Minecraft = Love

Server will be down tomorrow as I switch from Vista to W7. (That's if I get around to it, but if it's down tomorrow, you know why.)

Hah, I need it. Have never upgraded before.

its pretty easy, i went from XP to Vista in like 1.2 hrs. just make sure everything is on a secure drive off the entire computer. also make sure its not gunna rain or thunderstorm and your good to go

If that's all I have to do (backup files to another drive), then i'm good to go. Just insert disc and go from there?

I really need to buy this game. I just spent four hours reading this thread and watching various minecraft videos.

If that's all I have to do (backup files to another drive), then i'm good to go. Just insert disc and go from there?

yup easy as pie.

as for my build area, i made a water slide to the bottom of the world. there are 2 paths, both end near lava

Apparently, my dvd drive doesn't want to read any type of dvd/cd-rom. :|

fml

Server back up.

fml

Server back up.

don't sweat it man, when i did my transfer from Win XP to Vista, right before I did a system restore and lost a lot of important programs and files that are still there but aren't under authority now. it pisses me off and all i want is a new rig. I may even just buy an HP tower with the works too because that always brings me luck

fml

Server back up.

My dvd drive hasn't been able to read DVD movies for about 3 or 4 years now. It reads data dvds like games just fine though so whatever. It also decided to stop burning CDs a few years ago.

My dvd drive hasn't been able to read DVD movies for about 3 or 4 years now. It reads data dvds like games just fine though so whatever. It also decided to stop burning CDs a few years ago.

mine won't burn dvds anymore but it can do cds just fine. i bet its M$ that stopped it with all the heavy patching going on. every day i move the mouse and look and theres a new ****ing patch out there

Could be some DRM you got when you installed certain games. They like to brick your drives for no reason.

I'm still working on many side projects because this is how I work, but my giant home/mansion is coming together finally
Before:
MINE6GIANTWALLCOMPLETE.jpg
After:
MINE12.jpg

and a few others:
MINE13.jpg

mine14.jpg

i love this game!

also for laughs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO-PB6zOgEo

i haven't played in a while because i don't dare get addicted again whilst i have other work to do, but this weekend i should be back on.

So I've got an idea to build something crazy on the server. But I'll need help. It's probably going to take at least 250 obsidian blocks, and at least 500 glass. Plus about 50 lava blocks for effect and enough water to fill a large pit in the ground. Or does water not work that way?

It doesn't work that way, but if you know how and you have enough water sources, you can pretty much trick the game.

So yeah, it's possible to make a water pit/pond/lake.

Since water flows downward, the obvious thing to do is start at the top and not bottom of the area you want to fill in. Basically create your water line and the air blocks below will magically convert.

Another thing that has worked well for me is start placing them at the perimeter of the area and work your way inward. This works out well, since the more adjacent water blocks that touch each other, the quicker the annoying flowing water flattens out. Kind of like the domino effect.

Since it sounds like you want your man-made lake deeper than one block, might I suggest to you how to accomplish this:

1. Dig your hole.
  2. Create a temporary roof to your lake one block below where you want the water level to be. Basically force your lake to be one block deep.
  3. Start at the perimeter of the lake and start placing water blocks. Your lake will start filling up and you can wisely place extra water blocks to flatten it out.
  4. Dig a hole in your temporary roof to get underneath it and remove it from one side to the other. This will keep you dryish so you can dig faster.
  5. The rest of your lake will magically fill up instantly.
Of course the easiest way would be to find a preexisting lake and manipulate it into what you want to create.

I think I may have found that pre-existing lake that I wanted.

But my idea was to have a kind of dam/opulent entrance with a couple of lava and waterfalls, for a lakebottom level entrance, as well as a surface entrance.

Good luck with your lake. My lava lake was a bitch to do.

I wish I learned the checkerboard technique earlier. Lava is a lot more annoying to swim around in than water... since you go insanely slow compared to water and your screen is always shaking because of the fire damage. The checkerboard technique would have saved me tons of time. Just checkboard it out... and fill in one square adjacent to another and bam... beautiful chain reaction.

Later, I mean. I just want the admins to get ready for it.

1500 is weak. You'll need more. I just spam that shit all over the place when I have to level stuff out. God, must have used like 10,000 on my lake and rivers... just clicking everywhere trying to smooth it out.

We shall see what we shall see. What's to say I'm not building the library of Alexandria?

FINE YOU OUTDID ME

... on the lava front.

Nah man. That's not my point. My point is you'll probably need way more than you think you will... due to the process of leveling shit out(if you don't want it all bumpy and turbulent).

We shall see what we shall see. What's to say I'm not building the library of Alexandria?

Remember what the Grail tablet said? Across the desert, through the mountains, to the canyon of the crescent moon...

Whoever dug all of the sand out of the beach behind my base (the one near spawn) can go **** themself.

Back