Game of Thrones thread with lots of books spoilers inside spoiler tags

So many spoilers in a non spoiler thread.

[spoilerjoke]joke about spoilers ironically hidden in a spoiler[/spoilerjoke]

Also this:
SozhueS.jpg

Spotted that on imgur before, Jaime's face gets me everytime.

Not bad really, but lack of Jaime and how not ****ed up Tyrion's face is is pretty disappointing.

Awesome. I loved how they paced it. I'm really hoping they do all of SoS. People talk about how that one scene is going to be epic. I thought the end of SoS was so much more epic and brilliant.

Yeah I was hoping to see the epic boat scene with Jaime today. Hopefully this means it will be longer in the next episode.

ALSO: As much as it will kill me I'm considering waiting and watching it all at once. All this drawn-out-ness isn't cool.

Anybody else think the scene with Tyrion and Cersei was incredibly dull and, frankly, boring?

Lord Tywin talking down to Tyrion was great though.

Why didn't they (book spoilers)
include Mance's account of climbing over the wall for Robert's visit to Winterfell? I thought that was a great aspect of his character, and gave Jon his reason for wanting to join the Wildlings: "Did you see where they the put the bastard?" rings so much stronger than "I want to fight for the side that fights for the living."

Probably the best-looking giant I've ever seen in a fantasy adaptation to date. Coming from the absolute-****ing-mess that was Grawp in Harry Potter 5, the Wildling giant was exactly how a giant is meant to look; like a person, just bigger.

The whole Margaery scene was super-lackluster, I don't think showing her in a social scenario is incredibly relevant to her character. I hope there isn't a great deal of Joffrey-Margaery chemistry in this season.

I got pretty excited at the addition of Slaver's Bay/Burnt-out Winterfell in the opening credits, I gotta say.

Overall, a good episode, but not great by any stretch. But it's just getting started.

The whole Margaery scene was super-lackluster, I don't think showing her in a social scenario is incredibly relevant to her character. I hope there isn't a great deal of Joffrey-Margaery chemistry in this season.

I personally thought it was one of their best invented scenes, considering

Book spoils

How the books describe the King's Landing populace as being completely in love with Margaery but never giving any explicit evidence. The whole orphan scene was sets up the manipulative, scheming side of Margaery and the Tyrells to come. The whole thing was a great PR stunt

Decent episode, but one thing annoyed me -

No Battle of the Fist? Considering it was a night battle in a raging blizzard, the low visibility would allow for sneaky CGI as well a small number of participants. Seemed nicely accommodating for television budgets. I felt it had a nice amount of dramatic heft too, considering it was a world depending last stand as opposed to the pissing match for the Throne down south with Blackwater. The god damn last episode of the second season set it up so well too.

Oh well, I'm of the opinion they've completely botched the entire Night's Watch strand, beginning with casting wimpy dough boy Harrington as Jon Snow.

ALSO

NO STRONG BELWAS WHAT THE ****

Why didn't they (book spoilers)
include Mance's account of climbing over the wall for Robert's visit to Winterfell? I thought that was a great aspect of his character, and gave Jon his reason for wanting to join the Wildlings: "Did you see where they the put the bastard?" rings so much stronger than "I want to fight for the side that fights for the living."
My least favourite change from the book so far!

No Battle of the Fist? Considering it was a night battle in a raging blizzard, the low visibility would allow for sneaky CGI as well a small number of participants. Seemed nicely accommodating for television budgets. I felt it had a nice amount of dramatic heft too, considering it was a world depending last stand as opposed to the pissing match for the Throne down south with Blackwater. The god damn last episode of the second season set it up so well too.
book spoiler
They can still do it. They really have to since it's such an important part for Sam's character. Then again maybe they are going to leave us in the dark and do a flashback scene while they are at Craster's

The premier set a new piracy record.

Piracy tracker TorrentFreak says that more than 1 million viewers downloaded the episode in the first day after it aired. At one point, more than 163,000 people were simultaneously sharing a single torrent -- a new record. The previous record, of just under 145,000 simultaneous file-swappers, was set by the "Heroes" season 3 debut in 2008, according to TorrentFreak's data.

Most surprisingly though, the President of HBO views this fact intelligently and realizes that its not necessarily lost money.

"I probably shouldn't be saying this, but it is a compliment of sorts," Lombardo said ahead of the season 3 premier. "The demand is there. And it certainly didn't negatively impact the DVD sales. [Piracy is] something that comes along with having a wildly successful show on a subscription network."

Watched Thronecast (TV show that plays on Sky Atlantic after the show, talking about it with interviews of the cast and shit) for the first time. Couldn't stand watching it for more than five minutes. That was painfully bad.

I think they do that with The Walking Dead too. They call it something like "The Talking Dead" or some crap. I accidentally let it come on once and it was pretty dumb.

Finally got around to watching the new episode. Enjoyable overall, I was a bit confused about
the result of the battle at Harrenhal, but I figured it must have just just been a short skirmish with some northerners before Tywin moved onto King's Landing.
I thought Stannis looked pretty different when I first saw him, I think it's the hair or something.

Finally got around to watching the new episode. Enjoyable overall, I was a bit confused about
the result of the battle at Harrenhal, but I figured it must have just just been a short skirmish with some northerners before Tywin moved onto King's Landing.
I thought Stannis looked pretty different when I first saw him, I think it's the hair or something.
Yeah, Stannis struck me as very different looking too. Bran in episode 2 has changed a lot too, more than any of the other child actors it seems.

As for the spoiler bit, yeah, I don't remember how it happened in the book either.

Regarding Morgs' spoiler: (Below I mention some stuff changed from 'Clash of Kings' in Season Two)

Some things that were changed from the book last year meant that certain things had to be mashed together this season in order to make sense.

In the book there are a large number of northern prisoners in the Harrenhal jail. Arya helps break them out once the majority of the garrison has left, allowing the north men to retake the castle. Meanwhile Rob sends Bolton and his men to take Harrenhal, however they arrive to find the castle already held by the prisoners, so there is no need for a battle.

In the show Tywin's role at Harrenhal was extended, and certain other characters were removed entirely. One such character (Qyburn) turned up as the lone surviving prisoner that Rob found amongst the dead. I assume that once Tywin and Arya had both departed Harrenhal, the Mountain and his men razed the castle and killed all the prisoners and civilians before leaving the castle themselves.

Hope that all makes sense.

Pointless Bullshit Changes the television show.

Yeah, if you ignore the words 'pointless' and 'bullshit' that is exactly what I'm complaining about. Way to read between the lines.

Am I meant to spoiler this in this thread? I don't even know any more.

JAIME'S EFFING HAND! It was better delivered than in the book. The way the camera stayed still a second, the incredible look of horror on Jaime's face. I can't even imagine what that'd be like for people not expecting it. Really good episode. Here's hoping the rest are as good.

AND NOW HIS WATCH IS ENDED.
R.I.P. Jeor. :'(

About time Game of Thrones did something epic (referring to dat Dany scene.) Nice to have new music too.

Pretty disappointed with the show's portrayal/total screwover of Stannis though.

That's all my collected thoughts for now. Someone please reply for once. This forum is dead. :(

Yeah, Stannis pretty much being an evil douche who openly gets frisky with the Red Woman is pretty terrible. It's like they heard some one who had read the book saying that Stannis is "kind of a douche" and that was literally all they based his portrayal in the show on.

To be honest, I don't recall Stannis being particularly interesting at this point in the books anyways.

Not a huge fan of Dany's storyline, but I'll admit, her scene brought a smile to my face. It still feels like she changed too quickly from meek little girl to stone cold tactician, but then I realized we're almost halfway through the third season, so its been longer than it feels. Probably seems quick simply because of how little air time each character gets.

Jaime is being played god damn perfectly. Such a good casting decision, and despite the change in how it happens, the result is still completely intact. I also can't believe I actually felt a tinge of sympathy for Sansa, seeing how happy she was for the first time in like, forever.

And then Jeor, Theon, the rest of the Lannisters at Kings Landing, jesus this was a good episode. I wasn't sure the way this season started off, but now I'm back to thinking this is going be the best season of the show.

I felt like Theon's part was a deliberate waste of time designed to keep the actor in a job. Waiting for next season would have made it so much more dramatic.. Ya know... Like the the books.

I also think spending more time to show what is going through Denaeris's mind (Like spoiler free with some softcore lesbo action) would have been better than the whole "Pod has a big rod" story. Even though my mind was thinking...'hell yeah Pod.'

I have no idea what is going on with Theon, am I supposed to?

I have no idea what is going on with Theon, am I supposed to?

He got knocked out by his own blokes (ironmen) at the end of Season 2. If you recall (I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't) from Season 2, after Robb finds out about what Theon has done, he means to abandon the war and retake Winterfell ('Winterhell' Heh), but one of his advisors tells him he'd send someone after Theon instead. Basically, the show is implyingthat a) Theon's own men abandoned him and set Winterfell to torch, and b) the guy from Misfits, his saviour, actually just wanted to crush him by giving him hope then returning him to his chains, like a psycho treacherous a-hole.

edit: Wait, have you read the books and just forgotten? Or a show-watcher? My bad if that sounds really patronising. Heh.

Strictly a show watcher at the moment.

So the guys with Theon aren't his fathers men, or Robbs men, just some dudes out to have fun torturing him?

I suppose you'll find out soon enough who they are specifically, but yeah, they aren't anyone you've seen before. In the books he shows up much later after all of this sort of thing has been happening for a while.

There are very cryptic clues at the moment as to who he is (see S2E6 and S3E3). But it'll all come together soon, probably.

I love the elephant that is preventing you from making sense of what is in the book compared to the show.

Another reason they should have left Theon alone for a while.

bookspoiler
I suppose next season they are going to cram Theon, Tyrion, dragons, Cersei, Jamie, Stannis, Jon, Sam, Davos, Victarion (hell yeah he better be in this f*king season), Euron, Arya, Sansa, Brann, Brienne, Selmy, and all the new sand people into ten shows... I really like how "The Show" by itself is going. It just doesn't make sense as to what they are going to do about books 4 and 5 being all of these separate plot lines with everyone being in another part of Westeros. I could see them doing an entire episode this season to introduce more people and fill in cracks. It seems, though, that they are more likely to just cut out a massive amount of stuff.

Are you saying I should know what's going on from watching the show? Or that they've translated it badly from the books?

They are doing a poor job of translating from the books in these specific cases. Certain plot points that allow Theon's story to continue have yet to take place. So either they are going to completely change it or you just won't see Theon till next season.

So yeah they wasted a lot of time and made the bastard seem a bit more enigmatic than he really is.

In the books he shows up much later after all of this sort of thing has been happening for a while.

This is probably the biggest problem I'm having. They haven't done 'this sort of thing' justice yet. I like to think of it as an episode of Metalocalypse where they start playing music and shit goes crazy. Theon's story continues after the music stops and there are corpses everywhere.

In the books he shows up much later after all of this sort of thing has been happening for a while.
Uh, in the books, he's the one who betrays Theon, not his fellow Ironborn. So he should have actually been seen lots of times before now in the show.

I was referring to Theon specifically, after the end of CoK.

Is the show still following a 'volume per season' format, or are they dividing some of the bigger books into more series?

Season 3 is based "roughly" on the first half of the 3rd book.

I say roughly in that the different streams are all occurring less simultaneously than in the books. Plus they're making so many changes it's hard to know who is an adaptation what (Ros) at this point.

Season three is the first part of book three. Season four will be the second part probably with stuff taken from Feast and Dance as well and then season five to finish off those two books. There's no possibly way they could adapt the show as a season for Feast and a season for Dance.

By far my favourite episode this season. Included many of my favourite scenes from the book and most coming through intact:

Kudos especially to the Jaime bath scene, just fantastically acted by Coster-Waldau. Aside from the last few seconds it was just incredibly gripping.

That was probably my favorite episode of the show in fact. Lots of really impactful scenes, finally fleshing out some characters who were sorely in need of some emotional attachment from people just watching the show.

Back