Rate the last game you played

Status
Not open for further replies.
Far Cry 2 - 7/10

The Bad:

- Could've been SO much better if it wasn't for the tedious driving EVERYWHERE.
- All enemies are the same, boring, and just automatically shoot you for no reason.
- Jungle is boring, new setting next time please.
- Story is more predictable than who's to be our next president. (That'd be USA)

The Good:

- Dozens of options for tackling each and every mission.
- Gorgeous GFX
- The map editor is more fun than the actual game.

Far Cry 2: 9/10

The Good:

- Vehicles are fun as hell. Lamers who drive on the road just dont know what they're doing. Also, lamers who dont realize there are busses that eliminate 80% of the tedious travel just dont know what they're doing.

- Open world combat is amazing. Ive had so many situations that got out of hand and turned a small little 4 person skirmish into a huge battle that end with dozens of dead enemies, me without any meds and having my ass saved by my buddies, and leaving the environment burnt to the ground.

- As superficial as it sounds, the fire mechanic is fantastic. Like I said, there have been fights where an entire base will go up in flames and explosions going off everywhere. There is nothing quite like being in a tense firefight surrounded by flames and explosions on all sides and knowing that its all because of something you did, not some scripted event. It adds so much both visually and gameplay-wise that I gave FC2 a rating of nine instead of eight, solely for this. I love it so much.

- How you fight is completely up to you. In every mission, I had pre-decided how to go about completing the mission. Whether silently, or sniping, or rambo, or demo man, no mission is geared toward one particular way of going about things. And that is awesome.

The Bad:

- Buddies could have been expanded upon a lot more to make them more than something to save you from death every once in awhile.

- Story wasnt very engrossing. It seems more like a side-quest would be in most games.

- Side Missions are all similar types. It reminds me of Assassin's Creed. However, unlike AC, this didnt bother me much since the location of each mission varied so much that you can always stir things up yourself.

This is probably the most fun game I have played this year so far. Now I'm off to finish deadspace.

The vehicles are good, but they could have been a bit faster...

Wow, Krynn pretty much summed up my impressions of Far Cry 2.

I'd like to add that I find the physics in this game incredibly satisfying (not Euphoria and Natural Motion, but good enough), and the graphics are GORGEOUS. The first time I saw a sunrise I actually said "oh wow, thats amazing". It also scales decently well, my comp is 4 years old and it still runs on high.

I think the graphics in FC2 are better than Crysis IMHO. It is more visually appealing.

This is medium:

My only gripe is with the shadows, on High and below they are incredibly pixely, which bugs me. On higher settings though they smooth out :)

Fallout 3 - 9/10 thus far. It's pretty damn fun. I don't have time to type out what I like and dislike, but either way it's a great game.

Fallout 3 - 8.5/10 It's nice, but obviously, still not the Fallout we all love. It honestly feels liek a survival game too me, if you abstain from fast traveling.. Going on a trek through the wilderness has never been as fun!

And what happened to shooting people in the groin?

mirror's edge demo - 10/10

banjo kazooie nuts and bolts demo - 10/10

i loves demos i love demos

Dead Space - 8/10
Haven't finished yet but it's very enjoyable. I find that it gets less scary as you progress through the game though although that may be because I'm playing on Easy. I would of gone harder but I wasn't sure how well my computer could handle the game and I didn't want a horde of aliens charging at me while my computer lags.

Fable 2 - 9/10.

The context sensitive combat doesn't deliver as promised (throwing bottles/kicking chairs at people), the dog is woefully underused and the co-op is rushed and poorly implemented. Other than that, Fable 2 is a lovely, charming adventure game that shares more than a little with Zelda. It's grandiose, brimming over with content and laughs and distractions, and beautiful to look at. The combat is also rather excellent (I can't think of a single rpg/adventure that does action as well).

If Fable 2 was a movie it would be The Princess Bride.

I didn't think Pete actually ever said the context-sensitive bar brawling was going to be in Fable 2. Wasn't it just a tech demo Lionhead showed off that everyone automatically assumed was going to be used in the game?

Also, that movie comparison really makes me want to grab the game. :p

System Shock 2- 9/10 Very good game with enormously challenging parts. Actual inventories always make me like a game and this game had one. Not being able to sell anything made me angry because i would spend hours literally going around gathering f--cking nanites to buy even the most basic things.

All in all i liked Dead Space better even though it did not allow you to return to previous areas at a whim it still allowed me to sell things and i had plenty of some type of ammo. But System Shock 2 showed returning to previous areas to be mostly pointless anyway.

A lot of detail in the level design was evident and the place seemed right but it did not give me the sense of deep space that Dead Space gave me with vacuum constantly intruding but it was a great set of maps anyway.

The plot twist was not nearly as good as Bioshocks imo because you could see it coming so well. Shodan was an enemy previously established by the first one and this games twist was more like the original Mega Man series where it just turns out to be Wily again than a very surprising one.

The technical issues gave me a LOT of trouble, it took many patches to get this thing working but i was still left with not using any new keybinds and sticking with the stupid controls and had problems with that a lot

Fallout 3 10/10 so far.
I wish I could optimize it and run smoothly. I've settled for high textures/water, medium shadows, maximum range for actors @ 1280x800 (and running above 30fps at worst). I did max it everything however and it didn't seem that much better looking in all honesty. But it would be sweet to run it looking as it is at max resolution.

Shadow of the Colossus is god. The best PS2 game in the world in my opinion, bitches. Oh, and I played Condemned 2 Bloodshot. 7/10. Lacked the scares by the time I was in the SCU Building, and the plot became "evil cult takin' over the world with their magical voices."

It had the biggest bioshock rip-off ever in the Magic Theater, by the way.

Actually I found Bioshock fairly similar to Dead Space. Had the same sort of feel to it.

Thought I'd update, I just lowered some setting and am able to run it at 1680x1050 with almost equal performance! The visual change is unnoticeable as far as I can tell (I sorta forgot what I changed, it was right after my last post here).

SMOD Tactical - 10/10

Honestly, I never thought HL2 could get better, then I played SMOD, THEN I didn't think it could get any better, then I played SMOD tactical - this is the best. Hands down, I love how there is no crosshair, and I love you your gun moves around the screen, it feels like a cutscene, except you're playing the cutscene, it feels like you are in the game, so awesome. I also love all the new skins, the combine are all SWAT and shit, way too cool. I highly, highly recommend this mod. Man, it's awesome. I'm only on Route Canal right now, but it's awesome all the way. I use iron sights sometimes, but it's really cool to have a shootout without using them, makes you feel like a normal person having a shootout rather then some sharp shooting eagle eye getting a headshot every time using a crosshair.

The only bad thing is that they took out the crowbar and put in a knife. :(

Also - I know this mod is old, but I had dial up until about 8 months ago, and completely forgot about it until today, so I dl'ed it and boom, fell in love!

Quantum of Solace 6.5/10

Just your average shooter with a duck feature. Very short but full of spoilers. Why the hell did they release this before the movie?

Crysis Warhead - 7.5 or 8/10

Its Crysis, but playing as the Jason Statham character. Apparently the North Koreans had all the good crap on the other side of the island from when you played Nomad...

It makes occasional references to Nomad and the events in Crysis, but also makes occasional references to a back story between Psycho and O'Neill, a pilot you rescue early in the game.

Warhead was a fair bit shorter than Crysis, but had some more fun aspects to it. Maps were confusing and some parts of the game didnt make sense (like a US Aircraft Carrier apparently parked 35ft offshore when the Sphere formed) and the ending battle you see the lead up to the ending of Crysis, but have your own boss battle that i think was a fair bit better than the original Crysis ending...

But the very end finishes up with a bit of dialogue from the flashbacks that just leaves me scratching my head as it makes parts of the story no longer make sense...

Dead space: 9.5/10

cons: repetitive in some parts.... mutant jump out the window - - - shoot --- kill ----- another mutant jumps - -- - shoot ---- kill --- infant fly with crazy tentacles ---- shoot --- kill........etc

pros: interface is original. and really felt like a sci-fi movie. loved the game

Gears 2 - 9/10

An awesome sequel. Improves on the first game in nearly every way, both subtle and obvious. Online can be a bit wonky at times, but it's still an improvement.

Resistance 2 8.99999999999999/10

Insomniac made a good game but disappointed me in some aspects; skill points, Intel documents and the weapon wheel.

Little Big Planet Orgasm/10

Gears 2 - 9/10

An awesome sequel. Improves on the first game in nearly every way, both subtle and obvious. Online can be a bit wonky at times, but it's still an improvement.

Pretty much what I came in here to say. Online is great fun when I'm in a game, but getting to a game is tiresome and tedious.

Fallout 3: 8/10
Left 4 Dead Demo: 10/10
MotoGP 08: 4/10
Trackmania United Forever: 7/10

Dead Space - 8.5/10

Its like someone threw Event Horizon, System Shock 2 and Resident Evil 4 into a blender and this came out. Only not as good or as scary as any of those (although Event Horizon is pretty shit).

Although its not original, this was still a lot of fun to play surprisingly. The dismembering mechanic and the monsters that reanimated the dead were great gameplay additions as well as
the invincible regenerating monster.
I would've liked some more genuine scares though rather than having monsters just jump out at me from time to time, but it was still pretty interesting and fun.

Fallout 3 - 9/10
Not finished it yet, and got somewhat sidetracked with playing COD5, but easily one of the games of the year.

Call Of Duty World At War (Single Player) - 9/10
I don't play multi, so I can only give an opinion on the SP side, and I must say I wasn't expecting much after it seemed to be re-treading old ground by going back to WW2 but I am pleasantly surprised.
Up to COD4's standards if not surpassing it, with added location damage, out doing Infinity Wards sniper level, and bringing with it a tactically different enemy to fight other than Germans, it's a shame this game will probably live in COD4's shadow.

LittleBigPlanet - SO FAR 3/10..
Original idea and I'm sure a lot of gamers would be into it but it just wasn't what I had been hoping for. Just way to cute in an ehh kind of way.

GTA 4 - 9/10

Im quite a distance through the second island but felt I had played enough to rate it. Well, its the best GTA in my opinion, really find it hard to find negatives about this game. Such a compelling and believable city, full of life, combat system is brilliant and can have so many fun firefights, even the AI was really good for a GTA game. Love the fact that you can now wear suites and look like a mafia agent, and I love the mini games.

Only negatives I could find were that I think losing the cops is far too easy, and they don't seem to chase me very often, I can usually just speed away down a long road and the stars disappear. Also, where the hell have the taxi, ambulance and fire engine side missions gone! Other than that, it is a fantastic game.

FIFA 09 - 10/10

Never thought I would say it about a FIFA game, but this is as close to the real game as I have ever seen. Multiplayer is so much fun and addictive, especially the Be A Pro matches, and now that it is harder to score amazing goals, when you do score one from like 30 yards out, or one from a 30 pass build up play, its so much more satisfying.

Far Cry 2 - 6/10

It started of well, but trailed off rather quickly really. The malaria addition is ****ing ridiculous, what the HELL were they thinking there. The combat system feels really clunky and the firefights just don't flow very well, the AI isn't too great either. Sure they try and flank you and use cover but time and time again, Ive either been sitting at a sniper spot with guy trying to pick me off with a shotgun while running around from miles away, or running into a fire, or merely standing there as I run them over without making any effort to get out of the way.

The scouting tool doesn't seem to work very well, and the bus stations aren't very well placed. I just found myself getting increasingly tired of having to track across the map to do a mission, I thought the first Far Cry was about the right size for a FPS, no long distances before you got to your next missions and still gave you a decent free roam of an area so you could have some choice of how to approach the situation (until it really stupid with those genetically malformed things). It works well with other FPSs like Morrowind or Oblivion as it contains fast travel options and easy to access transport systems, but with this, I just find it a pain in the arse after a while. I think I will trade it in for CoD: WaW just so I can play it with my mates.

Team Fortress 2 - Played it many times, just finished it up again not to long ago. Great online-play. 9/10

Call of Duty: World at War Multiplayer beta demo - 9.0/10

I really enjoyed it, almost as much as Call of Duty 4, I just pre-ordered COD: WOW.

TimeShift - 7/10

Solid average shooter with a cool and fun gimmick (slow/stop/reverse time). Cool weapons, decent story, pretty fun to play, I'd recommend a bargain bin buy. I'll be finishing this one.

Saint's Row 2 - 8/10

It's pretty much the first game except with a bunch of cool extra features added, human shields, new activities, more missions, more/better melee (tazer never gets old), etc. Nice and fun game, better then GTA4 (although I thought SR1 was better then GTA4). I think it's worth $60. The only bad thing about it is that the cars don't handle realistically, they are all arcadey, it's sort of hard to explain, but they don't really slide around alot and their handling is stupidly good and the cars have really good grip and everything.. It's odd, it's the only thing I wish they would've kept from SR1, but I guess you can't have it all, it's not really that big of a deal, just sort of wierd they'd downgrade the cars..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back