What do you do for a living?

...and as a side-job I am a care nurse in an elderly home.

"Oh splendid, another lovely game of Housey! Can you wheel me to the lounge, Samon?"

"Ms. Withersby, I understand that your selection of games here is rather limited, but it baffles me as to why you'd jump to play it with such alacrity. Nevermind the fact that it is abhorrently outdated on the technological level, it also has equally atrocious gameplay as well. My biggest complaint with it however, is the utter lack of choice for the player. Your progress throughout the map can be either really erratic - eliminating any form of continuity whatsoever - or extremely linear if it has predetermined you to win. It also has a practically non-existent storyline."

"I guess I'll go preorder Call of Duty: Black Ops then."

"You'll be equally disappointed."

Work in a Pharmacy warehouse and do occasional home-call drug deliveries or nursing home deliveries. Easy money TBH.

I currently weld 2 parts for the MRAP Hummer:

MATV-14.jpg

No this job isn't what I want and isn't that fun neither as it's a manufacturing welding. It's a job though in this depression and something to put on my resume.

lol even though you're a civilian it reminds me of the end of this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj4V3oJEMQA

I still do bugger all. Job hunting is shit. Not even one interview yet and I've applied to billions of jobs.

"Oh splendid, another lovely game of Housey! Can you wheel me to the lounge, Samon?"

"Ms. Withersby, I understand that your selection of games here is rather limited, but it baffles me as to why you'd jump to play it with such alacrity. Nevermind the fact that it is abhorrently outdated on the technological level, it also has equally atrocious gameplay as well. My biggest complaint with it however, is the utter lack of choice for the player. Your progress throughout the map can be either really erratic - eliminating any form of continuity whatsoever - or extremely linear if it has predetermined you to win. It also has a practically non-existent storyline."

"I guess I'll go preorder Call of Duty: Black Ops then."

"You'll be equally disappointed."

Oh god. :LOL:

I work in a library shelving books for minimum wage and it blows.
I'd love to have your job you ingrate. Sure beats the hell out of working in a fast food joint, which is what I was close to doing. If I had to guess, you don't live in America right? Nobody reads in America anymore (at least where I live in the South) and most libraries around here are cutting back hours. I'd love to have your job.

I just got employed as a rest stop attendant. It's minimum wage, but considering that I have no debt, no utility bills to pay, and I only have to pay $100 a month for rent, I'd say I'm riding the gravy train compared to millions of unemployed Americans right now. I'm gonna save up a few thousand bucks for a road trip. Gonna go find greener pastures where I can find a job to apply my IT and customer service skills.

Yeah man I used to shelve books as volunteer work for no pay at all. I'm surprised they even have that as a paying job.

You're from Florida. You're not allowed to say "uni." Here in the states we call everything "college." Even if it IS a university. Get it right or you'll be exiled.

This. I've never heard a fellow American say "uni" or even "university" when referring to their college. Just say college.

The closest is by its acronym eg "U of A" for University of Arizona or "ASU" for Arizona State University, etc.

Environment artist at a game company in the Netherlands... woot!:p

I still do bugger all. Job hunting is shit. Not even one interview yet and I've applied to billions of jobs.

On the job hunt myself. Only started applying to places just over a week ago, still waiting for replies.

Keep at it though, gotta be a job somewhere! :D

Environment artist at a game company in the Netherlands... woot!:p

Nice, applying for that position myself at a number of companies here in the UK. :) How do you find it?

It is my employer's wish that I do not share information about my job.

My life could be in danger.

On the job hunt myself. Only started applying to places just over a week ago, still waiting for replies.

Keep at it though, gotta be a job somewhere! :D

Nice, applying for that position myself at a number of companies here in the UK. :) How do you find it?
Getting a haircut in about half an hour, then gonna throw 20+ copies of my CV round both Pontypridd and Tref industrial estate.
I've also realised working in a car showroom would be awesome.

Damn dude that sucks. Keep trying. I've been out of a job for 2 weeks now but at least I've been getting nibbles. I've only applied for about ~75 jobs so far though out of everything though, I'm kinda picky while I still can afford to be. Keep your head up though man its tough out there

Turned down 2 job offers (one paid same as my unemployment and one was an unreasonable commute) and went to a final interview where I didnt land the position.

When you go in places ask for the manager or recruiter and talk directly to them. I find when I give my resume to a receptionist it goes either in the trash or into a file with a billion other resume of people that came in.

I just got offered an interview after 8 months of job hunting!
One shift a week, if I get it.

The only job I have found thus far, is a volunteer job for one day a week in a Christian book store, and that's without pay. Still I want to do it either way, give the guys a hand since they need it and I can finally get some experience, but if after ages of searching all I can find is a job that doesn't pay, I think the situation here is pretty ****ed.

Also it's worth mentioning the amount of scams encountered today job hunting is really sickening. Craigslist is the worst, but even careerbuilder and monster (the "big guys" sites) are filled with them.

60%+ of the jobs postings on craigslist I've responded to are scams- people wanting you to deposit stolen checks in your account and then wire them the money. Or trying to mine personal information (SSN#'s, etc)

25%+ on the big guys sites.

They always respond and it looks legit, but if you copy and paste the email into google it comes up as a scam with hundreds of other people asking about the same email (same exact wording, senders, etc)

It's happening so much that it's outrageous. It's not "one out of every few of them"- the job postings are so filled with them that it's sad. What's even sadder is I know probably half the people who get them give up confidential data or fall for the scams.

If you're looking for work make sure you register with as many temp agencies as possible- probably your best bet for landing a job, and a good company at that. You won't get stuck in the "temp cycle" if you are really outstanding and the company will hire you on after you meet your minimum time for the temp agency. That usually means a raise too. If your wage is say $10 an hour, they're probably paying the temp agency $15 an hour. So they can hire you on for $11 an hour WITH full benefits and still probably save money by having hired you on.

It is my employer's wish that I do not share information about my job.

My life could be in danger.

For some reason, I thought you were Acepilot (I've always mixed you up for him idk) and I was going to be like "You just totally gave away getting into the whole jet thing you deuchbahguh".

If you're looking for work make sure you register with as many temp agencies as possible- probably your best bet for landing a job, and a good company at that.
Weren't you dumping on me last year because I used to work as a temp?
You won't get stuck in the "temp cycle" if you are really outstanding and the company will hire you on after you meet your minimum time for the temp agency. That usually means a raise too. If your wage is say $10 an hour, they're probably paying the temp agency $15 an hour. So they can hire you on for $11 an hour WITH full benefits and still probably save money by having hired you on.
This is absolute bullshit too. You don't have any experience to say that, do ya? Have you been hired on? They don't ****ing hire anybody on. I've never seen it happen, after I worked at temp agencies for 10 years. I'll quote all my Super's best kept secret "The temp agency will get kinda mad at us if we take their best employees." (i.e. we secretly can't hire you)

When you are hired as a temp, they make a big deal about "getting hired on" (if you work there as a temp a certain length of time they must hire you), but in fact, it's a bunch of shit. You will be recycled over and over between a few different temp jobs, just to make sure they don't have to hire you on, so that they will never have to pay you benefits, and so that they can always make a few dollars for every hour you will ever work for years on end.

They don't want you to get hired on man. Think. That means they don't get part of your income anymore. And you fill a role at the employer that they can't fill with some other temp.

Protip: If you are a temp, keep your applications and job seeking attempts to yourself.

Weren't you dumping on me last year because I used to work as a temp?
No, for working forever as a temp yes.

This is absolute bullshit too. You don't have any experience to say that, do ya? Have you been hired on? They don't ****ing hire anybody on. I've never seen it happen, after I worked at temp agencies for 10 years. I'll quote all my Super's best kept secret "The temp agency will get kinda mad at us if we take their best employees." (i.e. we secretly can't hire you)

OH? I DONT? Actually yes, I do. I worked for Spherion- a temp agency, and was hired on by the client corporation as soon as I met my minimum hours. And they were my employer until August 27 when I got laid off. Don't assume before you spout off. They actually had the offer letter drafted before they could take me on but let me know they intended to as soon as they could.

When you are hired as a temp, they make a big deal about "getting hired on" (if you work there as a temp a certain length of time they must hire you), but in fact, it's a bunch of shit. You will be recycled over and over between a few different temp jobs, just to make sure they don't have to hire you on, so that they will never have to pay you benefits, and so that they can always make a few dollars for every hour you will ever work for years on end.
That's on you, or you worked for a very shitty temp agency. And while some don't pay benefits- many do. Work for a good agency- Talascend, Spherion, or one that specializes in a field such as engineering or science, even if you're just an admin (all fields need support staff), and you'll get benefits. Work for "Manpower" or another agency like that and I doubt you'll get benefits.

There is no rule about "having to hire you." How can the temp agency make a rule for a completely different company? I think you must've misunderstood your recruiter or something. That doesn't make any sense in the least.

Do you think the TEMP AGENCY is the one that hires you on? I think you're confused as to how the process works. The CLIENT COMPANY hires you on- your goal is to make a great impression at the client company so they dont choose to cycle you out. They are paying extra for the staffing company (temp agency) labor than they would have to for employing you. They only save money in the recruiting/talent acquisition stage.

Small companies that don't have an HR/recruiting department, or large companies that need someone ASAP to fill a vacancy without the HR hassle are the main clients of temp agencies.

They don't want you to get hired on man. Think. That means they don't get part of your income anymore. And you fill a role at the employer that they can't fill with some other temp.

THEY (The temp agency) have no control whether or not you get hired on with another company after you complete assignment's hours. That's why there is a SET MINIMUM NUMBER OF HOURS the client has to pay for before they can hire you on. They have a contract with the temp agency. Once you meet those hours, if the client company likes you they'll poach you from the temp agency. The temp agency has no control of what the client company does if they're not violating their end of the contract.

It makes no sense for a CLIENT company to pay an inflated premium to a temp agency when they can hire you on for less. That's why the temp agency has the minimum hours contract with them. Like I said- if you make $12 bucks an hour, the temp agency is getting at least $16 from the client- a $4 profit after they pay you.

Protip: If you are a temp, keep your applications and job seeking attempts to yourself.

This is true of ANY employment. If they know you are looking for another job, you'll be on the next list for layoffs. Why would they keep somebody who is guaranteed turnover? Makes no sense. :rolleyes:

Woke up just now to my alarm clock.

Was sitting in bed thinking, "Why did I set my alarm clock? I don't have work anymore."

And as I was drifting off back to sleep, I realized today is my last day.

Shouldn't have stayed up so late. <grumble> <grumble>

Oh and also, my two cents. The whole temp work philosophy that is going on in many parts of America the past who knows how long, is ****ing terrible. I hate having to find work through temp agencies(in many places, like here in Texas, it's one of the few ways you CAN find a job except with retail or fast food. Even CEO's are hired out through temp agencies around here). It's very rare that you find a company which values you beyond your initial temporary employment and decides to take you in away from the temp agency. My brother was lucky and managed to find one of those great companies. Usually you're stuck from temp job to temp job, with no real prospects of a stable job.

And that's a horrible way to go about life in the job world.

It makes no sense for a CLIENT company to pay an inflated premium to a temp agency when they can hire you on for less. That's why the temp agency has the minimum hours contract with them. Like I said- if you make $12 bucks an hour, the temp agency is getting at least $16 from the client- a $4 profit after they pay you.

From everything I've read, many of the temp agencies around here get paid at least double what your pay rate is. So they're getting paid your pay rate in addition to you being paid your share. And companies are willing to pay the premium because they would rather do that than keep you on where they have to provide benefits and all sorts of other shit.

I hate temp agencies, and all my experiences with them have been bad ones. That whole philosophy is ****ing horrible for America.

No, for working forever as a temp yes.

OH? I DONT? Actually yes, I do. I worked for Spherion- a temp agency, and was hired on by the client corporation as soon as I met my minimum hours. And they were my employer until August 27 when I got laid off. Don't assume before you spout off. They actually had the offer letter drafted before they could take me on but let me know they intended to as soon as they could.

That's on you, or you worked for a very shitty temp agency. And while some don't pay benefits- many do. Work for a good agency- Talascend, Spherion, or one that specializes in a field such as engineering or science, even if you're just an admin (all fields need support staff), and you'll get benefits. Work for "Manpower" or another agency like that and I doubt you'll get benefits.

There is no rule about "having to hire you." How can the temp agency make a rule for a completely different company? I think you must've misunderstood your recruiter or something. That doesn't make any sense in the least.

Do you think the TEMP AGENCY is the one that hires you on? I think you're confused as to how the process works. The CLIENT COMPANY hires you on- your goal is to make a great impression at the client company so they dont choose to cycle you out. They are paying extra for the staffing company (temp agency) labor than they would have to for employing you. They only save money in the recruiting/talent acquisition stage.

Small companies that don't have an HR/recruiting department, or large companies that need someone ASAP to fill a vacancy without the HR hassle are the main clients of temp agencies.

THEY (The temp agency) have no control whether or not you get hired on with another company after you complete assignment's hours. That's why there is a SET MINIMUM NUMBER OF HOURS the client has to pay for before they can hire you on. They have a contract with the temp agency. Once you meet those hours, if the client company likes you they'll poach you from the temp agency. The temp agency has no control of what the client company does if they're not violating their end of the contract.

This is true of ANY employment. If they know you are looking for another job, you'll be on the next list for layoffs. Why would they keep somebody who is guaranteed turnover? Makes no sense. :rolleyes:
As I said, I worked as a temp for 10 years. Do you think I'm somehow unclear as to how it all works? You couldn't hardly know what you are talking about, so I'm not totally surprised you misunderstood me.

And they don't pay more in the long run to use a temp. They don't have to pay any benefits, any paid vacation, any sick leave, any medical, any workers compensation, the list goes on, believe it.

When I worked at Fisher Scientific, the other employees got something like 3 weeks of paid vacation, just for Christmas/New Years. What did the temps get? 1 day paid for Christmas day. The rest: Days off from work; no pay. (And I had been a temp there for years)

It's a trap for the complacent. Every employer I worked for always hired from outside of the temp agency when they did any hiring.

Get real; while other lazy asses just maintained, I did two or three times the work as anyone else, trying to prove myself. It's useless.

as soon as I met my minimum hours. And they were my employer until August 27 when I got laid off.
You were hired on from a temp agency? I have no problem saying that I don't believe you. Don't lie because you don't like what I'm telling you. You were laid off, and back to the recycling bin at the temp agency. Come clean, or **** off.

You were hired on from a temp agency? I have no problem saying that I don't believe you. Don't lie because you don't like what I'm telling you. You were laid off, and back to the recycling bin at the temp agency. Come clean, or **** off.

I'm completely on your side regarding the temp agencies Virus. Though, as I said above, it does occasionally happen that you get hired by the company your temp agency sends you to. Though, it is exceedingly rare. As I mentioned above, my brother happened to get hired by the company that he was sent to by the temp agency, and has been there several years now.

But really, that company is the exception to most of the rest out there. Most have no intentions of ever hiring you, and when they want a real full time employee on the company payroll, they will hire out through an entirely different process.

The temp agencies typically think that they own you. That's been the whole vibe that I've gotten over the years. And they squabble over you, which is one reason they refuse to allow you to work through multiple agencies to have your best prospects of finding a job.

It does happen Virus. We do temp-to-hire at my work. Also, my fiancée was hired into the marketing department of an insurance firm. Honestly, it's kind of silly to argue about the subject.

Working with hundreds of other temps, I've never seen it happen. So, congratulations.

I am not being a dick. The temp to hire is some bullshit scheme. I don't think I ever said it wasn't possible.

It just bugged the shit out of me for someone to say that it's a great plan to work as a temp, and work your way up the ladder like some infomercial success story.

A temp agency is a great job - compared to fast food and retail. But a temp agency should still be a last resort. I mean, I'm just saying this: do put in applications everywhere; do not be complacent and expect to be hired on.

And it's not easy to look for work when you are already working 40 and 50 hours a week at a temp agency. That's the complacency trap I'm talking about.

I just got an interview today. My first ever! And nice new hair :D

Wish me luck, it's at B&Q. About 1 mile (so within walking distance) of where I live.

Wish me luck, it's at B&Q. About 1 mile (so within walking distance) of where I live.

Good luck! I have an on-site interview tomorrow too. At best I'm expecting another offer to be an eternal intern while the interest on my mountain of student loans grows and grows, but I'm trying to remain hopeful.

Barnes and Quaker?

That new hair is part of growing up. You'll get more soon and then you'll be a man.

As I said, I worked as a temp for 10 years. Do you think I'm somehow unclear as to how it all works? You couldn't hardly know what you are talking about, so I'm not totally surprised you misunderstood me.

Hey man I just quoted what you said. It's not the TEMP AGENCY who decides whether or not you get hired on- its the CLIENT COMPANY. Of course the temp agency would prefer you not get hired on, the thing is they have NO CONTROL OF THAT once their contract terms are met.

And they don't pay more in the long run to use a temp. They don't have to pay any benefits, any paid vacation, any sick leave, any medical, any workers compensation, the list goes on, believe it.
Where I worked they gave me a dollar raise when I was hired on. They were paying the temp agency around 6 dollars over what they paid me. You better believe they saved money even with the benefits they gave me. If you think the benefits add up to over $5 per hour you're overestimating it big time.

When I worked at Fisher Scientific, the other employees got something like 3 weeks of paid vacation, just for Christmas/New Years. What did the temps get? 1 day paid for Christmas day. The rest: Days off from work; no pay. (And I had been a temp there for years)
Again, that's because you're working for the TEMP AGENCY. You did not work FOR "Fisher Scientific" but you did contract work at their office. If you had issues with that, take it up with your employer (the temp agency) not the client company. You need to understand the client company pays the temp agency- who you work for. You're acting as a contractor- why would you get the same benefits as the client company if you're not hired on with them?

It's a trap for the complacent. Every employer I worked for always hired from outside of the temp agency when they did any hiring.
If that's true then you need to ask to be cycled out of that client company to a better one.

Get real; while other lazy asses just maintained, I did two or three times the work as anyone else, trying to prove myself. It's useless.
No, it's not. Sorry, but that's just your experience. I was hired on as soon as they could because of my administrative/clerical skills.

Come clean? YOU'RE the one that doesn't like what I'm saying. I even told you the name of the temp agency I started with. I worked for Spherion Temp Agency and got hired on for Pulte Homes. I was laid off by Pulte Homes because of massive downsizing. It has nothing to do with being cycled as a temp- I was hired on over 2 years ago in 2008. So maybe you should "come clean or **** off" and tell us what temp agency YOU work for.

That way we dont have to suffer by working for the same terrible temp agency- sounds like they have terrible client companies. Where did you work for so we dont have to accidently go with them?

Working with hundreds of other temps, I've never seen it happen. So, congratulations.

I am not being a dick. The temp to hire is some bullshit scheme. I don't think I ever said it wasn't possible.

It just bugged the shit out of me for someone to say that it's a great plan to work as a temp, and work your way up the ladder like some infomercial success story.

A temp agency is a great job - compared to fast food and retail. But a temp agency should still be a last resort. I mean, I'm just saying this: do put in applications everywhere; do not be complacent and expect to be hired on.

And it's not easy to look for work when you are already working 40 and 50 hours a week at a temp agency. That's the complacency trap I'm talking about.
Most agencies I've talked to the average contract is around 300-400 hours.

That means working full time, contract between client company and temp agency would be met by 7.5 - 10 weeks.

After you met your minimum hours (track them yourself) you should ask your supervisor from the client company if they're going to hire you on. If they BS you or say no- you know straight up. Just "waiting" for it to happen isn't going to make anything happen. You have to take action on it yourself and tell the client company you want them to hire you on. There are people that stay temp on purpose generally because there are lower expectations- theres even a movie about that. I'm not saying that's you, I'm just saying that's very true of temps in general.

I know a lot of other people who got hired on through agencies (Spherion and manpower mostly) so I guess we just have different experiences or a different circle of professional acquaintences. It is a great plan to work as a temp to try to get hired on with a good company- often easier than going through the client company's process.

Think of this way- I never even had to interview for my last employer- I was hired on from temp because they KNEW I was quality. I didn't have to go through the bullshit competetion and stupid interview questions- I got to showcase myself. That's what's good about temping, getting to show yourself off opposed to some 1 hour interview questions.

All of my experiences, as I've said, pretty much reflect yours. I view temp agencies as a plague on the American workforce, where they are most prevalent. The temp life is a shitty one. It's like being a nomad, you have no home.

All of my experiences, as I've said, pretty much reflect yours. I view temp agencies as a plague on the American workforce, where they are most prevalent. The temp life is a shitty one. It's like being a nomad, you have no home.

Which agency did you work for and for how long/how many assignments did you get cycled through?

Just wondering because I am registered with a lot of them, and do not want to accept an assignment for one that you guys worked for- those agencies sound terrible.

Which agency did you work for and for how long/how many assignments did you get cycled through?

Just wondering because I am registered with a lot of them, and do not want to accept an assignment for one that you guys worked for- those agencies sound terrible.

I've worked with Manpower, I've worked with CoWorx, and a slew of others.

They're not terrible because of it... it's simply the business model. They're not in the business of finding you permanent work, they're in the business of retaining you to work for them. They're getting paid to send you off from job to job to job. You don't receive any sense of stability from it, any regularlarity. You're constantly being shuffled from here and there and all over, not sure where your next job will be, or even how long until your next employment opportunity. The only real negative thing directly about temp agencies I can say, is that you get the sense that they feel like they own you. You're their worker monkey. They don't like you to cooperate with other temp agencies or talk about possible permanent employment opportunities with the client company without talking to them first.

It's better than being unemployed, certainly, but it's a far cry from the stability in job that most people should have.

Temp to hire is really honestly not the goal of those agencies. That's the goal of the occasional company that hires through them, and the temp agency would preferably not have you go with them. They want to keep you in that temp dance of hell because they profit off it.

That's not the kind of employment America needs. Temp agencies are a great thing, if all they were for was to provide Americans jobs who needed it the most. People out of work, trying to stay afloat. For a little while.

But the reality of temp agencies in America, is that they promote their own type of career. Temp For Life is the career. And it's atrocious. It's a business, and you're just rented out merchandise.

I've worked with Manpower, I've worked with CoWorx, and a slew of others.

They're not terrible because of it... it's simply the business model. They're not in the business of finding you permanent work, they're in the business of retaining you to work for them. They're getting paid to send you off from job to job to job. You don't receive any sense of stability from it, any regularlarity. You're constantly being shuffled from here and there and all over, not sure where your next job will be, or even how long until your next employment opportunity.

It's better than being unemployed, certainly, but it's a far cry from the stability in job that most people should have.

Temp to hire is really honestly not the goal of those agencies. That's the goal of the occasional company that hires through them, and the temp agency would preferably not have you go with them. They want to keep you in that temp dance of hell because they profit off it.

That's not the kind of employment America needs.

I don't like Manpower- the clerical/admin jobs they contract out for are shit. They have better jobs for manual labor, etc.

And, again- like I said- why would a temp agency's goal be to turn you over. The point is it's a great way to get your foot into the door of a good company and get hired on with them. It's up to YOU to do so!

I don't see how that makes the temp model or temp agency bad in any way whatsoever. It's like you guys all expect the temp agency to be finding you permanent work..? You are working for a staffing agency, and they provide staffing solutions to clients. That's the attitude you need to have when you go in to work for your client company- providing excellent service and being a great representative of your agency.

Let's say I am Wal Mart. I hire a contractor to build a new wal mart store. "Bob's Building Solutions" is their name. The construction guys that are there building my wal mart are NOT my employees, and they're stupid if they expect to get wal mart benefits, etc, just because they're working on a wal mart project. They're "Bob's Building Solution" guys, not mine.

And if you stay in contact with your agent at the temp agency, you will know how long your assignment is, the next one you're lined up for, etc. I honestly don't see how you could be oblivious to all that information unless you simply don't request it from them.

When you start a new position as a temp- ask the client company supervisor- is my position one needed because of a work influx that will go away? Is this position recently vacated by a permanent employee and you needed it filled ASAP? Is this seasonal work? If you get the answers to those questions, you can figure out if they intend to hire you.

For example if you are a temp and get contracted to do service by a tax processor in February it's pretty ****ing safe to assume you're NOT going to get hired on and that your assignment will probably end in April or May. ASK about your assignment and the nature of the work, and you will have the answers you desire.

I don't like Manpower- the clerical/admin jobs they contract out for are shit. They have better jobs for manual labor, etc.

And, again- like I said- why would a temp agency's goal be to turn you over. The point is it's a great way to get your foot into the door of a good company and get hired on with them. It's up to YOU to do so!

I don't see how that makes the temp model or temp agency bad in any way whatsoever. It's like you guys all expect the temp agency to be finding you permanent work..?

However, the reality is that most companies that you go on with don't give a shit about your foot in the door. You're a second class worker in their office environment. You're a temp, and they have never had any real goal of checking you or any other temp that comes through for permanent hire. They do that sort of stuff internally, separate from the temp agencies, separate from that temporary pool of workers.

Note I said most, not all. But it is the reality of it. The companies that are looking for long term employees from temp workers are especially rare.

Just do some search and research out there about "Temp Workers" and "Second Class".

However, the reality is that most companies that you go on with don't give a shit about your foot in the door. You're a second class worker in their office environment.
You work with people, not robots. If you're a second class worker it's because you chose to be.

When I started as a temp I didnt even have a workstation. I took on many more responsibilities, offered to help where not even mentioned in my job description, and went ALL OUT for the company. They wanted me badly and hired me on. If you just "do the basic requirements" of course they're going to cycle you out for another temp.

You're a temp, and they have never had any real goal of checking you or any other temp that comes through for permanent hire. They do that sort of stuff internally, separate from the temp agencies, separate from that temporary pool of workers.
No. If you filled a seasonal position that's true. If you filled a position needed ASAP, it costs them money and time to TRAIN another person all over again. And if you're a badass employee, they wouldn't want you to be cycled out in the first place. It's in the impression/work ethic you show the client company.

Note I said most, not all. But it is the reality of it. The companies that are looking for long term employees from temp workers are especially rare.

Just do some search and research out there about "Temp Workers" and "Second Class".

That's true for mostly seasonal work or positions like 'receptionists' or unskilled manual labor, mail room clerks, data entry clerks, etc. They can get any buffoon to do those jobs well.

If you're an adminstrator or another clerical position (Payroll, logistics, coordinating, HR, skilled trade) the company HAS to have those positions filled ASAP, and it costs them money to cycle people out and retrain new ones over and over.

You work with people, not robots. If you're a second class worker it's because you chose to be.

Are you ****ing shitting me? In many places as a temp worker you're pigeonholed and corralled based on your status as a temp. If you stray outside the boundaries of that office environment, you're at risk of losing your job.

Sorry, but propping yourself up in positive ways doesn't always have the effect you expect it to.

Don't give me that shit about "If you're a second class worker it's because you chose to be." It's company policy that puts people in those situations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permatemp#Permatemp_culture

Wikipedia said:
In corporate culture, the presence of permatemps creates a caste-like system. That permatemps had socially integrated into the corporate culture and that the company had included permatemps in morale events and gift giving was evidence both in Vizcaino and to the IRS or a communal corporate culture. Policy enforcement that now restricts permatemps from participating in morale events, employee social clubs and the like creates a second class division between regular employees and permatemps.

Many corporations do not hire regular employees to do work they deem low-skilled or unimportant. Permatemps hired to do that work may not get the resources that a regular employee would. Permatemps might be forced to share office space, cubicles or phones when regular employees have their own. Employee badges for permatemps might be a different color, and permatemps may be recognized in the corporate e-mail system by dashes or other identifiers appended to their login ID. By declaring positions filled by permatemps to be low-skilled and making it easier for regular employees to identify their co-workers who are permatemps, companies create a sense of elitism in their regular employees. Permatemps, as a group, might be known by epithets such as "dash trash" (referring to an identifier and a dash prepended to an email user account).[1]

Frequently permatemps are highly skilled, excellent workers, particularly in the IT field, but are still not allowed to participate in company events or receive bonuses for work well done. If they earn over the United States Department of Labor minimum for overtime exemption, they may be asked to put in similar overtime hours to benefitted, salaried employees without overtime compensation. Depending on the staffing firm and corporation policies, permatemps may discover themselves in one of several positions, all of which require the same level of work from them as from their coworkers:

Are you ****ing shitting me? In many places as a temp worker you're pigeonholed and corralled based on your status as a temp. If you stray outside the boundaries of that office environment, you're at risk of losing your job.

You would never be at risk of losing your job for asking for more work or offering to help with other departments. If you finish up quickly, ask for more- tell them clearly "I can handle more than this and I'm willing to pick up the load"

They know if they cycle you out for another temp, the next guy is NOT going to do that.

Sorry, but propping yourself up in positive ways doesn't always have the effect you expect it to.

Don't give me that shit about "If you're a second class worker it's because you chose to be." It's company policy that puts people in those situations.
Theres never a company policy that says you cannot accept more work. Only if its senstive/confidential information such as payroll or HR. Offer to lessen the load of the permanent office employees- they WILL notice, and will not want you cycled out because it means that they get that work back when you're gone.

There's a reason that's under "perma temp"

And- ONCE AGAIN- WHY should a contractor expect to participate in events and get benefits from the client? That makes no sense. If I hire a vendor- lets just say IKON- to fix my copy machines in my office, and the technician says "Well thats not fair- I didnt get to go on your company picnic" I'd call him a dumbass to his face and tell him it's because he's NOT AN EMPLOYEE OF MY COMPANY, he works for IKON, not me.

If he was awesome at his job, and say.. offered to also do computer hardware repair and some other general maintenance while he's around, I probably would poach him from IKON and hire him on as support staff.

And- ONCE AGAIN- WHY should a contractor expect to participate in events and get benefits from the client? That makes no sense. If I hire a vendor- lets just say IKON- to fix my copy machines in my office, and the technician says "Well thats not fair- I didnt get to go on your company picnic" I'd call him a dumbass to his face and tell him it's because he's NOT AN EMPLOYEE OF MY COMPANY, he works for IKON, not me.

What the **** does some copy machine repairman have to do with temp workers? A temp worker working at a company and some dude who delivers the water should not be treated equally. And the fact that they are, and you do, shows exactly what I'm saying. Temp workers don't receive the respect that they are due, they rarely get the recognition they are due, because there is a caste system and they're just throwaway material. HR doesn't typically vest any interest in temp employees other than processing their checks. There are some really good companies out there that do however, and they're fantastic. I guess you have just been to the perfect ones every single time.

And yes, of course it's under Permatemp. It's exactly what I was discussing earlier.

Anyway. It's been a while since I've been with a temp agency. Far more enjoyable experience being hired out by the human resources team at the office you're working in. Like the recent gig I was doing. But this is the same great place that pulled my brother away from the temp agency. They're a shining exception to much of the other crap out there.

What the **** does some copy machine repairman have to do with temp workers? A temp worker working at a company and some dude who delivers the water should not be treated equally. And the fact that they are, and you do, shows exactly what I'm saying. Temp workers don't receive the respect that they are due, they rarely get the recognition they are due, because there is a caste system and they're just throwaway material. HR doesn't typically vest any interest in temp employees other than processing their checks. There are some really good companies out there that do however, and they're fantastic. I guess you have just been to the perfect ones every single time.
If you operate a huge corporation, the "copy machine repairman" could be there every day. I am talking about companies where they employ thousands at one location. Companies like IKON assign techs to cover companies/areas.

Also, the point isn't to get HR to hire you- it's to influence the client company supervisor (the person you're working directly under) to push for you to be hired on full time. HR knows nothing about you, nor any other employees except personal information. You want the supervisor to have you hired for that position. That's your goal to make happen.

And yes, of course it's under Permatemp. It's exactly what I was discussing earlier.
The point is not to become a 'perma temp' in the first place. If you are, you're doing something wrong. Either by sticking with the terrible agency, or continously accepting seasonal/non hiring positions.

Anyway. It's been a while since I've been with a temp agency. Far more enjoyable experience being hired out by the human resources team at the office you're working in. Like the recent gig I was doing. But this is the same great place that pulled my brother away from the temp agency. They're a shining exception to much of the other crap out there.
Companies that hire temps to full time employees are not 'exceptions.' It's a very common practice at major corporations.

Back