Breaking Bad - Season 5

More importantly, Skyler tightening the floss around her finger in the teeth-brushing scene with Walt.
I think that was just a display of her hating herself for putting up with (at least partially) what Walt is doing. I really doubt she wants to harm him, because she made it very clear she doesn't want the children to be traumatized. Like she said, the only possible solution is to wait for him to die naturally, because anything else would be too damaging to the kids.

That doesn't mean killing him isn't somewhere in her mind, any reasonable spouse would think about it. Especially managing the money with a crew that could make his death seem cancer related, no matter how it happened. But for now, they're playing by Heisenberg's cards, for obvious reasons.

Oh I realize that obviously she hates him and wishes he was dead, but I just think what would be dominating her conscience right now is self-loathing. Like, you can imagine yourself doing things like that, hurting yourself in small ways when you're angry at yourself. I dunno, I just didn't get the "strangling" vibe at all. She has not exhibited any violent behavior toward him afaik.

Just subterfuge and subtleties, kicking him out of the house, ****ing Ted and making him a liability. She's becoming more assertive and loud as the episodes come by, it's beautifully handled--but like Walt, she's good at planning the macro sense. She's more powerful than we imagine.

She's also behind all the finances. Washing money by washing cars. Watch her character transform as his does.

I loved the scene with Walt returning from his cook to Skyler chain smoking and putting the cigarette out in her own coffee. She's developing a new ego herself.

She's not about to theatrically cut open his jugular like Gus on Vic, but in a distant episode I wouldn't rule out her being responsible for taking his life. Especially in defense of her [their] children.

Skyler doesn't have it in her to kill Walt. That would be doing what she resents Walt for. Being a killer and doing terrible things. She wouldn't be able to do it. That's not to say things won't change, but she's not interested right now in becoming a monster. That's how she sees such actions.

Skyler contracted Saul to force Ted to sign a check against his will, don't forget that. She knew full well that could have ended in disaster. And of course, it did.

She's more than willing to act in a coercive, "evil", way. She's being pushed over an edge here. Of course she has it in her. She's not interested now because like she reiterates, it's a waiting game.

Shades of grey, she'll kill, or die, (probably both) to ensure her kids are in safe custody.

The thread on the Heisenberg Hat that Walt won't stop fiddling with as they discuss Lydia. More importantly, Skyler tightening the floss around her finger in the teeth-brushing scene with Walt. I think she's going to strangle him next year. Of course, she'll die too, some how, and the kids will belong to Marie and Hank.

willing to put money on that the flashforward at the beginning of this season is long after anything related to skyler and walt jr. i don't believe for a second she'll make an attempt on his life - her bedroom breakdown ''i'm a coward'' speaks volumes about her state of mind. not that you need to be rationally thinking to commit homicide, but still, it feels out of her league. she obviously thinks she has a way of going to the cops about the whole ordeal and perhaps offering up the man behind the meth in exchange for her families protection, but she's too scared to. i don't think she'll ruin any chance of that by attempting to murder walt, especially not when she has a strong link the police force by way of hank.

thinking the flossing has anything to do with murder is like thinking the pool scene had anything to do with suicide.

thinking the flossing has anything to do with murder is like thinking the pool scene had anything to do with suicide.

Further substantiate this baseless proclamation please. One shot is focused entirely on symbolism. The other is attributed directly to a motive explained out loud in the same episode.

Further substantiate this baseless proclamation please. One shot is focused entirely on symbolism. The other is attributed directly to a motive explained out loud in the same episode.
I think you missed the point.

I got it, I just think it's rubbish so I took a straightforward approach.

But your post has nothing to do with his point, so I'm pretty sure you're still missing it.

While then imagine the second sentence of my reply doesn't exist.

what's baseless about it? the flossing is, as said, just skyler's frustration. have you never bunched your fist til your nails dig into the palms of your hand? ground your teeth, punched a wall? it's anger, pure and simple. subdued anger.

if anything, the only ''symbolic'' part of these two scenes was skyler in the pool. that was her relief - a lot of people on various forums are thinking it's her approaching suicide, and that was brought up in the show, but why would she even consider suicide when she's fighting so hard for her children? that's what i was getting at, and that part about the pool wasn't necessarily directed at you, merely the train of thought some people believe to be the next direction of the show. one isn't about killing, and the other isn't about suicide. that's what i reckon, anyway.

Okay, I was thinking about the flashforward the other day and there's a problem with this idea that it'll take place a year from this last episode.

Since he has a fake ID it could not be his birthday, but I doubt that because he makes such a point of doing the bacon thing when if it was a made up birthday it might not even occur to him, let alone cause him to make some weird outward expression of it. So it's probably his birthday. This is somewhat supported by the fact that he has a pretty full head of hair, which suggests it's been atleast a few months, even if it isn't his birthday. But this leads to the issue of, how could we possibly actually see these events in this, the final season, when time passes in Breaking Bad at a rate of most of a day at the least and a week at the most (okay, I'm making that up, but I'm fairly sure I remember a few episodes which must've been atleast four or five days. The pilot comes to mind. Anyway, definitely no longer than a week). With twelve episodes left that means the only way it could really happen is with a huge "several months later" timelapse. That's only happened once before, between S2 and S3 and I don't think it was more than a few weeks. So how do they think thay are gonna pull that somewhere in the middle of the final season?

Okay, I was thinking about the flashforward the other day and there's a problem with this idea that it'll take place a year from this last episode.

Since he has a fake ID it could not be his birthday, but I doubt that because he makes such a point of doing the bacon thing when if it was a made up birthday it might not even occur to him, let alone cause him to make some weird outward expression of it. So it's probably his birthday. This is somewhat supported by the fact that he has a pretty full head of hair, which suggests it's been atleast a few months, even if it isn't his birthday. But this leads to the issue of, how could we possibly actually see these events in this, the final season, when time passes in Breaking Bad at a rate of most of a day at the least and a week at the most (okay, I'm making that up, but I'm fairly sure I remember a few episodes which must've been atleast four or five days. The pilot comes to mind. Anyway, definitely no longer than a week). With twelve episodes left that means the only way it could really happen is with a huge "several months later" timelapse. That's only happened once before, between S2 and S3 and I don't think it was more than a few weeks. So how do they think thay are gonna pull that somewhere in the middle of the final season?

They're still building the plot, once it starts it'll speed up. The same thought had occurred to me, but I know it'll make it work.
Probably after episode 8 things will move along hectically, next year. :/

really glad that isn't the actual opening. doesn't seem to fit with the show at all, or at least not to me.

Holy hell! This episode was insanely suspenseful! I don't even know what to think!

He wasn't. They'll kill his pretty boy ass, I hope. Now the whole area
will be under investigation for a missing child.

I haven't been held up in a feeling of suspense this powerful in a long time.

The episode was intense enough with all that suspense, and then they top it off with that ending... jesus.

now that, folks, is an episode of breaking bad. i haven't felt my grip tighten that hard since the first season with tuco and ''the bell''

****. knew the kid would turn up, the whole thing at the beginning felt like the kid in season one who found the gasmask, so i thought it might end with him watching them from afar, or finding something they might of left near the bridge, etc. but no, they did that. ****.

The best part of the episode for me was that the whole time during the train job, which was a significant amount of time, I was actually wondering if they'd pull it off. This is the kind of show where it is completely plausible for shit to go awry, for them to get caught in the act and have to scramble to deal with it. If it were any other show I'd have been bored halfway through that scene because I'd have known for certain that it would be successful because thats how 95% of all TV shows are. Instead I was literally getting more and more anxious as the time went on. Then I relaxed a bit after they were successful, only to be blindsided by shit suddenly going awry. God damnit I love this show.

That was insane! I've been waiting for Breaking Bad to strike back with another episode ending like that!

I wonder what till happen to Todd. Jesse, as one of the most ethical people on the show (which doesn't say a lot, I'll grant you), will obviously be devastated and will probably want Todd dead. I will be fascinated however how Mike, and particularly Walt will feel. Really a watershed moment on the current ethical state of the characters.

EDIT:
On another note, it was really unnecessary to shoot the kid. They could've just said they were out to repair the tracks or something, and the kid wouldn't have had a clue

now that, folks, is an episode of breaking bad. i haven't felt my grip tighten that hard since the first season with tuco and ''the bell''

****. knew the kid would turn up, the whole thing at the beginning felt like the kid in season one who found the gasmask, so i thought it might end with him watching them from afar, or finding something they might of left near the bridge, etc. but no, they did that. ****.

I totally FORGOT about the kid. I was that wrapped up in the suspense, I had no remembrance of the kid until it was just... HOLY SHIT.

Yeah, you know that'll be over now, posters, news coverage, Jesse's gonna see it everywhere. This is exactly what the show needed, a completely unforeseeable but very possible and simple complication which, as Monkey said, will throw every character into moral conflict/crisis.

surely killing todd would be completely counter-productive if we are to think that there will be an investigation into the disappearance of the child (which i imagine there will be), as there is the possibility of the just as much heat coming off of making todd disappear. he is, after all, a citizen working a pest control job.

think a few of you are forgetting a characteristic of mike which was even highlighted in this very episode: absolutely no witnesses. walt is going to be shocked at what was most certainly a shocking turn of events, but let's not forget that he poisoned brock not so long ago for manipulations sake. i think it's going to be an outrage at first as they scramble in the dust trying to figure out what to do - and jesse is going to relish that - but at the end of the day, what todd did, though shitty, was what he had been taught was absolutely necessary.

i would say he was thinking, if anything.

Very amazing episode. I literally didn't move an inch watching that heist scene and it felt almost stressful watching it because you know how it would feel like when doing something crazy like that. Every person can relate to a point in their life when they felt that unrelenting suspense whenever they were doing something wrong and at some point whether you believe it or not there literally are rights and wrongs no matter how many ways you look at instances. Best episode I've seen in TV in a long time. I kinda want to watch it again now

I was talking this over with my brother and we considered some other outcomes. Most forthright being: we don't know if the kid actually died. So there's that. It would be extremely unlikely, but the entire show is littered with moments which require suspended disbelief.

i did, for a second, think that we might cut to a close up of the shattered glass jar with a smeared tarantula splattered all up the inside, but no - that didn't take the bullet.

guess it's possible he's still alive. we'll see.

Idunno, I watched that part again, and there's a pretty clear bullet hole in the back of his jacket that suggests a heart-shot.

I bet the kid is important. Like the son of one of Hank's co-workers or something. Its never just a random person but we'll see

i did, for a second, think that we might cut to a close up of the shattered glass jar with a smeared tarantula splattered all up the inside, but no - that didn't take the bullet.

guess it's possible he's still alive. we'll see.
It's too bad, vile creatures. They all need to die either by bullet or fire. Preferably fire.

I can't see this run of luck lasting much longer. Too many new faces being introduced into their business, while still having to worry about another 9 that are already in jail. And these schemes to either cover their asses or keep the business going are getting too complicated, even though they're quite spectacular to watch.

And the whole Skyler thing, I don't get why he just doesn't move back to his condo. Would solve a big headache and potential problem. Unless of course he might be thinking about killing her, I'd imagine he could come up with some ways to make it not look suspicious.

I just realized an awesome bit of foreshadowing while quoting walt to Raziaar.

When Jesse is trying to stop Mike from going to kill Lydia after he finds out about the bug, and he turns to Walt for support, Walt says:

"The methylamine keeps flowing no matter what. We are not ramping down. We're just getting started. Nothing stops this train."

Totally awesome.

Back