there's still a large amount of land in between the fence and lava. So it's seems like a protected area of sorts. I'd say around that black line of Raz's.

Mine's the red line. Riomhaire painted the black one. :p

Still not whitelisted, I guess my post got missed.
I would like to be able to join the sever.
Quixoticism

Ok I've started to mark the edges of the general area where I would like to build.

The area is MUCH larger than I will need but I'd like to have some room to fiddle with the location.

Its extends northwest/north from Lobster's place and pretty much runs till you hit water. Once I pick a sight and plan I'd be fine with people moving in to use the unused land. If someone would like to render another map I think I added quite a bit.

Now. Lobster. Since we are two of the few who have actually made planed to use this area I think we should be able to provide standards for buildings. I think a Rural estate/manner/compound style with low density would be a nice variation from the city.

I have images of refined manner houses, Roman style villas, large fields, and expansive woods. (We should add some ponds lakes and rivers as there-really aren't very many of those (theY would make a great and tasteful dividing line between our estates.)

Minecraft upper-class snobbery

"oh you certainly must try this rather fantastic wine I crafted out of two logs and a red flower" [monocles etc]

Err.. yeah.. knock yourself out! Right now I am just digging a really big hole!

I tried that. Dug right through a ceiling of another room and fell into lava.

I humbly suggest you guys make a recreation of the Temple of Fire from Ocarina of Time.

So (as KA, Raz, and Morgs will remember) today I was building my Log Cabin in the mountains, and I tried to make a bit of lava in the ground. Bad idea. I set fire to my house and lost an entire half of my 6-block-high walls. I only lost half because Raz and Morgs were totally awesome in saving my house. It was scary.
Thanks guys <3

I guess I should join the party... could someone whitelist Endyo?

I don't even know the IP...

At the risk of reposting..

16 bit redstone computer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGkkyKZVzug&feature=player_embedded

WHAT THE ****

More words from the creator himself:

More technical (read:mindnumbing, but hopefully redditor-friendly) info about my plans, if anyone's interested:

Several things will have to be more limited than the Hack specs in the book. First of all, that Hack machine expects 48KB of RAM and 64KB of ROM. From what I've seen with my experiments in making bits of memory with DFFs in minecraft, to say that I won't get that much is an understatement. I'm limited to a 300x300 block patch of land due to minecraft not simulating what happens past that distance. Plus, whatever storage space I manage to put in will not involve me making sixty-four thousand of something. The Atari 2600 had 128 bytes of RAM, that should be enough for anybody.

Also, the Hack platform expects a 512x256 screen and a keyboard. Forget that (it would require 16KB for the memory map alone, plus the screen could never be any bigger than 300x128 due to minecraft's limitations), but there are options: a two line or so high terminal of limited resolution seems the most realistic for actually getting pixels as output. Maybe a ticker can be used (something that has already been designed in minecraft). In any case, whatever's used will be what takes up the least amount of space and RAM. I'll barely have enough as it is.

The compiler (or, rather, the standard library for the language) expects those memory maps and screen sizes to be fixed, but since part of the book was coding the compiler and library, I have the sources, and can change those to whatever I end up putting together.

I'm getting ahead of myself though. Next step is looking at clocks speeds and figuring out how to make a bit of memory in as few blocks as possible...

Edit: LINKS!

An awesome Redstone Simulator that helped me figure out the design (fun fact: redstone is weird, and redstone torches will light things unplanned directions, ignore leads because they aren't bent the right way, and power stuff through solid rock that you want left well enough alone.

Without MCEdit, just clearing out the space for this project would have been a job in itself.

And The Elements of Computing Systems is just about the best book on the "everything" of the computer that I've ever read (another really good one is Code) It's amazingly approachable; if you want to learn how PCs work, and then make one that works yourself, pick it up.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/dk1au/hey_rgaming_i_just_finished_an_alu_the_math_part/

is there any easier way of remembering where you have mines or in general just knowing your way about? i'm sure in time it'll come to me but i've lost a mine shaft... somewhere.

anyway, i'm gonna start building a fancy house on a floating rock tomorrow so if you see a island surrounded by ugly ass towers and ''scaffolding'', it's mine and i'll knock all that down when it's finished.

I just finished building a large fountain north of my base, I have left two chests beside it full of stone and other assorted crap I needed to get rid of, free to anyone nearby. =)

I've been working on my steps. I still haven't even started a home to sleep in yet. when everyone is done and bored maybe we can make it an Extreme Makeover Warped Edition episode and send it into ABC

Just found a really awesome valley to the east. Far east. Like 6 to 7 minutes of walking.

mc76.jpg

2960x1050?

I can only assume that means you are using multiple monitors!

What kinda size are they?

lol, one of them is a 22" 16:10, the other is like a 17" 5:4

I stretched the game over both so I could get a good shot of the valley. I'd play over both monitors, but since one is bigger than the other, it just doesn't feel right.

Pugna and I found a spider nest that was flooded, resulting in constant squealings from the spiders (spider pool party).
javaw2010092616564452.png
Then Pugna found a bug with /spawn that would freeze his game, but reveal everything underground at spawn.
supermanz.jpg

superman2r.jpg

No no you're right I'll leave it be. But I'll be looking for somewhere else to move to.

I' loving the server, but we have some theives among us.

When i signed in last night all of my inventory was correct apart from i noticed a tunnel into the grounds of my property, and all of my iron / diamond is gone.

**** you, whoever did that.

We keep having these reports of thievery.

People, I am absolutely serious when I say that you need to stop doing shit like that if you are guilty.

And your friends, you need to explicitly instruct to your friends that it is unacceptable.

So this person took stuff from your chest or mined in your mine?

because the tunnels can get vary complicated underground and its hard to tell where one person's mine ends and someone else's begins.

As I said in-game if there IS a thief I'm sure the suspect list would be very short, there's just not many people on the server that would do that sort of thing.

In other news my house was gutted by an accidental fire :( managed to get it rebuilt though. Thanks to our volunteer firefighters BadHat and KA.

So this person took stuff from your chest or mined in your mine?

because the tunnels can get vary complicated underground and its hard to tell where one person's mine ends and someone else's begins.

I mean, someone dug a tunnel under the 7 block high cobblestone wall surrounding my buildings, entered the house that has a sign outfront saying "Kazsymonds' House", entered the house and took over 64 Iron and 3 diamond from the double chest that has a sign saying "Please don't steal from my chests" next to it. This wasn't an accident or honest mistake.

I don't have any problem with people entering my house, or my mine, and I would share my resources with you guys (I have a diamond, shovel and axe, so don't need it) but that's not the point. I spent time mining those resources, so could whoever took them from the clearly marked chest please show some respect and ask first!

Thanks to Morgs for replacing the pickaxe the server swallowed aswell (to be fair, I was exploiting the durability bug at the time).

Well that's irritating. I wonder if there is some kind of server log we can check into or mod we can install that keeps track of inventory changing places.

The only thing I've ever stolen from someone's chest was a stack of cobblestone and I felt so bad about it afterwards that I put it back along with a stack of glass and a stack of smoothstone :E

Back