Mass Effect 3

I was kind of hoping they had the end game figured out way back when the first released Mass Effect 1. Not the fine details necessarily, but the overall "this is how we defeat the Reapers" plan.

I read the datamine. This game is going to suck so goddamn hard it isn't even funny. None of your choices from 1 and 2 matter. The ending is a ****ing deus ex machina. Bioware are f*cking terrible.

Also local coop isn't in on consoles, but is planned as a "later feature". Paid dlc. calling it. I won't rest until everyone that isn't a cocksucking Biodrone knows what is going on and they are basically getting a game that is basically Dragon Age 2 all over again, but even worse.

Well, I guess they don't care about the thousands of purchases they'll lose. First they make a lot of fans unhappy and then make it Origin-exclusive.

well there goes the posibility of getting mass effect3

Well, I guess they don't care about the thousands of purchases they'll lose. First they make a lot of fans unhappy and then make it Origin-exclusive.

Because at the end of the day what's really important to real gamers is the digital delivery system Vs the game itself.

Because at the end of the day what's really important to real gamers is the digital delivery system Vs the game itself.

Origin has developed a very negative reputation. The amount of people that play ME3 won't be any smaller - the amount of people who buy the game will be.

Origin has developed a very negative reputation. The amount of people that play ME3 won't be any smaller - the amount of people who buy the game will be.

Steam once had a very poor reputation too (and in some people's eyes, still does). When HL2 came out loads of people hated it. EA have the same problem now - they've spent a fortune on this new system and they need to get it to work, which means they need an incentive for people to use it.

If they haven't fixed the compatiblity problem between Origin and Bullguard then I'm going to have to wait

They're blaming Steam for this:

As I originally posted, please take your complaints that Mass Effect 3 is not available on Steam, to Steam.

I know people are not going to be happy with what I revealed today and I will read the disappointment and anger and frustration and feel bad for it. I know that EA said Origin is not Spyware and people will still insist it is. I will continue to try to get answers to questions that are asked on Origins for those people who still have concerns and want to make informed judgements on Origin and Mass Effect 3.

However, I really do not accept the criticism that WE, BioWare and EA, are wrong for not offering it on Steam. We would like to offer it on Steam. We used to have a good relationship with Steam. The more stores and digital retailers who sell our games, the more customers can buy the games and the money we can make. We are working with digital retailers like Direct2Drive and others so we are not Origin exclusive by any means. Unfortunately, Steam changed their policies and we are currently not able to come to an agreement that allows us to be on Steam. We were on Steam for ME2. We were on Steam for Dragon Age II until we had to remove it, again because Steam changed their policies. We would be on Steam now if their policies allowed us to be there. I do not know if a significant number of fans complaining to Steam that they want Mass Effect 3 to be on Steam will have an effect or not, but it certainly will not hurt. Steam is a great service and I would hope that we will work with them if it becomes possible for us to do so.

As I said, I am reading the thread. I will be taking the questions asked and working to get answers for them. To those who are angry about this and will refuse to buy ME3 as a consequence, I am sorry you feel this way. Hopefully the information I can provide between now and launch, or post launch, will make you change your minds. For those who are still seeking information to make an informed decision, I will continue to work to get answers for you.

Thanks.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/8975536/22

Anyone know what policies he might be referring to?

Origin developed an negative reputation before it launched (even though it already existed as the EADM) because people took a dislike over the fact that BF3 wasn't going to be on Steam. Fact of the matter is it's less obtrusive and does what it needs to.

Anyone know what policies he might be referring to?

Valve basically want a cut of any DLC action for games they sell. Traditionally Bioware have sold their DLC through their own store independent of the game supplier. Personally I don't blame EA from saying FU to Valve because frankly there's an upper limit to how much people will pay for DLC (DX:HR the missing link hardly sold at all aside from when it went on sale at Christmas) and having to cut Valve in for 30% either means pushing up the overall price or talking a bath on it in terms of profitability. DA:O DLC is around the £4-6 range for the standard additional adventure stuff (skins cost less, NPCs cost more) which is judging from a small survey I carried out on RPS is about what people are generally happy to pay out for that sort of thing (a few hours extra game play and some mythology stuff). Add on 30% extra cost to cover the 'Valve tax' and the value proposition starts dropping when your DLC is £5 - 8+, and instead of buying at launch, people will hold out for a franchise sale (just as happened with DX:HR The Missing Link), which means you're making less money than you would of in the first place. Personally I hoovered up a lot of DLC during the Steam Christmas sale, that wouldn't of otherwise ordinarily considered because it was above the £5 mark. Once you get above that it's like 'should I get this DLC or by that Indie game instead?'

What's the matter here? ME3 will be on Origin, so let's buy it through Origin.

Valve basically want a cut of any DLC action for games they sell.

Does Valve get a cut of (for example) Bioshock 2 DLC sold through GFWL? It's not even available on Steam.

Origin developed an negative reputation before it launched (even though it already existed as the EADM) because people took a dislike over the fact that BF3 wasn't going to be on Steam. Fact of the matter is it's less obtrusive and does what it needs to.

Valve basically want a cut of any DLC action for games they sell. Traditionally Bioware have sold their DLC through their own store independent of the game supplier. Personally I don't blame EA from saying FU to Valve because frankly there's an upper limit to how much people will pay for DLC (DX:HR the missing link hardly sold at all aside from when it went on sale at Christmas) and having to cut Valve in for 30% either means pushing up the overall price or talking a bath on it in terms of profitability. DA:O DLC is around the £4-6 range for the standard additional adventure stuff (skins cost less, NPCs cost more) which is judging from a small survey I carried out on RPS is about what people are generally happy to pay out for that sort of thing (a few hours extra game play and some mythology stuff). Add on 30% extra cost to cover the 'Valve tax' and the value proposition starts dropping when your DLC is £5 - 8+, and instead of buying at launch, people will hold out for a franchise sale (just as happened with DX:HR The Missing Link), which means you're making less money than you would of in the first place. Personally I hoovered up a lot of DLC during the Steam Christmas sale, that wouldn't of otherwise ordinarily considered because it was above the £5 mark. Once you get above that it's like 'should I get this DLC or by that Indie game instead?'
It's probably more like EA want you to buy the game through Steam, load up the game, login to Origin in-game, then sell DLC to you through Origin and whatever else they want to do to you.

Anyway, this game will suck and nobody will use Origin.

What's the matter here? ME3 will be on Origin, so let's buy it through Origin.

Why use a mediocre service to buy a mediocre game?

Does Valve get a cut of (for example) Bioshock 2 DLC sold through GFWL? It's not even available on Steam.

Of course not, if it's not available on Steam. If what Kadayi says is right, then knowing ME3 will be popular, Steam wants them to sell their DLC on Steam too, to get a cut. EA wants to sell it on their own terms on Origin or whatever instead to get full profit, and Steam is saying 'no ME3 on steam unless we get to sell DLC too', so EA doesn't want to budge.

tbh I don't see why they wouldn't just sell the DLC on all platforms, less profit or not. They might be getting slightly less from the cut Steam gets, but it's more sales from Steam users, and they're already being massive ****s for selling portions of the game separately anyway.

Seriously, **** EA. Complete assholes. I have to thank Valve for not allowing that type of bullshit. I don't want to buy a new goddamn game and later find out I can't even get something more of it without going through another hoop.

Valve changed their terms over time. Thus why you could get mass effect etc through Steam previously. It principally impacts future games.

Anyway, this game will suck and nobody will use Origin.

LOL, have you been living under a rock or something?

tbh I don't see why they wouldn't just sell the DLC on all platforms, less profit or not. They might be getting slightly less from the cut Steam gets, but it's more sales from Steam users, and they're already being massive ****s for selling portions of the game separately anyway.

DLC does cost money to produce and there's an upper limit to how much people will spend on it. If you go above a certain price point people will be discouraged and hold out for a franchise sale instead. No one I've spoken to seems to buy DLC on Steam at full price from what I can gather either.

Seriously, **** EA. Complete assholes. I have to thank Valve for not allowing that type of bullshit. I don't want to buy a new goddamn game and later find out I can't even get something more of it without going through another hoop.

So let me get this right, you're saying that EA are somehow responsible for Valve being greedy ****s and changing their ToS? Keep drinking the Valve Koolaid there DM.

I play BF3 so I use Origin and I have no complaints.

I barely even feel I use it - I click the icon, autologin and click "play BF3" - the browser pops up, I choose a server, click "join" and the game loads in the background while I browse the net/do whatever for 1-2 minutes, after which I'm taken to the game.

A digital delivery system would have to be seriously broken for me to refrain from buying a game I'm anticipating through it.

Why use a mediocre service to buy a mediocre game?

You mean the series as a whole, or just ME3?

I really liked ME and ME2, and I will probably enjoy ME3 as well (through Origin, which doesn't seem to be very different from steam in terms of functionality). It must suck to have such high standards for games.

Because hamburgers.

3wnAd.jpg

You mean the series as a whole, or just ME3?

I'd say just 3, though while 2 was a good TPS it wasn't really a good rpg either.

Given Bioware's track record thus far, it is not a bad assumption.

So let me get this right, you're saying that EA are somehow responsible for Valve being greedy ****s and changing their ToS? Keep drinking the Valve Koolaid there DM.
Valve changed them for the better. People can get everything they need for a particular game through Steam. If EA doesn't want to make their product more available, that's their problem. It's really just their own greed, even if Valve gets some cut of DLC or whatever, I'd bet EA would still make more money by at least selling through Steam but have their heads so far up their asses they can't even realize that much.

Valve changed them for the better. People can get everything they need for a particular game through Steam. If EA doesn't want to make their product more available, that's their problem. It's really just their own greed, even if Valve gets some cut of DLC or whatever, I'd bet EA would still make more money by at least selling through Steam but have their heads so far up their asses they can't even realize that much.

Did you buy DX:HR DM?

Yep, didn't buy the dlc for it out of disinterest.
What are you getting at anyways?

So EA is greedy because they want to have their own digital distribution system instead of using someone elses (Valve's) :?

No, they'll be using it anyways, but they can't stand to lose a small amount to Steam so they think they'll just get 100% by only having it via Origin (which they will, barring sales lost to people not using Origin).

Really? Having everything on one system is the best? I disagree.

Competition is good, especially with the state of the digital distribution industry as it stands today - Steam practically has a monopoly.

Now, while it may be more profitable to sell the game via Steam as well as Origin initialliy, in the long run it will get more people onto origin which increases the chances of future sales, increasing probable future sales. Same thing Valve did with Steam and CS/HL2.

Yes, ultimately it comes down to greed but thats what companies, even valve, are supposed to do - make money. They spent alot of money on Origin, they don't want to see it fail so they need to be somewhat cutthroat about getting it established.

And as long as they're competing it keeps them from doing anything too crazy - EA can't afford to do anything stupid with steam on the scene and a credible competitor to steam keeps valve on thier toes.

I like your counter there. Real insightful and thought provoking. Try reading the rest of the post, they're not using their brains, they would get more dough with Steam but are too dumb to figure it out as usual.

Sorry I thought my point was kind of implied by the specific part I quoted. The part where you called EA greedy because they weren't okay with Valve wanting more money. Yeah, that part.

If it is not on Steam then I am not getting it. I have the first 2 there. The whole point of these games is the way all your choices flow through them and affect the story so if 3 is NOT released on Steam there will be A LOT of very unhappy customers.

The saves are stored in My Docs, and it doesn't matter what service the game is delivered via the save games will still load into ME3 just fine. So no, there won't be a lot of very unhappy customers.

Sorry I thought my point was kind of implied by the specific part I quoted. The part where you called EA greedy because they weren't okay with Valve wanting more money. Yeah, that part.
And you still don't get the part where they would get more money through Steam + Origin than through Origin alone.

I'm sure there's a considerable number of people who, because of this decision, would:

1) Get it on console instead
2) Not get it at all
3) Get it through less legal means

Unfortunately, all this is likely to mean in the end is EA blaming piracy once again for poor PC sales.
Whatever, I'm kinda tired of this argument, maybe when the game goes for dirt cheap like the others I'll cave and get an Origin copy, pending the spyware rumors are false. DA2 still hasn't come back on Steam so it seems less likely that this would either.

I'm sure there's a considerable number of people who, because of this decision, would:

1) Get it on console instead
2) Not get it at all
3) Get it through less legal means

People are not getting one of the most anticipated games of 2012 because it's not on Steam? Come on. The game will sell like hell, and you know it.

Some PC users have more will than others, mine is unfortunately not of that caliber.
It's just what I've heard anyways, some say they've skipped BF3 over it.

And you still don't get the part where they would get more money through Steam + Origin than through Origin alone.

What does that have to do with anything I said? I'm saying you accusing EA of being "greedy" doesn't make sense under the circumstances. Saying they'll make less money out of this doesn't really help your case. :v

Because they're probably thinking along the same lines they usually do. To get 100% of the profit, sell it through your own means alone. Steam's new TOS apparently means they'll get a cut so lets avoid that.

Back