North Korea Sentences 2 U.S. Journalists to 12 years of labor

jet_porkins

Reaction score
SEOUL, South Korea - North Korea convicted two American journalists and sentenced them Monday to 12 years of hard labor, intensifying the reclusive nation's confrontation with the United States.

The journalists were found guilty of committing a "grave crime" against North Korea and of illegally entering the country, state-run media said.

The Central Court in Pyongyang sentenced each to 12 years of "reform through labor" in a North Korean prison after a five-day trial, the Korean Central News Agency said in a terse, two-line report that provided no further details. A Korean-language version said they were convicted of "hostility toward the Korean people."

Verdicts issued by North Korea's highest court are final and cannot be appealed, said Choi Eun-suk, a North Korean law expert at the Institute for Far Eastern Studies at South Korea's Kyungnam University.

But [it is] predicted the journalists' eventual release will follow diplomatic negotiations.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31160497/

the penalty for spying is death isnt it? at least they didnt get a death sentence

This is a bullshit ruling by North Korea, and is completely motivated by political reasons to put the squeeze to the United States.

I would not for a second believe North Korea has a fair justice system, especially against Americans.

This is a bullshit ruling by North Korea, and is completely motivated by political reasons to put the squeeze to the United States.

OK... and the goal is what?
Right now they are acting like assholes trying to provoke the United States to throw the first punch sort of speak.

well the US has been sitting on their doorstep for 50 years ..it's not uncommon to kidnap journalists who enter their country illegally. however that doesnt mean they're not batshit insane and are looking for a bargaining chip. lets not forget that there's a 100 ton gorrilla beating the war drums on NK's border

well the US has been sitting on their doorstep for 50 years ..it's not uncommon to kidnap journalists who enter their country illegally. however that doesnt mean they're not batshit insane and are looking for a bargaining chip. lets not forget that there's a 100 ton gorrilla beating the war drums on NK's border
King Kong?

I'm not saying that the journalists, or anyone, deserves this, but entering North Korea illegally seems like a pretty stupid move to me.

I'm not saying that the journalists, or anyone, deserves this, but entering North Korea illegally seems like a pretty stupid move to me.

Some people actually care about the human beings living in that shitty environment and are willing to risk themselves to show the world how bad it is there. Stupid isnt the word I use.

Some people actually care about the human beings living in that shitty environment and are willing to risk themselves to show the world how bad it is there. Stupid isnt the word I use.
How about Ballsy then?

That..... sucks. Seriously sucks.

The US cannot afford another war right now. We need to finish up and take a break for a couple of months before we move onto something else. i bet we do have a few tricks up our sleeves when it comes to this sorta thing though

We aren't going to war any time soon i dont think. After the debacle that is the Iraq war, the Obama administration will try its hardest to avoid another potentially disastrous war. And Kim is just a rabid poodle. Nobody takes him seriously, because he cant do shit and isnt in a position to pose any sort of actual threat.

the penalty for spying is death isnt it? at least they didnt get a death sentence

He's stupid and insane, but he's not... I don't know, ready to get on US's permanent TO-DO list. I think this may prove that he isn't completely suicidal.

Lee and Ling work for Al Gore. Where's he at? 12 years hard-labor in a NK prison-camp is virtually a death sentence.

They had it comin, they had it comin, they only had themselves to blame.

Lee and Ling work for Al Gore. Where's he at? 12 years hard-labor in a NK prison-camp is virtually a death sentence.

What, you think Al Gore is just going to sit back quietly and not try to do something?

But in the end, what CAN he do? Not much. He can just show his support pretty much.

What are you expecting him to do? Send in mercenaries to get them back?

What are you expecting him to do? Send in mercenaries to get them back?

I'm expecting him to ride up into Kim's palace on a Stallion in full Samurai armor, slap Kim across the face with a purple dildo, and demand the reporters be set free.

Al Gore is ****ing crazy.

But in the end, what CAN he do? Not much. He can just show his support pretty much.

He is going to give them a copy of his global warming documentary, then tell the North that their country will be flooded by melting icebergs due to their nuke testing.

why can't we just assassinate that ****er and blame south korea....

sry numbers but your time has come to serve your country

It's okay, guys, Al Gore has made a slide show of the journalists' lives and won another Nobel Prize.

Just let japan build an army again and then the North Korea problem will be a thing of the past :-}

Just let japan build an army again and then the North Korea problem will be a thing of the past :-}
An army of sexy loli robots, dispatched to annihilate rectums using repetitive force of over 9000 joules.

Alright, Pyongyang-keedz... We haf a reeeely scarleee show for you. It's so scarleee i can hardly describe it. Oooooooooooo... It's called: More UN Sanctions. Ooooo...

-Count Floyd

not too worry. if Iraq is any indication sanctions will leave hundreds of thousands of children dead which will be followed by an invasion causing even more deaths ...Iran's future is indeed bright.

not too worry. if Iraq is any indication sanctions will leave hundreds of thousands of children dead which will be followed by an invasion causing even more deaths ...Iran's future is indeed bright.

Wrong thread much ?

Phil Collins: Your true colors ,shining through!!!!

thanks for showing us once again what you are really about it.

unzero said:
thanks for showing us once again what you are really about it.

OH I'm ON about it, alright, you'd better believe I am. yes siree, on ... about ... IT!!!

<does sign of the cobra>

why can't we just assassinate that ****er and blame south korea....

sry numbers but your time has come to serve your country

You know, it scares me because they'd prolly buy it. :p

I WILL GIVE MY LIFE WILLINGLY FOR THE RULE OF LAW!

No.

Aww Raziaar I was literally moments away from posting that myself. Couldn't find the thread.

Back