The iPad???

Just.. go get a laptop? For the same price and you can also play video games?

A laptop is only really feasible when sitting at a table/desk. I'll play the casual type games that come with the iPad, if I want something meatier I'll use my PC or console.

Or an iPod so you can do the exact same thing and carry it in your pocket.

I have an iPhone, and I do use it for the purposes I mentioned. I'd like a bigger screen.

Get a laptop., it's probably about the same price and it can do so much more (like play flash games and generally browse without a terrible browser) (safari)

A laptop is only really feasible when sitting at a table/desk. I'll play the casual type games that come with the iPad, if I want something meatier I'll use my PC or console.

Have you had a laptop? I use it all the time on my bed while lying down. In fact, I never use it on my desk.

[picardfacepalm.jpeg]

Cool story bro.

Get a laptop., it's probably about the same price and it can do so much more (like play flash games and generally browse without a terrible browser) (safari)

I'm not interested in a laptop, I have a great PC for @ home, and my iPhone for on the road. I'm not looking to replace my computer, I'm looking for a device to consume media. I haven't been interested in flash games since I was 14.

Have you had a laptop? I use it all the time on my bed while lying down. In fact, I never use it on my desk.

You must illustrate this for me, please.

Illustrate how an iPad would be easier in bed than a laptop.

14sm5w3.jpg

Have fun holding your ipad while laying down. I'm sure your arms won't get tired.

Oh god, iPhone in bed is bad enough, my arms kill me at the end of it. iPad is gonna murder you. How much are you paying for the iPad?

Laptop only works as portrayed in your lovely image.
And you have some issue with a seated position?

It's not like you're going to be able to -

I can hold the iPad in any position.
But you won't be able to use it. You have to hold it or lay it against something. If watching movies, you'll have better luck (if you can stand watching movies laying on your side, and it doesn't fall behind the bed or someshit), but it takes two hands to hold it comfortably (because holding a weighted object in front of you for long periods of time is a drag), and at least one to even browse the internet clumsily and slowly, navigating/typing with one hand. You'll have to illustrate how you can use it in any position, please.

I have experience with using my DS in bed. That's where I'm speaking from. Like Alex and Virus are saying, it's not as easy as you'd like to imagine.

When using my DS in bed I usually prop myself up on my pillow with my elbow and set the DS down on the pillow with one hand free to use the touchscreen for a picross game I play. It's not very comfortable but I don't play for long.

If I'm really tired I'll lay down and I have to use the DS sideways by holding it with one hand and propping it on its side against the bed. Again, not very easy to use.

The iPad is even large and thus less weildly.

I have experience with using my DS in bed. That's where I'm speaking from. Like Alex and Virus are saying, it's not as easy as you'd like to imagine.

When using my DS in bed I usually prop myself up on my pillow with my elbow and set the DS down on the pillow with one hand free to use the touchscreen for a picross game I play. It's not very comfortable but I don't play for long.

If I'm really tired I'll lay down and I have to use the DS sideways by holding it with one hand and propping it on its side against the bed. Again, not very easy to use.

Indeed, Devin.
The iPad is really quite unworldly large, and with its price ($400+, isn't it?)it just seems more practical to get a decent $1000 laptop to watch movies on, play games, and that stuff.

No, I won't be getting one. Although they are handy and easier to boot/carry around than a laptop, it's a ridiculous price for something that doesn't even have flash.

And you have some issue with a seated position?

Yes, I do.

If I wanted to sit, I'd use my computer.

But you won't be able to use it. You have to hold it or lay it against something. If watching movies, you'll have better luck (if you can stand watching movies laying on your side

I agree, and I guess I should have mentioned that earlier. I'll be on my side with it propped against my arm or a pillow or something. As for typing slowly/clumsily, practice makes perfect.

That's your personal experience, I've been able to use my DS for hours on end in bed without any discomfort.

Indeed, Devin.
The iPad is really quite unworldly large, and with its price ($400+, isn't it?)it just seems more practical to get a decent $1000 laptop to watch movies on, play games, and that stuff.

Maybe practical for you, but not for me. As I said above, I'm not looking to replace my computer. It doesn't need to play Crysis, and I'm not going to be photoshopping anything.

No, I won't be getting one. Although they are handy and easier to boot/carry around than a laptop, it's a ridiculous price for something that doesn't even have flash.

The dedicated YouTube app and the App Store (for games) pretty much covers anything that I would need flash for. What else is there?

ipadlc.jpg

Who the fuck is going to watch movies like this? How is that shit not hugely uncomfortable? Don't you people have a big 40" TV or something? That, you know, doesn't require you to hold it for the entire fucking length of the movie? It's kind of sad that in the home media department, the niche it's trying to fill, it's beaten out by a laptop, which you can just rest on your lap, or on your belly when in bed. The only position that seems viable to watch movies on an iPad is a sort of semi-fetal position where you prop your knees all the way up, resting it on your thighs.

I was given two months, but I still don't get when I would use this thing. Don't get me wrong, it looks like a good device with good software, but I really can't think of a single non-contrived situation where I would use this. Well, perhaps if I ever want to combine building upper-body strength and watching movies.

Ipad- for people who want to feel like they are living in the future.

You must illustrate this for me, please.

I lie down on my stomach while the laptop is set down on my bed in front of me. (I don't often do this as it overheats FAST.)

Like Vegeta drew. And sometimes I sit cross-legged on my bed with a console controller in hand while the laptop is sitting next to me as I play console gaems.

Who the fuck is going to watch movies like this? How is that shit not hugely uncomfortable? Don't you people have a big 40" TV or something? That, you know, doesn't require you to hold it for the entire fucking length of the movie? It's kind of sad that in the home media department, the niche it's trying to fill, it's beaten out by a laptop, which you can just rest on your lap, or on your belly when in bed. The only position that seems viable to watch movies on an iPad is a sort of semi-fetal position where you prop your knees all the way up, resting it on your thighs.
Gentlment i give you the i-Lap-Stand.
6971.jpg

An additional addon for the iPad for ONLY $199.99.

i-Lap-Stand.
Oh god HAHA

Doesn't that sorta defeat the purpose? Isn't that basically the same position you would set a LAPtop?

Needs some sort of tube you stick one end in your nostrils and the other end into your butthole.

Oh god HAHA

Doesn't that sorta defeat the purpose? Isn't that basically the same position you would set a LAPtop?

Needs some sort of tube you stick one end in your nostrils and the other end into your butthole.

IPad itself defeats it's own purpose.

I refuse to listen to reason blah

Go directly to Starbucks. Do not use logic. Do not save $170.

In all seriousness, you said you were going to use the iPad to read books right? You really should consider the Pixel Qi version of the Adam. Though not yet perfected, this technology is incredible. You can use it as a normal LCD when browsing the web or movies, then switch over to E-ink mode for e-books. Much, MUCH easier on the eyes, and extends the battery life to an insane 160 hours on the Adam. Why Apple passed up this tech is beyond me.

Go directly to Starbucks. Do not use logic. Do not save $170.

It isn't about specs, it's about software. Nobody wants a PC crammed into a tablet, we have those, and they suck.

The Adam demo shows nothing compelling.

The Pixel QI stuff definitely is interesting, but when is it coming out?

It isn't about specs, it's about software. Nobody wants a PC crammed into a tablet, we have those, and they suck.

The Adam demo shows nothing compelling.

The Pixel QI stuff definitely is interesting, but when is it coming out?

As far as software, the Adam will support a custom version of Android, Chromium and Ubuntu OS's. It will llikely be compatible with both the android market and adobe air, giving it access to apps from both markets. The normal touchscreen version is scheduled for June/July with the Pixel Qi version following it by a month or two.

I think 6three has made his mind up. No use trying to talk him out of it. It's his choice, so he can do what he wants. Though at first, I thought he was trolling, like the other thread.

As far as software, the Adam will support a custom version of Android, Chromium and Ubuntu OS's. It will llikely be compatible with both the android market and adobe air, giving it access to apps from both markets. The normal touchscreen version is scheduled for June/July with the Pixel Qi version following it by a month or two.

Cool, support for 3 OS's that I'm not interested in. I'm not looking for choice, open source is just not a priority. That's great that it might have access to air/android market, but that doesn't compare to what the App Store offers at this time.

I think 6three has made his mind up. No use trying to talk him out of it. It's his choice, so he can do what he wants. Though at first, I thought he was trolling, like the other thread.

Thanks.

Guys, I'm not trying to sell you the iPad. Its benefits greatly outnumber the cons. For me it's a good investment and I see the value in it. If you don't, cool, it's not for everyone, and it doesn't have to be.

Just the majority.

5TMZD.jpg

Guys, I'm not trying to sell you the iPad. Its benefits greatly outnumber the cons. For me it's a good investment and I see the value in it. If you don't, cool, it's not for everyone, and it doesn't have to be.

What are the benefits over a laptop? How many will you utilize?

For me, I am interested in tablets. I think eventually everyones going to have one. They'll replace laptops, notepads, and paper books. Schools will see the most use from them, since instead of 50 pounds of books, notebooks, pages of looseleaf printed assignments etc, you'll have a tablet. Thats pretty cool I think, and a logical next step. iPad is a piece of shit that wont function right for any of those purposes, but someone will come out with a better one.

Personally, I want one that can run photoshop, so I can draw/paint/sculpt more easily, and wherever I am when the inspiration hits me.

I definitely can't justify the price right now, but I'd definitely like to have one. I love to curl up on the couch and read books and magazines - but I can't do that with the internet. Not the curling up part, anyway. I think the iPad would let me read the internet like a magazine. I know that sounds trivial, but it would really just hit the spot for me.

I don't know about you guys but when I'm laying in bed it means I'm trying to ****ing sleep, in regards to the iPad VS Laptop on a bed argument.

IMHO the iPad looks good (like pretty much any recent Apple product), but that seems to be the best thing about it. It seems to be a device that you'll use for a total of maybe 20 minutes a day - to note something down, watch a video clip, show someone some pictures. That's OK, but for 400$ - not really.

If you enjoy lying in your bed alot, apart from the time when you're sleeping, AND are comfortable with reading/watching stuff on your side, then the iPad may have more benefits for you and you'll use it more than for those 20 minutes a day. Personally I prefer to sit down and (optionally) put my legs on something when I'm watching a movie or reading a book.

So 6Three, I think you might be disappointed with your purchase, or at least feel you payed too much. But it seems you put some thought into it, so I hope you're happy with it in the end; cause it doesn't really matter what others think, as long as you're satisfied with it.

I still think that for most people the iPad is overpriced for what it offers, though.

I find it ridiculous how all of the ****ing media is always in a ****ing furor over the latest apple product release. It's ridiculous. Apple doesn't even have to pay them for them to fawn all over it and sell their product.

Seeing news presenters lavishing praise over products not even released is a joke.

Obviously. Doesn't stop the pigeons from shelling out though. Gotta admit Jobs knows what he's doing.

What are the benefits over a laptop? How many will you utilize?

For me, I am interested in tablets. I think eventually everyones going to have one. They'll replace laptops, notepads, and paper books. Schools will see the most use from them, since instead of 50 pounds of books, notebooks, pages of looseleaf printed assignments etc, you'll have a tablet. Thats pretty cool I think, and a logical next step. iPad is a piece of shit that wont function right for any of those purposes, but someone will come out with a better one.

Personally, I want one that can run photoshop, so I can draw/paint/sculpt more easily, and wherever I am when the inspiration hits me.
I agree with this totally and this. The iPad just seems so limited. It's a giant iPod. Something the same size and shape with a proper OS would be great. A stylus would be nice too.

I find it ridiculous how all of the ****ing media is always in a ****ing furor over the latest apple product release. It's ridiculous. Apple doesn't even have to pay them for them to fawn all over it and sell their product.

Seeing news presenters lavishing praise over products not even released is a joke.

welcome to the apple marketing department

Back