Breaking Bad - Season 5

JUL3

Space Core
Reaction score

I don't use no stinkin' umbrella.

So apparently Breaking Bad is coming back in like 2 months, possibly even less. That came around fast!

I think it's time for theory rants. Go now.

Oh and also this:

Fan made, but pretty exciting. The creator has made heaps of them too. If you need to get into the 'mood' for BB watch some of his videos!

yeah excited for this, might re-watch all of season 4 in a big block because the way i watched it with my uni pals was incredibly slow. we would watch 2-3 episodes then go on a break for a few weeks, maybe a month or so, because of our work schedules and because of this odd pacing it sort of affected the pacing of the show, so i didn't appreciate season 4 as much as i did the other seasons, which in comparison we stormed through back to back almost.

i am, however, glad that arc is over with and i'm super exciting for where it's going to go next. am i wrong in thinking that the new direction is, basically, pretty unknown at this point, or is that me just not picking up on the last season as much as i should of (see above re: pacing)

i'm presuming the direction is going to be somewhat more geared towards hank getting super involved in continuing the chase as he really didn't seem so convinced about that explosion at the end of season 4. i don't think he thinks that's the end of the thread, and i would be incredibly excited to see him and walter really starting to cross paths. of course, there's also mike, somewhere. gah, feel like i should know more about what's going to develop next. super pissed off i didn't get to enjoy the last season as well as i should. would of been best to just go on solo i guess.

Yeah that's a good idea, season 4 was all about pace I thought. Those final weeks were hectic.

This is what I'm anticipating:
- Walter is now in a position where he can take Gus' place as meth king. In both ABQ and Mexico - because Gus killed Don Eladio and Walter killed Gus, so the whole market is now open. Walter is now in a position to make some serious dough.
- Jesse may find a hole in Walter's scheme involving Brock, thereby turning him against Walt.
- Mike will be interesting - he clearly had developed a strong relationship with Jesse, but that could have just been because Jesse was becoming closer to Gus. Mike strikes me as somewhat of a hired gun of the old-west, he works for the highest bidder. Thus loyalty may easily shift to Walt or Jesse.
- Destroying the super-lab will be Hank's link to Walter, somehow. Someone at the retirement home must have seen Walter. All Hank would need do is check cameras, ask around, something like that. I definitely agree that this is the season (final season!) where Hank finally figures it out. But then he faces the dilemma of 'work vs. family?'
- Someone's gotta die, Skylar or Walt Jr. maybe? I have no evidence but it seems right.

Also, Breaking Bad updated their Facebook this morning to say season 5 begins on July 15th.

I am so unbelievably ****ing excited for this coming back, but I am not pleased about what they're doing with airing it. It starts July 15th, as has been said, and it's going to be a full 16 episode season, the longest they've done yet, but. They're also breaking it up. We're getting 8 episodes this summer, and 8 episodes NEXT summer. It's the last season just ****ing do all of it this summer you assholes.

I am so unbelievably ****ing excited for this coming back, but I am not pleased about what they're doing with airing it. It starts July 15th, as has been said, and it's going to be a full 16 episode season, the longest they've done yet, but. They're also breaking it up. We're getting 8 episodes this summer, and 8 episodes NEXT summer. It's the last season just ****ing do all of it this summer you assholes.

I agree about how shit that is, but then again, I think they may have known it would be split up, and written accordingly. So I'm thinking that episode 8 will end with a major cliffhanger, Hank finding out who Heisenberg is maybe?

The wait sucks, but at least it means Breaking Bad will be around for another year. Half the fun is coming on here and speculating.

I'm quite ticked that their splitting this last season. And actually to me, splitting a season would be delaying the last half a few months, not a whole damn year. That's called season 6.

Yeah, one longer season with a one year split in the middle? That's more like two short seasons.

Which actually makes sense, because so far BB has been made up of two season story arcs. Kind of annoying, but whatever, it will certainly be fantastic. Finally got and watched S4. Superb.

It'll be interesting to see where it goes. They certainly don't need to cook anymore, but that's been true to a lesser degree in the past, but with all this closure-y type stuff having happened it'll be interesting to see how Walter gets back into the game, because he certainly will. Hank will be back in a big way, no doubt. Mike's the most interesting loose end by far. I really have no idea what he'll think of what's happened and his absence from the end was most unsettling.

xog3g.jpg

Official network release:
His transformation from a well-meaning family man into Heisenberg, a ruthless drug kingpin, is almost complete. No longer under the thumb of a mastermind criminal, Walt now assumes the role of one himself, as he and Jesse look to build their own empire. Meanwhile, Skyler struggles with the reality of her husband’s new role and Hank works to wrap up his investigation of Gus’ business.

First promo:

I love the scared look on Saul's face.

Probably because he's realised what a maniac Walt is. Assuming he was involved in Brock's poisoning I bet he feels guilty and is trying to get away from Walt.

-

New media:

3U2ME.jpg

1RK3C.jpg

vHxxt.jpg

ZrYov.jpg

0ZucZ.jpg

A9g4d.jpg

Breaking Bad: The Movie?

"...according to Cranston, Gilligan feels they have "too much story" to fit into one 16-episode final season. This could open the door for a Breaking Bad movie, which isn't a "far-fetched," says Cranston. "I wouldn't mind visiting that possibility," the actor admitted. "If [season 5] doesn't end up in a total apocalypse, who knows? Maybe we could revisit Walter White a year down the road and see where his life has gone." But there's a major caveat: "If he's still alive, that is."

Source: http://www.buddytv.com/articles/breaking-bad/breaking-bad-new-season-5-phot-46143.aspx

-

Mike's Back:

cJGLw.jpg

And so is the bloke that helped them to destroy the RV:
KQgNL.jpg

Also, Skylar's scared:

New promo:

Double post, so this comes up as new:

90 seconds (apparently the first, but unconfirmed) of the first episode 'Live Free or Die'.

Shit, I need this in my life badly. Also glad to see Mike's gonna be staying as a main character, I love that guy. Who else sits in a trailer that gets shot to hell and comes out of it with only a piece of ear missing?

I never liked Mike. He seems like such a flat and uninteresting character. Sure, his anecdote about a day in his former police life was interesting, but his motives hasn't been followed up on or explored at all beyond that point. He has potential to be interesting, but for that he needs a great deal of character development. Can't really understand why he's such a fan favourite.

I never liked Mike. He seems like such a flat and uninteresting character. Sure, his anecdote about a day in his former police life was interesting, but his motives hasn't been followed up on or explored at all beyond that point. He has potential to be interesting, but for that he needs a great deal of character development. Can't really understand why he's such a fan favourite.
I think it's mainly his attitude. Cold, no-nonsense S.O.B. He might be padded out more background-wise in Season 5.

So do you think the German corporation that was behind Gus' operation will play a role this season? Seems like the logical step to take the plot.

So do you think the German corporation that was behind Gus' operation will play a role this season? Seems like the logical step to take the plot.
Either that or someone else as powerful as Gus learns of Walt killing him and he attracts their attention and the danger that comes with it. Killing someone like Gus is going to make Walt look like a huge player in the Meth market but it's also gonna slap an even bigger target on his forehead than he had before from the Cartel and Salamanco family.

Well the second episode is called 'Madrigal' (i.e. that German corporation), so I'd say yes. It seems to me that, as Stylo said, Walt killing Gus will definitely attract attention, certainly from Madrigal - but they need to keep making money. I think a representative from Madrigal will feature, and I assume they'll be very angry. As Mike says in that trailer "Do you know what you've done?"

I think, based on this:
KQgNL.jpg

and this:
J7Sr4.jpg

that Walt, Jessie and Mike are going to build a new Superlab in the guy's car scrapyard, funded by Madrigal.

I think, based on this:
KQgNL.jpg

and this:
J7Sr4.jpg

that Walt, Jessie and Mike are going to build a new Superlab in the guy's car scrapyard, funded by Madrigal.
Now that's some interesting stuff, for sure. Awesome.

It was found here. Check out the rest too.

http://breakinggifs.com/bg/

-

Also, in that new trailer, pause at 0:30

ygPGY.jpg

That's Walter. I think we're going to be treated to another flashback or something.

So do you guys think that Walt was "evil"/"bad" all along and his true nature is just slowly being revealed, or did his evilness develop over the course of the series?

Cranston said that playing Walt has made him realised that there is "darkness" in all of us. That there is potential for what has happened to Walt to happen to people in real life. Or something like that.

Here's a question for you, at point did Walt reach halfway and become more evil than good?
As in, when did he let go of any kind of redemption? I personally think it was when he ran over the two dealers then shot the live one in the head. It had a purpose, but it was simultaneously an act so rash and spontaneous that, I think, Walt then reached his 'point of no return'.

Cranston said that playing Walt has made him realised that there is "darkness" in all of us. That there is potential for what has happened to Walt to happen to people in real life. Or something like that.

Here's a question for you, at point did Walt reach halfway and become more evil than good?
As in, when did he let go of any kind of redemption? I personally think it was when he ran over the two dealers then shot the live one in the head. It had a purpose, but it was simultaneously an act so rash and spontaneous that, I think, Walt then reached his 'point of no return'.
I think it was when he let Jesse's girlfriend choke on her vomit without interfering. It might have been a logical choice, in the sense that she threatened their operation, but it was definitely cold and heartless. For me, it was the most interesting plot point in the series.

I think it was when he let Jesse's girlfriend choke on her vomit without interfering. It might have been a logical choice, in the sense that she threatened their operation, but it was definitely cold and heartless. For me, it was the most interesting plot point in the series.

True, but Jane was so dangerous to Jesse. She meant well, but that "last" hit which killed her was her own idea.
But anyway, no denying Walt's done some messed up stuff to keep himself alive.

I think letting Jane die was the first real step down that road, like The Monkey said. I definitely think that you're right in that she made her own decision, but you can't know how something like that night could change a person. If he saved her life, maybe she could finally realise what she was doing and get help.

I'm not saying it's Walt's responsibility to protect her, but she could make her own decisions and so could Jesse. It's pretty ****ing cold to stand there and watch someone die, even if they've done you wrong. And it felt to me like he let it happen because he wanted to punish Jesse, I felt like that was the first real moment of power corrupting him.

It spiraled so far out of control, and that's what makes this show fantastic. The progression is just so powerful, with Walter going from a dying man with no control over much of anything, wanting to leave his family well-off to where it is now. It's almost unrecognisable from Season 1, and I mean that in the best way.

I think there's an undercurrent of humanity and strain which has occasionally surfaced during Walt's metamorphosis into an evil badass. Best example of this was the episode where Walter Jr. finds him beaten up and bruised, after which Walt goes to pieces and mistakenly calls his son by Jesse's name before falling asleep. Also some of his biggest risks and acts of brutality have been to protect Jesse (I'm thinking of mowing down the dealers), something he has little reason to do besides sentimentality.

In a way his transformation has made him more human and vulnerable at times than he ever was in S1, when it seemed that the only thing hidden under the surface was bitterness. I'm interested to see if they play more on this in S5 and how they're going to balance it against his growing villainousnessnous.

Oh God, tomorrow night is the night.

The reasons listed above are exactly why I love this show.

Newest trailer, with an actually interesting full cut from the episode:

I'm actually quite scared by Mike's faltering voice, holy shit this season is going to be insane.

I'm rewatching season one ATM.

Do we ever find out why Walter left Gretchen and quit the company, prior to the start of the series?

Holy ****ing shit. Breaking Bad is ****ing BACK. That's all I'm going to say.

Wasn't overwhelmed, but still a solid first episode. What did you guys make of the flashforward? Has Walt beat the lung cancer, or just cancelled the chemo?

****ing great first episode. I hope they show more of that flash-forward.

fantastic opening to the season, really really enjoyed it. highlights were obviously the walt, jesse and mike antics - but the more subdued, solemn moments were harrowing as always - esp. saul and walt.

absolutely loved mike's quip about the keys.

The flashforward is so messed up, that's in a year's time. Walt turned 50 at the start of BB, it's been about 1 year since all this started, and now we see him at age 52 with hair, a big beard and a different name? Jesus where is this season going.
Monkey, I think he hasn't beaten his cancer - he gives one of those famous coughs in the parking lot as he moves between cars.

Ted was the highlight of the episode I thought, that moment of shock when you see him. Based on Skylar's reaction I was trying to level the severity of it and had no idea. Then boom.

The lab was very impressive also, so dank and destroyed. I just love how Hank oversees with that knowing look.

Also it seems I was wrong about oldmate from the scrapyard being involved with a new lab. That thing's a magnet.

Also can someone please explain what the writing inside Gus' photo means?

Next weeks' episode promo + sneak peak (Hank's boss, ol' what's-his-name, yackin' about Gus)

Great episode. Highlights one thing I really love about the show, in that Walt and Jesse's plans always have varying degrees of success. Sometimes they outright fail, sometimes they pull it off perfectly, but most of the time their success measures somewhere in-between, like this one where they mess up and have to leave the truck, but succeed in ruining the hard drive, but also unwittingly unveil another clue the police had missed. Its not like other shows where characters run into trouble but everything turns out perfectly at the end, and they always succeed.

I unfortunately missed most of the flash forward but, just saw him walking out and opening the trunk. Thats probably a flash forward to like the last two or three episodes.

also, that scene with hank in the cook lab. man, those camera flashes... the ambiance/atmosphere was spot on.

Agreed. I was a little worried about the whole season-splitting and potential for AMC meddling with the production and writing, but this has allayed my fears. Great episode. I laughed out loud at the final magnet scene, when Walt is like "just a little more..." and goes from slowly inching up the power to immediately jacking it all the way to the max, toppling the truck over.

Back