Miscellaneous

Seriously. At least Mutoid Man is stuck in a semi-decent pose. My avatar has this weird squint going on :(

I ****ing love carrot cake.

Just went to a social occasion that I thought would suck but didn't suck. Hooray.

I ****ing love carrot cake.

Carrot cake is pretty good generally, but I think that its way too dependent on the icing - it needs something light, but oily enough to carry the rest of the cake. A lot of the time you get what could be a pretty good carrot cake with a full centimeter of way too sugary, way too rich icing on top and it's really unpleasant.

A very under-appreciated cake is zucchini cake - my mother used to make a pretty excellent example, but I've tried a few others, and they've always been really nice. It's a pretty bland vegetable, but that works really well when you add a bunch of butter and sugar and so on, it absorbs all the flavours and you get a really delicious moist, slightly vegetative cake.

cakelife2.net

How do you guys think this thread is going?
This thread is great. Don't ever delete it. It delved a bit into nonsense there for a bit, but casual talk keeps this place feeling like a community.

I'm not a huge fan of cake to be honest. There's one "cake" that my mom makes thats not really cake, and its great. I can't remember what it is, but its like layers of cake, whipped cream, chocolate syrup, and some kind of chocolate candy (usually Skor bars). It becomes a non-solid cake, and rather than "cutting a slice", you just scoop some out. No idea what its called but its delicious.

But regular cake... meh. I'm also not huge into Ice Cream.

I think this thread is going pretty well, much better than I expected. My latest bit of news: I'm doing tutoring at the moment for the maths department. I've been getting paid (though I think I'm being taxed the wrong amount) but my payslips weren't coming into the maths department. It turns out they were in the physics department who I did some correcting work for last year and I was still down as being based there.

Edit: Shit Raz that's awful. My sympathies.

I like this thread. We might have silly shit sometimes but I think people have a good idea of when to reel it in.

Condolences, Raz.

My dad, my other living uncle and that living uncles eldest son all share a birthday with the (eldest) uncle who killed himself. It will always be a painful reminder when gathering for their birthday now.

I wasn't as close to him as my other Uncle that lives here in Texas, but still thought he was an awesome guy. He was a masseur and growing up I always thought it was cool that he got to massage the bodies of all those women. Heh.

I feel really bad, because the last e-mail he sent me was a Merry Christmas chain letter type e-mail, and I never responded. I never responded to a lot of his e-mails because they were chain letter type e-mails. :(

I have a minor migraine and it's making it very hard to focus on statistics and web design work when I keep getting vertigo from looking around to fast.

Also: that shit sucks Raz. It's hard to lose family, especially to suicide.

Finally putting my new tablet to real use, and dusting off my FBF animation skills.

My fingers hurt.

My dad updated me and my brother. Apparently he was taking Ambien for a while, and he was really kind of out of it the past week or so before his death, and his friends and stuff were trying to get him to go to the hospital or something.

The side effects of the Ambien is something my uncle should have known about, says my dad... since my uncle was a trained police officer(a firearm was used), a registered nurse, etc. It's a little bit more comforting that it wasn't all just down to horrific thoughts and depressing that might have driven to it, but still terrible knowing the ultimate outcome.

Drugs can be very scary.

Condolences Raz, thats terrible. Side effects like that are what make me weary of using medication for anything but the most excruciating ailments.

Trying to figure out what to give my girlfriend for Valentines day. We weren't going to do anything for this hallmark holiday cooked up to sell cards but she missed my birthday now it's essential. I thought lipstick was a generally acceptable gift so I took a photo of her from her facebook page to alter the tones of her lips to find a nice shade. This isn't creepy in the slightest right? It's thoughtful I determined.

Trying to figure out what to give my girlfriend for Valentines day. We weren't going to do anything for this hallmark holiday cooked up to sell cards but she missed my birthday now it's essential. I thought lipstick was a generally acceptable gift so I took a photo of her from her facebook page to alter the tones of her lips to find a nice shade. This isn't creepy in the slightest right? It's thoughtful I determined.

Chanel is the best. It smells nice and it doesn't leave stains on your lips when it fades off.

Chanel is the best. It smells nice and it doesn't leave stains on your lips when it fades off.

I'll have to keep that in mind, good to get some solid advice. I haven't the slightest clue when it comes to brands. Only the colour :p

Trying to figure out what to give my girlfriend for Valentines day.
The pounding of a life time.

Also, Hot Chocolate after sex is excellent. It really is.

Also, Hot Chocolate after sex is excellent. It really is.

Making hot chocolate would please her more than sex.
I've figured it out, I'm buying her lipstick with this hue:
UtB5tLp.jpg
Strawberry scented candles and a book recommended by her favourite author.
And I guess I can make hot chocolate; but the smell will indicate that i'll have to do enough for her room-mates :/

Making hot chocolate would please her more than sex.

I've figured it out, I'm buying her lipstick with this hue:

UtB5tLp.jpg

Comparing RGB codes, either this or this is closest to the colour you want. They don't give prices on the website but I recall paying between €40 and €50 the last time I bought lipstick from Chanel. So it's expensive! If you're buying her other things too you'd get away with getting a cheaper brand. Also, since it's a pretty neutral colour, a cheaper brand will suffice...you need to spend money when you wear strong colours because the cheap ones tend to stain your lips and skin, but with mild colours like this that doesn't really happen. MAC also do some very nice ones and they're considerably cheaper.

I hope I'm not the only one who finds the act of wearing lipstick to be incredibly goofy, and in most cases... unattractive.

I hope I'm not the only one who finds the act of wearing lipstick to be incredibly goofy, and in most cases... unattractive.

Lipstick is awesome. As soon as I put it on I feel like Marylin Monroe. Goofy and unattractive it may be, but I don't care. I'm pretty sure it gives me superpowers, so it's worth it.

Edit: It's also really handy if you're drinking with people and all of your glasses look the same, because you'll always know which is yours.

Lipstick is awesome. As soon as I put it on I feel like Marylin Monroe. Goofy and unattractive it may be, but I don't care. I'm pretty sure it gives me superpowers, so it's worth it.

Edit: It's also really handy if you're drinking with people and all of your glasses look the same, because you'll always know which is yours.

Lipstick is an interesting thing. It's like shoes: no matter what choice you make, it says something about you.

Skip to 4:55 for the relevant bit. Can't figure out how to make the embedded video start at the right time.

Lipstick is an interesting thing. It's like shoes: no matter what choice you make, it says something about you.

I think if you fall into the belief that you can judge a man by his shoes, by his clothes... you can easily misjudge people, based on faulty notions from the past. I think more often than not you'll misjudge people.

How would you view a man wearing a nice suit and nice shoes?

How would you view a man wearing a nice suit and unkempt shoes?

How would you view a man wearing nice shoes and unkempt clothes?

How would you view a man wearing unkempt clothes and unkempt shoes?

I believe quality of character can never be judged accurately based on these notions of vanity. Some of the snakiest people in the world are undoubtedly going to be well dressed, well oiled individuals with a great sense of fashion. Some of the most well natured, kind hearted individuals conversely may not be as similarly obsessed about vanity, if at all. I think the past notions that any individual who respects himself respects the small details in life, such as care of shoes, is patently unreliable.

Who said clothes accurately define you as a person? They just say something about you. Whether or not it's accurate is another thing entirely.

EDIT: I guess I'll stop making posts like these, because to some people they "paint me in a bad light".

EDIT: I guess I'll stop making posts like these, because to some people they "paint me in a bad light".

You are excessively confrontational and your arguments are centered almost entirely on the hypothetical (i.e., they are indefensible). You used a straw man of my position, instead of asking me to clarify first so that I could define my position with something more in-depth than an off-hand comment. Your style of debate is asinine and there was no valid reason to turn this into a soapbox for your own personal views to start with. That's why it paints you in a bad light.

I think if you fall into the belief that you can judge a man by his shoes, by his clothes... you can easily misjudge people, based on faulty notions from the past. I think more often than not you'll misjudge people.

How would you view a man wearing a nice suit and nice shoes?

How would you view a man wearing a nice suit and unkempt shoes?

How would you view a man wearing nice shoes and unkempt clothes?

How would you view a man wearing unkempt clothes and unkempt shoes?

I believe quality of character can never be judged accurately based on these notions of vanity. Some of the snakiest people in the world are undoubtedly going to be well dressed, well oiled individuals with a great sense of fashion. Some of the most well natured, kind hearted individuals conversely may not be as similarly obsessed about vanity, if at all. I think the past notions that any individual who respects himself respects the small details in life, such as care of shoes, is patently unreliable.

I'm tired of this cropping up. I'm tired of you making those generalizations that you so abhor about me, based simply on my posts on an internet forum. I'm annoyed now, and I'm going to perforate all of your arguments.

Your hypothetical arguments have no relevance, why are you even mentioning them? They don't prove anything except you can do a good round of what-if.

The way we dress is not what defines us, but who we are defines the way we dress. That is a subtle distinction in my argument you still do not, or will not, grasp. In fact, 90% of the time someone's shoes alone are an easy way to assess their personality. Your claim of "more often than not" that I would mis-assess someone is empirically false. You lose on that count, hands down. It's called self-expression, and every human in history engages in it without exception.

At no point have I ever said that lipstick, shoes, clothes, or anything else is a perfect barometer of the person's character. Character is determined by actions, but character is also only a part of any one person's "self." I have only said that it is an easy way to get a general gauge of who you are talking to right off the bat; that is what self-expression does. It signals to those around you what kind of person you are. There is literally no way to be sure about anyone 100%, so your argument of "you never know for sure!" fails anyway because it is a trivial claim when viewed as a general case.

Now it's my turn to refute YOUR claim. You define any choice of clothing that isn't the cheapest, most comfortable (by your definition of comfort by the way) thing one can wear as being vain. I've already crushed your argument on that count once. I lack the patience to do so again. Instead, I leave a Pratchett quote:

“The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money.

Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

This was the Captain Samuel Vimes 'Boots' theory of socioeconomic unfairness.”

Well in that case I think the best choice is no shoes, aka no lipstick.

EDIT:
Hey, I missed this one! That's the 1960s, not the 2010s. Please refrain from using social conventions that are 50 years out of date to refute a claim made about modern times. It just looks like you're desperate to prove a point.

You are excessively confrontational and your arguments are centered almost entirely on the hypothetical (i.e., they are indefensible). You used a straw man of my position, instead of asking me to clarify first so that I could define my position with something more in-depth than an off-hand comment. Your style of debate is asinine and there was no valid reason to turn this into a soapbox for your own personal views to start with. That's why it paints you in a bad light.

I made no off hand comment about you, but you're inclined to believe what you want and post what you want to feel as if you can crush me. I was talking about the practice of judging people based on their clothes.

I don't see why you feel the need to try and rip me a new one, for expressing my opinion on something. I wasn't debating.

Also, the 1960's thing about lipstick was a humorous aside. But you, for some strange reason, made it into more than what it was.

Can people reply to something you post without you feeling like you're being confronted? I don't feel like I deserved your post.

Back