South Asian Superbug

Thank god I take medicinal mushrooms now! I hope I can fight off anything :)

The so-called superbug gene has so far been identified in 37 people who returned to Great Britain after undergoing surgery in India or Pakistan, researchers said.

British researchers reported that the new gene, called NDM-1, can be easily be transferred into common bacteria such as E. Coli, according to the article. The gene alters bacteria, making them resistant to nearly all known antibiotics.

Let us build a giant internment sphere for those individuals.

Man, I came into this thread with the hope that there was a giant bug attacking South Asia.

For any South Asian girls out there in need of a place to stay from this super bug pandemic, my bed is really good refuge spot :naughty:

Send in Godzilla. He'll take care of this super bug.

It could mean the end of anti-biotics... fuuuuu- : /

20100812043045clipboard.png

That article seems a little bit doom and gloom.

Is it really that bad? And if so, I guess I better start boosting up my immune system.

I am far more calm in a world threatened by nuclear holocaust than one by bacterial or viral holocaust.

Maybe in the future we'll be ruled by giant pharmaceutical corporations that keep the populace alive through medications that control this superbug but not completely cure it, making sure that we have to buy their products and obey their whims and whatnot.

We'll let the free market be our solution.

To be honest I think this is all a plot by the MJ12 to seize power! If they can control the vaccine they can easily control politicians by controlling who gets it and who doesn't!

I must say, I haven't had any antibiotics in years... only a mild dose after an operation once in a hospital.
As long as this mean that my white blood cells can still kill any normal infection, its not the end of the world by default. I do feel sorry for all the pore ****ers in third world country's and people really depending on antibiotics... now just make sure you don't get and STD...

I apologize for being an ass, but I feel I gotta point out that(in English anyway) it's written as antibiotics.

2nding the medicinal mushrooms mentioned earlier by Warped.

good luck superbug, meet agarikon...

If we find new medicine it's just going to become resistant again. Stupid humans ruined it for all of us and will again.

I remember seeing in a documentary something about bacteriophage therapy. This was developed in the former Soviet Union as an alternative to antibiotics, but research was discontinued due to lack of money.

I think it's an interesting idea but there surely would be risks with essentially attempting to eliminate one parasite by using another parasite.

If we find new medicine it's just going to become resistant again. Stupid humans ruined it for all of us and will again.

Well, the problem is specifically that we're not developing new antibiotics nearly as fast as we could and should, because we've(on a global level) focused our research on other topics, thinking it wasn't that important to research new antibiotics, until now.

Well, the problem is specifically that we're not developing new antibiotics nearly as fast as we could and should, because we've(on a global level) focused our research on other topics, thinking it wasn't that important to research new antibiotics, until now.

More like the pharma companies thought it wasn't that profitable.

Steps for keeping yourself safe (and from other bacteria/viruses):

- Eat a rock solid diet. I'm talking WHOLE foods, i.e. vegetables, fruit, fish, nuts, and whole grains. No processed junk, and you will know how bad that food is for you once you've eaten so good for a while. Just go ahead and try eating a pizza..

The idea here is to load up on phytonutrients such as carotenoids, saponins, flavonoids, lignins, phenols, terpenes, etc.. There's loads of them (more we haven't discovered probably) and when you're eating a wide spectrum of vegetables and fruit, you are loading an entire array of protective mediums and free radical scavengers into your body every day, all day. Not to mention fiber and enzymes, your GI tract will love you. Remember that our intestines are a critical line of defense when it comes to invading pathogens in our body, take care of them.

- Exercise like a warrior. Run all you can, swim all you can, dance all you can, run up stairs, whatever you can and however long you can stand it every day. No brainer here, everyone probably already knows why this works. If you are strong, lean, and healthy you are far less likely to be immunologically compromised by invading organisms.

- Eat a retarded amount of medicinally active mushrooms and or supplements containing mushroom mycelium of medicinal species. The beta-glucans, a type of polysaccharides, in many species such as oyster and yes even the shiitake, have a well documented ability to stimulate the immune system through modulatory actions on cell targets. Yeast also can produce beta-glucans, but the best source on Earth of medicinal glucans are mushrooms. Regular ingestion of medicinal mushrooms can provide potent protection from infection, diseases, and cancers and display anti-tumor activity. In some species discovered there are studies displaying 80% to 100% efficiency in the inhibition of tumor growth in vitro and in vivo. There are several polysaccharides in European and Japanese clinical trials currently for adjunct cancer therapies, such as Lentinan from the Shiitake, and Krestin (Polysaccharide-K) from the Turkey Tail mushroom. Maitake mushrooms are being investigated by the FDA, as began in 1997. No suprise, the D-Fraction polysaccharide in the mushroom is what sparked their interest.

Look people, plants produce protective compounds in their life cycles to keep themselves alive. Fungi are no exception, and research is quickly suggesting that they may be better at the game than plants. Its widely known that people can benefit from plants ingestion because of phytonutrients, and now its being discovered that people also can benefit from ingestion of fungi. But, we already knew this.. Thats why a large portion of novel anti-viral drugs, antibacterials, anti-biotics, and other drugs are derrived from the fungi kingdom. Penicillin anyone?

So take note, Big Pharma already knows these things. They've already discovered statins, immunosuppressants (ciclosporin), anti-biotics to ward infection (fusidic acid), anti-fungals (griseofulvin), and other oddities like ergotamine. Their drug patents are chock full of targeted drugs derived from fungus. Active Hexose Correlated Compound, a proprietary polysaccharide set derived from the Shiitake, is handed out liberally in many Japanese hospitals to protect patients from airborne and surface pathogens. Its a proactive approach to keeping the non-sick from getting sick, and works by increasing Natural Killer cell counts, and stimulating killer T-cells and cytokines.

I feel strongly doing these three things would protect you from this so-called superbug far more efficiently than any targeted anti-biotic would.
Might just crush that bacterium like a fly... ;)

I'm too lazy and too uncaring about my own health to eat healthily, or at least keep track of what I eat etc.

That's why I'm hoping we'll get nutritional cubes soon enough, one single cube you consume twice a day with a taste of your choice, that contains all the nutrients and shit you need to get you through your day!

I'm a person that don't have that strong an appetite, and I have a very hard time forcing myself to eat stuff I don't find very well-tasting as a result.

In the end, I prefer just living life the way I wish, if I die early as a result, so be it.

But I respect others right to get very uptight about being healthy and shit.

As long as they don't ****ing look down on me for not having the motivation to be as they are, I hate it when people do that, just makes me wanna take my ****ing fork and shove it into their ****ing throat, you know? And then take it out and shove it back in repeatedly, whilst the restaurant owner calls the police and I get taken away.

Yeah..

Back