Deus Ex Human Revolution

I got the lung Aug maxed out because I hated how I couldn't sprint very far.

EDIT: Here's my current aug layout, having just re-entered Hengsha.

kJg16.jpg

I lost a lot of XP because I preferred to avoid taking people down because losing an entire energy bar was not cool with me
I still haven't used an item to refill a single energy bar. The only thing I've used energy for so far is takedowns and the one bar recharges so I just keep using that over and over.

I still haven't used an item to refill a single energy bar. The only thing I've used energy for so far is takedowns and the one bar recharges so I just keep using that over and over.

Plus Ace seems to have fast recharge which means it is good to go three seconds or so after a take-down.

Having tons of fun with this game, although I'm a little disgruntled because I accidentaly left
Shang Hai
without doing any sidequests. Stuck on the second boss now mainly because I've spent nearly all my praxis points on stealth and hacking augmentations!

Video of amusement (pretty much spoiler free, but I guess don't watch if you're a really big spoiler freak)

Anybody know if you can buy proenergy stuff from vendors or something? I'm always running out.

LIMB clinics sell it, don't they?

Finished the game yesterday, found the bosses to be infuriating until I broke their AI.

After 40 hours I have finished! Some very good ending options.

Question for anyone who has finished-

What happens if you install the biochip at the LIMB clinic?

Finished the game yesterday, found the bosses to be infuriating until I broke their AI.

Haven't reached the second boss yet. However, I've got some heavy artillery in my inventory (including a god damn minigun), and the armor upgrade, so I think I can handle anything the game can throw at me.

Damn, you rack up a lot of XP when you take your time with the game. ZT, what was your aug setup like at the end? I just got out of Hengsha for the last time, and this is what I'm at. Wonder if I can max out like two more before the end. Already have 45 points total.

N3Knm.jpg

Annoying bug. When I went to get into the Hive club instead of paying I just punched the bouncer in the face (I'm finding a very high reward with my punch people in the face whenever I want to strategy) and walked in. After a few trips around town the bouncer's body has disappeared and I'm not allowed enter through the front door any more. Nothing happens when I press E. I can still leave through the front door but every time I want to get in I have to use the vent.

And seeing as we're posting augs, I'm still just exploring Hengsha:
44505DF11317E6E1C515C3A2F381B3344B93D067

Isn't Eidos supposed to announce some Deus Ex related news tonight? Not sure, just what I heard.

LALALALALLALALALALALALA

I'm totally ignoring the content of this thread, but I started playing this game and despite my general abhorrence for mediocre singleplayer campaigns I've really been enjoying it so far. Could it be a worthy successor? we'll find out.

edit: by that I mean successor's successor.

Damn I never take that proenergy stuff and here I am not able to figure out how to get my 2nd cell recharged.

Damn I never take that proenergy stuff and here I am not able to figure out how to get my 2nd cell recharged.

You have to eat the food. You will only recharge your first cell OR if a cell is half-depleted.

Meh, inventory full already. Is there anywhere to store your stuff? Don't want to just drop/sell everything. But I'm playing non-lethal so don't need all the ammo I'm carrying around.

Meh, inventory full already. Is there anywhere to store your stuff? Don't want to just drop/sell everything. But I'm playing non-lethal so don't need all the ammo I'm carrying around.

Have you upgraded the inventory size? As for storing, I suppose you could take some stuff to Jensen's apartment. Besides that there isn't any special storage space like there was in Far Cry 2 for example.

A friend seemed to think Adam's apartment would be storage friendly, but the amount of time you spend outside of Detroit, I'm not sure whether that'd be helpful even if it's true. Mind you, for the duration of your being in one city, you may as well fling anything you own into the street, since it'll still be there before you jet off elsewhere.

If you don't need the ammo, you're best off selling it to one of the arms dealers. BTW, they need to be conscious for the terminals to be available. I made the mistake of breaking into one guy's bedroom and knocking him out cold.
I also did this in Human Revolution HERP DERP

Seven available? SPEND THOSE SHITS.

Hah. I also hang on to my praxis points waiting for a situation where I'll need a certain ability. I usually have at least 2, just in case I need to get the 5th level hacking or need the one allowing you to control turrets.

But generally I think the praxis points could've been more scarce. I'm in Tay Yong Medical and I'm pretty much equipped to take all possible routes to an objective.

BTW I just took the faster running ability, but I don't really see a difference :?

EDIT: @above - I always have problems deciding what to take with me. I always have my silenced-lasered-extendedammocap-pistol and I also recently bought a crossbow, because it's cool to use, but then again I use a lot of takedowns and some non-lethal means on people I don't feel deserve being killed. The amount of choice is overwhelming in a way and since I guess I'm a bit of a perfectionist while playing this, it's always decisions, decisions on how to resolve a situation in a most effective (and spectacular) manner.

or need the one allowing you to control turrets.

Controling turrets is awesome.

There's this part in the pod hotel mission where you can take control over a turret. I also happened to have all the arm upgrades, so I proceeded to pick up the turret, then lumber forward through the corridors mowing down any opposition. It was hilarious. The turret was so big they couldn't even get a shot at me.

Controling turrets is awesome.

There's this part in the pod hotel mission where you can take control over a turret. I also happened to have all the arm upgrades, so I proceeded to pick up the turret, then lumber forward through the corridors mowing down any opposition. It was hilarious. The turret was so big they couldn't even get a shot at me.

Woah, I thought the turrets are stationary and can't be picked up.

I'm sorry but Jensen > Shepard. Biggest assshole in the galaxy.

Seven available? SPEND THOSE SHITS.
I buy shit when I need it and I'm not sure which ones I want yet damnit! I almost bought a bunch of combat augs just to beat the first boss but I got him without them in the end (used all my bloody stun grenades though).

Big spoiler

I kind of like how Megan is actually sort of the indirect villain of the game and the first Deus Ex since it suggests she had a big part in creating Grey Death at the end after credits. She's not Bob Page tier but she's a sociopath that doesn't give a shit about what she's working on as long as it's cutting edge and as long as she gets to do her science. First it was Sarif and she didn't care that they were creating the Typhoon System, (also probably an affair with David Sarif) then when she was kidnapped she worked on the biochip and enjoyed the work (And was also maybe in a new relationship with Jaron Namir it suggests. Even though this is the same dude that killed Adam!) then she's like sucking Bob Page's dick to work on the Grey Death Virus.

Bitches and Hoes, Adam J, shoulda known what that girl be up 2

Having tons of fun with this game, although I'm a little disgruntled because I accidentaly left
Shang Hai
without doing any sidequests. Stuck on the second boss now mainly because I've spent nearly all my praxis points on stealth and hacking augmentations!

I can't believe you spoilered that. However I did the same thing.

Anyone have any idea why Megan Reed's room was so god damn weird? That freaked me out while I was exploring it.

Also I still don't get the whole LEOS thing, now that some people have finished they can know what I'm talking about. How the hell did you survive falling out of sub orbital space without a parachute? And why do you just end up standing there like nothing happened?

I've also wondered what would happen if you DID get the aug update thing that allowed you to be shut down / go crazy (was easy to see it was a trap) and what would have happened if you actually did let Malik die in her magical self-repairing hovermachine. I assume some other pilot comes along and you get to feel bad. It was actually pretty tough saving her. I couldn't do it from the perch you start on, I had to run down there and draw fire and kill the big guys before they did a lot of damage.

I'd lke to play through again using only brute force tactics and heavy weapons. That might be more challenging than stealth.

Anyone have any idea why Megan Reed's room was so god damn weird? That freaked me out while I was exploring it.

Also I still don't get the whole LEOS thing, now that some people have finished they can know what I'm talking about. How the hell did you survive falling out of sub orbital space without a parachute? And why do you just end up standing there like nothing happened?

I've also wondered what would happen if you DID get the aug update thing that allowed you to be shut down / go crazy (was easy to see it was a trap) and what would have happened if you actually did let Malik die in her magical self-repairing hovermachine. I assume some other pilot comes along and you get to feel bad. It was actually pretty tough saving her. I couldn't do it from the perch you start on, I had to run down there and draw fire and kill the big guys before they did a lot of damage.

The LEOS transition is pretty terrible, I guess you just got out of the pod and swam to the surface, then again it was freezing ****ing water that would kill you for sure. It's a pretty weird part of the game that is under explained as just a way to get to Water World.

Also you lose your augment ability during the last bossfight if you chose the upgrade.

Also I couldnt save Malik no matter what I tried. Later you can find her corpse in a grungy Harvester Medical Lab so they can steal her augmentations. Kind of sad.

Well, finished this afternoon after playing solidly since Sunday evening (what a well-timed and coincidental week off work...).

Definitely the best game I have played in a very long time (caveat to that being I haven't really played any games in a few years, with the exception of both Mass Effects, both Witchers and a couple of others). Absolutely a worthy sequel to Deus Ex, which also happens to be my favourite game of all time. I started playing at about half 6 on Sunday evening, and couldn't stop until about 4 in the morning. Even really good games don't do that to me, I have to stop playing after a couple hours and go do something else for a while. And it really shows up how badly designed some other excellent games are aswell. Mass Effect 2, great as it is, on a gameplay front is just running through one completely linear area after another shooting everything. There's no illusion of choice or freedom there whatsoever, you're just funneled down a single path all the time (within each mission, anyway).

I'm really a fan of the gameplay mechanics, the cover system, the stealth/combat elements etc., are all pretty much spot on and a vast improvement over the original (well you would hope so after 11 years). Rose-tinted glasses aside, the actual gameplay in Deus Ex was pretty crap. Everything else about it was just so amazing it didn't really matter that much. The city areas are suitably expansive as well, and it doesn't feel like you're in various boxes that try and fail to be convincing world locations (hi Invisible War).

Having said that, when you come so close to true greatness, it's really easy to notice certain flaws. The main thing that bothers me is that I think the story development and pacing could have used a lot of work. The first half of the game or so is amazing, but after that it doesn't really go anywhere. Certain parts around the middle of the game are boring and lack direction or focus, and the latter part of the game just rushes towards a conclusion without really developing the concepts fully. I felt the game really, really needed a much stronger second half, with another city to explore and much more of a buildup to the conclusion. And that there wasn't enough interactivity with the characters in the game overall - one of the things that lent real genius to the original game is that you could talk to so many people about anything and everything, it really gave the game a feeling of depth and intricacy. All this is lacking from HR. Also, I found I just didn't care or relate to the story in the same way I did with Deus Ex.

A few otherwise great games have had this problem of late. The Witcher 2 abruptly ends at what you would have thought was the half-way point or so. Kind of spoils the game. Mass Effect is amazing but when you finish it you realise it could have been so much more fleshed out. And Mass Effect 2 doesn't really have much of a story at all, a really bizarrely structured game. The last RPGs I played which felt appropriately paced and structured were the original Witcher and KOTOR.

That being said, it's still an absolutely brilliant game. I'd start replaying it right now, if I didn't have to service my bike and go down the pub. I just can't help but feel that a lot of content has been cut from the game, and that the second half was originally meant to be a lot more expansive than it is. With better pacing and story development, and more attention to the little things, this would certainly be "best game ever" material. Unfortunately it falls a little short of that as it is.

Just beat the game, sadly I did not get the Pacifist achievement most likely because of a bug I wasn't aware of, where if you K.O. two gangmembers before you do a mission where you interact with them the game will later count them as killed when the mission triggers.

Ignoring that, it's a great game and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I felt the game really, really needed a much stronger second half, with another city to explore and much more of a buildup to the conclusion.

The devs thought so too, apparently. They just didn't have the time for it.

In a recent interview with Major Nelson on his podcast, Jonathan Jacques-Belletete, art director for DE:HR, revealed that during the four years of development, the team had to make a large number of cuts to ensure the game would be finished in time. Such sacrifices even included a complete city hub which had to be removed, apparently to Jacques-Belletete's dismay. Although this was removed quite early in development, other cuts were made very late in the process, purely to ensure that deadlines were met. Jacques-Belletete went on to say that if everything had been included, the game would have had 100+ hours gameplay.

Found an awesome little feature. If you're sneaking past an area with laser tripwires and guards, when the guards go through the lasers they automatically shut down even when the guard is unconscious. So you can knock someone out and drag his body along with you through the lasers to pass freely.

Ok I'm after leaving the second hub area (Hengsha, I'll just say it by name as it's been spoiled multiple times already in the thread and it's not really a big deal)
I killed my first people now (not counting the grunts I gunned down pre-augmentation). First thing I did was the brothel sidequests. Saved the girl just by knocking out the three guards then when given the option to kill Chan or just dump drugs in his apartment I was originally going to go with the drugs but after I overheard him talking on the phone I decided to make him my first kill and just threw him off the roof.

For the debt collecting mission for the barman at the Hive I decided to be a nice idiot and paid him 5000 for leaving her off her dept. He also gave me a paraxis after I did which seemed pretty random considering the exchange I just did but ok. Also of note is that if you hack one of the PCs in the Hive you can see an email from a guy the barman previously sent to collect the debt and he says she thinks she used her social interaction aug to convince him to leave her alone. :p

The mission for Malik is probably the funniest part of the game so far. If you try to use the social enhancer augmentation of Malik she gets really pissed off at you and the dialogue with the idiot she puts you in touch with is brilliant. Just ignore the codewords and tell him you want the file and he freaks out. Then he tries to get you to pay and you can just tell him to piss off.

As for the main quest I continued on my no-kill policy until the ambush at the hotel. I gave the hacker a revolver to defend himself and when I saw the attackers had killed all the guards I killed them all. I upgraded my recharge fully so I could do the fatal takedowns faster and then upgraded my inventory fully so I could pick up the heavy rifle and blew the rest of them away with it. I also bought the double-takedown move but that was only after I moved onto the YCM factory.

The mission for Malik is probably the funniest part of the game so far. If you try to use the social enhancer augmentation of Malik she gets really pissed off at you and the dialogue with the idiot she puts you in touch with is brilliant. Just ignore the codewords and tell him you want the file and he freaks out. Then he tries to get you to pay and you can just tell him to piss off.

On Mr. X, I used the something.. something.. death and taxes line, and he got pissed off. I also lol'd at Jensen's: "Sorry, I'm new to this spy thing". And yeah, I also told him to **** off: "A word of advice, if you're trying to extort someone, don't give them what they want before you do..." Hahah.

Since a bunch of you have finished the game now: lets talk about the ending!

In case you missed it: BIG ENDING SPOILERS AHEAD
I chose the self-destruct ending. I didn't want to tamper with the truth in any way so Taggart and Sarif were out. The Darrow ending was appealing but the motivation for it didn't feel right. So I put my trust in humanity which in a way was also acknowledging Jensen's own humanity. Underneath all those augmentations he is still confident of his own reason. Gonna check the other endings out now. Thank god I made a save there.

Found an awesome little feature. If you're sneaking past an area with laser tripwires and guards, when the guards go through the lasers they automatically shut down even when the guard is unconscious. So you can knock someone out and drag his body along with you through the lasers to pass freely.

Thanks for the tip, didn't know that. I remember at least three situations where that is real handy to use.

I killed Mr. X after he threatened me. :p I didn't want any consequences. One less /v/ and/or /b/ user, mission accomplished.

If you cloak you can walk right through lasers.

Back