Deus Ex Human Revolution

Sounds good overall, but this really made me sad-

I’ve not mentioned the original DX until this point because I find comparisons pretty unhelpful. But it’s hard not to recall a few of the game’s more esoteric highlights.The books in the game, a combination of technical and fiction literature, were compelling and mostly went over my head as I reached to understand. In DXHR they’re almost entirely technical documents on various aspects of augmentations, whether how they actually work, or discussion over the debates related to them. None made me think.

The conversations in DXHR are wonderfully voiced and impressively acted, and generally very well written. But none made me realise how little I knew about a subject, nor challenged my philosophy on a matter. And yet it felt like, from the atmosphere and attitude of so much of the game, that those creating it certainly could have achieved this. Wonderful stories are told just by hacking into people’s emails and following the threads of conversations from multiple angles. This is a smartly made game. But I fear it’s not actually a smart game. And as much as I may be otherwise determined to not let my memories of an eleven year old game determine my experience and opinion of this one, I wasn’t able to shake that desire to be playing a game that was demonstrably far brainier than me.

I'll be honest, I dont think I read a single book in the original Deus Ex.

bosssss fightsssssssssss

Maybe we'll find the boss fights entertaining and original and maybe they'll fit well into the pace of the game.

From the little I've seen of the boss fight with that big guy Barret, it looks like a standard "shoot until you're out of ammo" type of boss fight. That seems very out of place for a game like this, but we'll see.

Thats how the boss fights were in the original too, if thats how you built your character. Anna Navarre comes to mind, where you could either blast her and hope to soak the damage she deals, or prepare ahead of time and lace the area with proximity mines, and lead her through them, or any of several other ways.

Yeah I am surprised so many people complain about the boss fights, considering they were the exact same in the original Deus Ex. I can think of 3 fights off the top of my head which basically forced you to kill the character with no way around it.

Thats how the boss fights were in the original too, if thats how you built your character.

Mmm, no not really. Both boss fights of the original were unique in that you could basically murder Navarre in cold blood on the plane (when she was still an ally), or you could fight her with weapons later, or you could do some hacking and find out her killphrase. More unique was Gunther Hermann, who's killphrase you only got if you kept Jaime Reyes as an informant at Unatco. Or you could honor Hermann with a jentel menz agreement

If it's better than Walton Simons constantly blinding you with his plasma rifle, I'm fine with that.

That fight pissed me off. I ended up just running at him with the Dragons Tooth and max regen on and swung at him until he died.

Mmm, no not really. Both boss fights of the original were unique in that you could basically murder Navarre in cold blood on the plane (when she was still an ally), or you could fight her with weapons later, or you could do some hacking and find out her killphrase. More unique was Gunther Hermann, who's killphrase you only got if you kept Jaime Reyes as an informant at Unatco. Or you could honor Hermann with a jentel menz agreement

My point was that you could approach a boss fight in a guns blazing fashion if you wanted, but you didn't have to. It would seem to follow suit that the video where thats how it was played, wouldn't be the only way to handle it. I was just trying to prevent people from assuming that what they saw in the video was the only way it could be done.

Heh, I remember thinking Navarre is invincible, at first, and "dying" while fighting her is part of the script. Only later I discovered that you can actually kill her, it's just that she has a shitload of health, so I replayed that section with the outcome I wanted.

Same thing with walking your brother to the door at the hotel; I thought they should've made it more apparent what has to be done if you don't want to lose him.

Dealing with Lebedev was always my favorite moment in the first game. Playing as a total pacifist, your first instinct is to simply talk to him, and not act. But when Anna steps in to kill him, she becomes a genuine threat to your decision making, she kills someone that you actively chose not to, which makes her a more significant threat than any of the terrorists up to that point.

The longer you put off killing her, the less aggressive the act of doing so becomes. The first opportunity has you choose to attack first, (doing so saves Lebedevs life). The second confrontation can be avoided by running away or letting her overpower you, and the final (forced) confrontation, can be dealt with using the killphrase during a conversation. Her death also punctuates your final departure from UNATCO, you have killed an agent, and you can never go back.

I personally forgive the Gunther kill also, because he himself describes it as a consequence for killing Anna, which makes it a direct repercussion to an important event in the plot. That leaves Simons as kind of the odd one out, as he was little more than a husky voiced, plasma throwing doorstop of a villain once you are -forced- to kill him.

So I guess my shameless-fanboy point is that forced-kill encounters don't have to be a bad thing. If they are given enough logical reason to exist and provide something interesting to the story, then I am okay with it.

It remains to be seen how these new boss fights are integrated. If it is true that they are pointless and frustrating, I guess we will just have to grin and bear it.

Although one thing a reviewer mentioned was a little jarring..

..using non lethal methods to bring down a boss, resulted in a cutscene of the enemy falling down dead, riddled with blood splattered bullet holes. I guess Jenson took the 'Mysterious Stranger' perk.

..using non lethal methods to bring down a boss, resulted in a cutscene of the enemy falling down dead, riddled with blood splattered bullet holes. I guess Jenson took the 'Mysterious Stranger' perk.

I guess that means there's a single cutscene, no matter what you choose to do

Wow I really should replay Deus Ex... I have no idea what anyone is talking about now...

Same thing with walking your brother to the door at the hotel; I thought they should've made it more apparent what has to be done if you don't want to lose him.

While there are some technical flaws with the way it was handled (ie. exiting the window even after slaughtering the MIB and UNATCO troops always resulted in Paul's death), I thought it was wonderful that the game didn't telegraph the consequences of your actions in that situation. A game like Mass Effect would spell out the paths in front of you, and you're never really surprised by how the world reacts to your deeds. Deus Ex made it seem like there was a single path to take for most people, which was flee through the window like your brother tells you to do. But it sneakily rewarded players who tried to subvert a typical playthrough. On my second run of the game, I honestly thought that staying to fight would somehow break the game, or that Paul and I would be overwhelmed by sheer numbers or incoming damage to make death a certainty. Imagine how stoked I was to discover I managed to save him and ensure his survival later in the game! There are DX fans who have still only recently discovered that possibility, that and other not-as-they-seem scenarios like Jock's "A BOMB" problem later.

They were great because they encouraged you to be just a little more observant, a little more thoughtful, and to not always leap at the obvious choice. I've only played a little bit into the HR demo and I thought there were a few nods to that kind of experience, but I'm hoping the full game can fully deliver.

The official Deus Ex: Human Revolution clothing line will go on sale tomorrow. Pics here. The trench coat actually looks pretty nice.

While there are some technical flaws with the way it was handled (ie. exiting the window even after slaughtering the MIB and UNATCO troops always resulted in Paul's death), I thought it was wonderful that the game didn't telegraph the consequences of your actions in that situation. A game like Mass Effect would spell out the paths in front of you, and you're never really surprised by how the world reacts to your deeds. Deus Ex made it seem like there was a single path to take for most people, which was flee through the window like your brother tells you to do. But it sneakily rewarded players who tried to subvert a typical playthrough. On my second run of the game, I honestly thought that staying to fight would somehow break the game, or that Paul and I would be overwhelmed by sheer numbers or incoming damage to make death a certainty. Imagine how stoked I was to discover I managed to save him and ensure his survival later in the game! There are DX fans who have still only recently discovered that possibility, that and other not-as-they-seem scenarios like Jock's "A BOMB" problem later.

They were great because they encouraged you to be just a little more observant, a little more thoughtful, and to not always leap at the obvious choice. I've only played a little bit into the HR demo and I thought there were a few nods to that kind of experience, but I'm hoping the full game can fully deliver.

Don't get me wrong, I'll take that kind of approach over getting everything spelled out for you any day, even though a subtle hint would've been welcome.

BTW, I just remembered my experience with the Walter Simmons boss fight. I don't remember exactly, but before the fight with him you're walking somewhere and he comes running to meet you. Well for some reason I had the rocket launcher equipped at that moment, even though I used the pistol almost exclusively. As he was running towards me, I either didn't recognise him immediately and took him for a generic enemy or my finger twitched and I fired a rocket at him which IIRC killed him instantly :LOL: I reloaded the game when I realised what happened, because I wanted to hear what he had to say.

EDIT:
The official Deus Ex: Human Revolution clothing line will go on sale tomorrow. Pics here. The trench coat actually looks pretty nice.

Woah, that trench coat is indeed sweet.

Preordered the Playarts Adam Jensen figure with a $10 off promo code. The great thing is it doesn't ship until September so I can cancel if I decide I didn't like the game enough.

90% chance of ZT buying the trench coat and wearing it for a pic in the photos of yourself thread.

Nonono, the ****ing coat replica doesn't even have the pattern design on the shoulders. Rip off.

Nonono, the ****ing coat replica doesn't even have the pattern design on the shoulders. Rip off.
I expected replica with that floral pattern too... I'll save my money on some cooler, tech-spec jacket.
Jeans are quite strange but interesting, though non-selvedge and probably made in China...I'll for wait for the price and more info.

The coat looks nothing like the coat in the game, but still cool. I want the Play Arts figure.

My shittypoop store probably won't have the augmented edition. Maybe the Gamestop will next door.

Either way dslkgjasdlgkjauleirgj gswalmost out!!

I bought Deus Ex: Icarus Effect because I saw it at Borders and it was getting some good reviews online. There's no way I can read it before the game comes out since I Just started last night. Maybe I should have taken this whole week off.

Is it releasing at midnight? I figure it'll decrypt at like 6pm like shit always does on Steam.

Preordered the 360 version lastnight from Zavvi after reading Lens of Truth's Head2Head. Despatch date is saying the 26th. Ugh, I hope that gets updated. Don't wanna wait until next week to play.

Well, the game's up and working smoothly. If only they didn't release it at 3 ****ing AM...well plenty of time later today.

Game's fantastic. It's like everything I wanted Alpha Protocol to be, and more. Need more time to see if it's really Deus Ex, though.

acepilotf14_1314095512.jpg

I think it's best if I don't get this for now since I just started a new job. ;(

90% chance of ZT buying the trench coat and wearing it for a pic in the photos of yourself thread.

90% chance of ZT buying the trench coat, applying the pattern himself, and wearing it for a pic in the photos of yourself thread.

Fixed ;)

I think it's best if I don't get this for now since I just started a new job. ;(

So you can reward yourself for getting the job by playing some Deus Ex after a day's work, no?

Back