Secret Santa Discussion 2011

Sliver

Companion Cube
Reaction score
bJDMT.jpg

This thread will be for all general questions and discussion relating to Secret Santa 2011. It will be the same as the last two years- you will be randomly paired with another HL2netter, each of you will look at the others wishlist and decide what to purchase for them.

Check out the sign up thread for all purchasing guidelines and to officially sign up to be in Secret Santa 2011. Remember that there is a minimum $10 for the gift you will purchase, and you must have an updated wishlist to participate.

Please post and questions or concerns you have in this thread!

Secret Santa Buying Guide: http://www.halflife2.net/secret-santa-gift-buying-guide/

I put mostly high priced stuff on my list for now, will update once the running promotion ends.

Considering that this thread may get spamtastic, I want to suggest editing your first post in this thread to state what you want the most (I think you can edit posts years old even), as such, I'll edit this post with that information when the sales start rolling around.

I would but I've already spent so much damn money on gifts for family + being a student + not having a job it is depressing to see my checking go down with no means of making it go up.

Must add some cheaper stuff to my wishlist. I bought to many of the cheap games I wanted >_>

Edit: Added a whole bunch of stuff to my wishlist.

Note to whomever gets me: The stuff in my top ten is largely by virtue of the giveaway Steam is currently doing. Under those are the cheaper titles.

I'll be joining, just got to look through the Steam Library and but some cheaper stuff on my list, and then double check to make sure I dont have them already.

I'll be joining, just got to look through the Steam Library and but some cheaper stuff on my list, and then double check to make sure I dont have them already.
I don't think you can add games you own to your wishlist (unless you have them not on Steam of course, but that's crazy talk!)

I'll be joining again!

I have 10 expensive games in my list for the competition but those are the top 10, I'll add some other random ones I'd enjoy below that. To be honest I have way too many games, but it was fun last year! :)

Also, if you think I'd enjoy a game that isn't on my list feel free to gift me that instead :)

I might be joining this year, had amazing fun with the games I have received in previous years :D

'twas fun last year but I have a rather large backlog of games to play. Maybe next year!

I'm all new to this. How exactly does it work?

All the names go in a hat, the names get drawn out, you buy a game off steam from the wishlist of whoever you've been given as a gift, have the activation link sent to your email, then send it to the event organiser and if all goes as planned you get a prezzie on Chirstmas morn from a fellow forum member and and give one to another (or the same one, depending on how the draw comes out). Also, until your gift arrives don't buy ANYTHING on your wishlist - it would be most vexing for both you and the fellow buying your gift if it emerged that you already had it.

I am, as always, poor, but considering signing up for this.

I'm all new to this. How exactly does it work?

The mods will give you a name to buy a gift for, you then send that person a gift, of the appropriate price range, that you think your recipient will like. Someone else will get your name and try to find something fun for you.

This is what I get for opening half a dozen tabs of forum posts and getting to this one last.

All the names go in a hat, the names get drawn out, you buy a game off steam from the wishlist of whoever you've been given as a gift, have the activation link sent to your email, then send it to the event organiser and if all goes as planned you get a prezzie on Chirstmas morn from a fellow forum member and and give one to another (or the same one, depending on how the draw comes out). Also, until your gift arrives don't buy ANYTHING on your wishlist - it would be most vexing for both you and the fellow buying your gift if it emerged that you already had it.

If person A has nothing but 50€ games on his wishlist, the giver can gift something that's not on the wishlist, right? And I guess I should be removing games I'm planning to buy during the Christmas sales off my wishlist.

Yeah, games on the wishlist are not mandatory, but you need to make absolutely sure you're not buying something they already own. Thats one of the predicaments you can find yourself in, since you dont know if they might have it on console or on PC but not through Steam. Thats why its a good idea to update your wishlist with stuff thats in the appropriate price range and that you want.

But really, if someone doesnt do that, and has only expensive games on their wishlist, and they get a game they already own some other way, then tough shit, they should have updated their wishlist.

Can we knit them sweaters with an image of a game from their wishlist? Everyone loves hand knitted sweaters for Christmas, ja?

As long as it's with the game itself, sure. Because if you only sent me a sweater, I'd plant semtex in your cellphone.

As long as it's with the game itself, sure. Because if you only sent me a sweater, I'd plant semtex in your cellphone.

I had to google semtex to find out what it is, and now I'm on the FBI watch list. Thanks a lot.

A sweater would actually be awesome. I totally wouldn't mind that.
NOTE: Don't actually get me a sweater. I'll ****ing gut you.

Agreed with Krynn. If you don't have a couple games in your wishlist in a reasonable price range you're being a bit of a dick about this. And if you only have one game on your wishlist, or only one game that is under €40, and I get you I'll consider you a smartarse and send you something like this. Consider yourselves warned.

Does anyone remember how long the holiday sales go on for? Is it until new years?

I hope whoever I get likes Petz Catz.

Really though, I'll see to updating my wishlist when it gets closer with proper things. I have a lot of stuff already and I mostly do secret santa to give than receive.. not to mention I'm doing some Christmas stuff on TF2R(low-tier unusual raffles lol). Got time to waste and money to spend before BMT!

First post updated with Digi's awesome new secret santa picture \o/

The thought of receiving(and giving of for holidays) gifts causes me to break out in mental hives. I hope you guys have a blast.

Well I got my secret person's name. Should probably update my own list with less expensive things now :p

This should be fun! :D
I don't envy whoever has to choose a game for me, but like I said, I'd be happy with anything! :)

I just updated my wishlist, in case my secret santa was scared they'd have to get me something super expensive. Just check down the bottom of the list and I've put some cheaper games I think look pretty neat.

I'm still going to be adding cheapo games so whoever has me, don't rush into anything.

Yeah, I'm definitely waiting for things to come on sale. And make sure you watch for DAILY DEALS, not sales that last the entire holiday period.

I don't even care what I get. Like my wishlist is mostly for Valve's wishlist contest, but honestly, I'm content with a game that they think is awesome that I might like. I just realized Valve made the Steam Store kind of hard to discover new content. I mean without delving in deeper under a separate subcategory, I can't really find just an interesting game to add to my list. I just hope my SS understands they can pick the game. As in, I want to be pleasantly surprised. I mean sure if you get me an expensive game, I will be incredibly surprised, but what I'm saying is, I don't want you to feel as though you're bound to my wishlist. Use your imagination, but don't get me a silly game like Saw or Petz Catz, please.

Thanks! :D

I will add more cheap games to my wishlist,though anyway my santa is free to buy whatever else

EDIT: 2 games I will surely buy will be bastion and rock of ages,and maybe the jurrasic park game,so best to avoid those if they appear in the holyday steam sales

I have to ask, are the current daily deals the christmas deals? Don't they normally have a large spread of everything on sale? In which case this current stuff might just be troll deals.

ed: Indeed, last years big deals started on Dec.20. Just another day!

I have to ask, are the current daily deals the christmas deals? Don't they normally have a large spread of everything on sale? In which case this current stuff might just be troll deals.

ed: Indeed, last years big deals started on Dec.20. Just another day!

Really good find. I was wondering this as well. I was going to be extremely disappointed if this was everything. :(

Wasn't sure where to post this, but anyone think we should start up a thread to trade around any gifts received from the Great Gift Pile? Personally, I have a gift that I likely won't use (got it simply from looking at the Gift Pile page), so maybe it could be of use to someone else.

Back