Post your latest purchases with pics (NO STOCK IMAGES)

From an amazing second-hand/antiquarian bookshop on Charing Cross Road:

jDlmQ.jpg

E9WSK.jpg

And from the same shop, Beethoven's Seventh Symphony (my favourite of the nine at the moment):

s3EJ1.jpg

The Asus PA248Q 24" IPS monitor:

Y8EQb.jpg

Ow783.jpg

And the Ducky 9800S with purple/hot pink backlighting:

M8yVm.jpg

Has your xfinity on-demand been working? Mine keeps giving an error recently. Oh and nice keyboard Mr Bandwagon.

Don't worry. He's just jealous. His keyboard squeaks.

Where do you find room to portal of the replicas?

PeEmq.jpg

Hey it's like a purchases and computer set-up post in one picture.

Dell 2412m
Das Model S Silent
Arden Hamlet
Arden Measure for Measure
Rogue Mocha Porter
Map of Chernarus

Yeah I used a flash because I'm goddamn lazy deal with it.

- Samsung Galaxy S3

- Thermaltake Esports MEKA G1 Keyboard

- Half-Life 2 Plush Headcrab (Wanted 1 for 6 years!), finally found one for sale on Ebay. Paid almost triple its' worth, but ***k it, they're rare!

photo.JPG

Black switches huh? How do you like them? I couldn't live with reds.

Pretty good, bit loud, but I believe black are the quietest? Or was that brown. I cant remember.

With the increase in drop of each key, my typing speed is lower than say my Dell standard keyboard at work. Spacebar is great, as it's got bars underneath on each side, so no matter where you hit the space, it always registers.

Some keys are spongy, some are clicky. Shift, backspace and enter are quite spongy and barely make any noise, but the everyday keys are clickity-clack.

With the macro keys on the left side, I will have to get used to my hand positioning.

Clearly built for gamers though. The whole keyboard feels rugged, and the keys feel like they'll last forever. Its weird how much better they feel over normal keyboards.

(snip)

Hey it's like a purchases and computer set-up post in one picture.

Dell 2412m.

I like your style.

KhAJO.jpg

Ducky 9008s (I've joined the vtnet bandwagon) MX Browns with yellow backlighting currently on its way...

Sounds like a Japanese Knockoff.

Also, I just spent $800 on eyeglasses. ****ing eyes.

Sounds like a Japanese Knockoff.

Also, I just spent $800 on eyeglasses. ****ing eyes.

800 dollars? What the ****? Why so much? Even without insurance it shouldn't be that much.

I just bought a pair of prescription sunglasses with polarized lenses(yet to arrive), and they were only $320 without any kind of insurance. Over two thirds of the cost came from the lenses themselves. Eyeglasses are cheaper than sunglasses.

320 dollars? What the ****? Why so much? Even without insurance it shouldn't be that much.

I just bought a pair of prescription eyeglasses, and they were only $120 without any kind of insurance. Everything is cheaper in Canada.

I edited my post above to reflect the fact that over two thirds of the cost of the sunglasses were from the lenses. The frames were 90 dollars.

I got them on FrameDirect.com

120 dollars seems about right for a pair of prescription eyeglasses. That's why I'm doing a double take on Krynn's 800 dollar price.

I think he got some vintage world war 2 era german eyeglasses or something.

I think he got some vintage world war 2 era german eyeglasses or something.
Man, I wish. That would be boss. But nope, its just that my lenses cost a ****ing shit ton because my eyes are so ****ed up. The frames themselves were kind of pricey too, $120 and $135, but its the lenses man. I mean, I actually saved $500. Yeah, thats right, they would have been $1300 or so full price, but I had a deal where the lenses were 50% off.

I'm legally blind without glasses, and have astigmatism in my right eye. I can't even read usernames on this forum without putting my face like 6" away from the monitor. ****ing eyes.

Your eyes sound about as ****ed up as mine, I also only paid about $100 though. Maybe you're getting a bunch of bullshit features on yours? Shit even mine have the anti-scratch + progressive lenses and they're still just this price...

Man, I wish. That would be boss. But nope, its just that my lenses cost a ****ing shit ton because my eyes are so ****ed up. The frames themselves were kind of pricey too, $120 and $135, but its the lenses man. I mean, I actually saved $500. Yeah, thats right, they would have been $1300 or so full price, but I had a deal where the lenses were 50% off.

I'm legally blind without glasses, and have astigmatism in my right eye. I can't even read usernames on this forum without putting my face like 6" away from the monitor. ****ing eyes.

Umm... I'm the same way. I don't know to what extent that you say you're legally blind, but I literally cannot live life without my glasses. I cannot even use the computer without my glasses. I suffer horrific blurry vision near and far, and debilitating headaches if I have my glasses off for too long. I don't see why yours are so much more astronomically expensive.

Could you post your prescription?

Here's mine.

cmjU6.jpg

Mine's OD -5,-1.25, 10 and OS -5.75, -1.5, 170
The cost of the lenses, before discount, were $415, and $545 for the sunglasses. I did get fancy "High Index Lenses" because that makes the lens less thick, and without it my lenses would be half an inch thick. Its litterally the difference between these two glasses and I'll be damned if I have to wear such dorky sized glasses.

Ns32q.jpg

I'm sure I am paying a premium though. For one, its a physical store I went to, not some online massive warehouse. They also have a decent warranty. Its got a 3 month guarantee where even if I just don't like the glasses anymore, I can get a full refund or replacement pair(s). Its also got lifetime cleaning and adjustments, so if I ever scratch the bajesus out of them, they will buff/polish it out for no charge.

I went through that FramesDirect site and the cost for a similar pair to the ones I got are about $375 with lenses. So its not as expensive, but it comes with 1/3 the warranty time, none of the extra services, and essentially a 50% restocking fee if I do want to return them. I can't try them on beforehand, and need to deal with shipping and etc. Plus its still more expensive than you guys are saying, so it must just be because of my lenses.

My glasses have these water etches in them. My prescription has changed so little(over 10 years ago I got these), it doesn' make sense to get new ones. but I don't want to have to pay full price to get new ones.

Is it possible to "buff"/polish these out of them?

Is it possible to "buff"/polish these out of them?
Apparently. They were doing it for some woman while I was there, and 5 minutes later they gave them back to her and the lady seemed impressed.
Are yours metal Raz? All the Glasses I've owned have been metal, and they seem to last really long. I think I've only owned 4 or 5 pairs in my life, and I've been wearing them since elementary school.

I think I've had my current pair for about 5 or 6 years now. The lenses are really high quality apparently, no scratches or blemishes at all on them, and I always have just used my t-shirt to clean them, and usually not delicately. Well, I did accidentally get super glue on the lens, so thats a blemish, but not the lens' fault. The frame however was less resilient. It lasted quite awhile, but over the last two or three months its deteriorated rapidly, with the metal becoming very corroded and pitted to the point of discomfort, and earlier this week the head of the screw holding in the right lens' rim just randomly popped off because it was so rusty, causing the lens to fall out while I was driving. Hence the super glue and the sudden desire for new glasses.

My glasses are metal, yes. I've had the same frames for the same 10 years or so. I've had a couple times where the frames snapped(temperature changes I think, when I used to keep them on the windowsill while I slept and then cleaned them in the morning), but the repair guys managed to weld them back up. Since I stopped keeping them on the windowsill, they stopped breaking.

The lenses are what I have a problem with. I am very anal about having clean lenses without smudges or dust on them. I have these water etchings... I don't know any other way to describe it. Like they've been deteriorated a bit by acid rain or something.

2E0NV.jpg

Looks like what happens to windows over time, rained on and dried leaving behind the impurities in the H2O.

So I feel bad for all of you. I've got perfect vision.

So I feel bad for all of you. I've got perfect vision.

Feel bad for yourself, because I'm going to steal your eyeballs some day. I'll be kind enough to give you my own so you don't have to suffer blindly. At least... not completely blind. MUAHAHAH!

Raz, looks like your coating is degrading. It may be under warranty.

I have titanium frames, the durability is excellent and they are corrosion proof as well as unlikely to cause contact dermatitis for those with sensitive skin... and extremely light. All hail titanium!

For my lenses, the material is CR-39 with top of the line anti-scratch and anti-reflective coatings. I wash them after I shower with hand soap and running water, and dry them with some TP or Kleenex and then use a microfiber cloth to get rid of any fibers left over from drying. They look like they are brand new, no scratches or marks on the lenses and the clarity is fantastic.

Reasons why CR-39 is boss and poly lenses aren't:
CR-39 is transparent in the visible spectrum and is almost completely opaque in the ultraviolet range. It has high abrasion resistance, in fact the highest abrasion/scratch resistance of any uncoated optical plastic. CR-39 is about half the weight of glass with an index of refraction only slightly lower than that of crown glass, and its high Abbe number yields low chromatic aberration, altogether making it an advantageous material for eyeglasses and sunglasses. A wide range of colors can be achieved by dyeing of the surface or the bulk of the material. CR-39 is also resistant to most solvents and other chemicals, gamma radiation, aging, and to material fatigue. It can withstand the small hot sparks from welding, something glass cannot do. It can be used continuously in temperatures up to 100 °C and up to one hour at 130 °C.

Poly lenses also get BRITTLE when Anti-Reflective coatings are applied... CR-39 does not. So the vaunted impact resistance of poly goes right out the window whenever a standard coating like AR is applied which most people will opt for. Polycarbonate lenses have a terrible index of Refraction, so chromatic aberration is an issue. I went to Pearle Vision for my last pair of glasses, and I specified CR-39 and they gave me lenses made with poly. I figured that out right quick when I got chromatic aberration. All would have been fine except they played dumb when I took them back and asked for them to use the material I had asked for. I dropped them and went to a non-chain eye doctor / lens-frame shop and they did FAR better... though I did pay more because they were not covered by my insurance.

IMG_2050.JPG

I'm pretty sure my lenses don't have any type of coating at all on them.

That's gotta be a coating breaking down Raz. If you are feeling brave you can try soaking the lenses in vinegar or alcohol and see if it removes all of it. Better would be to see if they are still warrantied and can be replaced. Uncoated lenses don't get marked up like that... scratched sure, but frosted or crazed? Not unless you've been splashing around in acid.

General advice for everyone who wears glasses full time: Get CR-39 lenses with premium anti-scratch and anti-reflective coatings if your prescription allows it. They do make a big difference and the optical quality is far superior to poly lenses. I forget I'm wearing glasses some days.

Back