Left 4 Dead 2 Gameplay Videos & RPS Podcast

1. True
2. True, but but we do know they will add more depth than L4D provided
3. It won't
4. Listen to the podcast in the first post. Chet gets asked this question. I'll clarify.

Chet said. LEFT 4 DEAD WILL STILL BE UPDATED AFTER LEFT 4 DEAD 2 IS RELEASED.

People, the man knows his stuff.

Don't understand why anyone would want to continue playing Left 4 Dead if Left 4 Dead 2 is supposed to be everything L4D was, but, well, better. :/

I still think Valve acquired Turtle Rock a bit late in L4D's development cycle, and while Valve may have polished a bit, I think a good deal of it was Turtle Rock's run. More-than-likely (looking like it), Valve had wanted the inclusion of other mechanics, but the groundwork had already been layed a bit thick. Now I'm sure they could've added it in increments as updates, but then I go back to Antipop's thoughts on the said extensivity of the changes. Either way, they're obviously going to be changing quite a bit around the core gameplay, they obviously felt they needed to, and it makes more sense here to just throw something like that into a new project.

I don't have any qualms about the finished quality or paying for it; I think I can scrounge together another $60.00 over the next ****ing year. Hell, if I'm still around, maybe the site could host some sort of competition, and I might buy first place the damn game.

Oh, hi.

Don't understand why anyone would want to continue playing Left 4 Dead if Left 4 Dead 2 is supposed to be everything L4D was, but, well, better. :/
So you think it's reasonable and intelligent to stop using a piece of entertainment media you already own because an improved version will be released five months from now?

So you think it's reasonable and intelligent to stop using a piece of entertainment media you already own because an improved version will be released five months from now?

Natch, that kinda goes without saying since it's based on improving everything about the original and essentially replacing it. I understand the reason for updating the original I guess, since it's inevitable that players will dislike the new additions, whether or not they're supposed to enhance the original. If it is everything the original was and a bag of chips, then yeah, I'll probably stop playing the original. I'm pretty sure I'll get over leaving L4D's endearing cast of stereotypes, and that deep plot.

EDIT: Think I'd mistaken what you were saying for something else.

Riom means stop playing L4D now.

Oh, well, that certainly makes more sense.

Nah, though, not now.

I think everyone here has some good points, but as usual forum idiocy has picked up and the fanboy / ingrate accusations have started. Good job, everyone. Of course I think the fact that they are making more L4D content is great, but I was a little shocked to learn that there was a SEQUEL coming already. I mean, doesn't it usually take valve a few YEARS to even put out a new episode installment for HL2? If they were billing this as a 15-20 dollar "Left 4 Dead Episode 2" thing I'd understand but...I have a hard time swallowing that this is going to be a full-on sequel. I will say this, and go ahead and let the whiner accusations start, I don't care: If they expect me to pay 50 bucks for some new maps, new models and some new weapons and a few new zombies....meeeeep, sorry.

If it's a new game, shame on them.
If it's a lost cost, low size enhancement/expansion pack... shame on us.

Valve fans can seriously be the most annoying bitches I have ever heard or seen.

I for one welcome our new L4D2 overlords.

Left for Dead 2? **** that i am not buying this crap, if they want to put out a sequel a year after the release of the first they can go hang. They aren't getting another payout of my damn hard earned, only for a few extras. How about a little consumer loyalty instead of trying to **** over the fans? I love Valve, it's an amazing company but this practice makes me quite disappointed.

****. That. Shit.

I am extremely disapointed in Valve. This is the "shiney new game" footage that they were talking about?

First they say that footage will be shown at the begining of the new year and that they are waiting until L4D ships and then they'll show some 'stuff' reguarding Ep3, and yet every other footage but Ep3 comes out.

Honestly, I used to be on the first line waiting eagerly in anticipation for the HL games and episodes, and now... with nothing being shown, I am not excited as I would be in years past. Number 2, I think this is signs of another Team Fortress 2 type of wait, and how many years did it take for it to come out?

I played the L4D demo, I never thought of it as anything special, and that feeling is the same with L4D2.

I am extremely disapointed in Valve. This is the "shiney new game" footage that they were talking about?

First they say that footage will be shown at the begining of the new year and that they are waiting until L4D ships and then they'll show some 'stuff' reguarding Ep3, and yet every other footage but Ep3 comes out.

Honestly, I used to be on the first line waiting eagerly in anticipation for the HL games and episodes, and now... with nothing being shown, I am not excited as I would be in years past. Number 2, I think this is signs of another Team Fortress 2 type of wait, and how many years did it take for it to come out?

I played the L4D demo, I never thought of it as anything special, and that feeling is the same with L4D2.
For the record, Valve is having their conference tomorrow and we all know L4D is the most mainstream game they have, so it was an obvious choice to show at the Microsoft conference.

Here is HD youtube trailer for you lovely peeps.

<object ><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/75SFa7VV5X8&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/75SFa7VV5X8&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" ></embed></object>

I swear I posted in this thread.

For a second I thought of it was "L4D2" as in, the same way a movie sequence was done, and that it was really a DLC.

Hmm.

For the love of god, why?

New games cost us $100

And the game is hardly a baby! Why would they bother to make a new game where TF2 is THRIVING with constant updates...

OMG OMG OMG OMG!
I opened Steam and had to blink several times to really realize it.

As mentioned already, it is far too soon for a full-price L4D sequel. If they'd have waited another year before this announcement, and given the same sort of support to L4D that we've come to expect from Valve (masters of added-value content.) they would have had a far better response.

I can only hope that this rushed sequel isn't a smokescreen to divert attention from the lack of announcement (yet) regarding Ep3 / Portal 2 / CS2, etc.

They really should have kept the original characters. They need to have them as other selectable characters on top of the new ones. I'll probably buy it, but really Valve.

Where the HELL is Episode 3?

Twwix,

fingersup.jpg

Nicely done man.

Its worth mentioning that they are looking into compatibility between the original L4D and the new one.

Personally I look at it sorta like a Race/GTR Evolution thing. Different products that combine into one whole.

The only reservation I have is Valve didn't really fix the server issues with the first one.

Very sorry to say aswell but Im so not impressed with what I saw. Sure, new CONTENT is always fun, but bringing sunlight into it just totally makes it into something that people dont connect with L4D.

The leveldesign on those demovideos were really lame as well. I just hope that Valve don't stress and release something that's clearly not fulfilling the L4D-vibe, just because the first game sold $$$$$.

I too am not impressed, it looks too much like L4D, I barely see anything that couldn't be done through modding. I think I'll give this one a pass.

It's not like zombies sleep during the day, They will most likely be having maps progressing through several different times during a 24 hour period. So Dawn, Day, Dusk, Night. Plus the added feature of the "Director" being able to change dynamically to all kinds of different weather forecasts, probably mist, thunderstorm, hurricane storms I dunno.

I think L4D2 will most likely be just as fun if not more than L4D, and as someone mentioned Valve might attempt to make them compatible probably meaning that L4D maps might eventionally with a little tweaking be able to load in L4D2 with the weather effects etc.

That's my 2 cents.

P.S. Sub-urban Hillbilly Tank = rofl

As much as I agree that the idea of releasing a full blow sequel this soon after isn’t very a “Valve move” I don’t think we need to be “freaking” out just yet.
I do feel it looks a bit amateur mod like at the moment but I’m hoping that’s just because it’s still work in progress. I’m not too sure about the change from serious and creepy to light hearted and cheesy is the best move but never the less it still looks fun.
I really recommend that all of you who have a problem with this listen to the interview. At first glance I was all like “WTF this is a terrible idea, why did I buy L4D, I want more content for that not a new game!” but after listening to the “podcast” it does make you release it isn’t just some random idea.
Personally I would like this game to be a standalone expansion to L4D more than calling it a sequel. Plus I'm really not a fan of the name, should be “Left 4 Dead Suburbs” or something. This way they could release more and more expansion packs (that we pay for) based in different areas around the world.
For now, we wait...

Man, just hearing the reused zombie sounds and theme musics makes me sick. I hope it is something more than a standalone game.

They really should have kept the original characters. They need to have them as other selectable characters on top of the new ones. I'll probably buy it, but really Valve.

Where the HELL is Episode 3?
Do you guys read anymore? Valve's conference is at 2pm PST today. They're going to announce it then.

Poor Valve. If they have decided to release and announce L4D2 half a year later (probably on the next summer), they would have got all the applause.

I can't believe some people are saying that this (which more levels than the original L4D according to RPS) should be released as a free update to L4D. Valve really have spoiled people with the free TF2 map updates.

I can't believe some people are saying that this (which more levels than the original L4D according to RPS) should be released as a free update to L4D. Valve really have spoiled people with the free TF2 map updates.

L4D2 is too much to be DLC (New weapons, maps, stories and upgraded AI director), but too little to be a standalone game(reused sounds, models and gameplay content).

What a lot of little bitches the HL2.net community are. At least I'm not on the Steam boards

Man, I have always rooted for Valve. But it's like you can't express discontent or hesitation on this forum over some of their decisions without being a whining ingrate. Granted, the batches of perpetual naysayers that spring up whenever Valve does anything don't help.

I've picked up every one of their games at release sans L4D. I think I'm allowed to have a differing perspective on this.

A word on people bitching and whining about L4D2 not being released as DLC:

Free content is a bonus, an addition, a commodity - it is not something to be expected or demanded. Valve are a company; they are not contractually bound to deliver anything of a sort (though they often do), and it is in their interest to receive income - it surprises me how many of you people can't quite grasp this very basic, everyday concept. Anything - anything - received for free, regardless of promise, is a luxury. You are being asked to pay for a sequel a year later after the release of the first. Is that so repulsive an idea to you?

This is not Steampowered. I expect more from the community on this forum, but it would appear the ability to analyse the recent news in a reasonable manner is beyond some of you. If you wish to voice your idiotic ravings on the subject of DLC and/or would like to compare Valve to EA, please vacate to the aforementioned play pen - there is a standard here, and it does not involve the deluge of horse manure that is some of the posts I am having to read.

Forgive me if im wrong but since when did a major game get a new release every year? Halo? no.. Metal Gear? no.. oh I know! EA sports titles!

Seriously, that game has basiclly new maps, new boss infected (which the community asked for), new weapons and some new AI.. apart from the AI everything else could of been added via DLC.. theyve even got the original sounds in >.<

A word on people bitching and whining about L4D2 not being released as DLC:

Free content is a bonus, an addition, a commodity - it is not something to be expected or demanded. Valve are a company; they are not contractually bound to deliver anything of a sort (though they often do), and it is in their interest to receive income - it surprises me how many of you people can't quite grasp this very basic, everyday concept. Anything - anything - received for free, regardless of promise, is a luxury. You are being asked to pay for a sequel a year later after the release of the first. Is that so repulsive an idea to you?

This is not Steampowered. I expect more from the community on this forum, but it would appear the ability to analyse the recent news in a reasonable manner is beyond some of you. If you wish to voice your idiotic ravings on the subject of DLC and/or would like to compare Valve to EA, please vacate to the aforementioned play pen - there is a standard here, and it does not involve the deluge of horse manure that is some of the posts I am having to read.
Said it better than I could. Thanks Samon.

Back