Post your latest purchases with pics (NO STOCK IMAGES)

The thinkpad comes in widescreen format, I have one. The keyboard isn't that much further inset than most, but in Dinn's pic it seems a bit exaggerated because of the angle of the pic and the non-widescreen format which makes it seem elongated. I dont think you'd mind it while using it.

So what do you guys charge for your repairs btw? I'm curious how our pricing compares. I've looked up how much people charge for format/reloads online, and people charge like 80 bucks for that shit, like wtf.
We are the Borg. All your computers are belong to us.

We charge nothing on service, only for parts (and at that, pretty cheap depending on how common the part is). The only caveat is we don't support non-OSS.

Not so helpful, I know.

lol, crazy Canadians and their free services.

EDIT: Also, lol at all these signs
IMG_2849.jpg

We could do with putting up some of those. Especially the one about people not reading shit and blaming us for it.

I hope you also got a fake fire extinguisher in case the fake fire ever gets out of control.

Why settle for 2 effect engines in one box when you can have 4 effect engines in 2 boxes?

9yPPp.jpg

Bought a few more polo shirts for work, and five pairs of really awesome socks. Going to not use my cheap ass walmart socks for anything other than around the house wear. Even then I might not, since these new socks are so ****ing comfortable and non shitty. I got so tired of buying crappy non durable clothes a month or so back, that I'm not just going to do it anymore. I've gotten into a habit of only buying quality items for everything else, so why not clothes too. I've had too many pairs of pants rip while doing heavy lifting work on my job. And the shirts and my under armour undershirts keep me surprisingly comfortable throughout the day despite all the heat and sweat I generate doing all the physical labor I have to.

The hat, knife, and not shown camelbak better bottle came free as bonus items. Hugh looks on approvingly. Disapproving of my shitty cell phone picture quality though.

CF0FN.jpg

Crucial M4 128GB
VKhfn.jpg

Loving this thing, computer is responsive as ****.

EDIT: riomhaire: Yes.

Alpha nerd post incoming.

Bought one of the last available Shruthi-1 4 Pole Mission synth kits last week, and finally finished building/fixing it. It's a DIY digital synth with analogue filters. The best of both worlds. Let's get started, shall we?

fdvyr.jpg

Every part in all its glory.

ogdUQ.jpg

The filter/PSU board and the digital control board. Everything analogue is on the left one, everything digital on the right one. Page 1 of parts list in background.

05NGM.jpg

A closer look at the filter/PSU. You'll notice there's a lot of places for resistors.

AFfXs.jpg

Oh god, the resistors.

FrDEM.jpg

Despite MacReady's protests, it is in fact late spring.

gJu8n.jpg

Hmm, the resistors took a lot less time than I thought they would.

lBA5j.jpg

By far my favourite part. The BOM asked for 5% European polystyrene capacitors, but **** that, I got some radio transceiver-class silver mica caps. Good to 500 volts and about 70 degrees C. Sexy.

YXP6n.jpg

Skipping ahead, here's the filter/PSU done. The metal bits on the right are all the cut connectors.

Xrt6f.jpg

Completed control board. This is where I started messing up. I accidentally put the interface pins (everything on the left edge of the board) in backward.

cx9hu.jpg

I had to resolder all the pins and put them on the other side of the PCB, hence the excessive flux runoff and slight scorching. Resoldering pin arrays with a point iron is hell. Oh well, no one's going to see the underside anyway.

fOZW9.jpg

The pieces of the German made, laser etched plexiglass case. Ready for dinner.

RU5hP.jpg

The first board attached to the case.

pToPl.jpg

Digital Control/BDSM board filling in all the filter board's slots. Oh baby.

wDxat.jpg

First power on is a success. All the digital related stuff worked, which was good news. Unfortunately, filters 3 and 4 didn't work at first. I spend most of last week identifying part by part where the problem was. Today I just resoldered a few points and it finally worked.

C6Efk.jpg

My hasty, pretty badly done solder job for the front eye LEDs. Really tough to work with an iron in an enclosure that small. Burning cable plastic smells like death.

PZF7G.jpg

And hey presto, it's done.

gZo5f.jpg

Z8taM.jpg

fdvyr.jpg

Thinkpad: The Official Laptop of Valvetime.net

Also neat thing you made there. Dont know what it does, but looks like you done good. I want to find something like that to practice soldering on, just need to find something I'd use.

Thinkpad: The Official Laptop of Valvetime.net
More like official laptop of anyone who wants to get actual work done. Unfortunately mine's from the shitty SL series. Doesn't have a metal frame so there's tons of keyboard flex.

What the **** does it do?
Also neat thing you made there. Dont know what it does, but looks like you done good.

It's a half-analog synthesiser. Can make a lot of cool sounds.

I want to find something like that to practice soldering on, just need to find something I'd use.
Well, you could make your own oscilloscope, which would be dead useful... for other soldering projects. But it might take an oscilloscope to properly calibrate a home made oscilloscope. Sort of a chicken and egg thing.

I'm not too familiar with the scene, but aren't 6.6 and 7.4 pretty high for beer? Or does "light" mean something totally different than I thought?

Light/heavy generally equates to the mouthfeel/taste. Dark beers taste like roasted nuts, coffee, chocolate, and dark fruit, and depending on the craft can stick to your tongue. Light beers are much less rich, more watery. Generally speaking "darks" are left to ferment longer, so you get more alcohol, but there are 5% stouts out there as well.

I'm a bit crazy though. I prefer stuff that has the consistency of motor oil. Not stuff to get smashed on (though it's certainly possible if you're in a hurry). Very slow, very rich. Like a dessert.

Got a second monitor a couple weeks ago, and this very limited Breaking Bad poster.

Holy christ my old monitor needs cleaning.

4Oyp3.jpg

Best Buy turned my Dark Souls order into the Collector's Edition without me knowing. I am Of*ckingkay with this to the max.

To The MAXX, bro.

DBHy

Back