US Christians linked to Ugandan bill that punishes homosexuality with death

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
The New York Times released a report about the link between three anti-gay American evangelicals -- two of whom live in Northern California -- and a bill in Uganda that would make homosexuality punishable by death.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/04/world/africa/04uganda.html

allegations are that the Family is behind this:

others in U.S. political circles are providing financial and political support for the bill's sponsors, according to author Jeff Sharlet

Sharlet's book "The Family" is an investigative look at a secretive group of fundamentalist Christian lawmakers in Washington, D.C. In a recent interview with NPR's Terry Gross, he broke the news that The Family's influence in Uganda is rife.

"[The] legislator that introduced the bill, a guy named David Bahati, is a member of The Family," he said. "He appears to be a core member of The Family. He works, he organizes their Ugandan National Prayer Breakfast and oversees a African sort of student leadership program designed to create future leaders for Africa, into which The Family has poured millions of dollars working through a very convoluted chain of linkages passing the money over to Uganda

http://rawstory.com/2009/2009/11/author-the-family-proposed-ugandan-law-execute-hiv-men/

christian taliban doesnt seem all that ill fitting a name

Damn, I forgot all about these guys. "The Family" are truly nutcases.

how christian of them...really.

"let's get some people killed to further our cause since we can justify it in the bible and not go to hell"

Way to go, Organized Religion. Somehow you just keep making yourself look even worse!

This must be representative of all Christian's views.
:dozey:

maybe they think that if the law is pased it will influence similiar laws in other countryes?

Evangelicals are the christians even other christians find retarded.

Evangelicals are like Islamist extremists. They both give their respective groups a bad name.

Evangelicals are like Islamist extremists. They both give their respective groups a bad name.

And both respective groups don't really en mass condemn their actions, thus giving themselves a bad name.

And both respective groups don't really en mass condemn their actions, thus giving themselves a bad name.

Also both groups give money to charities run by Christian evangelicals and Islamic extremists.

No, but it's a vivid example of religion abuse.
^This

Same shit happened during the Roman-catholic theocracies of the Dark Ages, what with the Crusades and all.

I don't agree with homosexuality, but this is truly repulsive. Most, if not all evangelicals are a bunch of corrupt douchebags anyways.

I think the average IQ level just shot up 15 points.

He said he didn't agree with homosexuality, but still thought the Ugandan bill was repulsive.

Unjustified banning IMO. I know we all like to pounce on homophobes around here, but I didn't see any rules broken.

If that was the reason that Saturos was banned, then that was one of the most retarded ban hammers I've born witness to.

I didn't ask what you thought of the ban, and we're definitely not tolerating homophobia here. It's just another black mark in the long line of bigoted offenses Saturos has earned for himself.

I do hope it's not permanent. This forum would be a different place without bigots and racists to sneer at.

I didn't ask what you thought of the ban, and we're definitely not tolerating homophobia here. It's just another black mark in the long line of bigoted offenses Saturos has earned for himself.

To be fair, I disagree with homosexuality too. I have a homosexual friend. Friendliest guy on the planet, puts a smile on my face every time we talk. Just because I have a problem with liking the idea of homosexuality doesn't mean I'm a homophobe.

Wait... you banned him for that? I thought he was just, y'know, banned. For being a douche. Somewhere else.

sp_0614_08_v6.jpg

To be fair Jet, I think the manner in which Saturos disagrees with homosexuality differs from yours. Oh also I've got a recital recording on a USB somewhere, when I get hold of it I'll send you a recording :)

Wait, so I assume Saturos has a record of being intolerant ?

Hes made some... unfortunate comments, yes.

Honestly though, I don't think he really meant to be as offensive as he sometimes was.
Just look at what he was banned for, I have no idea what agreeing (or not) with homosexuality means.

Indeed. If that post was the straw that broke camel's back, I don't see what was so offensive about it.

The guy is a horrible bigot though. I'm sure he's a nice guy, just very very dumb and prejudiced.

No. It's not.

yes it does. the video I posted is an example of a hardline evangelical fundamentalist pov that these three individuals in Uganda also represent.

It's just a shame that the only things people hear about are christians who mis-characterize what it means to be a disciple of Christ.

you're being overly defensive of your faith; you're seeing things that just arent there

The frustrating thing for me, Stern, is that you're right. It's saddening for me to see that Christianity in America is just about conservative ideology and right-wing policy making, rather than the transformational lifestyle that it calls for.

Good job Samon.

To be fair, I disagree with homosexuality too. I have a homosexual friend. Friendliest guy on the planet, puts a smile on my face every time we talk. Just because I have a problem with liking the idea of homosexuality doesn't mean I'm a homophobe.
Interesting thing is that you and dragonshirt are both American Christian boys that happend to "doesn't agree with homosexuality", fine products of those evangelical homophobes in your country...

The frustrating thing for me, Stern, is that you're right. It's saddening for me to see that Christianity in America is just about conservative ideology and right-wing policy making, rather than the transformational lifestyle that it calls for.

because it's much much easier to "talk the talk" than it is to "walk the walk"

in other words it's much easier to tell other people what they should be doing than it is to actually follow it yourself.

christianity, especially in the US, which at this point might as wqell be fundamentalism (at least the segment of christianity that goes out of it's way to be heard) is all about wearing your faith on your sleeve. it's about "evangelising" the world into something that's platable to them and no one else. this is the biggest problem I have with christianity. I'm more than content to let them do whatever the hell they wqant so long as it's too each other and no one else. but that isnt the case; they keep meddling in other people's affairs

because it's much much easier to "talk the talk" than it is to "walk the walk"

in other words it's much easier to tell other people what they should be doing than it is to actually follow it yourself.

christianity, especially in the US, which at this point might as wqell be fundamentalism (at least the segment of christianity that goes out of it's way to be heard) is all about wearing your faith on your sleeve. it's about "evangelising" the world into something that's platable to them and no one else. this is the biggest problem I have with christianity. I'm more than content to let them do whatever the hell they wqant so long as it's too each other and no one else. but that isnt the case; they keep meddling in other people's affairs

They just don't want you to go to hell, Stern!

They care! Unlike those dirty atheists who will sell your daughter for a quick buck.

Isn't homosexuality already punishable by death in a bunch of Islamic countries? With the complacency that the world has shown in giving a shit about that, I don't see how this is news.

Isn't homosexuality already punishable by death in a bunch of Islamic countries? With the complacency that the world has shown in giving a shit about that, I don't see how this is news.

this just in: things that happen in other countries are never as important as things that happen in so called muslim countries. so we shouldnt bother paying attention to them because that's what the TERR'ISTS want us to do

Back