Films: Rate and Discuss

I just watched Shutter Island. I thought it was a great movie, with great acting, and some very interesting twists in the plot.

I was just about to say that I was starting to get sick of twist endings, but this was a well done twist that had multiple ways that people could comprehend it. Tell me if I'm correct on thinking this. Warning, spoilers.

When he said something along the lines of "Tell me. Is it better to live as a monster, or die as a hero" to the pretend partner, as he walked off to get killed, this meant that he was aware of the truth, and chose to die because of it?

I thought this was at least an 8/10, but I'd give it a 9 just because I really enjoyed it.

Edit: I take that back. 8/10 again. Throughout the film I noticed some odd things wrong with it. Idk if this is really spoilers, but I guess since it is discussing the movie I will spoiler it anyway.
The main character was interviewing the insane woman that killed her husband with the axe, when his partner went to go grab her a glass of water. When she drank it, the glass wasn't in her hand, and I actually reversed it to make sure. It was kind of stupid, like how do they make that kind of mistake? Idk I just thought it was a blatant mistake that shouldn't have been in the movie. Also, the hallucination with all the rats coming out of the hole was freaking stupid. What the hell did that have to do with anything? Random as shit.

I hate noticing things like that, editing problems that clearly havent been seen.

Jim Carrey is notorious for it. His hair changes parting alot in his earlier movies.

I can think of SWAT where they're doing the gun run, one of the guys is talking with his shades on, they switch the angle to show the guy he's talking to and he has his shades in his hands, cleaning them, angle reverses again and he has his shades back on in a split second.

And Band of Brothers where they're in the basement, and (cant remember his name) is drunk and drinking wine, but when he asks Webster what he's looking at, he's holding the bottle upside-down. Then he starts swigging from it again a few seconds later.

Grr, really annoys me for some reason.

The main character was interviewing the insane woman that killed her husband with the axe, when his partner went to go grab her a glass of water. When she drank it, the glass wasn't in her hand, and I actually reversed it to make sure. It was kind of stupid, like how do they make that kind of mistake?

This wasn't a continuity error, it was there to make us question what is real, to put the audience on edge. It happens so quickly that you have to double take and even begin to question whether you're seeing things or not. It's the best bit in the movie, numbnuts :p

Yeah that's not a mistake, that's Scorsese ****ing with the audience.

This wasn't a continuity error, it was there to make us question what is real, to put the audience on edge. It happens so quickly that you have to double take and even begin to question whether you're seeing things or not. It's the best bit in the movie, numbnuts :p

Yeah that's not a mistake, that's Scorsese ****ing with the audience.

Bullshit.

Well if it this true then wow I must not have noticed a lot of other things that are actually supposed to make the audience wonder.

It never crossed my mind that this was a mistake. Nor with the people I was watching the movie with. Look at it this way - why film someone drinking from a glass that isn't there? To add it in with cgi later? :thumbs:

Inception was all sold out, so insteeeeead...

Scott Pilgrim - Zelda loot sound effect/10

Pure enjoyment. It's not gonna be for everyone, and there were a few parts that made me cringe a little, but there's too much good going on here for any kind of hipster pretense to drag it down (actually, it was more a parody of that culture when all was said and done). Wright's direction is very apparent - despite being a pretty different movie than his previous ones - with tons of quick cuts and impeccable comedic timing, not to mention some incredibly slick action scenes and effects. I even managed to enjoy Cera's acting, who seems in this case to be more a victim of good casting than his own "shy guy" appeal (see what I did there).

Whether or not you enjoy this movie will probably depend on whether you can submerse yourself in it's incredibly stylized world. Everything feels snappy and intentional - even the jokes that purposefully fall flat. The romance element is relateable at times, but it's drenched in a comic book sappiness that might turn some people off (not that it's much different to regular romance :p). Basically, you'll likely either love it or hate it for the same reasons.

Scott Pilgrim vs The World 8/10

Bad Hat said it best:
Pure enjoyment.

I went into this movie not knowing a whole lot. I had seen the trailer once, and the TV spots a couple times. I probably would have passed, but seeing how I loved Edgar Wright's Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, I couldn't resist. It really was pure enjoyment. Lots of laughs that felt genuine. The only thing that kind of bugged me about it was there were a lot of scenes that seemed to be ripped right out of Eternal Sunshine. Not that theres anything wrong with that, but it just felt a bit odd.

The biggest laugh for me (as well as the rest of the audience) was
The Seinfeld theme/parody. I loved it. Also laughed when they played the Universal Studios theme for Lucas Lee. But I was the only one who laughed

damn you all!! :p

i cant wait til that movie is released over here :)

For the Aussies out there, and anyone one who has seen this film, is Animal Kingdom any good ? Heard good things about it.

The Expendables 8/10

Actually waaaay better than I thought it would be, <3 Terry Crewes.

Also, I'm pretty sure my d*ck grew about 5 inches by watching this movie.

Slammin' Salmon 8.5/10

Very funny movie and if you liked Super Troopers its made by the same guys and stars most of them from what I can recall. Its probably one of the funniest movies I've seen by myself in a long time. I usually see comedies with friends but this movie is below the radar me thinks!

Also I'm about to see the Expendables today and I can't wait

For the Aussies out there, and anyone one who has seen this film, is Animal Kingdom any good ? Heard good things about it.

Best film I've seen all year.

Wait....

That and Winter's Bone are the best films I've seen all year.

Out all of the film's I've seen at the movies and at the Melbourne International Film Festival, this film and Winter's Bone are the only films that actually stay in my memory for their direction and acting. Although I can see why people don't like the lead in Animal Kingdom. His character is as dumb as a post. The rest of the film more than makes up for that though.

Animal Kingdom is like Chopper meets a horror film.

Winter's Bone is a noir set in the meth-drenched hills of Missouri.

There's one shot in each of those films, where a certain character and the way they've been filmed, completely trounce the direction and acting of any other film of the year. In a heartbeat. But that's probably something only hardcore film buffs and filmmakers will agree with.

Although everyone I've spoken to who have seen Animal Kingdom has loved it.

"We must show them we believe in our beliefs as much as they believe in their beliefs"/10

Goddamn who wrote this. Un-fcking-believable. I guess the action was done alright but the pacing was shit, characters one-dimensional, acting wooden (with seriously annoying voices) and the aforementioned atrocious dialogue.

Meh, Team Avatar has nothing on their opposite numbers in the Dangerous Ladies. Evil is sexy.

Azula is a megalomaniac, Mai is depressing, but Ty Lee is fun loving and sexy. I'll admit Katara got pretty hot later in the series, Suki is sexy with that Kyoshi makeup on.

"We must show them we believe in our beliefs as much as they believe in their beliefs"/10

Goddamn who wrote this. Un-fcking-believable. I guess the action was done alright but the pacing was shit, characters one-dimensional, acting wooden (with seriously annoying voices) and the aforementioned atrocious dialogue.

If its the live action variant, I agree. I don't usually play the race card, but beside Yue - none of the characters look even remotely like their counterparts. Katara and Sokka aren't white (where is the hair loopies!), and where the **** is Sokka's meat and sarcasm! They also played a fat kid for Aang, and he looks like a little red riding hood.

/end rant

WALL-E - 7/10

Interesting movie, my brother gave me a copy ages ago and I decided to finally watch it.

It wasn't what I thought it was going to be, but it was definitely worth watching. I think WALL-E was very likeable and interesting, I thought it was very 'cute' to see him collecting knick knacks from the junk to keep in his house.

500 days of summer:

i was surprised i liked a film like this so much :LOL: its just actually a really nice movie that makes you feel good more than anything. Zooey Deschanel and Joseph Gordon-Levitt are great in it (now i've seen him in something else from inception at last) and this movie has a terrific soundtrack, so good i had to download it after watching the movie :)

heat:

a perfectly paced and clever crime thriller. great movie and both pacino and deniro are great in it :)

inception:

still great the second time round even tho the element of mystery is gone

Batman: Under the Red Hood - I'mTheGoddamnBatman/10

I'm usually completely against anything that involves Robin or Nightwing and while this has both of them, it's still a delightfully dark tale. Granted it's largely because of the comics that it is based on, but still, seeing that transpire into even an animated movie is a bit jarring. Definitely worth watching.

Yeah I liked Under the Red Hood. It's nice to see that not everyone jump on the Nolan wagon, and go for realism. But instead stay true to some of the supernatural elements of Batman.

Okay, that they use some of those elements at least. Bad phrasing.

The Expendables 8/10

Actually waaaay better than I thought it would be, <3 Terry Crewes.

Also, I'm pretty sure my d*ck grew about 5 inches by watching this movie.

I thought it took itself way too seriously, not over the top enough for me, should have had more bits like the auto-shotgun scene, without ridiculous action like that it was just a generic 90s action movie. And I really hate Power Ranger explosions, you know, the big fireballs that look nothing like actual explosions, but more like someone set a can with gasoline on fire. Why do action movies still have those? They're awful! Also, Schwarzenegger being in it was a a false advertisement..

Dinner for Schmucks 7/10

Funnier than I thought it would be, but is a bit hit and miss.

I thought it took itself way too seriously, not over the top enough for me, should have had more bits like the auto-shotgun scene, without ridiculous action like that it was just a generic 90s action movie. And I really hate Power Ranger explosions, you know, the big fireballs that look nothing like actual explosions, but more like someone set a can with gasoline on fire. Why do action movies still have those? They're awful! Also, Schwarzenegger being in it was a a false advertisement..

Dinner for Schmucks 7/10

Funnier than I thought it would be, but is a bit hit and miss.

Agreed, AHNOLD'S role was largely unnecesarry, just another name to put on the poster, but yeah, more of the auto-shotty-type moments woulda been awesome, I was going "HOLY SHIT!" more at that part then anywhere else, and that was right after the whole axe-kick-neck-break thing.

But still, I think the whole idea was to take itself too seriously.

Yeah, I'll sure say! Apologise please.

Apologies for the delay at least, but I was looking for the perfect image to summarize just how sorry I am.
But I didn't find just one.

middle_finger.jpg

middle-finger.jpg

Middle-Finger.gif

middle_finger.jpg
kid-middle-finger.jpg

middle_finger_collage.jpg
middle_finger.jpg

bush_middle_finger.png
middle_finger_flame.jpg

128092512696s.gif

82606355jq8.jpg

gorilla_middle_finger.jpg

middlefinger.gif

Batman: Under the Red Hood - I'mTheGoddamnBatman/10

I'm usually completely against anything that involves Robin or Nightwing and while this has both of them, it's still a delightfully dark tale. Granted it's largely because of the comics that it is based on, but still, seeing that transpire into even an animated movie is a bit jarring. Definitely worth watching.

I don't know. It was entertaining, but all the more interesting developments in the story came toward the end. They held the cards close to their chest throughout, only serving them when there was about 15 minutes left on the clock. For the most part, it was preceded by prolonged and boring fight scenes. Admittedly, I'm familiar with the Jason Todd story, so a lot of the beats in the first act were a bit diluted for me. But it did really pick up when Todd confronted the Joker (not a bad portrayal, but I'd take the voice of Hammil over this guy) on the bridge, and the thrills built up from there. The dialogue exchanges in the dilapidated apartment were taught and emotionally charged, something completely absent in the events that came before it.

The Mask of Phantasm is still the creme-de-le-creme of animated Batman movies.

The Men Who Stare At Goats - Good/10

Thoroughly entertaining. Extremely similar in style to the Coen Brothers, in particular Burn After Reading (Clooney's performance lends more than a bit to this comparison), but a very well executed imitation at that and not without it's own merits. Lovely casting also, Ewan Mcgregor is far more convincing as a jedi apprentice here than elsewhere. :LOL:

Mission Impossible III. - 7.5/10 (Good)

A thoroughly enjoyable movie. Nothing groundbreaking of course, but I liked it much better than the second one. The action scenes are more gritty than overly-dramatic.

Far Cry - Boll/10
My first Uwe Boll film and it was as good as I was expecting. The only thing worse than the script is the acting. Frank is constantly being shot at my multitudes of guards with assault rifles, at each point he looks bored and pulls out a handgun, shoots three shots and all the bad guys fall over while seeming no bullets hit anything anywhere near Frank. The only time I can remember seeing bullets impact anything is when people are shooting the bald albinos in which case they don't do anything anyway.

There's even a scene where a guy shoots a massive machine gun at the water in front of Franks boat to get him to stop and there isn't a single impact on the water. I'm not sure why I'm picking on that point in particular, because everything in this film is bad. How does the main character go from being in this crap to being in Inglorious Bastards in just a year?

Random video game related observations: The music during the scene where Frank is handcuffed to the fat guy the music sounds very similar to some of the music from World of Goo and the bad guy's voice really reminds me of Yuri.

Edit: Great scene when Max's niece is trying to stop mutant Max from killing Frank and when the bad guy tells her to get away from the radio just does and stands at the other side of the room with her arms crossed and looking completely bored while her uncle kills her lover.

the thing - 10/10

yeah blahda blah 10, 9, 8 whatever, this is one of my favourite films ever so it's always highly rated for me. love this film, managed to convince my housemates into watching it and they all enjoyed it as well it seems. what i love the most about it as how no matter how many times i've seen it - and it's many a times - it still manages to make me jump i.e. opening chest scene, palmer's blood jumping from the petri dish, etc. also, i can NEVER remember exactly the order nor the reasoning behind at least half of the teams deaths until i see them and remember ''oh yeah, fuchs is found outside burnt'' or ''well, at least clark had the most humane death i guess'' and i LOVE that, i love that it still continues to be a different film each time i see it. amazing.

one thing i noticed on this particular watch, and i'm sure it's been brought up before, was how much window's mutilated corpse after being tossed aside by palmer-thing is reminiscent of the half-life 2 zombies when they are slumped up against surfaces. the bloody mess, the inaudible gurgles and groans, the stirring... it's perfect. he is that first zombie in ravenholm almost. anyway, i mainly posted here to say that as googling ''the thing windows half life 2 zombie influence'' brings up a whole manner of different results as searching a game title with it's primary platform name next to it, as well as such a vague term like ''thing'' is useless, and i didn't want to make a thread on it.

PREDATORS - 8/10

Just watched it and I think it's a worthy successor to the first film. It's definitely a step in the right direction after those horrible AvP movies...

The good: It manages to build atmosphere and tension, and also manages to make you care about the characters even though the actual character development isn't that great. Overall an enjoyable sci-fi action movie. I would say it's somewhere between the first and second Predator movie, in terms of quality.

The bad: There were some things that I couldn't help but roll my eyes at. Like the reference to the first movie that just felt crowbarred in just for the hell of it. Or the line "kill me I'm here, COME ON KILL ME!!11" :rolleyes:
OK, I get it you're a fan of the first movie but that doesn't mean copying lines from it is a good idea. It kind of reminds me how every single Terminator movie HAD to have the line "come with me if you want to live".

/rant.

Overall a good movie. If you liked the first you'll probably like this one.

Ace Ventura Jr. - Don't Taze me Bro/10
I'm earning some cash at the moment by putting stupid shit in boxes for 84c a box. Doing it in front of the TV to stop me killing myself so I'm at mercy to whatever Sky has on. Pretty damn awful film. The worst scene is where Rex reveals that Ace is related to Charles "Ventura" Darwin and Jacques "Ventura" Cousteau. The kid also keeps trying, and failing, to pull of Jim Carey's catchphrases. I'm not sure was it funny or sad that everyone kept saying "Don't taze me bro" but seeing as I'll have to kill myself if it's the latter I'll go with funny.

Scott Pilgrim vs The World:

OMG GO SEE THIS MOVIE!!!

Sooo funny, soo much fun and just soo amazing :D

I'm amazed actually at how well they managed to pull off an adaptation of all 6 books in 2 hours so well and still keeping some things new and fresh. Michael Cera fit really well as scott (better than i thought he would) and the guy who played wallace was ****ing amazing! :LOL:

When i went to see it earlier today the screening was actually completely packed aswell so i hope this maybe does better here than it did in the US. A film as awesomely fun as this needs to be rewarded.

The International - 6/10

As a thriller, terribly cliched and dull. Clive Owen really needs to stop being the hero in films, he just cant pull it off. Thank god he is not going to become a Bond at any stage.

To its credit, the gunfights are pretty spectacular on the realism front. A scene at the Guggenheim museum in NY was particularly great.

Its a bit all over the place, catching my attention really well in places and then completely losing it in others. Actually most of the time I lost my attention and almost started flicking in places.

The International - 6/10

I know I saw this in the theater. The movie was brought up somehow the other day, and I can't even remember what it was about. I do remember that Guggenheim part, but the whole story was so forgettable that I barely recall having seen it. It's weird.

Back