New carpet installed. Something to protect it from office chair?

Raziaar

I Hate Custom Titles
Reaction score
Hey guys, we got a new carpet installed. Didn't need to be installed... we were originally going to clean it(my dad's new wife's idea, then she wanted to transform a 200 dollar job to a 2000 dollar job by getting new carpets installed.

Anyways. Any ideas on how I could protect the carpet around my desk area and my office chair? Don't really want to dirty it up or tear it up by moving the chair around a lot.

I was checking out some office chair mats and even the plastic ones are in the price range of 100+ bucks, the others being 200+ bucks. Absolutely ridiculous.

I've heard, I think from some members on these forums, bad things about those spikey plastic things as they tear up the carpet or some shit.

Looking for some ideas. One possibility I had in mind was buying a cheap rug or something to throw down where my chair and desk are.

The plastic doesn't tear up carpet, only parts the fibers of the rug.
Using mine now and lifting it up, the holes are easily sealed by rubbing them.

i just put left over carpet under my chair

Back home I have a big plastic 'sheet' with spikes underneath.

At first I was kinda reluctant, but it honestly doesnt ruin the carpet. It just seperates the fibres. Like Naph said, you just literally rub the 'holes' away.

Its worth the purchase, especially if its expensive carpet. Save money in the longrun.

A spare bit of carpet or a cheap rug might work quite well.

Get both the spare piece of rug and the plastic thing. You don't ruin the carpet and it's easier to slide around.

get a bigger chair to keep the smaller one in line.

I have an office swivel chair with wheels over my carpet. Wheels ur good.

If your carpet is at all thick, those plastic sheets will crack and split eventually leading to one day slicing the bottom of your foot open.

Nah it's not a pile carpet at all.

And holy ****, why can't I find any of those cheap plastic things. All the ones I see for sale that look cheap are like 100-200 ****ing bucks.

You're lucky you don't have to talk to him on AIM all the time.

I have the said spikey mat. It doesn't do anything besides squishify the carpet for a while. I never had it removed for long though, just for vacuuming purposes so I couldn't tell you the real long term effects (designated computer area).

I really like these no frills, pragmatic threads. At least it's too boring to post ****ing chains in.

I just wanted to post that, so I have no real advice. But how about just using leftover carpet, like someone said. Or if you have none, even buying a few yards of new carpet must surely be cheaper than some $100 mat, plus you could maybe choose a style which matches your existing carpet (that's if you could get a warehouse to cut you something that small). Or maybe ask a big carpet place if they have any leftover cuttings and offer to pay?

Those plastic things are awful. I had one to "protect" my carpet in my last apartment, and it cost me 180 bucks out of my security deposit when I left. The carpet was kinda torn up, but it also left a big square discolored area when I picked it up. That was after it was used for over two years without ever picking it up though, so that may have had something to do with it lol.

Nah it's not a pile carpet at all.

And holy ****, why can't I find any of those cheap plastic things. All the ones I see for sale that look cheap are like 100-200 ****ing bucks.

I got mine from officemax or office depot or whatever for like $20-$30 i think. You have to look carefully, because most of them are more expensive, like $70-$100+, but there should be an "economy" version, which as been working fine for me.

I've had my plastic mat thing on my floor since like... Some time around when we moved in. It's been here for a good decade or so, I've picked up only a few times way long ago. It's cracking/chipping away near the middle, and I need a new one.

We don't use any kind of mats or rugs over the carpet, we've used office chairs on this carpet in front of this desk for about 10 years now, with absolutely no visible difference between the area in front of the desk and the rest of the carpet in the room.

I was checking out some office chair mats and even the plastic ones are in the price range of 100+ bucks, the others being 200+ bucks. Absolutely ridiculous.
Dude you can't be cheap about those sorts of things or you will end up with ripped up carpet- the cost of replacement far exceeding those amounts.

I've heard, I think from some members on these forums, bad things about those spikey plastic things as they tear up the carpet or some shit.
Never heard of this

Looking for some ideas. One possibility I had in mind was buying a cheap rug or something to throw down where my chair and desk are.

This will work too but it will be irritating because the chair will get stuck in that rug and bunch up. With the plastic you can easily roll back and forth and it doesnt look bad at all.

lol put sumthin on the floor that actually destroys the carpet instead of protecting it that would be funny ok lololololol :|

Back