Infraction system changes

The point is that loss of privileges at 5 points is more likely to stop someone from doing something that might put them to 10 points. Reaching 10 points is then even more likely to stop them from doing something that puts them to 15. There's no incentive under the current system to stop someone, short of reaching enough points for an outright ban.

i take it if the infractions say "expired" in ur profile they're not being counted.

Somehow, this got posted in the wrong thread, sorry about that -

Seems alright. Shouldn't rarely affect me, if ever. However, I'm going to add my voice - my initial reaction was that taking away the search feature isn't a great idea.

The point is that loss of privileges at 5 points is more likely to stop someone from doing something that might put them to 10 points. Reaching 10 points is then even more likely to stop them from doing something that puts them to 15.

Well, yeah, in some ways that's true.

But I don't agree with you that getting a number of points less than required for a ban is something people don't care about. You know, it's not like people think "oh I want to make some spam posts. Let me check my infractions... hmm yep, I can afford to make 2 spam posts!" Us normal users who aren't actually trying to flame or intentionally spam the forum to hell usually get infractions when we sort of get carried away and forget that we're on a forum where no fun is allowed. Joining in chains, funny image replies, etc.

Adding these inconveniences isn't going to prevent those things from happening.

If you want to cut down on the phenomenon of "oh 5 points means nothing, I can still spam more" then lower the ban requirement to 10 points. THAT'S effective. Don't add arbitrary and annoying punishments that are not effective at all at doing what you think they're going to.

Maybe you should base it all on bans. 5 pts = 5 hrs, 10 pts = 3 days...

Well, yeah, in some ways that's true.

But I don't agree with you that getting a number of points less than required for a ban is something people don't care about. You know, it's not like people think "oh I want to make some spam posts. Let me check my infractions... hmm yep, I can afford to make 2 spam posts!" Us normal users who aren't actually trying to flame or intentionally spam the forum to hell usually get infractions when we sort of get carried away and forget that we're on a forum where no fun is allowed. Joining in chains, funny image replies, etc.

I was willing to pay attention to your post up until that part.
Adding these inconveniences isn't going to prevent those things from happening.

If you want to cut down on the phenomenon of "oh 5 points means nothing, I can still spam more" then lower the ban requirement to 10 points. THAT'S effective. Don't add arbitrary and annoying punishments that are not effective at all at doing what you think they're going to.

You don't know that they're not effective.

Whatever bro.

Edit: I've taped this handy reminder to my monitor, just for you.

98eydc.jpg

I don't have a signature and never create threads... I must be a FORUM CRIMINAL!

Taking away the search function makes me laugh for a couple reasons... one, it'd only foster more bad behavior as those who can't search will post repeat threads, and two, the search is laughably bad anyway! I haven't even bothered since the 60 second re-search time limit was added. You can't use quotation marks to search for a phrase and god help you if the word you want to search for is too short (or an abbreviation in many cases).

No personal offense intended, but this is retarded.

I mean, are forum members here that out of control and unruly and dicks that we need to treat infractions like a ****ing criminal offense?

Kind of robs from the tight-knit community vibe in my opinion.

Oh, we'll still be a tight-knit community, just one that's put under the pressure of ever-increasing restrictions, limitations, and threats. We'll huddle into the corners of our threads, concealing ourselves from the watchful eye of the moderators, evaluating everything we say and do so as not to incur the Infraction Squad. We'll clutch our avatars and signatures to our chests, and be wary not to bypass the filters or start even the meanest chain. Incidents will become a thing of the past, and threads like "Classic Halflife2.net" will be all the more valued as they remind us of a time when we could slip over the line now-and-then and have some fun.

And we'll quietly whisper our discontent, and we'll suggest migrations and plots of uprising. First in jest, but then with more conviction. Across a network of PMs we'll conspire.

But we'll be powerless against the mods, who, though they will see the strife they've caused and how bad of an idea this was, will cling to it as though they cannot face being wrong. And we'll storm the threads and say, "Down with the infraction system! This is stupid! No fun allowed!" And the mods will say, "No sigs! No avatars! No search! Posts taken away! No new threads! EVERYBODY IS BANNED!"

No personal offense intended, but this is retarded.

I mean, are forum members here that out of control and unruly and dicks that we need to treat infractions like a ****ing criminal offense?

Kind of robs from the tight-knit community vibe in my opinion.

Some of them are, yes.

Seeing as I'm not an entirely unreasonable person, I'll leave search enabled at 10 points.

The really interesting part about this is that it's actually possible.

Have you thought about limiting the number of posts they can post in a day before banning them outright? Is it possible as well?

Of course Numbers gets in on this.

:p

Actually numbers idea would be pretty effective, obviously he know how things should be done ;)

As for infractions, the whole system is pretty overkill. Assigning infraction points is really subjective. But i especially hate the double standards on this forum...showing nipples is like a mortal sin, but showing people die, get raped, tortured, shot,... is perfectly fine. :rolleyes:

As for infractions, the whole system is pretty overkill. Assigning infraction points is really subjective. But i especially hate the double standards on this forum...showing nipples is like a mortal sin, but showing people die, get raped, tortured, shot,... is perfectly fine. :rolleyes:

Nipples are the worst..... what if the children saw them.

Seeing as I'm not an entirely unreasonable person, I'll leave search enabled at 10 points.

I might have missed this but what was the thinking behind banning it in the first place? If anything there should be a system where they HAVE to use the search before starting a thread. Though thats probably not possible.

To be honest, I'm not even sure how we rack up points.

Ive been slapped on the wrist once a few years back and had a small timed-ban.

Dont know what constitutes a 'point'. Its probably right here infront of me, Im just too blinded by HL2.net love to see it.

All the infractions I've gotten were worth 3 points. Are they going to be changed to one or a more even number to constitute being able to get 5 or a multiple of that?

Why the hell would you stop people from posting from 15 points onwards? That means that you're effectively banned. Nobody cares about sending PMs.

All the infractions I've gotten were worth 3 points. Are they going to be changed to one or a more even number to constitute being able to get 5 or a multiple of that?

I used to get 3 point infractions. But the last five or so infractions have been 4 points, 5 points, or 10 points each.

How do you know if you gotten an infraction? Do you get a PM from a mod? And how can you keep track of your infractions?

Taco,
go to your profile(your public one), and click infractions on the bar.

How do you know if you gotten an infraction? Do you get a PM from a mod? And how can you keep track of your infractions?

Usually one of the mods (Kinetic Aesthetic) will infraction you, which will come in the form of a PM briefly explaining the reason for it.

These days, it's usually one of the newer mods (Kinetic Aesthetic) because they are kind of like the dish boy; all the older mods make them wash the dirty dishes, but they like it because they are naive.

;)

Why not change the system so that infraction points will only expire one point at a time?

You receive an infraction point, and it takes a month to expire. If you receive another infraction point, this new point does not begin to expire. Instead, this new point will only begin to expire once the original point has expired, adding to the total time required before all infraction points expire.

This method is probably a little more effective. If you're at 5 points, it takes you around 5 months before all your points expire. If you're at 10, it takes 10 months before all your points expire (assuming each point requires a month's time to expire). This creates a disincentive for posters to violate any rules and restrictions, as each additional point they receive only increases the total required time before all points are expired.

The flaw in the previous system is each infraction point having it's own expiring date. You can acquire 10 infraction points on the same date and have them all expire at the same time after a month or so. If only one point expires at a given time, the more infraction points they have, the longer they have to wait before certain privileges are available to them again (such as ability to post).

That's ridicules. Just have longer times for bigger offenses. Or better yet, leave it as it is.

I just don't see why the system needs to be changed at all, because i haven't seen much abuse of it.

Well, obviously you wouldn't see it. Infractions aren't visible to non-moderators. It's pretty damn obvious, though, when someone gets a spam infraction and then gets another one for a near-identical incident a week later or less. Or when someone, for example, keeps on bypassing the swear filter.

Or when someone, for example, keeps on bypassing the swear filter.
Do you honestly have the manpower to deal with that? How many mods do you have in the forums south of Politics? I could probably post a snuff film in Hardware and it might take Asus at least a day or two to check up on it (nothing against him, it's not the most interesting forum ever).

Well, that is why we have the post reporting feature. Be a good citizen! Betray your friends! Fabulous prizes to be won!

Can I report myself for bypassing the swear filter? Do I still win the prize?

Of course the mods never abuse their power. I remember a certain incident when 1/3 of the community was banned because the mods dangled a big fat carrot and dared you to roll the dice.

Do you honestly have the manpower to deal with that? How many mods do you have in the forums south of Politics? I could probably post a snuff film in Hardware and it might take Asus at least a day or two to check up on it (nothing against him, it's not the most interesting forum ever).

Except that quite a few mods use the "new posts" feature. So I'd probably find it immediately, unless the thread title was something dry and hardware-ish.

Well, obviously you wouldn't see it. Infractions aren't visible to non-moderators. It's pretty damn obvious, though, when someone gets a spam infraction and then gets another one for a near-identical incident a week later or less. Or when someone, for example, keeps on bypassing the swear filter.

I dont see how this disrupts anything though. Do you guys get angry PMs every time Darkside bypasses the filter or something?

I thought Infractions were like Xbox Live Achievements?

So far, I only have the 'bypass the fuck-filter' and 'spam posting' achievements. They're not the good ones either, as they're only worth 2 and 3 points respectively. I think I get a new forum unlock if I get the 'post pictures of your genitals' achievement.

Haha, casual.

I have the inappropriate content achievement, spam/pointless posting, trolling/flamebaiting, bypassing word filter, HUGE AMOUNTS OF SPAM(my favorite), and man, I must have achieved spam/pointless posting at least 20 times!

My 10 point one for (Spam / Avoiding word filter & Inappropriate Content) got me congratulations from Glenn for hitting all three criteria in one post. My proudest moment on hl2.net to date.

Apparently I've had 67 infraction points in my hl2.net career, and ive gotten all the achievements. I wonder if this thread is about me?

Last time I counted I had around 55 I think. I've been clean for over a year!

How do you even get the total? I'm only seeing the ones I got in 2009.

Back