8.8 earthquake hits japan, followed by tsunamis

^ I was waiting for that monitor to come crashing down the entire time, but it survived!

No end to Japan's misery; first the Earthquake, then Tsunami then the explosion at their nuclear plant. What next? Godzilla is going to walk out the water and start attacking Tokyo

Thats one hell of an explosion. Videos are arriving as we speak.

There was absolutely no effect on California.

The cooling water has all evaporated. Nothing to cool, nuclear meltdown will probably ensue. God i hope not.

Another bit of bad news. The nuclear power plant that just exploded is confirmed to have a radiation leak. It's even facing a possible meltdown, but it's not certain how serious the risk of radiation would be or how far it would reach across Japan.

It's been confirmed that the outer housing was destroyed, but that the inner housing is intact, as is the reactor. Also, since the explosion, measured radiation levels in the vicinity have dropped. They're surrounding the affected reactor with seawater next. The reactor itself is toast/useless, but there's little danger of any environmental damage.

"Presumably at a plant like that an explosion is something you'd want to avoid."

Errr, yeah! Usually explosions at Nuclear Power Plants aren't brilliant...

Although it could lead to a new S.T.A.L.K.E.R series. Every cloud and all that.

I've seen some videos of the tsunamis. ****ing scary shit man, really hope the death toll doesn't end up anything like the 2004 quake in Sumatra that cause all of the tsunamis on Boxing day.

He seems like a cool guy. I bet he's neat to have around.

I know all of this has been horrifying, but the radiation leak is really, really scary if true. Does anyone know how close it is to a body of water?

I know all of this has been horrifying, but the radiation leak is really, really scary if true. Does anyone know how close it is to a body of water?

It will be practically on one won't it? Part of the process of a Nuclear Reactor requires a lot of water to cool down the rods and prevent meltdown. Subsequently that's probably the reason for the explosion, the Nuclear material overheating because the cooling systems were damaged.

Yeah, but like, do they put them near the ocean? That's ****ing terrifying if there is a leak near the ocean. I just did a project on Chernobyl, so this is quite terrifying thinking about the possible damage.

I believe the Fukushima power plant is on the coast.

Another bit of bad news. The nuclear power plant that just exploded is confirmed to have a radiation leak. It's even facing a possible meltdown, but it's not certain how serious the risk of radiation would be or how far it would reach across Japan.

I think it is too late for a meltdown to occur, the reactor has been shut down for at least 24 hours now.

I didn't, then I.....did.

they're amazing looking so it cheered me up

After a bit of scouting around, yes, it's not. ****ing wow, this is making my blood boil. I can't even comprehend that level of idiocy.

So is he okay?

yea he mailed

said he was at a convention center, and they were evacuated to a safe area where he and his boss started walking the streets to find some food to eat with no success

they were taken to a hotel later and given some small bits of food that was left

apparently every single store was looted 100% clean for food and supply goods to survive

I'd just like to take this opportunity to congratulate The media on doing an amazing job of making out like this is the end of the world and the next Chernobyl all in one.

There was absolutely no effect on California.

There was dock and boat damage in Santa Cruz and one stupid guy got swept away into the ocean after he decided it would be a good idea to go down to the receding shoreline to snap some pics.

one stupid guy got swept away into the ocean after he decided it would be a good idea to go down to the receding shoreline to snap some pics.

Yeah, I heard this off my dear father. I know it's unpleasant and everything but filming the effects of a Tsunami up close is likely to end in tears.

Back