Mass Effect 3

my overall impression of the demo is that they really haven't achieved the whole 'earth under invasion' thing very well. there's just something about the atmosphere of the setting - the sudden call to conference - that just feels so astute and a part of it might be down to the bland, sterile environment of the earth high command. it's like... a big massive desk in an empty room. perhaps it'll be a little more detailed in the final build? but of course, it makes a perfect setting for a alien entrance what with it's massive windows but it's all a little too coincidental for me. again, perhaps there will be a little more gameplay or narrative before we see shepherd looking down upon the boy playing with his model, but by the way the demo sets things up, it doesn't seem likely.

so is this it? is this the invasion of earth, told right from the very first minutes of the game? some ships come crashing down and we see a glimpse of two downed soldiers who are priority one evacuation importance and a couple of faceless civilians crammed into a dropship - that's the crushing blow? in relative terms, the whole of mass effect 3 looks to be you leaving the planet and continuing a (hopefully) ME1/2 length game that will end in the return to earth as it's rescue; will there even be anything left of the planet after i've spent the good end of twenty four gaming hours exploring planets, getting into arguments and chatting up female aliens? i don't quite understand how they are going to possibly give the games priority importance any urgency when i, knut, want to sit down and fully explore the new content at my own pace. at least with ME2 there was a genuine reason for not rushing into main quest - you had to build up a reliable, strong, trustworthy team before you went seeking destruction.

i can't help but feel, upon departing earth in the normandy at the end of the demo, a real sense of relief at leaving the planet and the opportunity to actually go out and enjoy the rest of the game but obviously that feels quite wrong when the games marketing seems so focused on saving earth. to reference an article posted earlier in the thread - why should i give a shit? earth has played no role in the games until... now. aren't the reavers going to be ****ing finished with this rock in like a weeks time anyway? the size of their fleet and destructive capabilities says as much.

aren't the reavers going to be ****ing finished with this rock in like a weeks time anyway? the size of their fleet and destructive capabilities says as much.

havent played the demo, but i thought the same when i saw the trailer, they send three of the ****in things after that one kid in a field. overkill we think not

havent played the demo, but i thought the same when i saw the trailer, they send three of the ****in things after that one kid in a field. overkill we think not

That kid was just a cloaking device though, didn't you see how she turned into Shepherd and his entire army?

I think they assume at this point that everyone acknowledges that games like this operate on "video game time." That is, no matter how much time you spend doing something else, the situation will still be exactly the same when you come back. Even if it's one NPC waiting in the middle of nowhere for you to activate the next step in his quest, when you get to him 3 weeks later he'll still tell you you're just in the nick of time.

Total meta concept and therefore not really an excuse, but yeah.

**** that, bring back storylines like majoras mask. aren't back to earth in three days? it's gone, you blew it. continue with side quests.

**** that, bring back storylines like majoras mask. aren't back to earth in three days? it's gone, you blew it. continue with side quests.

Or Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall.

I think all quests are timed in that?

I do know you can lose access to the main quest if you fail to be at a certain place at a certain time.

Also both Dead Rising games. I rather wish we had a few more games with a timed system.

yeah dead rising, forgot about that one. is there any confirmation that mass effect 3 might have a similar system? i kind of jumped the gun in presuming there wouldn't be.

Mass Effect 2 did punish you for not rushing to someone's aid immediately, but doing sidequests instead. So maybe there will be some of that here?

Anyway, while it wouldn't make sense with the whole "save the Earth" business, I'd rather not have to rush through the game. Maybe we'll get a mechanic like "oh, you can't get back to Earth atm, because there's umm... a forcefield over it and until we figure out how to take it down, you can do some other stuff - like practice shooting or relax before the big battle or something so that you're combat effective!".

Is anyone else pissed off that in the two years since Mass Effect 2 was released, the PC DLC has never once been discounted? (Correction: there was an unpublicised glitch last month. WTF?). There has been insanely nice discounts on the Xbox-Live version, and PS3 owners had it in the box. PC? Well, every platform receives a different kind of equal attention, so no.

It costs something insane like £20 to buy the non-Cerberus mission packs. I'd like to take my Shepherd on one last pre-ME3 jaunt, but I'm not f***ing stupid. I could buy a new game for those shitty prices, to say nothing of how many discounted titles I could pick up for the same.

I play games to relax and enjoy atmosphere and mood. I have my pace and I don't want to be forced to rush. I'm totally capable of suspending my disbelief to spend days or months on sidequests while the main story line stands waiting for me.

I play games to relax and enjoy atmosphere and mood. I have my pace and I don't want to be forced to rush. I'm totally capable of suspending my disbelief to spend days or months on sidequests while the main story line stands waiting for me.

Same. Because I'm a bit of a completionist by nature I had done all the sidequests in ME2 so didn't lose the crew or any of my companions in the final assault. However I do like to mooch around and I'd of hated it if I got penalized for not having the sense to go straight away when things went tits up.

Yeah, I would really hate something like that. I love going around the galaxy exploring every little detail, going at my own pace. It is pretty silly that the whole universe waits for you, but I don't really care. I have enough deadlines in life; I have no interest in having deadlines in my entertainment.

I sure hope you guys enjoy paying 10 bucks for a story critical character on the day the game releases.

3B0hU.jpg

...which if you bought you still payed extra money for.

A lot of the previews mention doing everything in order to get the best ending. So it would it would be counterproductive to put you on a time limit.

Bioware released a statement saying that it's totally cool for them to release this as day one DLC because;

a) It was developed after the game went gold and isn't even on the disc, bros! That's fair play somehow even though it was obviously planned to be in at launch.

b) It's totally free* with the CE, but that's basically sold out so we wanted an opportunity to [strike]gouge more money out of you saps[/strike] reward our loyal fans with bonus content.

c) People fell for that Back to Karkand shit so we figure it'll be cool.

Okay I got creative with that last one but come on.

I take back what I said about buying it, I can't stomach supporting this kind of bullshit. I'm totally open to non-invasive bonus content and online passes and stuff**, as I realise that studios need/want a way of boosting income to match burgeoning development costs (or just to keep their favourite bricks-n-mortar retailer happy in the face of imminent irrelevance), but splitting up your game at launch to make a few extra bucks is not cool. They can call it "optional" all they like, they know damn well that fans will crave this stuff, just as they know that gamers tend to want as complete an experience as possible, that's why they use these tactics in the first place. And the excuse is always the same: we wanted to reward loyal fans of the franchise with bonus content. Isn't that a slap in the ****ing face? "We appreciate your continued business and we'd like to reward you in the form of you paying us more for a content-complete version of our product." Great. Thanks. I look forward to "rewarding" you in kind with my absence of business in the future.

*not free

**p.s. The game already has all that stuff in ****ing droves.

$60 game + $10 dlc = $70
CE = $80, breakdown = $60 game + $10 dlc = $70 + all the CE stuff for another $10. It's a steal.

Consider for a moment that people don't want "all the CE stuff." Is it still a bargain for them?

Christ, there's a name for this exact phenomena in marketing but it's completely eluding me.

Nope, life just sucks for them, suckers.

Seriously, if you're buying this game day one for that price, why not go for that? You're already willing to spend so much which means you must be a fan of the series. The only people I feel sorry for are those who live in places without CE availability anymore.

Then it's not a problem in the first place for you? New games have always been expensive. I assume if you're simply low on cash, the option remains to get it a couple months down the line for less.

Do you not understand how someone might have an issue with the principle of them charging extra on release?

Never mind, you're obviously just a much more "loyal fan" than me.

It's always been EA's policy to do shit like this. Or is this just the first time you've heard of it?

That's ...... not an argument. That doesn't justify anything they've done or anything you've said.

There's no new information to give...whatever argument is supposedly going on here. They charge for shit they could've included in game, it's unfair, people buy it en mass anyways because MASS EFFECT 3.

Hadbat doesn't want to support them because of it, good for him. Honestly what does this do? The game is already preordered the **** out of everywhere, EA isn't going to miss his business. All it could possibly be for is his own pride. I like the ME series even if I don't give a **** about EA's habits. I'll get to enjoy the game. Maybe EA will do something that crosses the line for the majority of mindless gamers one day and maybe they won't, but apparently that day isn't today.

I don't give a **** about EA's habits. I'll get to enjoy the game. Maybe EA will do something that crosses the line for the majority of mindless gamers one day and maybe they won't, but apparently that day isn't today.

The lack of self-reflection, IT BURNS.

If you've got something to say, then say it. I already said I hated EA but I still find certain games worth a buy no matter who published it.

While I do think DeathMaster's diatribe against Hat is ridiculous and idiotic (standing by your laurels does make a difference, and encourages other folks) if more people even behaved like this in any ethical quandary we'd have a better world. It doesn't matter how small. HOWEVER:

I, of course, concur. Just like I wear my Pumas manufactured by indentured servants in Southeast Asia, use a computer assembled by Taiwanese workers who often struggle to feed their families, and have purchased consumables of questionable ethical and legal backgrounds involving murder and war.

You pick what you consume, are we basically consenting to having these behaviors repeated? Yes, completely. But I also like comfortable clothes, fast computers and the occasional toke. Forum soldiers sure are talkers, only a tiny minority actually attempt change through reasonable communication.

...and if the concern still niggles, if you are audacious enough to actually give a ****--you write the company, don't buy the products which you don't consider the tip-top and speak up about the issues. If anyone models that type of behavior I admire them greatly--even if my ethical battles lay elsewhere.

DEATHMASTER represents a truth about even the most infuriated of consumers here, an honesty that rings through a good deal of people who squeal pretty loudly within the people who fear further monetizing video games. There was a time when any DLC was considered treason and the only just way to continue a franchise was an expansion pack or sequel. Television once upon a time, didn't have pay networks and Microsoft Office shipped with all computers so basic productivity purposes could be met.

Here it's ballsy to take a laxed stance in lieu of the supposed unfairness of launch DLC, to the people who actually generate income and jobs for EA, our gripes sound so unfathomably trite.

Be loud as hell, but it's not appropriate to blame someone for consuming a product he believes is worthwhile, particularly if he already acknowledges the unfairness he may be propagating in the process.

I won't buy Effect 3 because I never cared for the series, but I totally understand the appeal and cannot blame anyone for biting down on the third chapter. I like my pharmaceuticals and cheaply made plastics far too much to make something like this my concern, I think DM feels the same, though his articulation may seem confusing.

I don't think we're blaming him for consuming it as much as we're... addressing his failure to back up his viewpoints in a logical way. Don't get me wrong, it's completely petty and pedantic, but it's not a moral attack.

You do raise good points though, which apply more generally to the internet.

My gripe with this is that Mass Effect 3 isn't been released on steam and they are forcing us to use their spyware infested Origin network. A complete waste of a good series and a good game, because I bought ME1 and 2, but I will have to stop at buying ME3.

My gripe with this is that Mass Effect 3 isn't been released on steam and they are forcing us to use their spyware infested Origin network. A complete waste of a good series and a good game, because I bought ME1 and 2, but I will have to stop at buying ME3.
Steam is just as much spyware as Origin is. Only difference is that Valve can only give out your information to people they have contracts with and EA can give it out to whoever they please.

Edit: With all this talk of DLC I looked up the series on Steam (don't own either of the games) and there is no DLC listed in the store. Do you have to buy it from an in-game shop? I thought that was against the current Steam TOS? (unless it uses Steam as the transaction system) Are games that were released before a certain time immune from that? It actually kind of annoys me that it's not on the Steam storefront because that means it's harder to figure out how much getting the bloody whole game is going to cost me. Seriously, this is why DLC is bullshit. I don't mind content packs for money (or even day-one DLC) but if one has to put in an undue amount of effort just to figure out which content one is getting and how that relates to the whole package it's just tedious and annoying.

I still buy EA products if they look good and/or I want to support the dev.

Never much cared for Bioware games though. That said ME3 never made it onto my radar and all this Day 1 DLC just tells me that I should keep my money and spend it on something worthwhile.

I don't think we're blaming him for consuming it as much as we're... addressing his failure to back up his viewpoints in a logical way. Don't get me wrong, it's completely petty and pedantic, but it's not a moral attack.

You do raise good points though, which apply more generally to the internet.
I agree that you don't understand me. I was mostly just quipping hadbat's bullshit sentences with my own, then you showed up.

Except Badhat's sentences weren't bullshit, only yours were.

Also, I'm cancelling my preorder tonight. Alert the internet. I'd consider buying it during a steam sale in the future, but its not going to be on steam, so whatever, they lost my $60 for making day 1 pay-for dlc, and they lost my $20 for making it essentially Origin exclusive. **** 'em.

I agree that you don't understand me. I was mostly just quipping hadbat's bullshit sentences with my own, then you showed up.

What does any of that even mean?

bhc, you make some good points, but a lot of the things you compare it to are far more intractable situations that can't be solved by a simple consumer response like refusing them business (or at least, won't be). It's totally first world problems and whatever, but it's not that I'm taking issue with the system, it's that I'm taking issue with their specific business model because I'd like for it not to become a more prevalent thing, and therefore one day actually be the system. This is what I'm talking about:

Collective DLC cost for all Mass Effect 3 $870 (though this figure includes hardware tie-ins, which is pretty dumb) United States Dollars. EA actively hates its fans, look at all dat microtrans.

http://www.destructoid.com/it-will-cost-you-around-870-to-get-mass-effect-3-s-dlc-222045.phtml

Now ya'll just gettin' trolled. Railroad Simulator called, it wants its business model back.

Hat Effect 3

(Even though I already linked this in my rant.~)

What bothers me is that EA/Bioware have the balls to pull this shit and then pretend it's anything but straight up profiteering - they say it's for the fans, that they're rewarding us somehow. That's bullshit. If I buy their stuff now, I'm complicit in sending the message that their fans want to be treated this way, and that it's okay for them to gouge us under the pretence of giving us exactly what we want. Regardless of how this turns out, I can't personally stomach that. Not trying to go on a huge moral crusade here, but I'd like to be able to draw the line somewhere, especially if the only thing I'm sacrificing to make a statement is a video game. It's a luxury item, after all, there are much more important things to worry about, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna stand for this shit. Ultimately, I'd like to be able to buy a game ten years down the line (in whatever form that takes) without having to also buy every accompanying piece of content before I can feel like I have a somewhat "complete" version. And if I am forced into that situation, I'd like to at least feel as though I didn't personally pave the way for that to happen by mindlessly consuming this kind of stuff, regardless of my ethics.

Anyway I have way too many ****ing games to get through already. :v

Back