Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

how do you look at Items more closely in the inventory?
zoom and all that like in the Preview vids?

I was really disappointed with Oblivion from Morrowind (Morrowind is, in my opinion, the best game ever made even with it's bugs), but this is an AWESOME game. Really good. Seems to be sort of dumbed down for consoles though that's the only problem. Still freakin sweet game though. Leagues ahead of Oblivion.

It is even more casualized than Oblivion, no doubt.

You don't have to plan your leveling like you had to in Oblivion to make sure you got the highest bonus multipliers when increasing attributes and such.

However, personally I don't mind, I expected a fairly casual game when I bought Skyrim, casual but fun and that is exactly what I got!

Runs like crap on my temporary 240gt (as expected). Cant wait for my new card to arrive so I can crank this baby right up.

Yes the mouse lag seems to be tied to fps - when it's smooth, the mouse movement is fine, when it's laggy, mouse movement loses sync and y movement is much slower than x. Bizarre. It also seems to be worse during cinematic sequences for some reason.

Absolutely hating the inventory, only seeing one item at a time and having to pause the game to switch weapons or change armour really sucks. And I can't drop anything from my inventory, R doesn't do anything :angry:

As with Oblivion, the ini file is the key... hopefully a lot more settings will emerge as time goes on to make this prettier and smoother, it is what sets the pc apart from the console. This and the greatness that are mods.

Err, CR0M, you are aware that you can hotkey items?

After you've selected an item as Favourite in the inventory, enter the Q menu and scroll to it, then press any number key to assign it to that key.

That way you can switch weapons, armor, spells etc in real-time easily.

While I don't trust the gamespot site, one quote stuck out

Supposedly, it also has "witty writing" which I find hard to believe, perhaps Bethesda hired a decent writer or two (or gave them ritalin). IGN praised Skyrim for its quality content as well. We'll see, I certainly wouldn't mind these things being true.

The writing that I've actually read (I've already encountered like 30 books so far) has been fairly decent. Also, some big dude with an axe came flying out of the fog at me and scared the shit out of me. Finally, an important thing to note - I caught some bees.

I am quite sure that just like in Oblivion, a big amount of the in-game books are from Daggerfall/Morrowind.

I take it that by "witty writing" in the reviews they mean all the writing, including dialog and such.

I ****ing hate the controls. I mean I HATE them. It's not intuitive whatsoever.

Other than that, the game is amazing.

Notable Oblivion impovement, no more face zooming to talk to people.

As for the menu, it's simplified clearly for console use. The effort to make it console friendly kind of made it clunky and bland. I can't say I like it, but one positive aspect of it is that it compares selected items to what you're wearing. Every RPG should have something like this... it's been woefully neglected and is amazing for games that have you collecting assloads of junk. The quick-spell/item thing is nice though... even though I still haven't figured out how to cast Adrenaline rush (I'm always a redguard). The same sort of goes for the controls... very console-y. I sort of started getting used to them and I think I will ultimately, just not what you expect.

I find it weird that you don't pick any starting stats. It's neat, just weird for Elder Scrolls. You just start doing whatever you want and go from there.

Err, CR0M, you are aware that you can hotkey items?

No I wasn't aware of that, thank you - that will save a heap of time. Only had an hour or so on it last night, not going to touch it again until I can run it in all it's glory.

Man, talk about overhyped. New engine? Could have fooled me. I am running the game on ultra and can't say that i am impressed. This is hardly an improvement over the Gamebryo engine. The character models and animations are of the same quality and so is the clunky combat. I was expecting the combat to be along the lines of Dead island where every weapon swing really feels like it connects with the enemy and pushes them in the appropriate direction according to the laws of physics. Meh.

It is definitely not a new engine, just a refreshed Gamebryo. But, Skyrim on Ultra (which runs great on my 5870) definitely graphically looks a generation better than vanilla Oblivion, and even noticeably better than a completely souped up Oblivion (I'm using pretty much all the well-known texture mods in my new install, mostly from here. The stock UI is garbage, as is the pace of leveling and chew-the-lead-paint-chips difficulty. Despite my earlier statement, I gave it one more chance this morning, and played for about three hours. I really see the potential, but I'm going to shelve this for awhile until the modding community makes this the grand experience I am waiting for.

man you guys are funny. a little texture blurriness and you run to the hills. unless the character models look like stickmen I couldnt care less if it looks like souped up oblivion

The writing that I've actually read (I've already encountered like 30 books so far) has been fairly decent. Also, some big dude with an axe came flying out of the fog at me and scared the shit out of me. Finally, an important thing to note - I caught some bees.

Yeah, well, Bethesda's writers finally seem to be aware of sarcasm, which is a good thing (and gasp--your character can use it in dialog!). I haven't read any books but the dialog between characters in the world seems to be an improvement over Oblivion. I've noticed other improvements, such as the music, general environment design, and the joining of one faction cancelling out the ability to join another particular faction.

As far as the PC controls, sadly I had to buy this on 360 because my computer's video card means I won't have hopes of running it, and my financial situation means I wouldn't be able to get an upgrade/new computer for quite some time, and I'm not one for delayed gratification, so I can't comment on the state of the PC controls but it is unforgiveable that Beth would shaft PC users in this way.

Anyway, everything seems much less generic in Oblivion, from the few hours I've played so far, but that could change.

So... is the verdict "wait until the modding community fixes shit"?

Wonder if they'll have something by Christmas.

This is absolutely hilarious. I'm starting to warm up to this game, the bugs seem endearing rather than game-breaking so far.

They stated they were leaving in any "fun" bugs. So they balance out all the actual serious bugs that come with Bethesda games. But yeah. The bugs I've seen seem funnier than bad.

The character models and animations are of the same quality

Are you ****ing kidding?
skyrim-vs-oblivion.jpg

Has anyone had problems installing a retail disc, it keeps on trying to download from Steam?

Keep on getting a 'The Steam servers are currently too busy to handle your request. Please try again in a few minutes', despite trying to force it to install though disk.

Are you ****ing kidding?
skyrim-vs-oblivion.jpg

No. I am not kidding. That's my opinion.
Here you go http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/opinion

They may have more polygons but the models and animations are as crappy as they were in Oblivion. Lifeless and bland. None of this matters since the main aspect of the game, the gameplay, is clunky, slow and just downright ****ing boring. The combat is not fun nor is it gratifying in any sort of way. Once again, most of the money appears to have went into the marketing instead of the development of the game. This seems to be the latest trend these days. Just a bunch of overhyped bullshit.

The certainly have some issues but they are a huge step up from Oblivion. I like it.

so what's the verdict so far?

Oblivion with umg HD Grafiks? Or have they actually tried to fix any of the previous game's flaws?

That's my opinion.

Then your opinion has no merit or validity because the character models are clearly in no way of the same quality... as virtually anyone with fully functional eyes and the ability to compare and contrast would admit. It's also my opinion that the animations are improved from Oblivion as the actions that the models take include more full body movement instead of merely arm and slight torso maneuvers.

I think the problem is obviously that you came in to The Elder Scrolls expecting something that was never a part of The Elder Scrolls... The gameplay has never been sleek, fast, or overly exciting. The allure has an always been the sheer breadth of the game and the level of immersion that it brings to the player. It's about quests, lore, and exploration and a sense of self accomplishment. Aside from some relatively minor things like a clearly console-tuned menu, the game has all of the qualities of previous Elder Scrolls games and some of the variety it needs to be worth purchasing.

The character models are way, way better than oblivion. Actually makes me want to play more races.

No. I am not kidding. That's my opinion.
Here you go http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/opinion

They may have more polygons but the models and animations are as crappy as they were in Oblivion. Lifeless and bland. None of this matters since the main aspect of the game, the gameplay, is clunky, slow and just downright ****ing boring. The combat is not fun nor is it gratifying in any sort of way. Once again, most of the money appears to have went into the marketing instead of the development of the game. This seems to be the latest trend these days. Just a bunch of overhyped bullshit.

You are a die-hard cynic. You really think that development is just a pile of money that is siphoned into either marketing or something nebulously titled "gameplay"? Oh yeah, guys, we need more gameplay. Go ask Todd for his mastercard.

Edit: Forgot the reason I came into the thread! First, bunch of performance tweaks and shit: http://neogaf.net/forum/showthread.php?t=451616

Also, ****in, best quick look, like, ever.

^^That. Oblivion had a few catchy tracks but by and large they were pretty annoying. I get Skyrim's tracks stuck in my head and I don't want to kill myself...yet.

Aside from that, it really does seem the devs were paying homage to Morrowind with this game, not just with the re-mastered track, but the other references as well. Such as the "New Gnisis" nightclub (or whatever) in Windhelm.

I found m'iaq the liar or whatever the name is, wandering in the wilderness.

Also right now I have a dragon circling high above me and I can see another one flying around a mountain in the distance.

Help!

also, my housecarl seems to have disappeared...

Hmm, so I admit this game is growing on me....like mold on month old cheese. I still can't get the controls to smooth out, which is annoying. However, the rest of the game (minus a few pet peeves) is pretty damn good. It is beautiful on high settings with a couple tweaks thrown in. I find myself actually quite enjoying just meandering around the forest, freezing deer and what not. Finally completely a quest, which had a satisfying ending. I'm also impressed with the NPC AI as far as feeling so much more alive than oblivion. I used to hate walking into a city and just having people standing around or walking in circles. But in skyrim, people, work drink, go back home and seem to always be doing some random job.

I also found myself giggling and sprinting as fast as I could into the bushes while playing hide and seek with the kid in one town. That finally won me over as I realized just how immersed in the game world I had become.

I can't wait for some good mods. It's already starting so much better than oblivion. Mods are going to make it amazing.

Has anyone else found the creepy old witch sitting outside her house in the woods? I'm wondering what she's about.

Haven't encountered a dragon yet aside from the one in the opening town, I'm wondering if you have to be at a certain spot in the main story for them to start appearing. I heard the MQ gets better as it moves along, but I've barely touched it.

I'm focusing on the DB and Thieves Guild. I'd give my impressions on the DB, but too tired atm.

For me, random dragons started appearing randomly after a very early part of the main quest.

I was doing some random quest for some kid who thought I was the Dark Brotherhood and on my way to do his errand I encountered one. A giant and two mammoths were fighting it then I joined in. Other than that I've seen 2, both of which I hid from because they are bastards to kill. Seen lots.

So far I love this game, this is what Oblivion should have been. The skill system is really different but really cool I think, the addition to smithing and the RE-addition of enchant is awesome. Why they took enchant out of oblivion is beyond me... Everything looks awesome. Not like the best ever, but still up there. One thing that's been pissing me off is that I keep finding these pits and stuff with entrances in them to dungeons. What if you didn't want to go to a huge long-ass dungeon? Or what if you encounter an enemy that REALLY strong or a bunch of them and CAN'T get through? You gotta load a save from before you fell in, and if you don't save often like me you gotta figure out a way through them! Why? NO CHEATS YET

This game is definitely made for consoles though.. I hooked up my PC-XBOX controller and it just seems WAY more intuitive for a controller. When I first started it was really hard to get used to on a keyboard and mouse. It was easy as shit to pickup from the controller.

Either way not as good as Morrowind (said this a million times), still an awesome game I think.

Haven't encountered a dragon yet aside from the one in the opening town, I'm wondering if you have to be at a certain spot in the main story for them to start appearing. I heard the MQ gets better as it moves along, but I've barely touched it.

I'm focusing on the DB and Thieves Guild. I'd give my impressions on the DB, but too tired atm.

Follow the main quest, it's hardly a spoiler that you fight one as part of it, and then they randomly appear from that point on.

Oh, and dont expect it to be a cake walk either. They're very tough and deal out more damage than you think. Also great that I only realised you can cast a healing spell and fire this whole time when I've been dying in solo battles against the dungeon mini-bosses. My own fault for not looking into the magic section and assuming it was like Oblivion this whole time.

I'll move onto dragons once I can take down the damn sabre cats!

I've done one actual quest and one random dungeon crawl and I've played for four hours according to Steam. The map looks kind of small when you look at it but dungeons aren't little five minute romps through caves. Both dungeons I've been in has been as significant or more so than the most complex dungeons in Oblivion. I like that. I hope it's a common thing.

Back