Game of Thrones thread with lots of books spoilers inside spoiler tags

I'm still waiting on the wedding. Had me almost throwing curses out loud at my wife's folks' home when I reached that part.

The Internet will burn then.

I think I'm going to stop visiting this thread.

But before I go, I just want to say that I love when they use this piece of music. It fit so well with Theon's big scene in season 2, and it was used to good effect with Robb in the latest episode.

It was essentially the same scene.

Theon beheading Rodrik inS2, rainy and incredibly abhorrently powerful. And then they use the same music for when Robb does much the same thing with Karstark. I mean the music is perfect for the feels when it's happening, but it was much the same thing.

-

"I can be your family." Right in the soft spot, Arya. This left hook came out of nowhere, my god I haven't felt that much emotional sympathy for a TV character since Breaking Bad S2. :(

What do you guys reckon about the change to (book spoilers)
Robb's inclination to marry Edmure to a Frey. Didn't he plan to marry Edmure to one of them to beg forgiveness for what he did? The show is making into a form of tactic here, less so much of necessity. Or maybe I'm remembering wrong. That planning scene seemed kinda wrong though.

Why did Robb insist on taking his head? Was he trying to do what he thought would be right in his fathers eyes? He seems to be sticking with Ned's ideals of always trying to do the right thing, which as we know, doesn't get you far in Westeros.

Why did Robb insist on taking his head? Was he trying to do what he thought would be right in his fathers eyes? He seems to be sticking with Ned's ideals of always trying to do the right thing, which as we know, doesn't get you far in Westeros.
Pretty much. Same reason he did it himself, rather than have someone else do it.

Well I think his hands were kind of tied as far as his principles go. The whole war was started on principle, with very meager prospects on victory going in and that hasn't much changed. That being the case, abandoning his principles and letting lords directly disobey you and commit murder midway into the war undermines the whole thing. As far as practicality goes: Karstark was lost the second Jaime escaped and there wasn't anyway Robb was going to be able to count on him. It's hardly an ideal situation, but this way the loss saves him some honor.

As for this episode: Gendry? Red Woman? Why fix what isn't broken?

Well I think his hands were kind of tied as far as his principles go. The whole war was started on principle, with very meager prospects on victory going in and that hasn't much changed. That being the case, abandoning his principles and letting lords directly disobey you and commit murder midway into the war undermines the whole thing. As far as practicality goes: Karstark was lost the second Jaime escaped and there wasn't anyway Robb was going to be able to count on him. It's hardly an ideal situation, but this way the loss saves him some honor.

As for this episode: Gendry? Red Woman? Why fix what isn't broken?

I'm not understanding, do you have a problem with them two meeting? I think as far as simplifications/changes go making Gendry Edric Storm is one of the most logical they have made thus far

Except:
Gendry is still alive and well at the end of ADWD. His whole arc has always been drenched with his potential for plot importance down the road. Are they actually spoiling his fading into nothingness in an unreleased book four seasons too early? I hadn't assumed that's what they were doing and just figured they were fiddling about pointlessly.

Edit: Alive and well at the end of AFFC. I think ADWD is a somewhat safe bet too.

Except:
Gendry is still alive and well at the end of ADWD. His whole arc has always been drenched with his potential for plot importance down the road. Are they actually spoiling his fading into nothingness in an unreleased book four seasons too early? I hadn't assumed that's what they were doing and just figured they were fiddling about pointlessly.

Edit: Alive and well at the end of AFFC. I think ADWD is a somewhat safe bet too.
Too many book spoilers up in here!

Edric is also alive and well by the end of AFfC. Davos has him saved and sent away. Presumably the same will happen with Gendry in the show. Davos might even find a way to return him to the brotherhood.

Oops. Book spoilers I s'pose.
I actually completely forgot that the sacrifice thing didn't actually happen. Still seems a bit of an unnecessary reach though

Just another way to cut down on surplus characters while allowing for an additional interesting conversation.

That Tywin and Joffrey scene, goddamn. They're both magnificent actors.

Book spoiler.
I'll actually be a little sad when Joffrey dies. Jack Gleeson plays the role so well.

What was the consensus on this episode?
I think it really shows that George R. R. Martin wrote this one. It wasn't leagues better, but it was higher than the standard quality of the show.

Talisa's hiney, goddamn.

I really loved the reception scene between drunk Tyrion and Tywin. Oh the amount of things that could happen in the next 2 episodes!

28 episodes in, and I'm still confused as to who's who at times.

And who are you, the proud lord said,
that I must bow so low?
Only a cat of a different coat,
that's all the truth I know.
In a coat of gold or a coat of red,
a lion still has claws,
And mine are long and sharp, my lord,
as long and sharp as yours.
And so he spoke, and so he spoke,
that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall,
with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.

Speaking of, is Rains of Castamere used this much in the books too? I remember a few times when it was sung, but the show uses it a lot. Like, any time Tyrion was whistling it was this, they play instrumental versions of it in the background, etc.

Its gotten so prolific that I now whistle it sometimes at work.

It's played pretty much every time the Lannisters have a party. Any bard that's trying to impress them plays it.

I'm fairly sure that some character actually complains about how inclined people are to play the Rains for them, and I think that was round about when the wedding was being planned.

Today episode was...crazy, well that last scene worked well better in my budget free mind while reading the book, and even though they missed some details, it was still very good in my opinion.

Mod power trip edit: Catch up with the show now everyone. If you haven't seen last nights episode stay off the internet because spoilers are spreading like wildfire. This post contains spoilers too - riomhaire

Yeah, I was surprised by the impact it had on me, despite knowing basically how it all was going to pan out. As soon as I saw the guy shutting the doors, and good 'ol Rains of Castamere start playing, I had goosebumps.

But they didn't give Cat her best line in all the books :(. It makes sense, it would have been a little out of place and confusing I think given the changes they already made. But still, I loved that line.

Edit: As I lay in bed, trying to fall asleep, a line popped into my head. Walder Frey always sees what's beneath a woman's clothes...

Holy....shit at the new episode.

I am completely speechless.

I've never read the books so everything is a shock to me.

I was literally shivering after even though I knew what was coming. Also stayed up to watch the fan reaction live on Reddit. It was glorious.

I heard that something important would happen in this episode, so when there were like
minutes (time spoiler, just in case) till the end and nothing groundbreaking happened, I was on the edge of my seat. And then...

**** me.

Book readers and non book reader's reactions summed up in one perfect gif:

c9X6n.gif

Yeah. Yep, that was my reaction.

I was looking through my fingers in disbelief. And then the last, what, 5 seconds? I don't even...I...words...

My cousin watches this with his father-in-law who never read the books. I had to text him to see how he handled it, since apparently Robb is his favorite character after Ned. My cousin said he was devastated, he just had his head lowered in silence when the credits rolled. Poor guy's favorite characters are all doomed.

I saw on the wiki that Robb's wife doesn't exist in the books, so when they started talking about the baby I was like "they're either going to change the plot dramatically *insert laughter*, or this is going to end very painfully."

I don't always like being right.

I saw on the wiki that Robb's wife doesn't exist in the books, so when they started talking about the baby I was like "they're either going to change the plot dramatically *insert laughter*, or this is going to end very painfully."

I don't always like being right.
Well, in the books she exists, but she's more like Ned's mistress/Jon's mother, in that she doesn't really have a presence.

I haven't read the books. Last episode. Horrific.

Someone please tell me the Stark family get retribution at some point. They're like, the most awesome house and all they seem to get is the raw end of the deal. :/

Someone please tell me the Stark family get retribution at some point. They're like, the most awesome house and all they seem to get is the raw end of the deal. :/

answer, contain some probable spoilers
This is not the end for catelyn, and you can kinda see the path theirs children are goind, specially arya.

Well in fairness all of Robb's actions are seen from Cat's POV in the series so we never get any of the intimate Robb-wife stuff we do in the show. His wife exists, but she's the daughter of a Westerosi Lord rather than a foreigner. Her dad is one of the Lannister bannermen.

I love the Starks, but I feel the only reason people stand by them is because their House are the focus of the beginning of the series.

If they do House Martell right, then, damn, I'll be psyched. Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken. ****. Yes.

I love the Starks, but I feel the only reason people stand by them is because their House are the focus of the beginning of the series.

If they do House Martell right, then, damn, I'll be psyched. Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken. ****. Yes.

and i also think eddard's character has something to do with this "starks are the good guys" business.

Ned was a decent guy, indeed, but ASOIAF is not about the good and bad guys, some characters like jon snow for example, sometimes he is a nice guy, others he is an unsupportable mad ****, and daenerys, who tries to be good and just, but ends up doing some bad things on the way.

Book spoiler (sort of)
Vengeance. Justice. Fire and blood.

Back