How Valve is revitalising PC gaming

DigiQ8

Tank
Reaction score
CVG have posted a great article about Valve, Steam and the PC Gaming, and how Valve becoming the platform holder and guardian of the PC as a gaming system.

Developers wanting to use the service only need to contact Valve to get access to the secret sauce. Valve will provide the application process interface (API) to anyone who wants to hook it into the code of their game. The sheer number of tools available is mind-boggling, but there's one clear benefit outweighing all the others: Steam has killed Valve's day zero piracy problem.

You can read more on CVG.

whats the "Valve's day zero piracy problem"?

-dodo

Read the rest to find out.

Steam has killed Valve's day zero piracy problem.

not true, you can play single player game without using steam. also there are many ways around the multiplayer games too.....not very strong methods though.

Quality Games like CSS, CS, and TF2......keeps Valve in business :)

[HATE]

Valve killed PC gaming for me.

Sure would like to play the games I BOUGHT and ACTIVATED ONLINE in a SINGLEPLAYER OFFLINE mode.

I won't buy another Valve or Steam game until the ones I already bought (like Epsiode 1), work when my computer is off-line.

I'm not ****ing connecting to you (Steam), just for permission to play a game I bought. I don't care how you spin it, that is bullshit, and I hope you change or go out of business ASAP. I'm attempting to speed up the process by making a little noise right now.

[/HATE]

Leave me alone, I don't want to play with anybody.

If you read the article, "day zero piracy" refers specifically to games that are pirated before the official release, which can have a huge impact on sales. The whole Steam unlocking thingy(where they don't send you the .exe until the exact release date) makes pre-release pirating impossible.

not true, you can play single player game without using steam. also there are many ways around the multiplayer games too.....not very strong methods though.

Quality Games like CSS, CS, and TF2......keeps Valve in business :)

You've failed to understand it.
It not saying they have ended piracy, they have ended the game being pirated before the official launch.An example of day zero piracy is Assassin's creed, which has already been leaked.

I just read my UK PCGamer and I found an article which is almost the exact same as the CVG one.

[HATE]
Sure would like to play the games I BOUGHT and ACTIVATED ONLINE in a SINGLEPLAYER OFFLINE mode.
I won't buy another Valve or Steam game until the ones I already bought (like Epsiode 1), work when my computer is off-line.
I'm not ****ing connecting to you (Steam), just for permission to play a game I bought. I don't care how you spin it, that is bullshit, and I hope you change or go out of business ASAP. I'm attempting to speed up the process by making a little noise right now.
[/HATE]

lol retards

1. Right click game
2. Properties
3. Updates tab
4. Do not update this game
6. ???
7. PROFIT!!!!

[HATE]

[/HATE]

thats your loss. i use offline mode all the time. works like a charm. of course, i know how to use it properly, and what OFFLINE actually means.

Although virus is going overboard Steam is ****ing annoying to 56kers who just want to play their SP games. I know this from a lot of experience. I would have replayed HL2 and EP1 a few times by now if I didn't have to update them. Valve released an update a while ago that lets you play games without them being fully updated, but you still have to update them somewhat to unlock them.

thats your loss. i use offline mode all the time. works like a charm. of course, i know how to use it properly, and what OFFLINE actually means.

Of course it's my loss ****tard.

It's the know-it-all kid. I will slap the happy meal right out of your hands. Exactly the kind of person I would meet if I play online.

lol retards

1. Right click game
2. Properties
3. Updates tab
4. Do not update this game
6. ???
7. PROFIT!!!!
It's grayed out and it says "always update this game", and it won't let me change it.

at least someone is trying to help, instead of showing off.

I lol'd. Are you guys srsly?
Do I sound like I'm joking? I will kick you so hard you'll turn gay.

Again, do you see why I don't want to play online?

Steam fanboys.

Why don't you all download all of your games from steam?

That way when mommy disconnects your internet, you'll be ****ed.

I'm just joking around. I'm super strongly sexually attracted to it, but it's made everything such a hassle, I don't even want to play the game that bad than to deal with it.

I'm a developer, and I've spoken to Valve about Steamworks and they've showed no interest in providing it to us. Perhaps we're too small, but we haven't been treated particularly well by them over it. They aren't giving it left right and center.

That's kinda weird. Did they say why they wouldn't provide it?

You've failed to understand it.
It not saying they have ended piracy, they have ended the game being pirated before the official launch.An example of day zero piracy is Assassin's creed, which has already been leaked.
What penguin said, I just want to add that day zero piracy have a big impact on the game sales.

Valve released an update a while ago that lets you play games without them being fully updated, but you still have to update them somewhat to unlock them.

I've bitched for that update. If I can play HL2 without internet access, then I couldn't see why Episode 1 wouldn't work.

Anyway, since you say it was recently updated, if I connect and update steam itself, and go ahead and update Episode 1, then switch it to 'do not update', maybe then I can play the game without internet connection.

Thanks.

I admit Steam can be a real bitch to get to work in off-line mode, i remembered when i knew i was going to lose my internet for a few weeks, i got it setup so i could use off-line mode, tested it and it worked, then when i did lose my connection off-line mode stopped working. The annoying thing is you must have a fully updated game before you can go off-line maybe that's why your is not working.

Simple fact is... You have to admit that Valve is definitely the forerunner for PC games. They hold the clay that is PC gaming, and they have the power to mold it and shape it to however they want it.

The general gaming community may not see it this way simply because Valve doesn't commercialize Steam and their games like other companies such as Gametap and EA. It's a well kept secret, and your gaming rig is still worth upgrading because of Valve.

But developers and gaming news sites see this and are totally aware, but their voices are only heard within cyber space... Unfortunately.

Sure, other developers like Bioware and iD are also the backbone for this platform, but Valve is heart.

EDIT: Never mind, I just noticed the last line of VirusType's post. I'm the loser here. *facepalm*

If you read the article, "day zero piracy" refers specifically to games that are pirated before the official release, which can have a huge impact on sales. The whole Steam unlocking thingy(where they don't send you the .exe until the exact release date) makes pre-release pirating impossible.

Yeah Valve are not the only ones doing this. Also can someone anyone provide proof of this magical loss of sales from a early pirate release? Ah that's right you can't.

I'm just joking around. I'm super strongly sexually attracted to it, but it's made everything such a hassle, I don't even want to play the game that bad than to deal with it.

Yet anybody with an always on internet connection doesn't have any of the problems you mention.

Yeah Valve are not the only ones doing this. Also can someone anyone provide proof of this magical loss of sales from a early pirate release? Ah that's right you can't.

I think it's a bit naive to think that a game being leaked months before will not hurt it's sales. It's just to stop people who would buy the game being tempted to pirate it because it out on the internet long before it's release date. Lot of people have pirated Assassin's creed for the pc because it been out on the internet for a few weeks now yet it's release date is not till the 11'April. And to be honast i can see what they mean if Episode 3 got leaked out weeks before the official date i would be really tempted to download it. Valves method is by far the most effective way than the others i have seen.

The only thing I'm scared of is someone hacking it or something and all account information/games and stuff is lost.

[HATE]

[/HATE]

Fat chance. Everybody can afford a 24x7 net connection now, welcome to 2008.

Fat chance. Everybody can afford a 24x7 net connection now, welcome to 2008.

My friend, I can't always afford to eat.

That's basically why I hardly buy any games, even though I've been a huge gamer for a long time.

Half-Life 2 was one of my favorite games ever, so I bought Episode 1 even though I had a very limited internet access. (limited or no connectivity most of the time)

The only games I bought this year were Bioshock, and Gears of War, and I probably won't buy another until something huge comes along. I would have bought Orange box had I thought it could work with a very poor connection.

Things have been better lately, and I've got enough money saved up now to purchase a kidney or small lung, but I am in between homes so I can't really get internet.

Right now I'm tapped into my neighbors wireless with permission and would like to get the game set up so it is playable even without internet. I've never been able to play it after I first installed it many months ago.

Also, since I don't like multiplayer games because I'm extremely angry gentleman with high blood pressure, I don't like Steam. I don't want my games using bandwidth to advertise games and whatever else they could possibly need to connect for. I feel like, if I'm going to play the single player campaign, the game has no business going online. I could care less if it's version 1.10291233 or not.

It's grayed out and it says "always update this game", and it won't let me change it.

Well then it appears you have a legitimate complaint, my friend. All I could really suggest is ask why Valve wont let you turn off updates.

Back