Post your latest purchases with pics (NO STOCK IMAGES)

It's an EMX-1 by Korg. A groovebox.
What's a groovebox, you ask?
A self-contained instrument for the production of live, loop-based electronic music with a high degree of user control facilitating improvisation.
A groovebox consists of three integrated elements:
  • one or more sound sources, such as a drum machine, a synthesizer or a sampler
  • a music sequencer
  • a control surface, i.e. a combination of knobs (potentiometer or rotary encoder), sliders and buttons, and display elements (LED and/or LCD)

Bought an Atrix:

XiQ03.jpg

And completed my collection of Medicos SAS JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 3: Starudst Crusaders figures (last packages arrived while I was at work and were waiting on my doorstep; I haven't even taken some of them out of the bubblewrap):

1TV1W.jpg

Polnareff looks hot.
Polnareff is indeed the hotness.

d6a0q.jpg

Also, that Joseph Joestar in my last picture? I broke him. I broke him two minutes out of the package. Was trying to show it off to a friend who was leaving in a sec, didn't read the damn instructions, tried to move his leg and SNAP. Broke his goddamn leg clean off. $55, gone in two minutes. Bought another one that night though. Should be here by week's end. And another friend is fixing the broken one up by inserting a metal rod into the hip and balljoint, so I'll have two Josephs. Think I'll paint him blue like in this picture.

Did get a shot of him though after it broke. Break was clean, so I could still stand him up:

Jp81F.jpg

Also if anyone wants to see what sadness looks like, one of my friends was good enough to take a picture of me the second after he broke. I do have wonderful friends. :LOL:

1UVun.jpg

I HATE those clear stands! The FF Play Arts figures have them and they're bloody hopeless. Looks kinda different to that one so it might be a bit more stable but the whole 'arm' thing just doesn't work.

These stands hold up pretty well, actually. Sometimes the figure might be too heavy in a certain position for the arm to support it, but more often than not they're pretty stable. Depending on how tightly the peg is in the figure's back, as well, you can get some real nice "floating" poses:

Nthjn.jpg

The stand I have is just a wrap around horse shoe on an arm type stand, and it can hold literally NO weight.

The stand I have is just a wrap around horse shoe on an arm type stand, and it can hold literally NO weight.
Yeah, Play Arts stands aren't too good. Could be worse, could be a Medicom stand. Those are the shittiest stands ever. $200+ dollar figures and they give you a rigid pole and a "U" that doesn't even fit properly, secured by a thumbscrew that also doesn't lock into place.

lol @ the herp-de-derp eyes.
Seriously, I got the one Polnareff that slipped by quality assurance. He only really looks good from the side.

Kinda hard to take a picture of the phone when I'm using it to take the picture :p

New Macbook Pro 15"

aXHik.jpg

2.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
4GB SDRAM
750GB SATA 5400 RPM
Radeon HD 6750M 1GB GDDR5

And best of all, Adobe CS5.5 Master Collection (as you can see in my apps screen)

But don't worry guys, it was free once you discount the mandatory tuition hike required to cover the cost!

Just sell that shit and install the suite on your real computer.

Can anyone link me to an article that would thoroughly explain why Macs are prefered among graphic designers?

Says who?

Says the vibe I'm getting. Also in pretty much all the Photoshop/Illustrator tutorials I've seen, a Mac was used. Are you saying it's otherwise?

Anyway, that's not the point. I've heard that Adobe products run slightly faster on Macs, but I wonder if there's more to it and would like to see something more solid, rather than word-of-mouth.

I've always heard they were better for graphic designers as well.

There's no real advantage to mac over PC for graphic design. But then there's no real disadvantage either. Once I get a hang of the OS I'm going to be just as effective with the software as I would on PC (after all it's not like the software itself differs with OS). So really the only debate to be had here is the hardware aspect of the MBP, which honestly impresses me. The new trackpad with all its features are really convenient for web browsing and watching videos, which is stuff that I've always wanted to have a laptop to do while relaxing on the couch or something.

I'm going to be doing all my work with my pc mouse, keyboard, and monitor, so everything else hardware related about the mac is moot for me.

Edit: Oh and being proficient with both mac and PC is going to increase my chances of being hired in the future.

Also if a client is an Apple fanboy you can be like "yeah broski gimme them dimes."

I don't know how Apple people talk is it something like this?

They're preferred because of tradition, image, and artists' general inability to understand anything about computers. Also Apple has always been invested in selling hardware to art/design institutions (and schools in general).

Also if a client is an Apple fanboy you can be like "yeah broski gimme them dimes."

I don't know how Apple people talk is it something like this?
It's about half that, and half caustic joylessness.

I don't understand why anyone would want to buy an Apple computer in the first place. You could buy a Windows computer with much better components, for a fraction of the cost.

Look at this example:
The BEST Macbook, the Pro, starts at $2,499. You get a 7200 RPM 500 GB HD, ATI Radeon 6750M, 2.3 GHz Core i7. This all looks pretty good, right?
(http://www.apple.com/why-mac/compare/notebooks.html)

I went over to Newegg and found a Dell laptop with a better video card (6870M), same Core i7 processor, better hard drive (750GB), same screen size, more ram (8GB vs 4GB), all for $1000 less than the price for the Apple!
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834200295)

This example, clearly shows that Apple fixes their prices because they know Apple fanboys will purchase them regardless of their prices.

I don't understand why anyone would want to buy an Apple computer in the first place. You could buy a Windows computer with much better components, for a fraction of the cost.

Well, maybe, and I'm just pulling this from thin air, people don't buy Windows computers and don't mind spending more money for Apple products might be due to, well, the fact that they prefer Apple computers to Windows computers!

Totally agreed, but it's really irrelevant to my situation. This macbook is part of the school's program. It's also provided with the software at a deep discount. So if I wanted to buy a pc laptop and adobe cs5 myself I'd be spending a shitload more.

There's more to a laptop than it's specs on paper. Actual screen brightness/contrast/color spectrum, port placement, build quality, keyboard/mouse, noise emissions, temperature, actual battery life etc.
No I'm not just defending Apple here, but it's just stupid to compare laptops only based on their specs.

Also Veggie, Bootcamp!

Its straight up culture. Apple marketed their products in such a way that society views them as artistic devices for artistic people. The interface is sleek and minimalized, which is something that appeals to graphic designers' artistic tastes that have been programmed into them from the start of their graphic design major's curriculum. Thats why Apple likes to buy out schools and get fanboys by force-feeding them mac propaganda while they're in college. They're not quite mainstream yet, so they get extra cool points for that.

Basically the reason you guys are getting the "macs are for artists" vibe is because the Apple marketing team is specifically promoting that idea.

No I'm not just defending Apple here, but it's just stupid to compare laptops only based on their specs.

When the specs consist of twice as much ram, a better video card, and half the price, then shit like screen brightness and port placement simply can't overcome the stat comparisons. The primary comparison should always be their specs, because thats where the really significant differences are. The practical impact from differences in the stuff you listed is petty compared to the practical impact from spec differences.

Back