8.8 earthquake hits japan, followed by tsunamis

Seriously, where do you even begin to recover from this?! I mean physically in reference to this pic, but mentally and emotionally as well. I cannot imagine how the hearts and minds of everyone affected must be strained to the maximum. Trying to wrap your brain around something like this is nearly impossible.
20110312_JAPAN-slide-ZNGB-jumbo.jpg

Yeah, I can't even imagine how you'd begin cleaning something like that up.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/14/us-japan-quake-idUSTRE72A0SS20110314

"There were earlier partial meltdowns of the fuel rods at both the No. 1 and the No. 3 reactors, where the explosions had occurred, and a TEPCO official described the situation in the No. 2 reactor was even worse than in the other units."

Does this mean we've had three partial meltdowns?

How do you have a partial meldown? The fuel rods partially melt through the container? I think they just wanted to use the word meltdown to have a more exciting story.

Yep. 3 partial meltdowns. Prolly not Chernobyl, but probably worse than 3-mile Island.

Imagine: there could be ten thousand bodies in all that mud and rubble, if all the missing persons are presumed dead. This is goddamn horrible.

On another note, the earthquake could be the solution to Japan's 15 years of economics woes. Increased government spending and all that. I suppose some good might come out of this for Japan.

Man, all this destruction makes me want to stop dissing Japan for quite some time. :/ People, human people, are dead in the thousands. It's not something that makes me want to cry, it's not something that makes me really sad - because I can't imagine that thousands of people can die. One photo of a dead body is enough to sicken me, but a photograph of hundreds of dead bodies in body bags is.... just doens't get to me. I suppose I can't comprehend it.

Also I'm glad that I bought that Civil Defense NBC gear when I had the chance. If those reactors do blow, and the winds turn......

StarBob, partial meltdowns are real, it's what the Three Mile Island incident was.

You can read more about them here, http://www.nucleartourist.com/events/part-melt.htm

On another note, a bit off-topic, I've always had an interest in nuclear power and specifically incidents involving it, I may be a bit weird in that regard I guess.

I just wanted to tip people off about a freeware program called the Oakflat Nuclear Reactor Simulator, http://gamtech.com/oakflat.aspx it's a neat little freeware 'simulation' that lets you get a pretty nice layman idea about how some NPPs work.

So a partial meltdown is just the fuel or the immediate containment structure melting. I guess that makes sense. So if I remember right, in a "full" meltdown, the fuel melts through the entire containment strucutre and the ground until it reaches groundwater and then explodes in a giant steamflash spreading toxic water vapor into the area, correct?

I dunno what I did, but I destroyed the entire plant in less than 3 hours.

Its a shame we haven't invented some sort of bubble to put around rogue nuclear material yet. like in Fringe with those domes. I'm just saying it would be sweet to see some high tech science solve this problem and save thousands from a cancerous death. this shit travels around the globe and kills everything from plankton to humans

Eh, any major changes withstanding, exposure to what probably amounts to less radiation than you receive when the dentist x-rays your jaw or that of a flight from the US to Europe, for about 200 people during a disaster which has killed at least 10,000 people doesn't sound like anything that makes you rethink a pro-nuclear position. But yeah, it no doubt will for many people, just like with Three Mile Island, which didn't kill or injure anyone. The toxics released directly into the environment by the earthquake and tsunami (burning oil refineries, toxic materials in containers in the harbors, fuel in the environment from vehicles, disease risks of corpses in the water, etc) are most likely far greater than what this nuclear accident will amount to.

This isn't a nuclear plant just randomly blowing up, please put it in the context of what happened in Japan.

^ If the plant doesn't melt down I would actually think that's an argument FOR nuclear power. But if we get an accident on the level of Chernobyl then it's going to be very hard to support nuclear power, which is something I always believed could save us from dirty coal, gas, and other fossil fuels.

^ If the plant doesn't melt down I would actually think that's an argument FOR nuclear power. But if we get an accident on the level of Chernobyl then it's going to be very hard to support nuclear power, which is something I always believed could save us from dirty coal, gas, and other fossil fuels.

It will only be a Chernobyl if a reactor gets truly exposed to the air and catches fire. A melt down I think would be a better option as long as it doesn't get through the floor.

But this is positive (in a way) for nuclear power, the design is 40 years old, survived one of the largest earth quakes in modern history and the fact that newer designs have improved cooling systems that can still function passively means that nuclear still have a huge role to play in the coming years.

Wait...

Isn't that the Unitologist Chick from Dead Space 2?

I know I may come off as a whiny bitch but I filed a report on that video as hate speech, probably won't do shit but it just pissed me off so much, first YouTube video I've ever filed a report on.

Edit: Doing some more digging it seems she might be a Poe, i.e. she be trollin'.

Well she put a terrific effort into her setup if she be trollin'. I really hate to think that there are actual people out there like this, but my gut tells me she's real. And it makes me weep for humanity.

Okay, if she IS trolling, she is trolling waters no human being should troll.

wow, shes a freak. didn't watch that video till now. someone posted her contact info and address. lol

Dan, I don't think you realise just how often you pass down these judgments yourself. Namely: all the ****ing time.

I was surprised Krynn didn't point out the irony in my post. ;)

Also everybody is getting infuriated by this she-troll, I thought you were guys were better than this - or do I have to unleash Princess Jen from her subterran shackles, far beneath the primordial soups of Munro Basin?

Oh for f**ks sake. If God had any intention of throwing masses of water at anybody it would be at those c*nts as opposed to the Japanese.

I'm reading a book right now about the wars between Carthage and Rome. At several points throughout the book, the author writes about how armies in ancient times would delay battles, alter their strategies, and even depose leaders based on omens like bad weather and unusual conditions. The author scoffed at this behaviour, believing that such foolish behaviour only occurred because the ancient peoples lacked modern reason and science - such absurdity could never occur in a contemporary society. The book I'm reading was written in 1876.

you think that is bad?

lol, I've never seen such a negatively rated video. 59,000+ dislikes versus < 2,000 likes.

Also, its obviously a troll. She has a video where she says WoW lets you summon Demons to overthrow god in the game. That it teaches people how to use magic, that the game is a way for Satan to "throw fireballs at God", etc. She didn't even know the game existed until she overheard some people at a restaurant talking about it, yet she wears a shirt with video game controllers on it in another video.

I'm reading a book right now about the wars between Carthage and Rome. At several points throughout the book, the author writes about how armies in ancient times would delay battles, alter their strategies, and even depose leaders based on omens like bad weather and unusual conditions. The author scoffed at this behaviour, believing that such foolish behaviour only occurred because the ancient peoples lacked modern reason and science - such absurdity could never occur in a contemporary society. The book I'm reading was written in 1876.

Whats the name of the book? I've been looking for a good book on some bit of Roman history.

Danimal said:
I was surprised Krynn didn't point out the irony in my post.

I was going to initially, but I figured you did it on purpose so I went another route so as not to give you the pleasure of thinking you goaded me into something.

I was going to initially, but I figured you did it on purpose so I went another route so as not to give you the pleasure of thinking you goaded me into something.

Yet you still fall for it when I pretend to throw that tennis ball down the street.

lol, I've never seen such a negatively rated video. 59,000+ dislikes versus < 2,000 likes.

Also, its obviously a troll. She has a video where she says WoW lets you summon Demons to overthrow god in the game. That it teaches people how to use magic, that the game is a way for Satan to "throw fireballs at God", etc. She didn't even know the game existed until she overheard some people at a restaurant talking about it, yet she wears a shirt with video game controllers on it in another video.

Except... the kind of ignorance regarding video games and stuff has gone back to tabletop roleplaying games and even earlier with the same rhetoric. Those kind of people do exist... the same people who think rock music channels the devil.

Whats the name of the book? I've been looking for a good book on some bit of Roman history.

"Hannibal" by Jacob Abbot. It's actually about more than just Hannibal though, covering all of the Roman-Carthaginian Wars down to the Carthaginians' bitter last stand and covers the perspectives of the Romans and the Carthaginians. It's pretty good.

If you check out that one then you might also want to look at another one of Jacob Abbot's books, "Julius Caesar", which gives a really interesting glimpse into Roman politics.

You can find both books for free online on Google Books or by just googling for them.

Except... the kind of ignorance regarding video games and stuff has gone back to tabletop roleplaying games and even earlier with the same rhetoric. Those kind of people do exist... the same people who think rock music channels the devil.

Yeah, but people are on a witch hunt (see what I did there?) trying to find this lady in real life. Her personal information is being posted all around and people are raging at her when all she is doing is parodying the kinds of people you mention.

Ooo! A tennis ball!

"Hannibal" by Jacob Abbot. It's actually about more than just Hannibal though, covering all of the Roman-Carthaginian Wars down to the Carthaginians' bitter last stand and covers the perspectives of the Romans and the Carthaginians. It's pretty good.

If you check out that one then you might also want to look at another one of Jacob Abbot's books, "Julius Caesar", which gives a really interesting glimpse into Roman politics.

You can find both books for free online on Google Books or by just googling for them.

Awesome, thanks. I'll look them up.

EDIT: **** YOU DANIMAL YOU DIDNT EVEN THROW ONE

I really wouldn't assume she was a troll so quickly. These people do exist, odds are one of the more ridiculous ones get their hands on a camera. The sheer amount of video she has up is pretty impressive and I have a hard time believing that a straightfaced troll could really get a redeeming amount of satisfaction out of so much effort. She's pretty convincing anyway, and if she's a troll she deserves some respect for commitment, though I see no purpose in it.

"Sorry for the quality. Satan does not want the truth revealed."

****ing lol

So do you guys think this will make it possible for the California govt to decide to shut down/deconstruct one of their old NPPs that are actually built almost right on top of a major fault line?

Back