Franchises you'd like to see successfully rebooted.

BabyHeadCrab

The Freeman
Reaction score
After playing quite a bit of Mortal Kombat and enjoying it thoroughly, I started thinking about other franchises I'd love to see receive proper reboots.

Tenchu
Bushido Blade
Sonic (lol)
Quake
Soldier of Fortune
Jedi Knight
Rainbow Six
Ghost Recon

Fingers crossed for:
Tomb Raider, Deus Ex and Max Payne retakes

Anyone highly anticipating a franchise reboot, or have a particular game or game series they'd like to see a proper update for? I'm not talking a facelift or lame sequel or side project - but a successful return to it's origins with enough new content and features to attract new players. A great example would be the new Mortal Kombat, methinks.

RTCW: Enemy Territory (not crappy Quake Wars)

WORLD WAR TOO GAMES

RTCW: Enemy Territory (not crappy Quake Wars)

WORLD WAR TOO GAMES

Brink looks good. Splash is a good developer, Quake Wars was not bad it was rushed by the publisher and had an awful console ports. The forced Teen rating also made it... not a ****ing Quake or ET game. Ugh.

Syndicate.

Carrier Command (even though BIS are apparently already doing this)

Brink looks good. Splash is a good developer, Quake Wars was not bad it was rushed by the publisher and had an awful console ports. The forced Teen rating also made it... not a ****ing Quake or ET game. Ugh.

they shouldnt have taken it out of World War 2. I'm also worried that Brink might suffer the same fate as people identify more with fps when it's a familiar conflict

Jedi Knight, or even a new Dark Forces style shooter.

Oni <- not really a franchise, but I want another one.

Descent: Freespace

Homeworld

Baldur's Gate

X-Com but not some shitty FPS

Dungeon Keeper

X-wing/TIE fighter

Syndicate
Carmageddon
Empire Earth

Plus I think Bully should have a sequel and the GOG guys get their hands on the big Lucasarts classics.

Blood and NOLF remakes/sequels. God damn it Monolith!

Also a proper reboot of the Quake and Unreal series (especially the later).

My mind springs automaticly to things like X-Com and Syndicate, but the problem is the IPs are owned by companies that will NEVER want to make games like that again, the new X-Com is not attempting to recreate or even pay homage to the original game, its just attempting to squeeze some milage out of an embarrasing brand name left to rot in an upstairs storage room at some backward EA office.

The real hope is that indy developers continue to find value in revisiting old and forgotten genres under new IPs.

Rise of Nations (burn in hell Rise of Legends)
Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, by far the best multiplayer FPS I have ever played. Brink is supposed to be the 'spiritual successor' to this but it's just not the same without NATZEE's and Panzerfausts.
X-Wing Alliance, hell a reboot is not necessary just release the exact same game but with better graphics and sound.

Tie Fighter, Syndicate, Homeworld (potentially happening, but no one knows), and DIE. BY. THE. SWORD.

X-Wing Alliance, hell a reboot is not necessary just release the exact same game but with better graphics and sound.

Agreed. Imo, the whole X-Wing/Tie-Fighter series had the best gameplay ever in space combat games. Add some next-gen graphics and you have terrific games.

Dungeon Keeper, 7.62, Rise of Nations, Sim City, Tyrian.

All of course assuming they don't **** them up.

Didn't we already do this not that long ago?

I think I agreed with someone about Battlezone and added Homeworld, Thief, 10six (done properly), Planetside, and Starsiege. There were probably more or I added some I didn't think about then... it's mostly a dream though... except maybe Homeworld and Planetside.

edit: Yeah a new good Sim City that doesn't make me hate the universe because I fail so hard would be nice... I bet a reboot of Sim Farm would rock some pants off too considering all the Farmville freaks still out there.

Blood and NOLF remakes/sequels. God damn it Monolith!

Also a proper reboot of the Quake and Unreal series (especially the later).

holy shit, forgot to mention NOLF - and NOLF1/2 are two of my favorite games... evar!

Dungeon Keeper
Freespace
Hidden and Dangerous
NOLF
Imperium Galactica
Blood
Constructor
Haegemonia- Legion of Iron

Wolfentstein- Some effort this time

Xcom- I have hope this will be good, but the first trailer with a building collapsing while humanoid enemies swarm it and Im out

Zelda- No real continuity here, but it need to make a gritty version with the name and some elements but strip it of the general layout that has been there since the first one then put it in the hands of a US developer(not saying that Ninty CANT do this but....it assuredly wont).

This.
and also Might and Magic would be awesome, even if they were only remakes with updated graphics.

Syndicate - less of the neon anime bollocks and back to brown trench coats and shotguns.
RTCW - a new engine and a couple of the maps from ET. Job done - multiplayer fps of the decade.
Ecstatica - everytime I play Fable I wish it was Ecstatica.
Outcast - more exploring weird alien planets please.
Bushido Blade - *throws sand in your eyes and kills you in one hit*
Secret of Mana - the best thing SquareSoft ever did - it deserves much more than a bunch of crappy followups.

Kessen (PS2)

I was so impressed by Kessen 1 on the PS2 when it came out, can't believe how long it's been.

Boogerman (Sega MegaDrive)

This game was so awesome, I remember you could get chili powerups that made you shoot fire-farts of doom out of your ass. It might all seem a tad distasteful these days, but I was three when I played it and I loved it so much.

Also, I am too tired to think up more proper responses, besides most of the things I'd really like to see have already been mentioned such as Outcast.

X-Wing/Tie Fighter would be bloody AMAZING...

Battle Toads....

maybe a PSN or XBox Live Arcade game or something. Nothing fancy.

Back