My Gman Theory

Will

Reaction score
G-Man.jpg

Here is a plausible explanation I have developed that could explain G-man's nature.

Now, my theory, rather then having to do with some bs like "GMAN LOOK SIMILAR TO FREEMAN* and things like that, it rather has to do with the language he uses in his speeches to freeman.
Now what kind of talk does G-man consistently use when addressing Freeman? That is easy, he uses what appears to be business lingo. He constantly uses words like "Job, services, employers, investment, appraisal, offers, contracts, ect."

What are all the other references to him by other characters about?Well lets see, the supposed ambiguous reference to G-Man made by Breen is that "Freeman's contract was sold to the highest bidder."Because of this, we could infer that it is highly likely that G-man acts as some sort of extraterrestrial Businessman, a contractor of military service.

He is neutral to the actual conflict, all he seeking from it is a profit. This explains why no one who sees him, seems to hold him as either a complete ally or an enemy. Eli anxiously talks about his "mutual friend", in a way that suggests he isn't completely a friend. The vortigaunts seem to dislike G-man and his influence and possibly complete control of Freeman.

Its even possible that in the first game he was working for the Combine and helped set up conditions for them to take over The borderworld, Xen. He might of even worked with Breen to make this happen. His sides could easily change, and he is constantly talking about how he is getting new offers for freeman's service, so he pushes Freeman around and misguides him.

I could even dig up more evidence and noticed some other things before...but that generally explains it. Still, he is a big plot tool, something to keep you wondering, I could be wrong.

----

Sorry if the grammar sucks in this post. I was lazy so I just copy pasted my chat pm to a friend about my G-man theory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0arkuLskbDU

GMan is Gordon from the future.

or...GMan is Gordon's father.

Not this old cliche again *sighs*

Seriously, can't you consider a different theory. And his name isn't even gman, that's just his console script or whatever, and he was supposedly only given that name by the developers because he looks like a G-man.

Not this old cliche again *sighs*

Seriously, can't you consider a different theory. And his name isn't even gman, that's just his console script or whatever, and he was supposedly only given that name by the developers because he looks like a G-man.

I think he's just mocking G-Man theories in general. Those cliche theories have been said so many times by newer Half-Life fans (even after Valve has denied them), that they have sort of become a running gag.

Anyways, the G-Man is actually a part of an elite organization of mysterious sharp dressed men with no names. Other members include ME2's Illusive Man , RDR's Strange Man, and X-Files' Cigarette Smoking Man. Their job is to appear as if they are doing something (in a really mysterious way) in an effort to make people very curious as to what they are doing. No more, no less.

I completely agree!

G-Man was hired by the Combine for HL1 and they controlled Zen immediately afterwards but only to get to earth and then left it.

In HL2 Eli had contracted G-Man which is why Eli and Kleiner werent THAT suprised. But look at Eli's face at the start of episode 1 when he hears gordon got out...he is suprised/confused...he thought the g-man had taken gordon back into his services.

I wonder where they will take G-mans character from Ep3-HL3 onwards. The combine empire and advisors can be taken care of but G-man is neither good or bad and kinda god-like. Still he is one of my favorite characters in any game and I think a MAJOR inspiration for the people over at Bioware who created the Illusive Man who is just as mysterious as G-Man. Richard from Lost, I heard, was early on based on the g-man.

What are we talking about again? Oh yeah. That "Half-Life" thing that's been non-existent for 3 years. I'd say we're about due for some... piece of concept art or something. It's been a while. Throw us a bone! I'm excited about Portal 2... but when I learned it was Portal 2 and not Episode 3, I was let down. No excuses next year - it's Half-Life's turn!

But anyway... we're never going to learn who the GMan is. It'd ruin what makes him so cool. As soon as we learn who he is, he becomes just another dude. His mystery is what makes him such a great character.

Anyways, the G-Man is actually a part of an elite organization of mysterious sharp dressed men with no names. Other members include ME2's Illusive Man , RDR's Strange Man, and X-Files' Cigarette Smoking Man. Their job is to appear as if they are doing something (in a really mysterious way) in an effort to make people very curious as to what they are doing. No more, no less.

Lol, that is definitely possible, I mentioned that at the end of my post.

Either way, still my idea seems to be pretty possible.

who is to say Gman isn't a figment of everyones imagination or an A.I. because he stutters when he talks

His stutter is cause by the amount of dicks he sucks off-screen. Who is to say that isn't true either?

Anyways, the G-Man is actually a part of an elite organization of mysterious sharp dressed men with no names. Other members include ME2's Illusive Man , RDR's Strange Man, and X-Files' Cigarette Smoking Man.

Correction: GMan is more like X from X-Files.

Damn, G-Man is the reason we play the game.

That's sad, if it is true.

No this theory is wrong Valve confirmed this theory as being wrong..so the best information we got on G-Man is "The G-Man says that he has been impressed by Shephard's ability to "adapt and survive against all odds" in the Black Mesa facility, and comments that these are traits that remind him of himself."(he said this to A.Shephard in the V-22 Osprey at the end of OF)so we still don't know who the guy is or what does he want??..but eventually i think Valve will tell us..and jeez i hope the Half-Life Franchise lasts forever:D

in half life 1 if you use cheats and get some weapons and shoot gman he is acually part robot

in half life 1 if you use cheats and get some weapons and shoot gman he is acually part robot

Well think of it you can't kill him Valve won't let it because he is part of the storyline so using cheats or blasting him with your shotgun won't solve nothing..and he is not a robot,if you shoot him it sounds like as if it goes through him and sounds like iron,the game won't allow you to kill him that's why

uh no. it's just the code.

G-Man actually is called G-Man because of the fans and Valve made him,i mean his folder in game G.Man.dll for example or something like that

Back