the puppy dog thread

thefiznut

Spy
Reaction score
who doesn't love puppies? or any dog for that matter!
lets discuss dogs and puppies, and how they make the best pets and companions.

how many dogs have you owned? what is your favorite breed?
what kind of toys do you like to buy for your pups?
lastly, what activities do you enjoy doing with your dog(s)?

itemh.jpg

here's my new baby boy, an Australian Cattle Dog (aka blue heeler). he's almost 8 weeks old, and i drive to pick him up in a few days and begin his training.

Blue heelers are without a doubt one of my favorite breeds, probably only matched by Welsh corgis. I've come to realize it's the traits inherent to herding breeds that I seek in the dogs that I own. They love to work (too) hard, play hard, and once you earn their trust, herding breeds almost NEVER leave your side. Their intelligence and willingness to please is unmatched. I once had a pembroke welsh corgi named Donovan who lived to 13 years of age before cancer took him away.

I like Kong toys and nylabones because they're safe and durable toys, and won't break apart presenting choking hazards. Put treats or a little peanut butter in Kongs and they go nuts!

DOGS!:p

I have three dogs right now. Lab/PitBull mix, Chocolate Lab and a Rat Terrier. Love all my d0ggs 4 lyfe.

except for the rat terrier, that's my sister's ankle biter

Alsatians and collies are awesome.
Had an Alsatian pup for a while, she was very baww.

2007_100721stBday0037.jpg

Me and my dog.
September2010004.jpg
After Barnz ****ed with the picture.
330rdci.jpg

We actually just got a puppy about three weeks back. She's 1/4 retriever and 3/4 yellow lab (or vice versa, I can never remember) and she actually just took a shit in her cage today so yep.

AH! great looking dogs guys.
and LOL4realz @ the photoshop of your pup.

never heard of an alsatian, but that puppy looks beautiful!
looking them up right now...

edit: Oh, its a german shephard. yes very wonderful dogs, also in the top 10 most intelligent dogs list.

I've had in my family an Alaskan Malamute as a kid, then a golden retriever, and now a Havanese and a Goldendoodle. Goldendoodles are my favorite, they're so fluffy and big and friendly, and don't shed either. I don't have a dog right now, and I want to get one so bad.

22071_1248490087525_1087640390_30672551_5831114_n.jpg

Yeah... I'll have a Male #2 combo. Large Pepsi please.

Here's my puppy Tux and the big dog is Dixie:
41178147288975299670100.jpg

Clearer photo of Tux:
41178_147288978633003_100000557040581_351559_1274824_n.jpg

Tux is a teenager dog now so he's a bit bigger but I don't have up-to-date photos.

I had dogs. I got hungry. Now I have 1 dog.

The hunger and having 1 dog has no correlation, btw. I love dogs.

I wanted to be the first to make a dog eater joke about numbers. ;-;

I've got a lab mutt. I found him at around 8 weeks when him and his litter got ditched by the road in smalltown Mexico. Since then he has repaid my kindness by eating or chewing up 3 sweaters, a pair of jeans, a pair of really expensive gloves, a down jacket, my headlamp, all of my hats, a pair of sunglasses. He is scared of buses and bicycles. I take him riding with the bicycle anyways, about 1.5 miles twice a day. I haven't got him well trained. He still pulls on the leash, but he knows not to go around sign posts. He will come when called if there is food in it for him. For the longest time he would whine whenever I left him alone. Now he is a bit more mature. He eats raw chicken quarters and fancy ass dry dog food. I don't have him licensed with the city. He is probably lying on the couch right now.

Never owned one, though I hope to. Something not particular yappy, preferably.

0CBsb.jpg

Cover your ears

Puppies are cute, but I don't like dogs. I dislike them, more specifically. They can be incredibly handy animals if they are yours. Otherwise, they are ****ing ****s.

I don't like dogs since they frequently threaten and assault humans over frequent misunderstandings. There are many other reasons to dislike them, not withholding the horrible noises and smells they make, if anyone would like to have that discussion.

I has a Scotty.

Bonnie011.jpg

Bonnieafterhaircut090.jpg

Had a Cairn Terrier before. Terriers ftw.

I'd love to have a Leonberger:
Leonberger.jpg

FOOD NAO!

0CBsb.jpg

Cover your ears

Puppies are cute, but I don't like dogs. I dislike them, more specifically. They can be incredibly handy animals if they are yours. Otherwise, they are ****ing ****s.

I don't like dogs since they frequently threaten and assault humans over frequent misunderstandings. There are many other reasons to dislike them, not withholding the horrible noises and smells they make, if anyone would like to have that discussion.

i definitely see where you're coming from.. it seems 3/4 dog owners don't have a clue how to cater to canine instincts.. in other words, they should get another pet.
can't really blame the dogs though, behavioral problems are never the dogs fault and always the owners.
fact is training a dog is incredibly simple if you take a bit of time to establish consistent rules, boundaries, and limitations..
don't believe me? most any professional trainer who knows what to do can take any crazy disobedient dog and have it under control within minutes.. cesar millan is a master of this.
they only freak out because their owners aren't displaying themselves as a leader, and so the dog feels it doesn't have a pack and acts accordingly.

dogs won't bark one bit if you exercise them daily (walking usually suffices) and stimulate their minds with a tiny bit of training.
and they don't smell either if you bathe them... can you really expect an animal to bath itself? humans stink even worse when we don't bathe TBH.

My mutt...
4256311817_7c694a6e2c_z.jpg

cute dog! what breeds in the mix is he/she?

i like cats, but good luck getting them to any of this!
this is why i love heelers! absolute devotion.

We have a Lakeland Terrier called Sandy (whom I have posted about before). She's 11 in precisely two days time but she still acts like a puppy. She can certainly be very naughty (indeed when she was younger we called her the Lakeland Terror) but nowadays she's more well-behaved, aside from occasionally going for our feet or hands. When she was a puppy she was probably one of the cutest things you'd ever see (I'm not being biased there, she really was); she was just a ball of black and tan (but mostly black) fluff! If I can get a picture of her as a puppy into my computer (we got her before we got our digital camera) I'll post a pic, but it may take a while.

maxgp.jpg

This is Maxie. Had him for 9 years now. ... & that's pretty much his life story. He's cool, I much prefer my cat though. :)

205own8.jpg

my boy :)
9 weeks now.
must say blue heelers are WAY smarter than i ever imagined at such a young age.
it took only 3 days to housebreak him and he learned commands before turning 9 weeks.
performs them every time.

We had a Rottweiler before. He was great. Long walks in the woods and other dog like activities.
Dogs that aren't mine I like to punch in the face.

nice! rotts are a great breed IMO.

when people tell me how much they love pitbulls i often find myself thinking i'd prefer a rottweiler ..similar in that they're stout and endlessly loyal, but their temperament is great.

Every so often we decide to adopt one of the puppies we foster-care for on behalf of the Animal Welfare League.

Such puppy this time is called Scruffy, some terrier-mutt with an overbearing inferiority complex (apparently caused by repeated beatings by his previous owner) - merely entering the same room as him would cause him to roll on his back and submit to being lower than you in "the pack", though he's gradually getting better:

15566016724041400861536.jpg

As keen as he is to beat the shit out of running water, he surprisingly doesn't like the taste of the subsequent mud.

When dogs roll over on their back it's a sign of submission? I notice that when I meet other dogs down the park with my dog. Coincidently, these dogs were also rescue dogs when I get talking to their owners. Always just thought they were being playful.

When dogs roll over on their back it's a sign of submission? I notice that when I meet other dogs down the park with my dog. Coincidently, these dogs were also rescue dogs when I get talking to their owners. Always just thought they were being playful.

Yep, dogs are as all animals instinctual and that's just one of their instinct. When dealt with a presence they feel is Alpha compared to them they will submit themselves to try and avoid conflict or to show respect. Kind of in the same vein, I'm sure you know that if you stare a dog in the eyes and he views himself as weaker he will yield to you in a very similar way, or if it's an aggressive dog and feels that you need to submit to him he'll become aggressive from that direct and prolonged eye contact. Monkeys are very much the same way, at least the rage part.

It's kind of funny when you think about it... we're very similar. Granted, we have our own will and personalities, but often times we act the same way. Our eye contact can mean so many different things though. It can be a sign of disrespect, it can be a sign of intimacy, or a sign of respect and understanding. Somewhere down the line of our social evolution at a very primitive level this must have had some primal basis very much like chimpanzees.

Err... sorry for this pointless rant.

Yep, dogs are as all animals instinctual and that's just one of their instinct. When dealt with a presence they feel is Alpha compared to them they will submit themselves to try and avoid conflict or to show respect. Kind of in the same vein, I'm sure you know that if you stare a dog in the eyes and he views himself as weaker he will yield to you in a very similar way, or if it's an aggressive dog and feels that you need to submit to him he'll become aggressive from that direct and prolonged eye contact. Monkeys are very much the same way, at least the rage part.

It's kind of funny when you think about it... we're very similar. Granted, we have our own will and personalities, but often times we act the same way. Our eye contact can mean so many different things though. It can be a sign of disrespect, it can be a sign of intimacy, or a sign of respect and understanding. Somewhere down the line of our social evolution at a very primitive level this must have had some primal basis very much like chimpanzees.

Err... sorry for this pointless rant.

I used to try and stare at my old dog but she'd turn her head and give me this worried kind of look and avoid me. She was abused by her previous owners we assume. Could never seem to make her really comfortable unless she was all squashed up between someone and the couch in eternal warmth.

Someday I'll get myself a puppy. Name him Max or Ringo or Hand Banana.

yes it is true that rolling on their back and showing their belly is a sign of submission.

and StarBob your dog would never dare stare you back because she knew you were higher in her pack. that's a huge no-no in dog instincts, and a good sign that your pup was well behaved. if she pulled her ears back, lowered her head, and looked slightly worried she was probably just being submissive. though depending on how exaggerated she might have been fearful too.. hard to say unless a good dog behaviorist looked at her.

Funny, that doesn't look much like an Antarctic research centre.

The little one is trying get on her hind legs to smother Sarge so he can't bite her damn face off. It's the only way Sasha can fight him, since she's about a third his size.

Back