Deus Ex Human Revolution

I don't think they optimized this game very well, or maybe it's just not happy with my ATI card. I can run the Space Marine demo perfectly at 1920x1200 on high with 60fps, but HR stutters every so often. It's annoying, but not unplayable, and my computer is pretty good.

Did you get the new drivers? I think they came out somewhere this week. Just use the Steam updater.

I don't know what to say, really. It exceeded every expectation I had... utterly fantastic game.

Made me less depressed about Valve's neglecting the Half-Life universe.

Made me less depressed about Valve's neglecting the Half-Life universe.

Heh this. Game surpassed my expectations so much I actually feel embarrassed about the stuff I complained about in terms of gameplay before it came out. I think they've done a fantastic job, and at 20 hours in I am still very addicted. Hell, if the same team re-did the original to fit this one aesthetically and in terms of gameplay, I think I'd be fine with that. Yeah I went there.

Explosive Bullet Revolver is my favorite lethal weapon. I mostly do nonlethal but when shit hits the fan that gun is such a joy to use with that upgrade. It's like having Rick Deckard's gun from Blade Runner; watching some thug fly backwards from an explosive shot to the chest is so awesome. Just can't use it around civilians because of the splash damage, which makes a nice challenge.

My complaints are minor things; ebooks are rather dull, mostly technical and scientific stuff, some factual, some speculative. It's interesting at first, but it gets old once you realize that is 90% of the reading material. Other issue are the bosses. The fights themselves are dull, but more unfortunate is the very little backstory we are given on them, which makes them seem like no more that regular Mercs with a lot of HP.

Too much to say, I was worried at first, but then I stepped out onto the streets and..

..punching the break-dancer in the metro station unconscious is my new favorite moment in gaming.

Got to Detroit tonight. Wonderful game so far. I find it very reminiscent of the first Splinter Cell in terms of stealth-play. I have chosen lethal, but like ZT only as a last resort (and I haven't been in the situation yet). Sneaking around and trying to not get spot seems simply more fun.

Too much to say, I was worried at first, but then I stepped out onto the streets and..

..punching the break-dancer in the metro station unconscious is my new favorite moment in gaming.

Lol, yeah that is very enjoyable. I made a quicksave there so I could do it a couple of times.

I ****ing love Eidos and I ****ing love Asus. My netbook can run this.

If anyone's gotten to the LEOS part... I have to say it looked really awesome, but I have absolutely no idea what happened at the end there. That's toward the end of the game though. Also, my GMG review is up so you can look at that I guess. Apparently I'm one of the few that posted in the augmented edition.

thank Nixxes for a fantastic port/adaptation
Thanks Nixxes even though I've never heard of you. I'm playing on hard with no highlights and cover prompts turned off. The game runs ok but there's this annoying lag between me moving my mouse/pressing a key and anything actually happening. It must be what playing onlive is like. As such I've been playing stealth because confrontations are hard to handle. I took the tranq gun for the first level but didn't even use it. I never even saw the hostages and still have no idea where they were, so all the terrorists were ok and all the hostages survived. Oops. I also managed to talk the guy at the end out of shooting the factory manager, so at least she survived, and then he escaped.

I'm currently wandering around the first hub area and doing the sidequest involving the guys stealing drugs from HQ. The blackmail guy is trying to get me to stop two dealers hassling him. I don't have any option to talk to them so I guess killing them is the only option and I don't want to get into a big firefight in the middle of town, so I'm considering just punching him in the face and taking the footage.

The takedown moves and cover system don't bother me as I thought they would really. The takedowns are certainly more fun to execute than stun-proding them in the back four times until they finally bloodywell fall over.

Okay, so I still haven't done the mission with finding that corpse in the police station and I've only beaten two sidequests in the Detroit hub.

I have over 25000 credits and that's after buying all the augment points that are currently available from the LIMB store.

If you wonder how I got so much money: You lose a shitton of cash if you grab weapons when you already have said weapon in your inventory since then you just get the ammo for it that isn't worth crap compared to the weapon itself.

Basically, I became a walking train running back and forth between one of the 'stores' and my various victims selling each weapon individually.

Also, I am currently going non-lethal and don't have any lethal weapons in my inventory but that might change down the road depending on my mood.

Basically, I became a walking train running back and forth between one of the 'stores' and my various victims selling each weapon individually.

That doesn't sound like fun.

What's with so many people taking the non-lethal route?

I played the first mission going stealthy and loading when I was spotted, but I'm thinking of taking the "whatever happens, happens" route for my playthrough, so trying to be stealthy, but fighting when shit hits the fan instead of loading.

I'm a cold blooded murderer who kills isolated cops and hobos for fun and tries to set off every alarm and kill entire precincts, hospitals and hotels of slobbish patrons. I'm a regular teeth-gnashing church-burning curb stomping sharp-chinned Patrick Bateman. I drink my scotch with blood and furnish my apartment with furniture made from the bones of hookers and healthcare workers.

If my Jensen was any more evil he'd be the devil himself. Chaotic evil for sure.

One of my favorite things to do is do non-lethal takedowns on several characters, stack their bodies in a side-room and shoot their heads and bodies repeatedly until I've confirmed that each and every one of them is dead, most of them being innocents. I don't take the credits, they've already paid me shrieks of agony and unimaginable torturous suffering.

I look down upon the foolish folk who rely on puny darts, pathetic tazers and wimpy teargas. Besides, you know, those Jensen's are hypocrites (something aspies have already been crying about).

I have zero stealth augs and I'm more than half way through the main story and have done most of the side quests. I'm just a brick wall with tricked out takedowns and an inventory full of weaponry and ammunition (I sell most everything else).

I'm quite well mannered outside of the video games aside from dropping the occasional ef bomb if I stub my toe.

it's a stealth game at heart

I'm at Namir. I was dumb enough to get the biochip replacement even though I knew this would happen. I think this might be impossible.

I'm just being sarcastic, was saying it's a stealth game because it has the whole hacking minigame thing that every RPGFPS feels like it has to have.

Yeah it does appear and most often is a stealth game - though I must say being lethal has it's advantages.

Honestly, the hacking minigame is sorta fun. I think it was made a lot better than a lot of other games, especially where time keeps going when you're trying to do it, so you can't hack if people are looking for you.

I played the first mission going stealthy and loading when I was spotted, but I'm thinking of taking the "whatever happens, happens" route for my playthrough, so trying to be stealthy, but fighting when shit hits the fan instead of loading.

I look down upon the foolish folk who rely on puny darts, pathetic tazers and wimpy teargas. Besides, you know, those Jensen's are hypocrites (something aspies have already been crying about).
I have zero stealth augs and I'm more than half way through the main story and have done most of the side quests. I'm just a brick wall with tricked out takedowns and an inventory full of weaponry and ammunition (I sell most everything else).

I am not non-lethal, but I am of the mindset that I only take lethal action when I deem it necessary and/or when shit hits the fan. Going Chaotic Evil is just not something I would do on a first playthrough, it's fun a second time around, but killing civilians and innocents and having no consequence or acknowledgement of your socipathy from other characters in the world is so immersion breaking in terms of story and atmosphere I wouldn't even consider it on my first playthrough. That's not to say I wont go on a goof-off spree or throw an unconscious body off a building for the lulz, but I never savegame after doing that.

Anyways, going mostly nonlethal/stealth makes the firefights you occasionally go through that much more intense.

Honestly, the hacking minigame is sorta fun. I think it was made a lot better than a lot of other games, especially where time keeps going when you're trying to do it, so you can't hack if people are looking for you.

I think it's poorly explained, a lot of frustrating things I just don't get about the hacking. I end up buying a lot of autohacking tools or just search for the password because I am not crazy about it.

I think it's poorly explained, a lot of frustrating things I just don't get about the hacking. I end up buying a lot of autohacking tools or just search for the password because I am not crazy about it.

Once you get all three stealth hacking upgrades it's piss easy. I have 16 stop worms and 12 nukes, and never use them.

fortify nodes before computer fortifies nodes, profit

Sometimes have to route them/you, always fortify your starter node, good rule of thumb is the puzzles are set up to either finish quickly through snatching the final node with a gimmick or via reflexes by basically clicking all the various nodes to slow the computer down. I also recommend at least getting the aug for 2x fortification just to slow them down for the more difficult hackjobs.

It's kinda cute

Yes, and I'm wondering if there'll be any DLC, as in, I sure as hell hope so, just hope they include more "city hubs."

I lold.

Anyone actually finish the game yet?

I posted a while back that I finished it. I was talking about the LEOS thing but apparently no one has gotten to it yet so I will sit in mysterytown. My route was "stealth unless I couldn't see a good way to deal with it." I have to say stealth is not always the easiest choice. Later in the game there are so many enemies and they are so well armed (a bastard with a shotgun will 1 shot you) that you have to be really be an opportunist... unless you're playing on the easiest mode or something. It seems it's much better to stick with a few weapon types and avoid the others all together because you end up with an inventory full of guns you never use unless you're trying to FPS your way through. I found myself using the 10mm and combat rifle pretty much exclusively. Still, the game gets more challenging so you really have to adapt to situations in order unless you enjoy the load screen.

And I can't possibly imagine running back and forth from the gun dealer selling crap... I picked up guns for ammo. Money is fairly useless in the game outside of buying Praxis points and you can achieve enough credits for that simply by selling unwanted stuff normally and doing the side quest/hacking etc.

Also, the first time I saw this takedown (at 0:40), it blew my mind.
[video=youtube_share;XUhmgUljO5w]http://youtu.be/XUhmgUljO5w?t=39s[/video]

Yes, and I'm wondering if there'll be any DLC, as in, I sure as hell hope so, just hope they include more "city hubs."

If they made decent DLC, this will be the first game I ever buy DLC for.

Oh chut up, you totally bought horse armor for Oblivion. You were bragging to me about it on the phone last night after having brunch with Cynthia

If they made decent DLC, this will be the first game I ever buy DLC for.

Yeah, I will definitely do my research before buying any DLC. I should've said "I sure as hell hope the DLC will be worthwhile." As for the main game, it stands well enough on its own.

I am gorging on this game. Taking a small break at the moment before I'll start with what I presume is the final stretch. There isn't a new game+ for this, is there? I think I'll do a second run regardless.

EDIT Nevermind, I am not near to the end by a stretch. Goody. :)

Once you get all three stealth hacking upgrades it's piss easy. I have 16 stop worms and 12 nukes, and never use them.
Same.

Anyway, started playing the game seriously after my last post and stopped whoring for cash.

Just arrived in China, time for me to take a break now though.

P.S. Apparently I have played the game for 18.7 hours, I sure did waste quite a bit of time exploring and selling those weapons back in Detroit.

I like the hacking minigame though I'm not sure I fully understand it. I think I need to watch the tutorial properly. I just skipped all of them. I like the trend of minigames for hacking in recent games and I think HR > FO3 > BS for them. Also I think combining hacking with electronics was a good call, certainly better than when IW thought it made sense to combine lock picking and electronics. But the loss of lock picking is a bitch. Why'd they have to to that? Grenades still make good lock picks though.

FO hacking is too slow and after a few times gets boring. Bioshock hacking just didn't make any sense. HR hacking doesn't get boring, is fast paced and strategic at the same time and makes sense.

Yeah Deus Ex really took it to a new level with the hacking game. Each one feels like a little puzzle and if you don't have enough stealth, it pretty much is. I feel like failing at it lets you off a little too easy, but you actually have to look at it to see the best tactic. I hacked pretty much everything. Every stupid ass computer I came across even when it was extremely dangerous to do so. It was just too rewarding to turn off cameras and engage guns and robots to do your dirty work.

It would be great though if Jensen could crouch while hacking. D:

I ****ing love Eidos and I ****ing love Asus. My netbook can run this.
!! Can you give me the specs on/model of your netbook? I am still trying to ascertain whether it's worth trying to play this game on my PC (presuming I can get it to work at the capacity it used to).

Back