A few questions about Canada...

evil^milk

Tank
Reaction score
1) How are people treated on basis of skin color? In other words, are mainstream Canadians super, slightly, or only quasi-racist?

2) Is it difficult to immigrate to Canada?

3) Are Canadians mostly liberal or conservative? (According to Wiki, 50% of the population is Catholic...)

Umm... I can only really answer the first one based on experience. There is certainly racism here, but not a whole lot that I have heard of.

1) There's racism everywhere in the world, but I see less of it here compared to most other countries. Which is saying something when I live in a city that is the "home base" of at least three different white-power groups.

2) I don't know much about Canadian immigration. I should. As far as I'm aware it's not too difficult to immigrate.

3) We generally lean left, unless you live in Alberta.

1) How are people treated on basis of skin color? In other words, are mainstream Canadians super, slightly, or only quasi-racist?

2) Is it difficult to immigrate to Canada?

3) Are Canadians mostly liberal or conservative? (According to Wiki, 50% of the population is Catholic...)

not sure about 2 and 3 but as far as i can tell this country focuses on multiculturalism and racial equality. i haven't come across anyone that has seemed even the least bit racist.

Well, the customs in order to immigrate to Canada are very easy, if that counts for anything...

EDIT: mindless_moder, though I have never seen full-blown racism, I have seen people joke about it for sure.

1) There is racism in Canada, but very little, and it's almost entirely old coots who havent left behinf their old values. They main seperation between people is the English/Francais rivalry, but even that is small, and in most areas is sort of a joke.

2) Immigration from what I have heard is pretty easy, sometimes even too easy. The main problem with immigration right now is that it is hard for most immigrants to acquire the same job they had in their old country. ie a man who was a doctor in china will have quite a bit of trouble trying to get a license to practise in Canada

3) 50% of Canadians are Catholic? I highly doubt that. That fact may just be blown out of proportion because many Canadians might come from Christian families, but they don't necesarrily practise Christianity (such as my self). In terms of liberal or conservative, It all depends on the area, but most are a combination. Unfortunetly this is a misleading question because Canada has numerous political parties, including the Liberal Party of Canada and the Conservative Party of Canada.

I plan on moving to Canada some day soon. Always dreamed of doing this. :thumbs:

Awesome! WHere do you think you would live?

I'm not too familiar with the eastern half of Canada. All my experiences in Canada, driving through about a dozen times, have been in British Columbia, The Yukon, Alberta, and Saskatchewan. The terrain in those places is AMAZINGLY beautiful. Most beautiful sights I have ever seen, those and Alaska.

What's the rest of Canada like?

Yeah, I agree that British Columbia, Alberta and Yukon are beautiful.

Quebec has a lot of french influences to it (who've thought?) so if you like that sorta culture.

Newfoundland has the friendliest people you will ever meet.

PEI is also beautiful, but very quiet.

Never been to Manitoba...

And Ontario is great as far as I am concerned. Lotsa wildlife, nature and outdoor activities.

As far as the other provinces and territories go, I havent been there long enough to comment.

Well the west is amazing, agreed. Manitoba isn't really heard from much.

Ontario is pretty sweet. Toronto is like the New York of Canada, but it's gotton kinda polluted and massive. Ottawa is incredible, an awesome mix of city and nature. There's always something to do, and it isn't as overbearing as some of the larger cities. Quebec is a cultural hub, with incredible sights and music, but some aren't fans of Americans. The maritimes are indescribable, just amazing. Newfoundland and Labrador are, well, Newfoundland and Labrador.

this seems sort of sparse because I'm trying to just give you general info here

Sorry for being so pedantic, but I must point out that the word you should have used in point 2 is "emigrate".

immigrate:To enter a country for the purpose of settlement
emigrate:to leave one's country of origin in order to settle in another country

i dont get it..

Sorry for being so pedantic, but I must point out that the word you should have used in point 2 is "emigrate".

lol no problem. Everyone always mixes up the two, thx for the correction :thumbs:

As for the temperature, prepare for cold, but you will never appreciate both summer and winter as much as you do up here

For the Non-Canadians reading, what temperature/weather do you have right now?

lol no problem. I always mix up the two, thx for the correction :thumbs:

As for the temperature, prepare for cold, but you will never appreciate both summer and winter as much as you do up here

For the foreigners (sounds kinda harsh but I couldnt think of anything better:eek:) reading, what temperature/weather do you have right now?

Here in Texas(Dallas), it's cloudy right now and 42 degrees Fahrenheit.

I like weather in Alaska... 10 to 20 below in wintertimes often in Anchorage Region, and summertime is a perfect 70 degrees.

In northern Mexico, 10 Degrees (Celcius). I've heard it's pretty damn cold up North.

Actually it's kinda warm right now, -6 Celsius with 6km winds and about 2 feet of snow. We usually hit around -15 at somepoint in the day

I hear there are tons of beavers in canada and that they eat kids,is that true?

I hear there are tons of beavers in canada and that they eat kids,is that true?

Beavers enjoy salty foods, so all Canadian children are encouraged to eat diets with low amounts of salty foods.

Clothing made of bark is also not suggested

Heh, I love telling people that we eat Beaver Tails.

It's True!!!

Heh, I love telling people that we eat Beaver Tails.

It's True!!!

You made Beaver cry. ;( It's so cold his tears froze too.

razibeavercrywo5.jpg

Yes, I made the image... snow and all. EDIT: Oh, but not the beaver. duhhh... :eek: I just shopped it.

You made Beaver cry. ;( It's so cold his tears froze too

Yes, I made the image... snow and all.

It's very nice, but the beaver tails wanted bob is talking about are these:

Food_Beavertail.jpg

It's basically fried dough with toppings like maple syrup or brownsugar and lemon or garlic, etc

You painted that beaver? :O

Impressive.

Heh. Lame photoshop eye candy filters. Even an inept dweeb can do stupid stuff like that with filters.

EDIT: Oh, I see what you mean. No, I didn't paint the beaver. LOL. I took an image and edited it.

The topic title has an obvious spelling mistake, naturally it should be: "A few questions aboot Canada..."

The topic title has an obvious spelling mistake, naturally it should be: "A few questions aboot Canada..."

In all of my travels across Canada I have never heard one person say that actually. The closest is "aboat" in the maritimes and Newfieland. But only the most hardcore maritimers say that.

True that. The only stereotype I've ever used is "Eh".

It's very nice, but the beaver tails wanted bob is talking about are these:

Food_Beavertail.jpg

It's basically fried dough with toppings like maple syrup or brownsugar and lemon or garlic, etc

Wtf, I thought you were joking

Does it taste like chicken?

:D

Oh nevermind, I thought you actually meant genuine beaver tails.

Any other questions? I'm really bored

And how so!

Are teh wimminz hot?
Are people friendly?
How hot is it in the summer?
Is there a marked social class difference?
Are guns prohibited by law?
How peaceful are the communities (is there robbery, rape, murder, etc)
Where is the French-speaking area?

And how so!

Are teh wimminz hot?
Are people friendly?

1) Absolutely
2) Some of the friendliest you will ever find.
3) Umm can range from 15 to 35 degrees Celcius
4) Not that I know of EDIT: Aj is right though, hockey is very close to a religion here.
5) Dunno, I think with a license it is legal.
6) Toronto is known for guncrime, but Canada isnt riddled with crime (other than piracy).
7) Quebec and New Brunswick are both French Speaking. Ontario and some other provinces are bilingual.

women, very hot
people, some of the friendliest in the world
summer, depends where, as hot as 30-40 degrees
social classes. none, except we tend to worship hockey players
it is legal to have a gun, but you have to register it and such.
sure, we do have crime, the worst place is Toronto or Vancouver. but we are a hell of a lot less violent that US of A
french is mainly spoke in Quebec, the largest province, second largest population, wiki it if you want to learn more about quebec

Are teh wimminz hot?
Teh wimminz are indeed tres (that there's french) sexy. We have our share of uggos and fat chicks, but besides that :thumbs:

Are people friendly?

Everyone is really friendly. For example on night I completely ignored the rules of the road and the result was me nearly smashing into some guy's car on my bike. He got out and started apologising.

The summers actually get quite hot like 23-30+ degrees celsius

On average no, but obviously some neighbourhoods are classy or poor. But in terms of social, no. We have rich people, but they actually do stuff that is helpful for the most part.

Not too sure about that actually. I know you need a permit for all firearms, but really the only people that have them is country folks and hunters

There isn't as much crime as in the US, barely any when really compared lol, but especially with murder this means Canadians are hit much harder by it. Murders from anywhere in Canada always make front page.

Quebec is the main french speaking area, as well as New Brunswick.french Canadians live all over Canada, but those are the ones that immediately come to mind

Welcome to halflife2.net AJ, it's safer here.

/obligatory welcome.

thanks Bob, its great here
go web go!
could you tell us all that story

thanks Bob, its great here
go web go!
could you tell us all that story

You mean this?

According to one of my mates, he was getting it down, cumed on his hand, and threw it in his girlfriends face while shouting, "GO WEB! GO!!"

This is where I got it from :LOL:

Check out the thread for more funny (or arguably false) stories.

Back