Police kill 7year old during raid while being filmed for police reality show

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
The attempted arrest of a murder suspect at a two-unit house on Lillibridge on the city's east side was videotaped for an episode of "The First 48," a reality crime show on the Arts & Entertainment Network, said Detroit police spokesman John Roach.

He said Charles Jones, the father of the slain girl, lives at one apartment, and the murder suspect was arrested in the other apartment in the home.

"There was nothing but innocent people in the home where they put this flash grenade,"

The victim's family said Sunday police told them the gun discharged because the girl's grandmother, Mertilla Jones, 46, grappled for the officer's weapon. Later Sunday, Roach said the officer and grandmother may have simply collided.

http://detnews.com/article/20100517...-that-led-to-7-year-old-s-death#ixzz0oTOziSDg

Attorney for family said:
"It's worse than that," Fieger said. "It shows this in the video. There's a gentleman by the name of Mr. Robinson who lives in the home. He was out walking his dogs when they arrived. They took him and threw him to the ground and stood on his neck. He said, 'There are children living in the home. There are children in the home.' And just after that they walk up on the porch and throw an incendiary grenade into it.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2...on-of-7-Year-Old-Aiyana-Jones-Updated-W-Video

Ron Scott, director of the Detroit Coalition Against Police Brutality, said he's never heard of police using flash grenades while executing search warrants.

"That's usually done during barricaded gunman situations, but this is the first time I've ever heard of them doing it for a search warrant," Scott said.

Hopefully they'll be put in gaol, but from what I've heard of the way the justice system works that's unlikely.

so it was a duplex, and they hit the wrong side of it?

I can actually understand the use of a flashbang for a murder suspect, if he's thought to be armed. But still...this is a sucky situation.

I don't get it. Someone here is definitely lying about something. This is ridiculous.

The police officer who shot the kid is getting thrown in jail right? I mean, the whole unit is obviously filled with powertripping meatheads who think "HURR DURR IM A POLICE OFFICUUR I AM DA LAW DURRR". They kill an innocent 7 year old and walk free? The whole town should be throwing protests and lynch the ****ing cop that pulled the trigger, accident or not, they did the whole thing the wrong way.

Only in north America. But yeah it's ****ing awful. I'd want that man dead for that. And they went into the wrong ****ing house. Jesus christ.

Am I missing something here? Because the article seems to say that it was an accident.

But yes, flashbanging children, while fun, is bad.

**** accident. They should be held responsible. There is no excuse.

The cops originally said the gun went off during a fight. When it turned out a video camera caught everything suddenly there was no fight, the cop simply shot inside the house and killed the little girl as she was sleeping on a couch.

I know, I know, it's impossible to believe the police would say something then video would show otherwise.

I invite all american cops to France so we can train them a little for arms security.

There are so many weapons in your country that you handle them as toys.

This is pretty awful, but it's actually a pretty well shot show.

I live about 20 miles from Detroit, and the much of the police there are kinda ****ed up. Same is true with Pontiac, Michigan.

I think that they were either shooting what they thought was a dog
All the time I see/hear of police liberally shooting pets in raids... while this is theory of course, it is/was only a matter of time before intent to shoot an animal during the chaos resulted in shooting a human.

only in America
Save these kinds of comments for the politics section....

The number of trolls in this is insane. I do have to agree that while this isn't as black-and-white as some are making it out to be, there should be punishment for a FUBAR this tremendous.

Seven
Years
Old

What the ****.

This is horrible. That cop deserves punishment for what he did.

it is/was only a matter of time before intent to shoot an animal during the chaos resulted in shooting a human.

But then, is man not an animal himself?

/deep

Whats with all these cops recently being so trigger happy and wrong-housey all of the sudden?

It's just getting media coverage all of a sudden, rather.

YES THAT'S RIGHT I WATCH EVERY COP IN AMURKA

The number of trolls in this is insane. I do have to agree that while this isn't as black-and-white as some are making it out to be, there should be punishment for a FUBAR this tremendous.

Seven
Years
Old

What the ****.

HERP DERP

THER ONLY HUMEN YUKNO!!! WE ONLY HEEER ONE SIDEE OF DA STORY, DERPADERP

So they threw a flash bang in that landed on this girl - which I can't imagine a flash bang first hittng you and then blowing up whilst sleeping, then they shot her? What a terrible experience that must have been. I never want to wake up in that manner. It's bad enough waking up late for work.

Sad though. I dunno why cops always assume they're going in to a war zone when they explode into a house. This whole "Shoot first, ask questions later" thing isn't the way I want my police force to protect me.

It doesn't ****ing matter if it was an accident. If I was acting like a macho jackass playing with my gun and accidentally shot some girl in the neck I'd be charged with either manslaughter or 2nd degree murder. It should be no different with police.

It's shit like this that really makes me ****ing hate police.

horrible.

but some of these idiots in this thread...tsk

"lynch him"

he should be put in jail for manslaughter though.

I think it's a bit naive to believe that every single raid ever carried out by police in the history of mankind will go smoothly.

Ravioli go back to your room and listen to RATM more ffs

He should get the whole fair trial thing and be charged for manslaughter. Someone accidentally died, it just happened to be a kid.

It can hardly be called an 'accident' if half of that stuff is true. This kind of negligence is just asking for something to happen, and the fact that it 'just happened to be' a 7 year old (after being told there were children in the house) doesn't really have any bearing on this. If it were an adult or an elderly person this would be just as stupid.

Honestly, a flashbang for a search warrant? Sorry but that just screams gung-ho to me.

Seems like a fairly clear cut case of Criminal Negligence, manslaughter charge. Though an accident, it could have been prevented had the situation been handled better.

Wait, so they broke into the wrong home and got a warrant for the wrong house?

If they shot the girl with the suspect in the same room with her, then I guess you could grant them some leniency. If you search the wrong house and kill an innocent person in an innocent household? That's ****ed up right there.

Talking about killing two birds with one stone. One accident led to one mistake after another.

...And as the police drove off, they backed over the family dog.

"Another day at the office."

Inner Circle - Bad Boys.mp3

Back