Films: Rate and Discuss

That's generous as hell. I'd say 4/10

To each their own, but that's the kind of rating I would give horrendous movies like Starship Troopers 2, anything lower is reserved for Uwe Boll's "master pieces".

True Grit - 8.5/10...

What a joy this film was to watch.
Aside from a fairly formulaic plot that's a bit simpler than what the Coen brothers usually do, it definitely had their signature touch to it.
Plus, it's a remake of a much older Western so there's that, though I'd take this one over the original any day just because I'm not really a big fan of John Wayne.

One of the better movies I've seen this year so far.

Airheads 10/10

I was unsure what this film was like and to be completely honest, I loved it.

As a metalhead,i thought this film was really good.Brenden Fraser, Adam Sandler and Steve Buscemi do their best as the band that takes the Radio station hostage with Water pistol Uzi's.With a good soundtrack featuring The Ramones, Aerosmith and a Live performance by White Zombie.It is a great film that makes you laugh, MTV's classic TV heroes
Beavis and Butthead calling in to the station is a amusing scene and so is the whole film.I recommend this film and trust me, it ain't a film you regret watching.

Moon - 8/10

Finally got around to seeing this. Pretty good. I liked that....

Gerty the computer was good, not evil. It's a pretty obvious cliche to break, but really refreshing.

Also liked that it has a lot of heart, for lack of a less cheesy expression. Pretty sad at the end. Only "con" was that I laughed a little at parts that probably weren't intended to be funny, just because the concept that the entire film revolves seemed a tad too absurd to me. Soundtrack was nice -- sparse but effective.

Also,
The Fountain - 6/10
It was alright. The soundtrack was good, and some of the imagery was pretty. I didn't like Rachel Weisz's performance in this though. It seems her character of Izzi was supposed to be kind and graceful, but it came off as slightly psychotic to me. Like she was talking too slow, and too much like a hippie nutcase. It felt uncomfortable to watch. Looking at IMDB, this doesn't seem to be a common complaint, so maybe it's just me. The first scene where this really irritated me was when they're looking through the telescope and the dialogue is something like: "It's a nebula wrapped around a dying star. :upstare:" "Since when did you learn science." "High school *giggles*". Maybe my perception of the rest of her acting was ruined by that one scene.

Hobo with a Shotgun - 8/10. Excellent, gratuitous, supremely quotable fun. More than makes up for the crock that was Machete.

'I'm gonna wash this blood off with your blood'

Final Harry Potter - 9/10

Kiss was crap and poorly timed, so much for that hype, something tells me Emma has almost no experience in that department judging by the way she slammed her face into Rupert's. Almost looked painful.

But damn. Wow. This whole franchise has really given me hope when it comes to the UK film industry; we can create some damn good films, not often at all, but when we create a good one, sheesh. Dear god we have some incredible actors. Alan Rickman just stole every scene. Oscar much?

The whole film felt polished and was epic from beginning to the rather drab and rushed ending. Its almost like they went ''woah, is that the time? x and y people still need to die, lets speed that up.''

A real high to end on the world's biggest filming franchise.

And secretly Im sad to see it go. It really does feel like a part of my own teenage years and is something you'll always remember, like Attenborough.

Source Code - Something like 5/10. It was OK for an action film, but nothing very interesting was going on in there.

Limitless - Hard to say what common fraction I would give it, but I think I enjoyed it more than Source Code.

Wrecked - The premise kind of reminded me of 127 Hours, but it had its own thing. I think I would give it the rating of OK/10.

Insidious - This one's plot summary on the other hand, reminded of Paranormal Activity, but didn't really go that road. I like some of the ideas for the bad guy and it had some creepy moments.

Quarantine 2 - Watched this basically, because I really like watching zombie movies even if I don't expect them to be good. And it wasn't. I don't like zombies that are superhuman fast or can climb on the ceiling either.

Spirited Away - I highly recommend seeing it
I really enjoyed this film but I don't think I have the words to express why in anything more than vagaries and a few sentences. I guess I don't have the vocabulary. The art is just lovely and a joy to watch. I'm not sure how else to put it other than you could probably just watch random scenes from the film without dialogue and still get some enjoyment out of that. As for the actual story and plot, it's basically a fairytale and I loved that. There are a lot of elements in it common to various tales and folklore that you can spot and although the events are pretty bizarre and sometimes seem pretty random I think the whole fairytale...ness of it all binds it together quite well. Just watch it.

Oh yeah. It's also a bit like Alice In Wonderland, but Japanese, if that helps.

Schindler's List - JEW SLAUGHTER/10

I'm still scratching my head over why I watched this film. But I'm glad I did. Never ever watching it again though.

The Veteran - 5/10

Rather boring. About some soldier guy who returns to a gang infested London. He starts working undercover but things aren't what they seem. The final 10 minutes have 75% of the action and it goes from badass to depressing and ends at "well what the **** was the point of that." I don't recommend watching it unless you really are desperate to kill 90 minutes.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes - 9/10

It was f*cking awesome, high recommendation.

Cowboys and Aliens 7/10

There were cowboys and there were aliens.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes

I went in with higher expectations than I imagined I would, mostly due to the positive buzz surrounding its release - likewise unexpected - and I was not disappointed. The whole film was an enjoyable affair of simian antics and some great work from the WETA team and Andy Serkis. But it wasn't 'great'. I felt the very transparent three-act structure disrupted the film's natural flow and hampered the character development of the human cast. All of the actors present did a fine job with their roles, but, like the acts themselves, were simply convenient archetypes to move the plot along. Lithgow was great as Franco's ailing father and there was a warmth to his scenes with Caeser that the film completely failed to capitalise on because Lithgow's character was there only to 1. Personalise Franco's research 2. Provide the catalyst to Caeser's imprisonment. Which is a shame because it was a good relationship and one that should have factored into the plot a whole lot more than it actually did.

It also gave us what happened to Draco Malfoy after he left Hogwarts: he became the needlessly cruel employee of his douchebag father's ape sanctuary. Why is he such a prat? Well, the plot needs him to be of course. Because what is a rebellion if it has no direct aggressor? Felton's scenes failed consistently because it was so difficult to see his character as anything other than a device for the plot. Much more interesting was the criminally underused Brian Cox's Landon, Felton's father. Maybe it's Cox's fantastic acting ability and screen presence, but he gave such a one-note, minimal character a delightfully sinister tone. The shaded glasses, the casual waistcoats, the apathetic-but-never-too-heavy-handed-cruelty - it all worked. But I suppose if his role had been enlarged we wouldn't have gotten his laugh-out-loud final scene. It's a great one. So good of the plot to remember he existed.

I'd say that was the big problem with the film overall: it fails to provide a contrast between the Apes and the humans. If the Apes are to rise, we need to know what they are going to rise against, and what is lost in the process: humanity. Archetypes and stock roles do not a human cast make. Franco's girlfriend basically existed to drop lines such as "Some things aren't meant to be changed" and "This is wrong Will". Hey, here's an idea. **** off.

Lastly, I loved the finale on the Golden Gate Bridge. It was spectacular and worth the build-up. Possibly the best action scene I've watched all year. I may not have agreed with the themes of the film as being the beginning of the Apes' future (lab experiments, morality of scientific research, corporate agendas etc.), but the film compensated in stylishness and competence. It's worth seeing.

(final note: that disfigured ape with a grudge against the corporate CEO will be trouble in the inevitable sequel. Calling it)

I was going to do a review of Apes, but I think you hit the nail on the head Samon. I was certainly never bored and usually thoroughly entertained throughout the entire film, but when it ended I still felt it was somehow an empty experience. I think there was a lot of squandered opportunity. Many might find the premise ridiculous but there is certainly a lot of depth and food for thought that can be squeezed out of it. Serkis was stupendous though, Caesar was an amazing creation. I think the scene with Felton where

Caeser first spoke raised one of the best audience reactions I have seen in a cinema in ages. That and the ending battle were certainly my favourite scenes. I think Serkis' work just made the former just an incredibly powerful moment, something that I would say deserved to be in a better film. Haha, but perhaps others found it predictable and cliched. On the topic of the disfigured ape, I assumed he was going to take over from Caeser in a leadership coup, leading to all out war on the humans. But alas the plague took care of that.

Oh well, it's a good starting point for what could be a decent franchise.

Definitely agree on the audience reaction, mine included. I've never seen any of the Apes films, but that line is just hammered into my brain from mere homage to the series (The Simpsons and The Big Bang Theory iirc). "NO!" made my heart beat faster, it was so bizarre and so good.

Also, did anyone take note of the Mars landing? As stated previously I've never seen any of the Apes films so I don't know if this is a major plot point. Do the humans colonize Mars and attempt to retake the Planet of the Apes? If it hasn't been done yet that's what I'm calling for the sequel(s).

Dr. Strangelove (1964) 10/10

I absolutely loved this movie. I loved the black humor, especially among the final scenes even when all life on Earth will be extinguished in 11 months, the Soviet ambassador is still taking pictures of the Pentagon War Room with his spy camera. I loved the irony of the situation of the B-52 bomber crew, working so hard to do their duty and fulfill their mission, believing that it will bring peace and save lives, completely unaware that in truth, they will be responsible for the death of 90% of the human population on Earth.

Also, I love B-52s.

And one of the last lines: "Mr. President! WE MUST NOT ALLOW A MINESHAFT GAP!"

Which is so very true.

Definitely agree on the audience reaction, mine included. I've never seen any of the Apes films, but that line is just hammered into my brain from mere homage to the series (The Simpsons and The Big Bang Theory iirc). "NO!" made my heart beat faster, it was so bizarre and so good.

Also, did anyone take note of the Mars landing? As stated previously I've never seen any of the Apes films so I don't know if this is a major plot point. Do the humans colonize Mars and attempt to retake the Planet of the Apes? If it hasn't been done yet that's what I'm calling for the sequel(s).

Haha it was a decent homage, but yes, the NO! was unexpectedly powerful, I was taken aback. The Mars thing is in reference to the astronauts in the original Ape film who go missing and come back far into the future to find Earth (to them an alien planet) inhabited by the apes. They go through some weird time warp or something. I was think it was cleverly woven in.

The Guard - A really high number /10
Great film. I don't know how widely distributed this film is but if you can go see it do. It's bloody hilarious. Brendan Gleeson is absolutely fantastic in it and so is almost everyone else in the film. I'm not very articulate when it comes to describing films (just look at my mess of a review of Spirited Away above) but I just loved this. If you liked In Bruge, go watch this film now. If you haven't seen In Bruge go watch it and this film.

Also, I thought the trailer was too spoilery so I did an experiment and cut it down:

It cuts away to the end very quickly but the middle part has music playing over it so I couldn't just take out the spoilery parts and leave the ok bits because it would cause the music to jump around and be horrible, so it just skips from the start to the end. Sorry about that.

It also has 93% on Rotten Tomatoes if that helps.

Disney's "Oceans" - confuzzled/10

It had some really cool shots. The best section was probably coral reefs at night. However, I was so confused with the message that I don't even know if the filmmakers knew what they wanted to say. Lost track of how many times they were like "the ocean is in danger/satellite imagery shows pollution coming from the rivers.... and yet, here's a pristine section/life still goes on." Maybe they were just trying to be objective, but geez, be coherent!

Also bizarre: introducing stories without actually telling them. e.g. "A select group of orcas has developed a special way of catching seals" --> shot of an orca just eating a seal normally --> totally different scene wtf

I'm a little frustrated that they wasted so much amazing footage on little meaningless blurbs. The only acceptable explanation would be if some of these animals are so poorly studied that they sincerely had nothing meaningful to say about them. Doubtful though.

Anyways, Wednesday is Jurassic Park in the park, which I'm really looking forward to. Haven't seen that movie in a loooong time. I just heard from a friend that the CGI hasn't aged well though.

Adjustment Bureau 8/10

something new, kept my interest and had a nice sci-fi touch

True Grit 8/10

this was the newer one, was very good and well acted

Rise of the Planet of the Apes - 3/5

The acting and script are quite shite, but the story itself is interesting enough to cause a desire for a sequel. The CGI is flawless though, and Andy Serkins as Caesar is brilliant as always.

Captain America- 2/10

What an absolute terrible movie. I'm not a fan of Marvel (or any superhero movie that isn't Batman) but christ I didn't know it would be this bad. The blonde version of Ryan Reynolds plays the Captain, and Hugo Weaving slums it as a terrible looking alien thing. I agree with ZT on the pacing, jumps from shit dialogue to boring action scenes very fast. Just don't watch it.

Jurassic Park - 1,000,000/10

Used to be my favorite movie as a kid, and it's still completely entertaining from start to end. I just realized earlier today, this is probably the last time I will ever get to see this movie on a big screen, and it was fantastic. Huge nostalgia trip.

The only thing that sucked was a couple of groups of obnoxious kids (the undergrads are back, booooo :p). But everyone laughed/cheered when the girl's like "This is a Unix system -- I KNOW THIS!" toward the end. Pretty awesome. Side effect of going to a school full of nerds.

Anyways, this film is awesome. Dinosaurs still looked great to me. Soooo happy right now, wish they'd show this every year.

Cowboys and Aliens - really low score/10

What a waste of time. I know - big surprise, but really was this all Favreau and company could come up with? Crap dialogue, stock-roles and a totally unconvincing Western setting. They were so intent on setting it up as a Western film that they fell right into the trap of unintentional parody, and spent the first excrutiatingly boring 30 minutes or so swimming in it. And then the aliens arrive and it goes in all kinds of thoroughly expected directions, with each stock character receiving his thoroughly anticipated resolution. Harrison Ford and the Indian Chief give each other the nod. Hoolah for c-o-o-p-e-r-a-t-i-o-n.

I DON'T WANT NO TROUBLE.

Also the kid behind me would not shut the **** up. Even his dad was getting pissed. "What did he say?" "Is that the girl?" "Who is he?" and, when Olivia Wilde crawls out of the water, "she does not look very pretty anymore does she dad."

Rise of the Planet of the Apes 4/10

How did this movie do well at all? I went into this film with low expectations, but was surprised at how truly bad this film was. I went with my mom since she really likes the original, she didn't like it either.

So much wrong with this film. For starters, there is a lot of exposition in areas that need none, and hardly any exposition in areas that need a lot. I was kind of blown away in the beginning by how fast the film was trying to move forward; but in all the wrong directions. Like first they need to show you that the apes are getting stolen cuz people are bad and stuff, then they briefly go over the virus (that is the most important part of the entire film) like its no big deal, and James Franco is like this super genius who is figuring out ways to cure alzheimers, but his boss doesn't really care even though he's funding this shit. Then like the stupid CG monkey is swinging around the house, (and the CG already looks strangely outdated) Then the ape tells him and the Indian woman to date, and she agrees, and she is this shallow stupid character that no one cares about. Then after he gets captured or whatever, Draco Mayflower or whatever is there and he is mean and bad to apes because he is Draco.
Then, THEN, the ****ing Orangutan starts talking to the super advanced chimp, and can apparently communicate in full English sentences too because he was a "circus chimp" -seriously, that was the part when I said "**** this movie".
Then this long period in the film happens where the advanced chimp FIGURES OUT A WAY TO ESCAPE BUT INSTEAD HANGS AROUND DOING STUPID SHIT IN THE APE PRISON. Thennnnn, he escapes again and steals some virus canisters from a refrigerator (because oh whatever, he must know what this shit does, right?)

And after that some totally mediocre action happens and stuff, it's really lame; a gorrilla throws a sewer lid like a frisby and some police try to stop a hoard of insane murderous apes by riding by on horseback and casually hitting them with clubs.

And the final thing wrong with this movie is how much it tries to mimic or "nod" to the original in the most shallow and stupid ways. Very similar to how Star Wars Episode 2 tried to do with Empire Strikes Back. I could list a dozen, but I don't want to.

Are all the apes exterminated by the end of the movie? If not, I call bullshit.

Are all the apes exterminated by the end of the movie? If not, I call bullshit.
Why would they be? Hardly a "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" if they were all done in at the end. (Never understood how a planet could rise, anyway, thought it was the apes who rose. But oh well.)

EDIT:

127 Hours: 8/10
Very strong performance from James Franco. He and the crew managed to make a man being stuck in a canyon for 127 hours interesting, which is a very difficult task. The hallucination and flashback scenes were brilliantly done, and you could really see the inspiration and motivation grow in the guy, as he finally gathered the will to do what he had to get free. Very inspirational movie about the will to survive.

Oh I forgot to mention the part where James Franco gave John Lithgow some of the virus to make him remember stuff, and the next morning John Lithgow is so smart he is playing Mozart or some shit on the piano. And James Franco is laughing happily and oh my god that movie was so gay.

ZT, consider the film's accomplishments in the context of it being a summer movie.

Sarah's Key - good/10

I haven't read the book it's based on but I enjoyed the film very much. It entwined two very different parallel tales well. Ebert felt the juxtaposition of a modern day domestic situation jarred a little with Jewish subjugation in France, but I think he missed the point there. The revelations of the characters in present day, Kristen Scott's father-in-law for instance, were all the more touching against the back-drop of a calmer time.

Evil Dead II and Army of Darkness

First time watching either. I watched the first Evil Dead a few years back, and don't remember much except that one scene with the really (and I mean reaaaalllly) long scream. I rate Evil Dead II an 8/10. I might've liked Evil Dead I a little more because it was more intense. Evil Dead II was still awesome though, and very funny.

Army of Darkness was pretty disappointing. Maybe I shouldn't have watched it immediately after Evil Dead II. It was too cheesy and not at all scary. I guess it gets props for having an entire scene referencing The Manster. Just because none of my friends would watch that movie with me so I had to watch it by myself (lame!), and well, now I have something to argue for it.

Beautiful Lies - harmless/boring/silly romantic comedy/10

Audrey Tautou's character was an annoying bitch throughout. And then she smiled, and all was forgiven.

Oh I forgot to mention the part where James Franco gave John Lithgow some of the virus to make him remember stuff, and the next morning John Lithgow is so smart he is playing Mozart or some shit on the piano. And James Franco is laughing happily and oh my god that movie was so gay.

He was trying to play it the first time you see him in the film, so he knows that he knows it, he just cant remember all of it and it ends up sounding like a cat walking on the keys.

The whole point of the ''cure'' was that it was an instant reaction, which is why it is used by Caesar.

And I laughed at some people when I walked out of the cinema, the idiots saying the ending was so crap, IT'S A ***KING PREQUEL YOU MORONS, the whole point was that they ran free and wild again and THEN take over.

Hesher - Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

This one really annoyed me, because it's one of those cases where it feels like a bad movie wrapped in a good movie. Or vice versa, I don't know. As far as the production, performances, and bare bones narrative, I can't really fault it. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is great in the titular role, adding yet another dimension to his acting repertoire - this time as "the unredeemable scum****." Rainn Wilson is extremely believable as the deadbeat dad who has utterly lost control of his life (sweet beard too). Natalie Portman is Natalie Portman. The kid who plays the main character is... really good at playing a whiny little shit? Which brings me to the movie's crucial flaw: I hate all of these characters and don't give a solitary shit what happens to any of them. This is a problem because the movie obviously wants you to care, or at least wants you to find your way to caring by its conclusion. The better part of the movie is spent examining just how dreadful and loathsome a character can be while also hinting at some kind of redeeming characteristics... without ever actually exploring them. Basically, Hesher is a terrible c*nt who occasionally almost just about says or does something right, but usually doesn't. But then, at some indeterminate point (I lost track), the movie does an about face and decides that he's meant to be the wise mentor character or something. Then it ends with one of the most ham-fisted, phoned-in pieces of sanctimonious profundity I've ever seen, and I hold my head in my hands and wonder why I didn't listen to the voice in my head telling me to just give it up at the half hour mark.

Uggggghhhhhh.

Cowboys and Aliens - really low score/10

What a waste of time. I know - big surprise, but really was this all Favreau and company could come up with? Crap dialogue, stock-roles and a totally unconvincing Western setting. They were so intent on setting it up as a Western film that they fell right into the trap of unintentional parody, and spent the first excrutiatingly boring 30 minutes or so swimming in it. And then the aliens arrive and it goes in all kinds of thoroughly expected directions, with each stock character receiving his thoroughly anticipated resolution. Harrison Ford and the Indian Chief give each other the nod. Hoolah for c-o-o-p-e-r-a-t-i-o-n.

I DON'T WANT NO TROUBLE.

Also the kid behind me would not shut the **** up. Even his dad was getting pissed. "What did he say?" "Is that the girl?" "Who is he?" and, when Olivia Wilde crawls out of the water, "she does not look very pretty anymore does she dad."

Urgh! And Damon Lindelof has his name attached to it?

Yeah, but so too does Harrison Ford, Sam Rockwell and Clancy Brown. Although they've been involved in a whole lot more shit than Lindelof has, and in his defense there was like four screen writers on this project. When the "written by" title came up (not to mention the preceding "based on the novel by" "adapted for the screen by") I was baffled by the amount of writers involved in one screenplay. Orci and Kurtzman, the bane of Hollywood screenwriting, among them. But four. Four. And this boring shitfest is all they could come up with?

Back