Post your latest purchases with pics (NO STOCK IMAGES)

A toenail clipper in the clipping position? Gross.

My sister's desk is (or was) way more disgusting, with cups and bowls everywhere. Cups with rotting milk in them.

I'm sure those clippers are just for clipping excess plastic on the models...

...right?

Nope, those clipped some nails just 14 hours ago.
My sister's desk is (or was) way more disgusting, with cups and bowls everywhere. Cups with rotting milk in them.
I could post my dishes stack, but I'm pretty sure nothing's rotting on it yet, so I'll concede victory to her.

New monitor! 23" Dell UltraSharp 2312HM

XNeLk.jpg

Finally replaced my Samsung SyncMaster 710n (from 2004). The difference is magical.

Ignore that last thing I posted this is the real shit

FHPrd.jpg

The LCD doesn't actually look like that with those colors, but I had to take this pic in the dark with flash and it turned out that way. But anyway, the unit is sexy as hell and sounds awesome, and has so much functionality. I've got a coaxial to optical converter on the way, so I'm going to have a 100% digital signal path to my audio card.

New monitor! 23" Dell UltraSharp 2312HM

XNeLk.jpg

Finally replaced my Samsung SyncMaster 710n (from 2004). The difference is magical.
The hell are those giant ass jugs?

Bought more StuGs. Got 15 of these bitches now.
huWru.jpg

I got my Fennec fox from Build-A-Bear today! Her name's Fianna which means fair in Irish. Very appropriate I thought!
Snapshot_20120509_1.JPG

Pedantic much? If there's one thing that's inconsistent in Irish, it's how names are spelled. The correct spelling of the Irish word pertaining to fair would have the prefix Fion-, being Fionn for a man or Fionnuala for a woman (literally fion-ghualann or fair-shoulder, implying long fair hair). incidentally, the Fianna were Fionn's followers so I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't some sort of link there between those two words; Fianna has come to mean "soldiers" or "warriors" but the name probably comes from the original association of the Fianna with Fionn, who had fair hair and whose name means fair.

Fiona is, I believe, is a name made up by a Scottish poet which pretends to have origins in ancient Gaelic.

i took the name Fianna from one of my name books and it is stated there that it is Irish for fair or white. Fiona's too generic and dull anyway; I wanted something a bit more interesting. And Kipling's right: Fiona is Scottish.

Got a PS Triple 320gb with some blurays. (Evangelion 1.11, Mortal Kombat, FFVII Advent Children and Run Lola Run (never seen)) and then I bought RDR GotY edition yesterday. Haven't played Undead Nightmare, so i'm excited about that.

EhwEa.jpg

I also relatively recently got these things:
AHA CPR/AED certification (and the keyboard it's on)
Sphygmomanometer
EVGA Geforce GTX 680 Signature superclocked+
Game o' Thrones Book set
Adobe Photoshop Elements 10
Bunch of blu-rays
Terminator 2, Office Space, Independence Day, Braveheart, Princess Bride, Men in Black, The Matrix, Serenity, The Shawshank Redemption, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Forrest Gump, Pirates of the Caribbean: CoTBP, X-Men Trilogy, LOTR Trilogy extended cut, Boxed set of Farscape.
and Mass Effect 3.

CPR_Card.jpg

Bookshelf_O_Goodies.jpg

02G-P4-2683-KR_MD_4.jpg

pAfcN.jpg

****ing bitches. Kick em in the face.

Also technically two of

but I'm too lazy to post pics because they're already in PC.

Lord of Takin' All Your Money for Superfluous Shit amirite? That box with the skull on it isnt even real wood, is it? IS IT?

Lord of Takin' All Your Money for Superfluous Shit amirite? That box with the skull on it isnt even real wood, is it? IS IT?

Oh, it's real wood... pulp. It was definitely real wood at some point in the past is what I'm saying.

The big box was one of the left over display boxes this Gamestop raffled off at the midnight release.

Picked up this used Thinkpad:
5d1rw.jpg

Specs: 1.6 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR2, GMA 950(lol), 1400x1050 IPS screen, 250GB HDD

Love the screen and keyboard/mouse, will much better when college starts next year compared to my crappy Acer which was falling apart on all areas.

Picked up this used Thinkpad:
Specs: 1.6 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR2, GMA 950(lol), 1400x1050 IPS screen, 250GB HDD

Love the screen and keyboard/mouse, will much better when college starts next year compared to my crappy Acer which was falling apart on all areas.
Pfft, poser. Me and Hokey started this Thinkpad trend.

LnPl9.jpg

XPS 13. Quite the upgrade from nothing.
Oh and that lamp I bought recently as well since it reminded me of the gentlemen's club in Suran.

Pfft, poser. Me and Hokey started this Thinkpad trend.
Oh God! We use Thinkpads at work, and I honestly think they're pieces of shit. Seriously, we've had so many problems that I can't believe they still use them. Bleh. Thinkpads FTL that's for certain.

Oh God! We use Thinkpads at work, and I honestly think they're pieces of shit. Seriously, we've had so many problems that I can't believe they still use them. Bleh. Thinkpads FTL that's for certain.
Are you kidding me? Me and a couple guys I work with use them and we love them (we work at a computer repair shop). I mean, this thing has been kickin' since like '06 and runs as fast as ever after I cleaned off the old user's junk. I ran tests on the hard drive and memory and they're in near perfect health. Thats really good for a 7+ year old laptop hard drive. Like, really really good. I took mine apart and the design, while not easy to work with, was very solid, especially compared to the shitty hp, dell, toshiba, and even the few Asus laptops I've opened.

Dunno, maybe you guys use the newer models which I've heard aren't quite as good, but when IBM was making them and at least for awhile after Lenovo took over on its own, they were excellent machines.

Also I got mine for $275, and I would take this thing over any $600-$800 modern HP/Toshiba/Dell pc any day.

Are you kidding me? Me and a couple guys I work with use them and we love them (we work at a computer repair shop). I mean, this thing has been kickin' since like '06 and runs as fast as ever after I cleaned off the old user's junk. I ran tests on the hard drive and memory and they're in near perfect health. Thats really good for a 7+ year old laptop hard drive. Like, really really good. I took mine apart and the design, while not easy to work with, was very solid, especially compared to the shitty hp, dell, toshiba, and even the few Asus laptops I've opened.

Dunno, maybe you guys use the newer models which I've heard aren't quite as good, but when IBM was making them and at least for awhile after Lenovo took over on its own, they were excellent machines.

Also I got mine for $275, and I would take this thing over any $600-$800 modern HP/Toshiba/Dell pc any day.

Well, our company has used the T series from the T43 and so forth. Don't get me wrong, the computers still run, and we have replaced a bunch due to company standards changing. They've used T60-T61, T400-420, and a few more I don't remember the numbers on. I mean they are definitely better than when Lenovo took over, but I wasn't around when we had those so I don't really know how bad they were and how many we had to warranty, etc.

I also agree with the Lenovo claim. Lenovo was terrible when they first took hold of the Thinkpad line. I mean they were seriously awful. We've had so many 400s that we needed to warranty, a whole slew of 410s needed warrantied a few months after we deployed them to the user, and the 420s all have different screen colors and have had a bunch of hardware problems as well.

Don't get me wrong, they have been getting better over the years, but these machines are more unreliable than ever.

I have a 2006 Thinkpad like Krynn, and it's simply not possible to get another laptop with a great keyboard/mouse and 1050 pixels vertical resolution screen without glare for less than 800 euro(paid 170 for mine). And then you have the glossy screens, shitty build quality etc that's common these days.

Mom has a Lenovo Thinkpad Edge 13 btw, which has a matte screen and a keyboard/touchpad about as good as the old IBM models. Seems like Lenovo has improved(or de-worsened) although still most of their new laptops have a 1366x768 resolution.

I bought mine because it is light. I wasn't going to treat my laptop as a desktop computer I leave at work. I do have a problem with the resolutions, but I really think it was an okay trade off. Also I was amazed last night after an hour episode of Game of Thrones, my laptop held battery strength at 97%.

Because IBM/Lenovo makes their own harddrives and memory...

How much do you charge for your expert repairs, exactly?
Its not about the hard drive, its the caddy. Its held in with rubber mounts (and screws obviously) which minimizes damage from when the laptop is moved around while on.

For most things we charge $29-$79 for labor, plus the cost of any parts required. Motherboard repairs and liquid damage cleanup are usually $99-$120.

Also, IBM did make their own hard drives. Though I can't say if they used them in the Thinkpads.

Its not about the hard drive, its the caddy. Its held in with rubber mounts (and screws obviously) which minimizes damage from when the laptop is moved around while on.
Fair enough. But you cited the harddrive's age, which is irrelevant to how it's mounted. Shock absorption is only relevant to how the user was treating it. A laptop can be immobile for 7 years but still have a drive die: that's the fault of the drive manufacturer, not the laptop (barring the possibility of a badly-made memory controller killing it somehow).

If you argued that Lenovos are better for rough and tumble computing, I would agree wholeheartedly. But citing a drive's age as a result of screw mounting is misleading.

And to the counterargument: Drives are designed to withstand multiple-G shocks. Those rubber mounts are going to protect it from traumatic shock and abuse, not 7 years of small movement and bumps.

I mean sure, I suppose if the drive is rigidly screwed to the laptop's main frame with absolutely no leeway or give it'll cause issues. But I've never seen a design that bad.*

IBM hasn't made a harddrive since 2002.

*Who knows. We only work with laptops from 2003 onward at my place.

Every hard drive will fail, I know. But most of the laptops we get that have failing hard drives are ones that are 3-4 years old or less. Some of the Gateway computers I've seen have them directly mounted on the frame. Most Pavilions or Inspirons and etc are basically just a caddy screwed onto the superstructures of the case, with nothing for shock absorption whatsoever so even if you just put it down hard, not even dropping it from an inch, can damage the drive. I've seen thinkpads come in here a few times (and working on them is how I came to like them so much), and I believe only one of them was having issues due to a bad hard drive.

I mean, I interact directly with customers, and I've seen how they handle the laptops. I have no doubt that they're failing because how they handle them, so thats why I was impressed that when I bought a used T61 (well used, according to the description) it had no drive issues. That was my point. That it likely survived usage by people like our customers who just plop their shit on a hard table and spin it around very non-delicately to show people their stupid shit.

So what do you guys charge for your repairs btw? I'm curious how our pricing compares. I've looked up how much people charge for format/reloads online, and people charge like 80 bucks for that shit, like wtf.

Milk the morons, why not.

I like the sleek look of the Thinkpad, but I'd prefer widescreen. More importantly, I can't stand that the keyboard is so far in like that. Haven't really used one so I'm just talking on what I see.
Some guy at work bought a Vaio and the screen was some small ass 1366x768 bullshit, and it was slow as shit because of all the bloatware. My Dell has been running 7 yrs now and it's showing its age a bit, but still kickin (almost faster than the Vaio).

Back