Would you rather see new-

• Xen/Alien Wildlife

Votes: 130 52.6%
  • Combine

Votes: 99 40.1%
  • Think we are set on enemies

Votes: 18 7.3%

• Total voters
The word Snark is used in many stories. The name originated from a mock-poem called The Hunting of the Snark by Lewis Carroll. It's also an enemy/weapon in Half-Life 1.

Edit: I just realised that Carroll also wrote Alice in Wonderland itself.

Norns are giants from norse mythology, not forum members.

I'd want to see more Combine. Half Life 1, Blue Shift, and Opposing Force gave quite enough Xen creature types. We seen Xen, we seen the big bad boss, Nihilanth. We never really seen the homeworld of the Combine.

New Combine synths! The thing about new Combine units is that they can be derived from anything Valve (or Laidlaw) can think up.

I'd really like to see the combine assassin but I feel there's no place for it in ep3. :(

Wouldn't an assassin generally use a silenced pistol?

I would rather see somewhat more creative new synths though. We saw assassins in HL1, we might as well get something we haven't seen the likes of before.

Well, the pistol isn't exactly powerful, and the rate of fire in HL1 for their silenced pistol was silly.

Also, this far into the series, they need to make the enemies a bit harder (like the Hunters were).

maybe the zombies have been played out, but i would still like to see some more zombie variations. what about a fast zombine? when a human becomes a zombie it's slow and not really scary, but when a combine soldier becomes one it's faster and more "intelligent", so it stands to reason that a fast zombine would be new and possibly more dangerous than a normal fast zombie. and i would also like to see an elite zombine.

what about a wolf synth? they would be like the hunters but mele attacks only. they would run in larger packs and move faster. they would surround you and draw your fire for a while and then attack you from behind... then the rest of them would all run in. maybe they would have some kind of imperfect active camo.
or they could just make the hunters smarter.
or a gorilla synth. big, heavily armed, lots of health and a very powerful mele.
and they should go ahead and make the combine soldiers smarter.

maybe the zombies have been played out, but i would still like to see some more zombie variations. what about a fast zombine? when a human becomes a zombie it's slow and not really scary, but when a combine soldier becomes one it's faster and more "intelligent", so it stands to reason that a fast zombine would be new and possibly more dangerous than a normal fast zombie. and i would also like to see an elite zombine.

what about a wolf synth? they would be like the hunters but mele attacks only. they would run in larger packs and move faster. they would surround you and draw your fire for a while and then attack you from behind... then the rest of them would all run in. maybe they would have some kind of imperfect active camo.
or they could just make the hunters smarter.

Lol, these ideas are... pretty uncreative, and I'd be a bit disapointed in valve if they did something like that.

A fast zombine? Come on, that would be such a waste of an enemy, especially in the third installment, and can you imagine how stupid it would look? Big bulky body with this little fast crab on it? The bulbous regular headcrab worked fine.
Giving more variations to the combine zombies would be extremely goofy and stupid.

Wolf synth? Isn't that exactly what the Hunter was made for? Gorilla synth?

A hunter has both the qualities of a wolf and a gorilla, this would be a very boring idea to repeat this with another creature.

Adding any creatures at this point is like {quoted from Yahtzee} coming home from school one day to see a walrus at the family dinner table and you're the only one who seems to notice {end of quote}. I'm certain that with the warzone that was City 17 any and all Combine troops would be sent there so why would we suddenly start seeing new different kinds of Combine. The same goes for the Xen creatures, they were cool in Half-Life, and even more so in Half-Life 2, but seeing that there's none of those bloodhounds or whatever you call em and those other whatever you call em; and i'm almost certain there isn't because we'd likely to have seen one by now if there was; there's no possible new kind of Xen creature. You could argue that they might be arctic-based creatures and that's why we haven't seen them but then you must remember that they appeared randomly in Black Mesa and all over the world, so we'd at least see some dead bodies of them. All in all i would like new enemies, i really would but the idea of it actually being possible without a danm good explanation is slim.

For such a long post there seems to be very little thought put into it.

Adding any creatures at this point is like {quoted from Yahtzee} coming home from school one day to see a walrus at the family dinner table and you're the only one who seems to notice {end of quote}. I'm certain that with the warzone that was City 17 any and all Combine troops would be sent there so why would we suddenly start seeing new different kinds of Combine. The same goes for the Xen creatures, they were cool in Half-Life, and even more so in Half-Life 2, but seeing that there's none of those bloodhounds or whatever you call em and those other whatever you call em; and i'm almost certain there isn't because we'd likely to have seen one by now if there was; there's no possible new kind of Xen creature. You could argue that they might be arctic-based creatures and that's why we haven't seen them but then you must remember that they appeared randomly in Black Mesa and all over the world, so we'd at least see some dead bodies of them. All in all i would like new enemies, i really would but the idea of it actually being possible without a danm good explanation is slim.

Well just because we haven't seen any other Xen creatures doesn't mean they don't exist. Xen is an entire world, there must be tons of different enviromets with creatures we haven't seen. It's over 20 years since the Resonance Cascade occured so any stranded Xen creature are bound to have found a suitable habitat for them to live in. Be it Arctic climate, warmer climate, caves or underground, in the ocean whatever. I think there's a large chance we might get to fight some Ichys for example.

As for the Combine i bet they thought the Resistance uprising was nothing more than a annoyance and did not send in any more troops. Breen says it's "rabble in the streets" so he doesn't think it's a problem, more like some ants annoying him. If it wasn't for Gordon the resistance would have been crushed. So there's probably a few more Combine enemies waiting for us. Seeing as they have traveled from world to world for probably a long time and "combifying" the population they probably got loads of different creatures. Now that they know they are loosing earth they might send in some extra firepower (if possible, i know there are no portals left)

It is possible we won't see anything new but there's a pretty big chance we will se something new. Ep1 brought Zombines, Ep2 Hunters. Ep3 will have something else, that's what i think :)

As for the Combine i bet they thought the Resistance uprising was nothing more than a annoyance and did not send in any more troops. Breen says it's "rabble in the streets" so he doesn't think it's a problem, more like some ants annoying him. If it wasn't for Gordon the resistance would have been crushed. So there's probably a few more Combine enemies waiting for us. Seeing as they have traveled from world to world for probably a long time and "combifying" the population they probably got loads of different creatures. Now that they know they are loosing earth they might send in some extra firepower (if possible, i know there are no portals left)

I think it got annoying when their citadel got owned by Gordon though..;)

I think it got annoying when their citadel got owned by Gordon though..;)

Well yes, that's what i said. If it wasn't for Gordon. He did however hand their asses to them so if they are gonna send in some heavy duty shizzle against humanity it's gonna be now.

More powerful synths. Stuff to remind us the Combine has conquered a ton of planets. You just don't get the feeling they defeated the whole military force of Earth with Striders and Hunters.

Adding any creatures at this point is like {quoted from Yahtzee} coming home from school one day to see a walrus at the family dinner table and you're the only one who seems to notice {end of quote}. I'm certain that with the warzone that was City 17 any and all Combine troops would be sent there so why would we suddenly start seeing new different kinds of Combine.
No, different weapons for different environments.

The same goes for the Xen creatures, they were cool in Half-Life, and even more so in Half-Life 2, but seeing that there's none of those bloodhounds or whatever you call em and those other whatever you call em;
Have you played Half-Life? You don't seem to really know what you are talking about.
and i'm almost certain there isn't because we'd likely to have seen one by now if there was; there's no possible new kind of Xen creature. You could argue that they might be arctic-based creatures and that's why we haven't seen them but then you must remember that they appeared randomly in Black Mesa and all over the world, so we'd at least see some dead bodies of them. All in all i would like new enemies, i really would but the idea of it actually being possible without a danm good explanation is slim.
That's entirely stupid, it's like saying "I'm taking a trip to Africa, and I don't expect to see any different animals there, I mean, if they existed, we would have seen them in our zoos, right?"
:rolleyes:

Also, your dead bodies argument is pretty weak as well, 17 years has passed, certainly decomposition has taken place to any dead bullsquids or houndeyes around City 17 (evidently, there was not enough of those species to survive in that area because you don't see any) and even so, what would be the point of valve showing a couple bullsquid or houndeye skeletons to not even let you actually fight them in the game?

No, different weapons for different environments.

Have you played Half-Life? You don't seem to really know what you are talking about.

That's entirely stupid, it's like saying "I'm taking a trip to Africa, and I don't expect to see any different animals there, I mean, if they existed, we would have seen them in our zoos, right?"
:rolleyes:

Also, your dead bodies argument is pretty weak as well, 17 years has passed, certainly decomposition has taken place to any dead bullsquids or houndeyes around City 17 (evidently, there was not enough of those species to survive in that area because you don't see any) and even so, what would be the point of valve showing a couple bullsquid or houndeye skeletons to not even let you actually fight them in the game?

1. I can agree with that first one, but i still think they'd need everything they could get.
2. Yes i'm actually one of the few people who have played Half-Life 2 and then bothered to play the original. It's not like the creature names were actually said in the game.
3. It sounds stupid if you say it like that, but you must remember that the Xen creatures were randomly teleported onto the earth, and the idea that Black Mesa alone got THAT MANY headcrabs, bloodhounds, and etc, is kinda stupid. If we could get like 100 of each creature, why couldn't we get 1 of a few new ones?
4. I'm just saying, weird stuff happens in the Half-Life universe, but i can agree with that. I just would have imagined that since the Combine came and took over earth within 8 hours (i said within) they'd have at least taken some of the Xen creatures to turn them into synths, and the most we saw in the Citadel was those crab synths.

2. I think you'll find most of people on this board have played both Half-Life and Half-Life 2

3. Well it's a game obviously they aren't going to come up with every idea they want to use for the next decade. Case in point: Antlions. Canon wise it's not hard to explain if you make up a good explanation for how portal storms work.

4. We don't know for sure that the Combine now control Xen. And even if they do now they didn't, or only just, got control of Xen before the Earth Invasion - not enough time to get a new line of untested Synths out. And if they then went on to make some, why bother sending them to Earth, a planet already easily beaten by the forces they already had?

Well they didn't have humanoid troops originally, but when they conquered earth they turnd humans into Combine Troops :rolleyes:

Difference being they are made on Earth. There is no proof that the Combine control Xen or that Xen life make useful Synths.

although a bullsquid synth would make a excellent idea how to bring them back to hl2

I want to see the Gargantua come back into episode 3. That was my favorite enemy in the original half-life.

I want to see the Gargantua come back into episode 3. That was my favorite enemy in the original half-life.

Both times i saw it, i killed it on accident. The first time i just ran like hell and turned on the switch, turneed around, and saw that it had followed me and died. The second time i was actually too stupid to realise that i was supposed to use that nuke-machine thingy, and i actually set a load of trip mines on one of the walls and made it chase me down said hallway. It actually exploded, i was suprised.

Both times i saw it, i killed it on accident. The first time i just ran like hell and turned on the switch, turneed around, and saw that it had followed me and died. The second time i was actually too stupid to realise that i was supposed to use that nuke-machine thingy, and i actually set a load of trip mines on one of the walls and made it chase me down said hallway. It actually exploded, i was suprised.

haha awesome!
I wanna try it :D

EDIT:
I wanna see the Gargantua pick up a car, set it on fire, then throw it at the player or something like that.
That would be awesome!

Back