hl2.net "What did you give for christmas?" thread

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
As a counterpoint to the what did you get thread, who here was generous this year? Due to my family doing a secret santa this year (my sister suggested this to save us all money) I only had to buy for my mother and girlfriend.

Mother:
  • A £65 point necklace

Girlfriend:
  • Our Mutual Friend (a very old edition, hard cover with illustrations. To my dismay we discovered after she opened it that it is only volume one of two of the book. Never trust a vendor!)
  • Plants Vs Zombies
  • A paper model of the globe theatre (requires assembly) with some paper models I made myself (photos off internet, photoshoped down to size and printed) for the players.
  • A jar of highlighters that was lying on the kitchen table while I was wrapping the presents.

large_scrooge.jpg

Nothing

haha, nice.

I got my mom the Titanic DVD, but my mom gets everyone the gifts.

Oh, I got my sister three months of Grooveshark VIP

Christmas cheer. And a bowl with a friend on the exact beginning of Christmas. :D

Mother and Father: 3 months spotify premium

Brother and sister: a perfume/aftershave each

what I gave to everyone all together:
book on the goblins from labyrinth
cool hat
twilight movie
sketchbook
some clothes
60 dollars worth of legos
harry potter movie
blanket

I think that's everything. Plan on getting my friend some flannel and the girlfriend some more stuff. YES, AFTER CHRISTMAS

Mother: Went in for half on an laptop, also got her a season of House
Friends: Cigars

Bought my goddaughter and her sister a big dollhouse, got a Cheshire Cat hoodie for one of my cousins, bought my best bro a white leather fedora.

Nothing whatsoever.
Ever since that post Yorick made, I don't believe you.

Dad:
Rosanne Cash - The List CD
Laura Veirs - Year of Meteors CD

Mom:
Once DVD
My offering in many heavy duty chores for the house in the next few weeks
Something from Louisville I need to grab before I leave

Step-mom:
Boggle
Cranium board game

Brother:
Away We Go DVD
Rushmore DVD

Fiance:
Lady Gaga - The Fame Monster CD
I can't say what else! She might see this!

I was pretty lucky this year, because I only ended up spending $10 in cash for all of this (got tons of store credit at Bull Moose for selling tons of old CDs).

Mom:
A really nice address book
A university "mom" sweater
A candle jar

Dad:
Uni sweatpants
Uni banner

That's it for my shopping this year. I didn't end up buying anything for my friends, because money sucks right now and we all made a "no present" agreement this year.

About seventy dollars worth of chocolate from my work - a box of six truffles for my grandparents and a bag of candied ginger peel (I was just waiting for them to open it so I could pounce and eat some)
A box of four for each of my cousins, along with a bag of macaroons with white chocolate and vodka mousse,
and a bar of 85 percent Valrhona chocolate for my dad,
and a bag of the same ginger peel for my mother.

I also purchased 13 beers for my father and individually wrapped them, and I got an awesome print of Michael Jackson on canvas on a wooden frame (that is absolutely hideous) for my mother.

Bought my brother 3 months of Xbox Live Gold and another black wireless controller for his elite that he just got.

So... about 85$... give or take a dollar or two.

A real WWII army helmet; will take TF2 Soldier-esque pic later ;)

A bistro stir-fry pan
Lush gift box x2
Burton jacket
Skullcandy headphones

I made my mum, dad and sister a framed illustration each which they seemed to like. I usually make just cards and buy presents, but this year I decided to get some hand drawn detail drawings done. I'm quite happy with them.

Obviously. I just like calling them Nazi Helmet because it gives them this mystical evil feel to it, as if when you put it on you instantly turn into a bloodthirsty nazi.

Im too imaginative.

1200 x 1200 feet of Amazon rainforest. 100 square feet to each of the 12 children in my family.

My Iguana and I would like to live there if it weren't for the whole malaria and deadly creature everywhere thing. Also no electricity.

Mum: new release of Elbow's Asleep in the Back (2 disks, DVD, includes unreleased and live tracks)
Dad: Blade Trinity extended cut dvd
Brother: Go dvd

I gave my Mother and Father the Slumdog Millionaire DVD. I bought my brother the Assassin's Creed 2 game and I gave $50 to charity.

Obviously. I just like calling them Nazi Helmet because it gives them this mystical evil feel to it, as if when you put it on you instantly turn into a bloodthirsty nazi.

Im too imaginative.
Are you thinking German WWII helmets, or pre-1900 Prussian helmets?

and I got an awesome print of Michael Jackson on canvas on a wooden frame (that is absolutely hideous) for my mother.
Seriously? That sounds hilarious. I'm not sure if I want to know more; I'm afraid it won't be funny. But maybe you show us a photo of it.

I know that, I just don't know whether Ravioli has the right mental image :p

I discovered that everything was freakishly cheap at Trader Joe's, so for my parents and sister, I got boxes of Belgian chocolates, some French truffles, and chocolate-covered hazelnuts. Then I realized my mom would probably be upset that I got them too much chocolate, so I also got them some low-sodium almonds. I would've gotten gifts for my grandmas but my mom already got their stuff for me. Usually I make toys for my cousins' kids too, but no time this year.

1200 x 1200 feet of Amazon rainforest. 100 square feet to each of the 12 children in my family.

My Iguana and I would like to live there if it weren't for the whole malaria and deadly creature everywhere thing. Also no electricity.

Awesome gift. For my graduation, one of my friends bought me one of those cards from the Arbor Day Foundation where they plant a tree for you. One of the most thoughtful gifts I've ever gotten.

I got my parents a 40" Samsung LCD TV, my nephews the usual Legos, books, games, super heroes/action figures, etc. my niece i got her a cook book and coloring book. for my grandma i got her a twist flashlight thats battery-less and some fruit jams. and everyone else just small gifts. i did during the year help my brother move and build his house doing the electric, siding, and moving of stuff from one house to another.

I think you mean German.
Well, he could've meant the SS Gestapo helmets. Those guys weren't with the regular German army.

BTW, My dad has one of those his grandfather lifted for him from Berlin after the war. It has a bullet hole on the forehead and everything, other than that it's in excellent condition.

Also, here's what I posted from the other thread:
An espresso/cappuccino maker and a 25$ Gamestop card.

Um, a sweater, some golf balls, knives, a book about WW2, and a book about health.

Well, he could've meant the SS Gestapo helmets. Those guys weren't with the regular German army.

which are basically german army helmets with the SS transferred to the side, i guess they were coloured black too but army helmets all the side

i know raviolli is an asshole but i don't think he's a nazi

i knew exactly what he meant by ''nazi helmet'', i just find it dumb when people coin german army gear ''nazi [attire]''

Grats! Pics?

You regifted your presents?

(this thread is about what you gave for Christmas)
LOL, ha ha. I should've paid attention.

Here's what I GAVE to my brother-in-law for Christmas: 25$ Gamestop card.

We aren't very imaginative when it comes to presents. :(

So, yeah I sort of did re-gift one my presents, only I got him the same thing rather than giving mine away.

Also, I gave my nephew a copy of Half-Life for the PS2 and he loves it.

I guess it can be counted a super early present, gave my bro KOTOR couple weeks before.

Back