Miscellaneous

Hi, Mutoid Man is right - please try to post better. I'm looking at you

I've taken it upon myself to doodle in PS more in my spare time. Namely, I (try to) do comic strips every Saturday. It's mostly for my own amusement but a few of my butt-buddies persuaded me to get a Tumblr account and upload them on there. Here is one such venture:

pizzacomicstripjpeg.jpg

change it to Suqadique LN. People would assume it was one of those streets named after an Indian tribe - thus adding humor to your work. (no offense)

I'm trying to think up some ideas on how to design a portable miniature bridge.

It's used for bridging ceremonies, something scouting related... but anyway, It's like 2 feet wide by 4 feet long or so... and kind of an arched style, with arching handrails and arching walking platform.

My goal is to be able to create something that can fold so I can A: store it with less space required and leaving room for maybe more of them, and B: have people who don't have minivans or trucks be able to come pick the thing up.

The main problem would be splitting the walking platform, with some mechanisms beneath to allow it to fold in half, while still being able to support the weight it could previously, or at least most of it.

Had a shitty day at work and need to vent. Be warned.

So we had this customer, who dropped off his computer because it had the notorious FBI virus. The computer had two accounts, one for him and one for his wife. He had a fingerprint scanner that allowed him to log in automatically, but what he didn't know was that he was using his wife's account, and his wife was using his account (they set up the fingerprints backwards apparently, and also the fingerprint scanners are bullshit and don't really work, but that's another story). Anyways, he also said he had issues forwarding emails and shit, so we said we'd take a look at that too, and just quoted him the $79 virus removal price. While we're working on it, him and his wife both call up on multiple occasions, adding in more problems they want us to fix (like how their Microsoft Word is "blurry"... wtf?)

Anyways, we fixed it. Viruses (80+) removed, passwords removed so they could just click into their misnamed accounts (something they asked us to do) we reset their Office settings (Word was starting in it's safe mode), reset their firewall, antivirus, internet explorer settings, cleaned out the registry, temporary files, and autoruns, and took care of all the other shit they piled on top of the original work order. Everything looked good, we did it all in the time-frame we originally quoted them despite it being more work than we originally were asked to do. They came and picked it up Monday.

Today I get a call from the pissed off guy, saying he had another issue with it, went to "Speedy PC Pro" and had them fix the "trace damages" on his computer for $300. Instead of calling us, the people he already paid, to help him, he goes to this online, remote access "service" and pays them more money. They showed him that he had "6000+ trace damages" which, upon asking him what they meant by that I discovered meant registry files and temp files, which we cleaned. So like a rational person he paid them $300 before even calling us. So now he's all pissed that we didn't do a cleanup (which btw, isn't what it was checked in for, it was a virus removal, we did the cleanup of our own accord as just something we do for people with normal software service) and says we lied to him and etc, because Speedy PC Pro showed him a thing that said 6000+ errors.

This ****ing guy didn't even do a 10 second google search to look up (all of these links are first page results) this Speedy PC Pro company which would have shown it to be a complete, and literal scam with bogus software that reports non-existent errors to scare you into paying $300 to fix them. He refuses to believe me that he got scammed, wants a full refund (which we denied him), and he cusses at me for awhile, calls me a liar, and hangs up. Probably going to have to fight a stop-payment on his credit card now, deal with a Better Business Bureau complaint, and maybe even fight him in court over it (my boss said he's ok with that lol, wants to prove a point).

So now he's probably going to have more viruses thanks to this scam, meaning he's going to think we didn't remove them, which means I'll probably be hearing from him again (and have to deal with him myself, because I'm the only employee in the building 90% of the time).

I hear trace damages, and I think of circuit board traces.

Sounds shitty Krynn. But in that situation I'd just laugh. I'd laugh that idiots actually fall for the bogus commercials on TV and internet ads. But after realizing that, I'd cry.

What kind of idiot would pay 300 dollars to clean up their computer.

Up front customer service is a shitty business, especially in computers I'd imagine. I have enough of a headache with my own family. **** other people.

I hear trace damages, and I think of circuit board traces.

Sounds shitty Krynn. But in that situation I'd just laugh. I'd laugh that idiots actually fall for the bogus commercials on TV and internet ads. But after realizing that, I'd cry.

What kind of idiot would pay 300 dollars to clean up their computer.
The second he said $300 I knew he got scammed. We don't have any service, hardware or software that costs that much money for labor.

Its not bad most days, customers are usually trusting, and 90% of people walk out happy. The biggest aggravation is simply the volume of work, especially when I'm alone. I'm now fixing every hardware issue with laptops except motherboard issues (reflows, dc jacks, etc) and screen replacements (managing all the parts would be madness) so those get sent to our HQ. I also do all desktop repairs, Iphone screen replacements, game console disk drive issues, all software issues, dealing with customers (check ins and check outs), answering the phone (probably like 20% of my day is on the phone giving estimates on repairs, or with customers asking for updates on their shit even though we say a million times that we will call them when there's anything to update them on, or), stocking the shelves, managing inventory, and cleaning. People ask me if I'm the owner because I'm the only one they ever see in the store (we're next to a starbucks so a lot of people walk by us daily). I get paid shit considering all this work.

Man Krynn, you're doing the job I would hate to do. I thought in the past I might like a computer repair type job. But over the years I've grown so disillusioned from my family always asking me to fix their computer problems and never trying to do anything themselves, and never following responsible protocols to avoid getting viruses in the first place.

It got to the point where I was just... ugh, don't bother me with this shit.

And this, Krynn, is why I ragequit GeekSquad. Haha. But now I'm unemployed. :(
Did you actually do anything at Geek Squad? The one here just sends people to us, because they don't do shit there, and it all gets sent out. Probably like a quarter of our business is referred to us by two guys at Best Buy lol. I also get people from Cox (an ISP) AT&T, and Verizon. Apparently I do a good job, so now word is getting out, so more people are coming here, and putting more and more pressure on me.

Its really not as bad as my hyperbolic ranting makes it seem. I still find it to be better than any other job I see popping up in classifieds and whatnot, and I do still enjoy troubleshooting and fixing computers. Its just the people side of it I dislike, and it honestly is only a small portion of the people that get on my nerves. I like learning new things, which is why I've taken on so much work. Before starting here, I had never even opened up a laptop, a phone, or a game console. Now I can tear them down in minutes and figure out whats wrong with them rather quickly.

Just seems like skills that are rather handy, and its fun to do.

Did you actually do anything at Geek Squad? The one here just sends people to us, because they don't do shit there, and it all gets sent out. Probably like a quarter of our business is referred to us by two guys at Best Buy lol. I also get people from Cox (an ISP) AT&T, and Verizon. Apparently I do a good job, so now word is getting out, so more people are coming here, and putting more and more pressure on me.

There's also this.

http://voices.yahoo.com/geek-squads-geeks-dont-fix-computer-best-buys-559688.html?cat=9

How very interesting.

The employees you talk to at the store don't fix your computer. How could they?: They're expected to spend most of their time on the sales floor pitching Geek Squad setups, moving from customer to customer like some door-to-door insurance salesman. So who fixes it if the "technicians" are actually just selling? Agent Jonny Utah, that's who. Agent Jonny Utah is a program rolled out by Best Buy in 2006 that allows technicians in a remote location to access computers needing repair, and perform software repairs remotely. These remote technicians are located (of course) in India. We would hook the computer up, select the service to be performed, and head out to the sales floor to sell some more services while the laughably incompetent Indian technicians attempted to fix the computer remotely.

What do they do if they can't get the internet connection working? Probably send it to you guys. lol

Wii U received.

That is improper English my friend. Why the double personal pronoun? Though I think that's not even what a double personal pronoun means...

I don't know how to English.

There's also this.

http://voices.yahoo.com/geek-squads-geeks-dont-fix-computer-best-buys-559688.html?cat=9

How very interesting.

What do they do if they can't get the internet connection working? Probably send it to you guys. lol
We had their "MRI" disk, which is basically just an all-in-one fix software. You click it and it resets a bunch of settings. It was left in a computer of one of their customers who got pissed at them and took the computer to us. It didn't work very well, usually it failed to change half the settings it tried to change. It also performed rudimentary diagnostics, all of which could be done with freeware in a much more detailed fashion. Pretty sure we just threw it away, don't recall seeing it after we tested it out a couple times.

There was also another time when they gave this lady recovery disks they made for her (at an extra cost of course) which turned out to be blank cds with "recovery disk 1" and "2" written on them in sharpie. It could have been an honest mistake, they may have grabbed the wrong disks when going to write on them, but they refused to give her a refund or recreate them.

Today I had two customers cuss them out, saying how ridiculous their shit is, and how glad they are that we offer an alternative choice.

This makes me so happy I am going into the engineering profession. Working in the service industry is like waiting for a punchline that never arrives.

So there's some snow outside and I'm thinking nothing of it. Check the news and school (for my bro) isn't delayed or closed. I go to drop him off, I'm going barely 15 mph and couldn't stop the car in time at the stop sign, slipped on some ice. There was another vehicle coming but they were also going slow and able to stop in time, so there was no accident fortunately. I turn the car around and come back home, not driving in this shit. Don't know wtf the county is thinking, it's clearly below freezing and they at the very least should delay until some salt and plows get through this shit.

We had their "MRI" disk, which is basically just an all-in-one fix software. You click it and it resets a bunch of settings. It was left in a computer of one of their customers who got pissed at them and took the computer to us. It didn't work very well, usually it failed to change half the settings it tried to change. It also performed rudimentary diagnostics, all of which could be done with freeware in a much more detailed fashion. Pretty sure we just threw it away, don't recall seeing it after we tested it out a couple times.

There was also another time when they gave this lady recovery disks they made for her (at an extra cost of course) which turned out to be blank cds with "recovery disk 1" and "2" written on them in sharpie. It could have been an honest mistake, they may have grabbed the wrong disks when going to write on them, but they refused to give her a refund or recreate them.

Today I had two customers cuss them out, saying how ridiculous their shit is, and how glad they are that we offer an alternative choice.

Fsecking lol at MRI (and our recovery disks which we charged $100 for). We used to throw those around like frisbees. Basically just nukes the HDD and loads up a bunch of proprietary best buy version OS and bloatware onto peoples computers.

So there's some snow outside and I'm thinking nothing of it. Check the news and school (for my bro) isn't delayed or closed. I go to drop him off, I'm going barely 15 mph and couldn't stop the car in time at the stop sign, slipped on some ice. There was another vehicle coming but they were also going slow and able to stop in time, so there was no accident fortunately. I turn the car around and come back home, not driving in this shit. Don't know wtf the county is thinking, it's clearly below freezing and they at the very least should delay until some salt and plows get through this shit.

Yeah, I've already been in two near-accidents and can't understand how places utterly refuse to shut down for at least half a day to get things in order.

My dad was up in Wisconsin the past couple weeks for work, and had to test machinery outside in the elements. Apparently they had so much clothing on that when a guy slipped and fell off the top of the truck they were testing, he was perfectly fine. My dad was so happy to be back home in CT where its a warm 30 degrees.

Ef you guys. I've literally closed the blinds on every window, closed every door with windows, taped up every vent, turned on any possible light and have the heat up as far as it can go. It's still cold.

I'm drinking a solution of water and 1/4 teaspoon of Borax, and you all should too.

So like what does that do for you?

Borax is pure sodium tetraboride, which is a salt of boron - an essential trace mineral mostly lacking from Western diets. A lot of people think it's really harmful for two reasons: 1) because it's only found in the detergent section at the grocery store, and 2) because it's reported to be toxic. But most of the studies calling it toxic actually tested both borax and boric acid, making no real distinction between the two, and the few that actually tested only borax found that it's only toxic to infants and fetuses. The actual toxicity is on the level of table salt - the LD50 for adult rats is 2.5-5 GRAMS per kilogram of body weight. So as long as you're not pregnant or breastfeeding, you probably should be taking it as a supplement. It's also an alkaline so it can help your body balance its pH levels. Some people think that body acidity is implicated in cancer, and others have reported that it helps to cure systemic fungal infections like candida (which is itself caused by an incorrect pH balance in the body).

It tastes rather sweet as a solution in water.

who in the hell told you that was a good idea?

til Stigmata is into pseudo-science alternative medicine hooey

The internet did. Weren't you here for my "you should all try oil pulling" thread last year? It was a big hit with the HL2 crowd... and my gum health.

Also I lightly scrubbed my hands with it and I think it cured my eczema temporarily. My thumb has been tearing up the past few days (as in shredding, not leaking pus :V ) and it seriously has almost completely healed up in the past 30 minutes.

well, whatever works for you I guess :V !

I DO remember some guy telling us to eat various mushrooms and cave molds, he was VERY insistent despite lacking any sort of evidence

That definitely wasn't me hahaha, that sounds scary as ****

I was just stuck at a railway crossing(level crossing I think it's called) for a train that was never coming. I was wondering why so many cars were doing uturns to go back the other way... it was crazy how many.

My home is just beyond it, and I was in no hurry, so I waited to see what was up.

Apparently they got stuck, and when police came, they weren't able to actually shut it off. They had to push them up manually and hold them there as cars came through.

When I passed the cop who held the one up on my side, I gave him a thumbs up and shouted, "You rock!" cause he'll have to be out there for who knows how long until it's fixed/reset/whatever.

Back