Valve Hopes PS3 Steamworks Extends Beyond Portal 2

DigiQ8

Tank
Reaction score
<div align="center"></div>

[br]With Portal 2 being the first PS3 title to use Steamworks, Valve's Doug Lombardi hinted in an interview with ARS Technica that more titles could benefit from the service on PlayStation 3 at some point in the future.

We are hoping other titles will benefit from the Steamworks tools and services we've created for Portal 2 PS3, but we don't have anything to announce today.

I can see Valve bringing the Left 4 Dead series to the PlayStation 3 with cross-platform multiplayer and Steam Play.

I wish my PS3 had that decal on it.

It would be pretty lame if nobody took advantage of this capability. The only way I see this not taking off is if Valve charges developers too much for using Steamworks.

Or maybe Microsoft doing something to **** it over.

I wouldn't be too surprised if all future PS3 games switched to digital distribution to prevent piracy(with the leaked key).

I can see Valve bringing the Left 4 Dead series to the PlayStation 3 with cross-platform multiplayer and Steam Play.

I sincerely hope so, TF2 as well would be amazing.

The best way for Microsoft to counteract this would be to offer similar or a better deal.

However with the way it handled Kinect and casual gaming, I don't think market research is a strong point of theirs.

It would be pretty lame if nobody took advantage of this capability. The only way I see this not taking off is if Valve charges developers too much for using Steamworks.
I believe it's currently free.

Edit: Yes it is.

I'll be the first to mention that while Portal 2, as a puzzle game, is perfectly acceptable to play cross-platform, a true FPS such as Left 4 Dead would make the gamepad/K+M divide blatantly evident.

I think L4D would be ok with cross platform play. Aim doesn't really come into it too much with L4D since it's just a horde of zombies in front of you. You spray, they die. Obviously PC players will have an advantage in vs mode but L4D wouldn't be too hard on a console I feel.

FPS games which require accuracy on the other hand, like Counter-Strike: Source and Battlefield, would see console players getting raped by PC players.

Back