SK, once again, discovers that NK sent a team of spies to kill someone

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Who in this case is Mr. Hwang, a former secretary of the Korean People's Worker's Party.

Joongang Daily said:
North assassins foiled in bid to kill top defector
??? “??? ??? ?? … ?? ? 2000? ????”
Trained in China, posed as refugees to murder Kim’s ex-mentor Hwang
April 20, 2010
Two North Koraean agents sent to South Korea to assassinate Hwang Jang-yop, the highest-ranking official ever to defect from Pyongyang, have been arrested, intelligence and law enforcement authorities announced yesterday.

According to the National Intelligence Service and prosecutors, Kim Yong-ho, 36, and Dong Myong-gwan, 36, have been arrested. Both men were majors of the North Korean Army’s reconnaissance bureau, the authorities said.

The two agents were ordered in November by the bureau’s chief, Colonel General Kim Yong-chol, to assassinate Hwang, the former secretary of North Korea’s ruling Workers’ Party.

Hwang, who used to be ranked the 24th most powerful person in the North, defected to the South in February 1997 by taking refuge in the South Korean consulate in Beijing. Since his defection, Hwang has faced numerous assassination threats.

Hwang is the architect of juche, the self-reliance ideology of the North Korean regime.

According to the authorities, the agents were sent to China last December and received training.

The men then smuggled themselves into Thailand posing as North Korean defectors with the intention of being arrested by Thai authorities. Kim was sent to the South in January this year and Dong the next month.

“The Thai authorities send arrested North Korean defectors automatically to South Korea, and the two agents took advantage of the policy,” said a prosecution source.

The covers of the two agents, however, were exposed during National Intelligence Service interviews upon their arrivals in the South. During follow-up interrogation, the two men confessed their mission to assassinate Hwang, prosecution sources said.

Prosecution sources said the two men had attempted to kill themselves during interrogation. They are being watched around the clock to prevent suicide, the source said.

The two men are being detained at the Seoul Detention Center in Gyeonggi.

The National Intelligence Service and the prosecution said they will expand the investigation to look into the possibility that the agents were going to contact spies already in the South.

It is not the first time that North Korea has made an attempt to assassinate a senior North Korean defector. Lee Han-yong, a nephew of North Korean leader Kim Jong-il’s ex-wife, Song Hye-rim, was killed in South Korea in 1997. At the time, no suspect was arrested, but the National Intelligence Service concluded that Lee was murdered by the North’s agents.

BBC said:
North Korea 'plotted to kill high profile defector'
Hwang Jang Yop speaking in Washington DC, US (30 March 2010)
_47681508_009046031-1.jpg

Mr Hwang defected after witnessing North Korea's famine

South Korea says it has uncovered a plot to assassinate the most senior official ever to have defected from Communist North Korea.

Two North Koreans, said to have been posing as defectors themselves, have been arrested on suspicion of being on a mission to kill Hwang Jang-yop.

Mr Hwang, 87, once a close confidant of North Korean leader Kim Jong-il, defected to the South in 1997.

Pyongyang's official government website had recently threatened him with death.

The alleged plot to kill Mr Hwang was uncovered when the two men, named by the Yonhap news agency as Kim and Tong, crossed into South Korea from Thailand earlier this year, posing as defectors themselves.

They were questioned by South Korean officials during the debriefing sessions that await all North Korean refugees who make it to Seoul.

A unnamed senior official at Seoul Central District Prosecutors' Office told reporters they had said their orders were to "slit the betrayer's throat", the Associated Press news agency reports.

'Human scum'

Mr Hwang, who was once the secretary of the North Korean Workers' Party, has said he left the country after witnessing the impact of disastrous economic policies which led to widespread famine in the 1990s.

He left close family members behind, many of whom are reported to have been sent to labour camps.

Mr Hwang lives under heavy police protection at an undisclosed location and has remained a harsh critic of Pyongyang.

He recently travelled to the United States to give a lecture, telling journalists that he has no regrets about his actions.

The BBC's John Sudworth in Seoul says it appears North Korea has never forgotten Mr Hwang's betrayal.

Just two weeks ago its official government website threatened him with death and described him as a "traitor and human scum".

But Mr Hwang was reported to have shrugged of the alleged threat when told of it on Wednesday.

"Why would you be alarmed by something like that?" the Yonhap news agency quoted him as saying.

Cool.

seems kinda of needless. I mean he has one foot in the grave as it is

_47681508_009046031-1.jpg

That's actually what I thought to. I guess they don't have patience?

Shitty spies. They can't even lie right?

Eh, I'm guessing with enough sodium pentathol, electricity, and acid in your nostrils can make anyone tell the truth.

That's actually what I thought to. I guess they don't have patience?

I dont see the goal; I mean what, they want to kill him before he says more than he already has as a defector?

Eh, I'm guessing with enough sodium pentathol, electricity, and acid in your nostrils can make anyone tell the truth.

isnt that the modus operandi of north koreans?

I dont see the goal; I mean what, they want to kill him before he says more than he already has as a defector?

I dunno. I have no intention of further trying to understand what goes in the head of an alien. Er, a communist.

isnt that the modus operandi of north koreans?

Meh. I'd bet the CIA does it too.

Whether or not they actually were spies I'm sure the south korean authorities would torture them until they confessed to it anyway. You don't try to commit suicide while just being put though an interview and the only things people say under torture are whatever they think will make it stop. You'll get a confession in the end, even if there's nothing to confess.

Of course the story could actually be true.

I dunno. I have no intention of further trying to understand what goes in the head of an alien. Er, a communist.

an aline culture that's pretty much exactly like yours except separated by politics for 50 years. they should be exterminated with extreme prejudice

Meh. I'd bet the CIA does it too.

throw in the syrians, jordanians and a handfull of other despotic nations and you're in good company. I guess it's only wrong when the other side does it

an aline culture that's pretty much exactly like yours except separated by politics for 50 years. they should be exterminated with extreme prejudice

Yeah because a country that has been brainwashed for 50 years to worship some twats and has been effectively separated by 50 years from the modern world and the sweeping altering effects of economic prosperity and democracy is really anything like its neighbour.

Yeah because a country that has been brainwashed for 50 years to worship some twats and has been effectively separated by 50 years from the modern world and the sweeping altering effects of economic prosperity and democracy is really anything like its neighbour.

disimiliar culturally is one thing. numbers makes it sound like they're less than human or at the very least extraterrestrials

also why is Mr Hwang refered to as "Mr Hwang" when his name is Hwang Jang-yop. why isnt he Mr Jang-yop?

Because in Korean, the first letter of the name is the surname

disimiliar culturally is one thing. numbers makes it sound like they're less than human or at the very least extraterrestrials

also why is Mr Hwang refered to as "Mr Hwang" when his name is Hwang Jang-yop. why isnt he Mr Jang-yop?
They must not have Asians in Canada.

Back