What age do you think is suitable for driving a car? 16 or 18?

What age should people be allowed to drive a car?

Votes: 10 15.4%

Votes: 14 21.5%

Votes: 40 61.5%
  • I don't care!

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

Ravioli

Microboner
Reaction score
Well, what do you think? I live in europe so here its 18 and im very happy with it. As some of you know, im going to an American school and everyday i have to hear 16 and 17 year olds nag about how they could been driving a car right now (in America you have to be 16). Im GLAD they are not allowed to drive, some of then are just punks and kids, no one would want to put a car in their hands.

I cant imagine how a 16 year old are allowed to drive a car, how on earth is this allowed in America? Im not saying that 16 year olds are to immature but some are. Im 16 and im glad im not allowed to drive, i would probably be dead by now othervise.

Well, your views and thoughts depends on where you live. Im not asking if YOU like to drive when you are 16 year old, im asking if you like it that ALL 16 year olds being allowed to drive. Do you feel safe?

I mean, when im in the backseat of a car when my dad drives the car on a highway in incredible speed i just cant imagine my friend sitting at the steering wheel...its just...freaking me out!

oh sorry, didnt know UK was 17. Thanks for editing the poll

I voted 18 because that was my experience.

I'm probably a safer driver for getting my licence at that age instead of 16.

I agree with Numbers (shock horror) 25 .... but I suspect his justification has something to do with totalitarianism whereas I'm just sick of getting stuck behind some teen who a) doesnt know how to drive or b) thinks he knows how to drive but really doesnt

gtf off the roads you crazy kids

:E Not really. I keep hearing news about some College student wiping out an entire marketplace while drivng.

For some people, even 120 isn't old enough

QFT!

Wait..i just QFT'd a right newbie! :p

I think 17 is ok, but if they changed it to 18 in the UK i wouldn't mind...but that is because i've passed :D

Almost every American car got Automatic transmission, while almost every European car got Manual transmission. It's hell of a lot easier to drive a car without gears, so that's probably why the age limit is so much lower in the States.

The age should be increased to somewhere around 20-22 I think.

Teens are a big part of the problem when it comes to vehicle accidents... and teens are also the number one victims when it comes to accidents, usually involving excess speed I believe. Don't quote me on that though.

They should make the test harder, but you can pass it at 16.
No danger - the UK test is difficult enough these days, theory test and hazard perception (which is only valid for two years) and a very demanding criteria for passing the practical.

The test doesn't have to be any harder. Not to mention the cost.

21 - unless you can demonstrate special need. It's not like anyone needs a car around here.

I think it's lower in the states because they have no public transport, which is incredible. I think 17 is ok for a mature person, bordering on 18 too.

It's 16 and 9 months here on this side of the world, and I think that's fine with me.

I think it's lower in the states because they have no public transport, which is incredible. I think 17 is ok for a mature person, bordering on 18 too.

But the law doesn't work that way - if you're 17, you're 17.

True but i've heard of examiners failing immature morons who obviously wanted to just mess around in cars(despite ability it seemed). Rightly so. You can tell from the persons attitude and style of driving i think. Few of these idiots pass, especially considering how expensive it is!

got my license when i was 16.....drove well, but id say 18

It's 16 here in Canada but I didn't get mine until 18.

17 seems fine though, I think maybe 16 could be too young in many cases.

Considering it takes at least three months from the day you hit the law required age to drive in Canada, and it usually takes longer, it'd be closer to 18 before most get behind the wheel alone anyways if the legal age limit was 17.

True but i've heard of examiners failing immature morons who obviously wanted to just mess around in cars(despite ability it seemed). Rightly so. You can tell from the persons attitude and style of driving i think. Few of these idiots pass, especially considering how expensive it is!

Hmm...I've seen some real moronic 17 year olds with cars. This one guy springs to mind, who seemed to care about nothing but how big, expensive and obnoxious the sound system in his car was. He spent more on that than he did the car.

17, because I'm 17!

Starting soon hopefully.

16 but to a limited amount. Thats when I began. When I turned 18, I was having to do alot of driving with work and college, and it was good to already have 2 years experience behind me so it was one less thing to worry about.

Parents going to help me out, but I have a part-time job which is all disposable income, which will be all of it.

I think 16 is too young. I'd have to say 18. Not all, but a large number of people at the ages of 16-17 aren't mature enough to be driving around in a car.

Actually, that's completely false. If you live near a big city (as I do) there'll be more than enough busses and trains to get you where you need to go. However, the US is a huge place, and most of it is simply too empty for PT to be useful.

But in cities, it's great. Just ask Dreadlord- he barely uses his car.

I learnt to drive as soon as i turned 17, and passed my test about 3 months later... i still think its too young... i'll openly admit when i passed my driving test, i was not ready to be out on the roads on my own!!

im 20 now, and only now do i think im old enough and have enough life experiance to be loose on the roads myself...

dont get me wrong, im a good driver, i've never had an accident never caused any either! not even a little prang, but i feel 17 is a bit young.

Probably 17, because it gives you enough time to train up and pass your test before you goto University.

However I voted 18 because I feel like it.

I'd say 21 at least. I know some 17 year olds are mature and have enough self control to not put other people at risk, but I know a load that aren't mature in the slightest and don't really care/think about the consequences of 'showing off to their mates'.

I'm 17 and have a provisional, I still dont drive too much even though I'd say I'm probably a very good driver compared to sooooooo many people around here. I'm assuming they're all teenagers (or just suck I guess) since they make so many mistakes and stuff, kinda pisses me off, make the age 18+ ffs.

I'd probably say 18 although they really need to implement better training. Maybe they should have to go through a tougher class on driving over a long period of time covering not just how to drive but stressing safety.

A lot of people drive recklessly. You can't rent a car in the states until you are 25.

The driving test was total BS though, the only thing we did was parallel park and go back without crossing the yelow line, yeah, real test.

Yeah. I think I took drivers ed when I was 15. Got my license at 16. I think they have since changed it where I live to a restricted license at that age. Full license at 17. And if you are under 21 or 18 and if you are involved in one moving violation/accident then there is a driver improvement proccess you have to go through. That stuff wasn't in place when I got my license though.

Kids still think of it as freedom and abuse it by driving recklessly all over.

Oh, we do have public transportation but most people ignore it and get a car. lol
If people got more familiar with where it goes and times they might use it but I still doubt it.

All we need is a MUCH tougher driving test. When I took mine all I did was drive in a square, back up 20 feet, and park the car. Yay I passed!

The test really needs to require some skill; I have friends who can't parallel park, and friends that have to use the e-brake to get into 1st on EVERY hill.

In america people feel that driving isn't a privelage, it's a right.

Back