Pesticides tied to ADHD in children.

I would have blamed pollution but this is pretty close to pollution imo. I can tell also that all those ****tards that want to make their grasses greener aren't helping that much either. we drink that shit eventually

I don't trust the media reporting on science so will ignore this.

All these chemicals, we're bound to consume it sooner or later.

Well, we know ingestion of pesticides isn't good for us. All we have to do is wash our fruits and vegetables, but many people don't.

It's good to find the reasons that people have conditions, so that we can reduce or eliminate them. I mean, we didn't know uranium was radioactive, we didn't know mercury was a poison, lead, etc. Once we know something is harmful, we can restrict, remove, or safeguard against contact more effectively.

Conclusions These findings support the hypothesis that organophosphate exposure, at levels common among US children, may contribute to ADHD prevalence. Prospective studies are needed to establish whether this association is causal.

Maryse F. Bouchard, PhD; David C. Bellinger, PhD; Robert O. Wright, MD, MPH; Marc G. Weisskopf, PhD

Departments of Environmental Health and
Epidemiology, School of Public Health, Harvard University, Boston, Massachusetts;
Department of Environmental and Occupational Health, Faculty of Medicine, University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada;
Departments of Neurology and
Pediatrics, School of Medicine, Harvard University, and Boston Children's Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts; and
Channing Laboratory, Department of Medicine, School of Medicine, Harvard University, and Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/peds.2009-3058v1

I have to agree. ADHD is too big an issue to draw unnecessary conclusions. I feel like this article has no purpose but to exacerbate worry among worried mothers.

You're probably right about that, when I look at this: "pesticides known as organophosphates".

Many of the most important biochemicals are organophosphates, including DNA and RNA as well as many cofactors that are essential for life. Organophosphates are also the basis of many insecticides, herbicides, and nerve gases. Organophosphates are widely used as solvents, plasticizers, and EP additives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organophosphate

Now, I didn't know that either, but this soundbite-like reporting hides a probably much, much more nuanced truth.

Also from that article:

Organophosphates were originally developed for chemical warfare, and they are known to be toxic to the nervous system.

:|

Opinionated scare-mongering much?

Oh god, the organophosphates are inside of me. *claws at skin*

This just in, growing up on a farm makes children bored easily, prone to distraction.

Oh, a single study showing correlation.

This could be true... but then ADHD is such a waffle-y condition I'd find it rather surprising to be down to something to simple and seemingly obvious.
Just read the full-length paper, it's fairly decent. It still relies on the rather sketchy method of diagnosing ADHD - interviewing the parents of children -.-

Oh, a single study showing correlation.

This could be true... but then ADHD is such a waffle-y condition I'd find it rather surprising to be down to something to simple and seemingly obvious.
Just read the full-length paper, it's fairly decent. It still relies on the rather sketchy method of diagnosing ADHD - interviewing the parents of children -.-
Spot on.

Edit: I know I'll get flame warred, but I don't think I really believe in ADHD as a condition, just sounds like bad parrenting to me.

I have ADD, im not hyperactive but am distracted easily, unless im acually interested in something... At school I was distracted very easily (girls and drugs! : D) but at home (painting or drawing, whatever) i could concentrate for hours on end. So basicly because of being at a boring school i was diagnosed with ADD.

I wouldnt really call it a condition (although it is seen as that in a modern day society)
I read a book on ADHD (Evolution and Revolution in Child Psychiatry:
ADHD as a Disorder of Adaptation ) saying it is something humans still have from the early days where we were hunter-gatherers and. That is why man still sometimes have colorblindess (which improves contrast and spotting movement) and ADD (making it easier to focus, while still paying some attention to small details on the side, twigs breaking, making sure you aren't the pray etc)

Oh and you get Ritalin, which is basicly kiddy coke! awesome stuff.

Another correlation study described as causation by the media.

Spot on.

Edit: I know I'll get flame warred, but I don't think I really believe in ADHD as a condition, just sounds like bad parrenting to me.

I've read a lot of the literature and the consensus indicates it's real. I was "diagnosed" as a young child and I do remember experiencing the symptoms...but now I'm almost the opposite so I either grew out of it (which is said to usually be the case) or I just had a shit ton of energy and a doctor with a loose prescription pad.

Back