Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

So you do, but you're missing the larger picture. Skyrim restricts the full use of your keyboard and forces you to alter a set-up that you might have been using for years. Does not that bother you in any way? It sure perturbs me. I actually wouldn't be surprised if some right-handed players out there are also furious. Hopefully Avoidist is right and a patch arrives soon, or I will stay away from this game.

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=88#

Ok, stealth dagger kills are now my favorite playstyle.

So I found this:

You really should spoiler-tag that shit.

Or I shouldn't read this thread since it's bound to be full of spoilers.

Only reason I am reading it is that my trusty old Logitech MX518 died after three years of faithful, brutal service and now I can't play Skyrim until I get a Logitech G400 tomorrow to replace it.

You really should spoiler-tag that shit.

Or I shouldn't read this thread since it's bound to be full of spoilers.

Only reason I am reading it is that my trusty old Logitech MX518 died after three years of faithful, brutal service and now I can't play Skyrim until I get a Logitech G400 tomorrow to replace it.

Why? It's a mod. I meant I "found" the picture, not "found" it in the game.

What the shit? I just got ambushed by two dragons back to back.

Just killed one(orc berserker rage is awesome) and another one lands right near me.

And it dies without me doing anything... what the shit?

EDIT: I just realized how much I love the phrase "what the shit"

Uploading a video on the dragon killing itself right now. It's so weird.

Magic looks so much better in this game, so many cool spells added. Especially for illusion/conjuration.

He had an Achilles heel that he didn't know about.

Only played my first hour of the game but its very polished from what I've seen. Funniest glitch though was me hunting a rabbit and it practically ran across this little creek at full speed and was impossible to kill so I just laughed as it ran away in the distance. Also I got this nice warm fuzzy feeling when I walked into the first home I could see. I love games like this and I'm so glad this game is finally out

My great Dilema:
Play skyrim in eyefinity but high only graphic setting, or play skyrim on ultra graphic setting but no eyefinity.

I don't know which to choose ):

^I guess he didn't judge his landing speed very well.

Tip for those just starting the game. Just WASD and "E" to navigate the menus ("E" works as "enter") rather than mouse clicking. Saves a lot of aggravation.

Don't read if you don't want a large spoiler.

I found this poor little werewolf locked up in a cage. So I let him out and I've been bringing back all the guards in the dungeon to show them what I found. So far he's a big hit with my new friends. Keep having to dodge flying bodies though.

After I upped the saturation and turned down the brightness a little magic now looks amazing. Going to have to start a destro mage.

^I guess he didn't judge his landing speed very well.

Tip for those just starting the game. Just WASD and "E" to navigate the menus ("E" works as "enter") rather than mouse clicking. Saves a lot of aggravation.

Just figured this out, makes menus a lot easier to manage, if a bit slower. I kept getting a glitch where clicking a dialog option would occasionally select one further up the list, which was really annoying. Whatever, it's not so terribly broken that I can't put up with it until someone mods it (on the other hand, the skill constellations can get ****ed).

Also, switch shift for alt. Really puzzling key binding there, as I've never once ran into the need to walk, but I sprint all the time.

Let me get this straight: Bethesda actually learned a lesson or two about balancing from the abysmal gameplay of Fallout 3 and Oblivion and the game's actually a challenge this time?

Let me get this straight: Bethesda actually learned a lesson or two about balancing from the abysmal gameplay of Fallout 3 and Oblivion and the game's actually a challenge this time?
Not really, I'm on Level 32 and have only really felt challenged maybe three times in the game so far.

But then again, I have spent a lot of time grinding smithing and enchanting, thus increasing my level without doing combat.:p

Yeah it can be challenging, each 'boss' fight for me has been going into it knowing I might not come out of it. But maybe I just suck.

My great Dilema:
Play skyrim in eyefinity but high only graphic setting, or play skyrim on ultra graphic setting but no eyefinity.

I don't know which to choose ):
You poor man. No one should have to suffer like that.

I think kitfox is a girl. also MY EYEFINITY

Alchemy help!!!

how do I create a potion without knowing what the formulas are? do I have to find recipes or a trainer or something?

Is there a list of race Male/Female starting stats?

@Stern: Eat the ingredients and you'll learn what effects they have. Gotta play guinea pig first.

ahhhh ok that makes sense (not really) thanks for the tip dog

and for no particular reason here's a dog doing a jig

funny-gif-Puppy-dog-tastes-lime%255B1%255D.gif

@Stern: Eat the ingredients and you'll learn what effects they have. Gotta play guinea pig first.

well **** that makes sense. I didn't know this either.
Gonna be at work for the next 9 hours but no doubt I'' play like a mad man when I get home.

I actually figured it out by accident. I had like a million ingredients and to get rid of them I just ate them all.. Nearly killed me when I exited my inventory :cheese:

Just don't get the game man, both you and I know you're probably not going to like it. You're terribly opposed to Bethesda games.

I'm opposed to bad design and bad craftsmanship. I have nothing against Bethesda games if they are good. I love Morrowind and its expansions, for instance.

Okay, I don't think I am crazy...

Has anyone noticed that MANY sounds in the game follow the same pattern as the Skyrim theme song? If you do something in a pattern of 3's it will follow the same beat pattern. For example, go into the skill window and flip through three different skills. Pull out a a one handed weapon, swing it three times. Start running and bunnyhop three times. Almost every time it will follow the pattern.

Talking about the "huh.. huh.. HAH" It really doesn't seem like a coincidence at this point. I think it's intentional.
0:07-0:28

I'm opposed to bad design and bad craftsmanship. I have nothing against Bethesda games if they are good. I love Morrowind and its expansions, for instance.

Having a vague idea of what your preferences are, I can't heartily recommend Skyrim. However, Skyrim seems to trump Oblivion in certain areas, even if by a narrow margin. The environments and atmosphere seem to be the biggest improvements, especially in the sense of being less generic and more detailed. The voice acting is more varied but isn't really impressive and in some spots can be cringe-worthy, but overall is an improvement over OB. As for the writing/story, I've only played the Thieves guild/DB for factions, the thieves guild has the most well-written story out of the two (and beats anything in OB), but DB's overall goal and twist at the end made it very interesting. The main quest is interesting, and at least the characters have divergent opinions. I've also noticed undertones of racial conflict (nords vs. elves). In general, I'd say the writing is an improvement over OB but that isn't saying much.

As far as difficulty, there is less hand-holding than in OB, I've had my rump handed to me a few times.

I think someone over at NMA summed it up best, at the very least Skyrim has "soul" if only in specific areas such as visual artistry.

Having a vague idea of what your preferences are, I can't heartily recommend Skyrim. However, Skyrim seems to trump Oblivion in certain areas, even if by a narrow margin. The environments and atmosphere seem to be the biggest improvements, especially in the sense of being less generic and more detailed. The voice acting is more varied but isn't really impressive and in some spots can be cringe-worthy, but overall is an improvement over OB. As for the writing/story, I've only played the Thieves guild/DB for factions, the thieves guild has the most well-written story out of the two (and beats anything in OB), but DB's overall goal and twist at the end made it very interesting. The main quest is interesting, and at least the characters have divergent opinions. I've also noticed undertones of racial conflict (nords vs. elves). In general, I'd say the writing is an improvement over OB but that isn't saying much.

As far as difficulty, there is less hand-holding than in OB, I've had my rump handed to me a few times.

I think someone over at NMA summed it up best, at the very least Skyrim has "soul" if only in specific areas such as visual artistry.

Opinion is opinion of course, but I have to disagree. While there is still a lot of room for improvement I think skyrim is 10 times better than oblivion. I am so much more immersed in this game than I ever was in obiivion.

Speaking of difficulty, I've certainly ran into a lot of challenging situations on master level.

^^Perhaps I worded my post wrong, but I do agree for the most part. Certainly from what I've heard the UI drops the quality by a fair bit, but I'm playing on 360 because the possibility of me getting a new gaming pc is slim, so I'm not affected by it.

When others say Skyrim has been dumbed down, I think for some reason they are ignoring the new avenues of choice it offers (spending dragon souls on specific shouts, for instance, or perks). Also, joining one faction can make another quest to join a different faction fail. There is also a veritable plethora of side-quests, Oblivion seemed so sparse in this area.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that this game isn't Morrowind, skills have been melded together and such (of course others have been added), and others might not prefer it. For me, Skyrim is a vast improvement over Oblivion in general, even though I still have much content to get through, but others might not feel the same.

Finally, my words can't do the environments justice, as exploration is a large part of games like this, I very much appreciate the fact that such attention to detail was put into them.

This comment perplexes me. Morrowind and it's expansions, while the greatest game on earth in my opinion, were FULL of bugs. Almost as bad as stalker. Bugs = "bad design and craftsmanship"

I really hate that combat is still stale as four week old milk left out of the fridge. Why the **** can't Bethesda get this right? And I had to tweak the ini to get mouse acceleration off like so many have said, so ****ing stupid. The PC versions of these games are seeing less and less attention - not that I'm surprised. Also had a crackling sound bug that made me have to change the mhz of my sound output. joy.

If I swing a goddamned broadsword directly into someone's face I expect them to do a little more than just flinch backwards half an inch. The finishing move feels tacked on when the actual combat was daft and awkward to begin with. How droll.

At least it's beautiful to explore. Flimsy main story, gave up on it as soon as the introduction was over. Now I'm just running around killing innocents and stealing shit.

FUUUUUCK. I've been wasting so many ingredients doing it my way. I was just combining ingredients to see their effects, meaning when they weren't combinable I learned nothing and destroyed multiple items each time.

Funny how this game works. I was about to look online on how to join the Dark Brotherhood when the Brotherhood 'found' me. Looks like I am going to put all my other activities in Skyrim on hold for a while.

Eating ingredients only gives you their first property, you've gotta mash stuff together until something sticks to find the rest. It gets easier as you go on, and you still gain alchemy skill for failed potions, so it's not that bad as long as you're pulling in lots of ingredients. If you feel like doing some digging (of the non-wiki variety), I've found a couple of books that mention alchemy recipes, and at least one alchemy vendor who'll sell you one.

I'm still pretty impressed by the game, but I'm seeing more and more of that signature Bethesda awkwardness as I go on. The unsolicited conversation from strangers as you pass within a few feet of them really grates my nerves, especially when I'm trying to listen to someone else and they not only interrupt but make that person's dialog quieter. One time I was talking to a guy and his wife approached, asking me if I was looking for her husband as I stood there talking to him. Besides that, the incidental dialog still seems really stilted. When I approach someone and his opening line is literally "I'm the captain of the guard!" then I have to question whether the person who wrote this really cared about how believable his characters were or if he was just churning it out in crunch time. And it's like this for practically all of the minor characters I've encountered - they just spurt out mundane facts about what they do around town repeatedly, as though that's a natural thing for people to do as you pass them by. For ****'s sake, I don't think I've heard a single character just stop and say "hello." It's much better when you're actually talking out a quest or something, but it's still not going to win any awards.

Found some excellent books, on the other hand. :)

One time I was talking to a guy and his wife approached, asking me if I was looking for her husband as I stood there talking to him. Besides that, the incidental dialog still seems really stilted. When I approach someone and his opening line is literally "I'm the captain of the guard!" then I have to question whether the person who wrote this really cared about how believable his characters were or if he was just churning it out in crunch time. And it's like this for practically all of the minor characters I've encountered - they just spurt out mundane facts about what they do around town repeatedly, as though that's a natural thing for people to do as you pass them by.

Yeah it's quite bad sometimes. Did anyone notice how terrible the dialogue was between you and that mage before you slay your first dragon? It was realllyyyy bad, even by bethesda standards.

Yeah, that mage was ****ing cringe worthy. It was like one of the developers voiced it as a stand in, and it simply got forgotten and was never replaced by a real voice actor's performance.

I just thought he was actually supposed to be half retarded.

Back