Mass Effect 3

What does any of that even mean?
You make it hard to take you seriously.

What bothers me is that EA/Bioware have the balls to pull this shit and then pretend it's anything but straight up profiteering - they say it's for the fans, that they're rewarding us somehow.
They said on their forum that there was a separate team developing this dlc and the game had gone gold by the time it was completed. I think it's hard to do that without planning it.

They said on their forum that there was a separate team developing this dlc and the game had gone gold by the time it was completed. I think it's hard to do that without planning it.

That's... what I said? I literally cannot comprehend what the **** you are trying to say.

I'm agreeing with you with more info? Christ everyone has a stick up their ass now.

I actually played the demo for myself, finally, and on top of confirming everything I've expressed so far I'm even less impressed than I was before. I really can't understand why this series gets the praise it does. Control-wise, physics-wise, interaction-wise, the game is so utterly detached, and in these terms it literally has not improved in any way since the first entry in the series. It feels like an engine from the pre-GoldSrc era with a DX9 renderer.

Aside from the MP mechanics, the demo is an abomination. I'm thinking the only reason they released that was to promote the MP and otherwise raise hype for the more rabid of its fanbase.

If you think the controls and interaction are the same in ME2 as they are in ME1 then you simply weren't paying attention. The second one was a vast improvement, especially when it came to force powers (or whatever the **** they're called in this series).

simply weren't paying attention...force powers (or whatever the **** they're called in this series).
Funny how when you launch them biotics, they're moving orbs while cpu teammates get instant hits.

I misspoke - the control schematic and UI changed, the shit quality of transferrence from input to game feedback did not.

The thing with the orbs though was that you could control them. You could pull a dude out of cover in whatever direction you needed, rather than straight towards you like in the first game.

Funny how when you launch them biotics, they're moving orbs while cpu teammates get instant hits.

They also use the player's line of sight to determine if an ability hits or not. If your teammate has an angle on some dude in cover, their ability will still hit the piece of cover if you don't have a direct line of sight to them. Huge pain in the ass when you start to notice it.

Game in the UK apparently wont be carrying it, just got an email informing me that my pre-order has been cancelled and I've got a £5 gift voucher to say sorry.

They also use the player's line of sight to determine if an ability hits or not. If your teammate has an angle on some dude in cover, their ability will still hit the piece of cover if you don't have a direct line of sight to them. Huge pain in the ass when you start to notice it.
Indeed, but it'd be nice to have some consistency, even though instant hits are useful. Hell I'd prefer it if there simply weren't any orbs. I don't know the whole lore behind biotics besides that you have to be exposed to eezo before birth, but it could make sense that the abilities move at the speed of light.

Might be for gameplay-balance reasons. I think I read somewhere that Shepard can dish out much more damage that his squad mates.

Bending the orbs around cover is pretty much invaluable, though, and fun! Turning them back into hitscan would just be like having another gun.

My favorite part when I played mass effect was using the orbs. If you change them back it would suck. I loved being able to lift someone 50ft in the air and then slam them to the ground, or fling them off those floating collector platforms.

i am excited. too bad i can't afford this right now.

Game in the UK apparently wont be carrying it, just got an email informing me that my pre-order has been cancelled and I've got a £5 gift voucher to say sorry.

Yeah, I was pre-ordering my copy today and figured their search engine was spazzing out when it couldn't find 'Mass Effect 3'. Its one of many catalogue of errors by Game that suggests they don't deserve me as a customer. First was delaying my pre-order of Space Marine by four days, then their computer system didn't recognise my delivery address when pre-ordering Skyrim and the customer services never responded to the problem, and now this problem. I initially thought it was because it was an Origin Title (as was the problem with some games on Steam), but am I right in thinking its the same problem across all platforms?

Anywho, I went and pre-ordered it at HMV as they have been much more reliable as of late.

I think I pre-ordered the standard edition (I don't think the Collector Edition was available at my store), but I got a free- T-shirt out of it apparently.

This is most relevant to UK peeps, but a lovely little piece here asking why Amazon etc. haven't released the game already in the UK in order to put the final nail in the coffin of Game.

Not played any Mass Effect's at all ( :O ) but I am considering buying the first one and playing through it. Don't know where I will find the time to do that though...

I think it's because they aren't pretty and/or nice enough for them. From what I read, even the best one is pretty damn grim.

They're somewhat reminiscent of Deus Ex 1's endings

Anyways, anybody know which side missions are timed, and which ones aren't? I'm getting all paranoid, and racing around the galaxy trying to do them immediately as they pop up. Some of the humorous ones actually turned out to be pretty damn important.

I think it's because they aren't pretty and/or nice enough for them. From what I read, even the best one is pretty damn grim.

Certainly, and supposedly there's a secret ending (the "best" one) that I didn't get because my EMS wasn't that high. I'm thinking going back to my ME2 save and choose to preserve the collector base, so as to start out with more assets. Also, supposedly, that decision directly impacts what endings are available to you, but according to IGN's breakdown it didn't seem to matter, not sure.

As far as the timed missions are concerned, the bomb mission on Tuchanka is one, if I remember. But, keep in mind that doing priority missions seems to make the game speed up. At least, I noticed after doing priority missions I failed some side-missions. Oh, that Grissom Academy/Cerberus mission is timed also.

Anyway, having beat the game, my impressions are that ME3 is the best of the series, most everything is tied up with the Reaper theme, and it really creates a sense of a believable world, the dire situation doesn't escape you for a moment. I was absorbed into the storytelling much more so than the prior game, partially because of this, but everything felt more focused this time around. The ending was just...surreal and depressing. I enjoyed it in a way. But, I can understand the anger of the majority of the fans. They felt their investment in the series was all for naught. So, in some sense, I empathize with that.

They're somewhat reminiscent of Deus Ex 1's endings

Anyways, anybody know which side missions are timed, and which ones aren't? I'm getting all paranoid, and racing around the galaxy trying to do them immediately as they pop up. Some of the humorous ones actually turned out to be pretty damn important.

I came across this in another forum and it sounds like pretty good advice:

Play the game doing Priority Missions till you get access to the Tuchanka Missions.

Do all side-missions before doing the last Tuchanka priority mission

After completing the side-missions available to that point, continue the Priority missions.

I'd recommend getting your last squad mate first (you should be able to guess who and where),

Than proceed to do the rest of the side-missions.

Finish remaining Priority missions, doing the side-missions first as they pop up.

I posted this in chat, but I'll do it again here and elaborate some more.

My biggest complaint with Mass Effect 3: side-quests. Seriously. What the **** was Bioware thinking. I'm aiming to get just about everything done in ME3, but it is a ****ing strain when you are unable to find anything. It seriously boils down to running around the Citadel every couple of priority missions for half an hour. "Some random **** that you don't remember needs ore for some transport thingy and he's at some location in the Presidium that he wasn't before, but that doesn't matter because we guarantee you won't remember him anyway!"

Now, sure, it'd be easier to just read your journal and pick out the details about the location of the NPC you need to give information or supplies to, right? But, there are like 100 of these NPCs around the Citadel. I can see Bioware's intent to add side-quests in order to add to the game, but this is just chore work. It is completely uninteresting and quite literally the same exact thing every time. So, instead of going through your journal, it's much easier and simple to just to take laps around the Citadel until you've completed all of the current side-quests whilst picking up a batch of more.

Basically, if you want to complete 100% of the game, be prepared to run through every ****ing floor of the Citadel at least 10 times.

The ending definitely shat on the entire series. I thought they were great games and the third was awesome until the last scene. I almost feel cheated.

The ending definitely shat on the entire series. I thought they were great games and the third was awesome until the last scene. I almost feel cheated.

I was so pissed off at these endings, and after some really great space battles too. In my opinion, the game should have ended during the scene where Anderson and Shepard are talking, after killing the Illusive Man. Rather than 'going up this magic lift to bullshit and beyond', the crucible should have just fired (doing what we set out to do), kill all Reapers - then have an epilogue section where, after Shepard is patched up, you can still explore/investigate what the galaxy is like post-reaper invasion. At the very least have a choice of a Paragon and Renegade endings which aren't bullshit and boil down to the same conclusions.

That way, players get a good sense of achievement - by completing what they set out to do, while not feeling cheated in the same way the current 'endings' do. The epilogue scene I mentioned would be the perfect way to allow continued play/DLC to be accessed after the game, while reflecting on all the decisions made during all three games (and ultimately what all three games have been about, Shepard, his journey and his decisions).

Back