Do any HL2.net staff members earn any income?

Saturos

Reaction score
Other than Munro of course. He'd have to in order to keep things running here.

Sorry moderators if this is a personal question. I must feed my curiosity as I though about running a web site myself one day. Maybe host a web site via hosting service, but not run any servers myself. Too much time and work to maintain without a physical staff.

Or does HL2.net staff membership serve purely as a means of appreciation for the series?

EDIT> Ooops, I think I posted this in the wrong forum. Sorry.

EDIT> Thanks for moving this thread whoever done so. :)

Would he?
I dunno. I've never ran a web site before. I was hoping one of you would know. :|

I was thinking that maybe he earns income though all those un-related advertisements we see all over the site, as well as any agreements he has through Valve or any other third-party developer.

You know, like an e-billboard of sorts.

Not sure however if that's just related to any tracking cookies the user has on his/her machine or not though. I'd imagine the hosting service or servers wouldn't recogize anything on the users end. Still, even if it doesn't affect the server side of things, couldn't the owner of the site still charge advertisers a fee?

They get all the games on Steam for free.

That isn't payment, the Steam press accounts are tools for the content you see across the entirety of the website, and yes there is actually quite a lot of it now if you look. I can't deny we do enjoy the perks with all the Steam games, but after much blood and sweat has been put into this place. We are volunteer staff who really enjoy what we do.

Munro does gain some revenue from the adverts, but it's limited and mainly used for our vbulletin license and servers (whenever we have them!). We don't have salaries nor do we have any other overheads for the website. Valve pays for all our hosting, a gesture of thanks for the support we provide them. Upon the release of the Orange box Valve emailed us thanking us for the continued support halflife2.net provides, although the staff do their bit, we can never forget it's the community that ultimately makes this place what it is. :)

That isn't payment, the Steam press accounts are tools for the content you see across the entirety of the website, and yes there is actually quite a lot of it now if you look. I can't deny we do enjoy the perks with all the Steam games, but after much blood and sweat has been put into this place. We are volunteer staff who really enjoy what we do.

Munro does gain some revenue from the adverts, but it's limited and mainly used for our vbulletin license and servers (whenever we have them!). We don't have salaries nor do we have any other overheads for the website. Valve pays for all our hosting, a gesture of thanks for the support we provide them. Upon the release of the Orange box Valve emailed us thanking us for the continued support halflife2.net provides, although the staff do their bit, we can never forget it's the community that ultimately makes this place what it is. :)
It's alot of work to run a web site any way you slice it I suppose. How do you staff members who are 19 and up do this and hold a job, and possibly go to college too?

Sucks too nobody gets paid. Like I said before, I guess honor and appreciation is the payment.

I dunno. I've never ran a web site before. I was hoping one of you would know. :|

What I meant was, not really, because Valve pay for the hosting.

And yes, we are very grateful for the Press Accounts, but they aren't so much payment. They're really a tool for furthering our, uh, article sections.

I get paid 500 theroetical dollars a week.

I think I mssed something here.

That was almost tear worthy. If it didn't sound like you pulled it from a cheesy film :p

I've been bugging that bastard Munro to give me a raise to $0.01/hr but he just won't budge.

Or at least I would, if they weren't damned illegal in Britain and as such Munro cannot send any to me here in the gun-loving country of Freedom and Justice.

Or at least I would, if they weren't damned illegal in Britain and as such Munro cannot send any to me here in the gun-loving country of Freedom and Justice.

The above statement is false.
The statement below is true.

Ennui gets paid in firearms.

Anyway, how much would hosting this site cost?

Way more than the entire staff combined would be able to afford if Valve wasn't so gracious.

I make thousands from this site every year. Every post I make is merely a small part of the most complex and subtle marketing exercise ever known to mankind.

Also, testing out new signiture.

Man, it's huge. I don't think I can keep it.

EDIT: Ah what the hell I can afford it.

"Who what am I? My answer: I am the sum total of everything that went before me, of all I have ever seen done, of everything done-to-me. I am everyone everything whose being-in-the-world affected was affected by mine. I am anything that happens after I've gone which would not have happened if I had not come. Nor am I particularly exceptional in this matter; each 'I', every one of the now-six-hundred-million-plus of us, contains a similar multitude. I repeat for the last time: to understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Salman Rushdie, Midnight's Children (1981)

Ummm, okay, I think my brain just popped.....Is there still a million dollar bounty on Rushdies' head? I was just wondering 'cause I have this car payment and rent that is due and.......

Way more than the entire staff combined would be able to afford if Valve wasn't so gracious.

Are we allowed a figure?

I'm now intrigued as to the financials behind HL2.net.

Are we allowed a figure?

I'm now intrigued as to the financials behind HL2.net.

I have no idea, but we get extremely heavy traffic and I imagine it'd be at least $400-500 a month, if not over $1000.

I keep them safe. They provide me with lulz.

Back