Rate the last game you played

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a little easy at times but it just looked so damn cool. Some of those death sequences were inspiring.

Like when you had to time him hitting the guy in the stomach, kneeing him in the chin and then slicing his throat with the short sword. Or when he plunges it into the guys head from above and you heard that cracking sound, god that was awesome!

Company of Heroes - Tales of Valor - 5/10

For what you get, its too expensive.

Direct fire is cool, especially with the 88s (god that was fun on the last mission), but doesnt add anything tactically that the AI could already do. It gives you more control, but you still die as fast and kill things as fast as if the AI were controlling it.

Campaigns are far too short.

This IS however a pretty essential purchase for anyone who loves CoH MP. The new scenarios and maps are addictive and tense, whilst being fun throughout.

Company of Heroes - Opposing Fronts - 9/10

I played the Operation Market Garden campaign through again with the Kampfgroupe Lehr missions, and that was seriously fun. 4 mobile artillery on the last mission, god that invasion had NO chance.

Battlefield Heroes beta

gameplay 9/10
overall score 8/10

it's tons of fun like no other battlefield game has been since BF1942 ...but man does it have some frustrating design decisions like no switching classes during a game (you need to quit first), no server browser, it's all matchmaking, not enough items like clothing which is where the paid portion of the game is ..at this point there is zero incentive to purchase anything because it lasts a month at best

The Godfather 2 - 4/10...
Stupid AI, crappy multiplayer, dumb story, okay graphics and shitty controls.
Why did they even bother?

Prince of persia 2008 7/10

It was good and I enjoyed it. It's nothing special really and is a bit of a step back but I did enjoy it anyway. Ending was a little disappointing and yes it was a bit easy BUT I liked the leisurely pace the game took and elika saved my ass more times than I can count (although it must have been less than a hundred cos I got the trophy for that). Although this brings us on to...

Prince of persia 2008 epilogue 4/10

WTF?! Okay I am pretty ****ing disappointed here and I can summarise easily in 4 steps:

1) Story or lack thereof. You can ***** all you want about the ending to the main game but at least it ****ing ended! The ending in this is almost like halo 2's ending. I comes absolutely out of nowhere, punches you in the stomach and leaves you in bewilderment as to what the **** they'll do in the new one. I won't spoil it here though.

The only other story in this really is hints to elika's powers and then just a general idea of they have to escape. That's all.

2) The difficulty. I know some people didn't like how POP was too easy and so they rectified that in this by making the platforming much harder. I have no real problem with that except for the fact that it is never really clear where you have to jump to alot of the time and this means you have too really too much on leap of faith gameplay which if you get wrong you have to repeat long stretches of jumping again and this can become very frustrating and tedious.

3) The bosses. This is sort of connected to the last point but the bosses are a pain. You fight 8 bosses in this expansion and they are the same 2 bosses over and over again and they are taken from the main game. That's just ****ing lazy on the part of the devs. Biggest problem though is in nearly all of these fights it relies on mashing buttons at a ridiculous speed in QTEs. By the end of it I couldn't do anymore and had to take a break cos my arm started to hurt.

4) Okay last one, the price. None of this would be so bad if it weren't for the fact this cost me £8. I mean I got the game for £18!

Anyway long rant over now. Feel free for anyone to disagree with me :p

Prince of persia 2008 7/10

Prince of persia 2008 epilogue 4/10
I actually thought the final segments were really cool, and the ending, although it wasn't done as well as it could have been, was sufficiently surprising to be interesting.

The weird thing about the new Prince is that it's full of the beginnings of so many cool ideas, and never quite gets all of them to fruition. The graphics and the environmental design are wonderful, to be sure, and leaping monkeylike from spire to beautiful spire is an absolute joy. But then the developers, bafflingly, ditched the old time-rewind system to replace it with one where you never die. Except, in fact, you do - the new way essentially amounts to checkpoints. I love the fact that, playing through the game, I never died once - but what I did do was throw my controller against the wall when I was forced to repeatedly negotiate a single climb just to fail and fail and fail again at the final hurdle. Instead of being able to rewind to just before the place you made a mistake, you're forced to endlessly redo the preceding two minutes of action. It's absurd - it's primitive. I thought games had moved past such bullshit; apparently not. Meanwhile the story and its central double-act - potentially engaging - are marred by absolutely piss-poor dialogue writing which makes the Prince himself a detestable little shit-tick clinging to the bowels of leprous cliche, and his companion simply boring.

Also, final boss:

You watch through the eyes of her father as the woman repeatedly orgasms
I liked it overall, but it clearly could have been so much better. Maybe the sequel, which could be interesting.

Fear 2: Project Origin (demo)

I thought I'd download some demos to play. I was distinctly unimpressed. At first, the combat seemed fun, and, not having played the first game, being no horror veteran, and on top of that a huge pansy, I'm ashamed to confess I was absolutely terrified. When the dark ghosty freaky bits came I jumped and screamed like a little girl tied up in a truck going over a rugged road. But soon the utter awkwardness of the game began to drag. You can't change your graphics while in-game, so you have to quit out even to change the brightness. Nor can you redefine your controls while playing, which is unforgiveable, especially since the demo doesn't even let you save before you exit to the main menu, losing all your progress for the sake of changing the awkward controls (were so many buttons and functions really necessary for what is really quite a simple game?).

Unable to make any changes I was extremely ill at-ease with the default buttons but pressed on regardless. Combat was meaty, but movement was slow and clunky - especially on my computer. Quite why the game runs so terribly when it consists entirely of grey soldiers in grey environments is beyond me. The enormous, screen-filling HUD adds to the difficulties, so that in the brownish-charcoal haze it can be difficult to see what's going on at all (and you can't change the brightness!). Baffling design decisions abound: why aren't all the healthpacks of the pick-up-and-use-variety, instead of there being instant-use hypos scattered around too? Why don't I get a little time to look around and appreciate the ruined street into which I've just emerged? Why is this cramped street environment built so that I end up crouching behind the same piece of cover for two minutes, as the easiest solution? And why, really, why must the exceptionally scary and atmospheric action be constantly interupted by blaring notifications that I should press TAB to see some new notes - only to find these notes consist of 'press spacebar to jump'?

Ultimately the biggest question is why I should bother to play this any longer when, fun and cool as the core content is, the developers are doing everything possible to prevent me from enjoying it. Bugger this.

4/10

**** me, sounds like Monolith sold their soul to the console devil with the game. :(

Got to say I agree with what you say sulks and most people hate that ending but I kinda liked it even if it is a little disappointing. Just don't get me started about the piss poor ending for epilogue though :flame:

Anway I need to calm down after POP, i'll probably play penumbra next. I was really impressed with what I played in the demo for that :)

Fear 2: Project Origin (demo)

I never had any problem configuring the controls in the demo or the full game, though it sounds as though that was the main reason for you not enjoying it. Did you try to configure in game or at the menus?

DemiGod 2/10

As a single player gamer, this was not a particularly good experience. No tutorial to tell you what the hell your supposed to be doing and runs like crap on a system that can play Crysis on high. I believe they have had no end of problems with the on-line side and they are basically telling the community to ignore the reviews for the game because they will fix it. Seems to me until it's fixed, the game deserves any bad rating it gets.

Yeah, I heard they basically released a beta.
Even though they supposedly beta tested the game like crazy.

Fail on their part.

I never had any problem configuring the controls in the demo or the full game, though it sounds as though that was the main reason for you not enjoying it. Did you try to configure in game or at the menus?
From the main menu I could configure everything. But to get to the main menu I had to quit out of the game and there was no save function at all. To see whether changes were effective I had to play the game. You see my problem. That's not really the main reason though - just part of the overwhelming akwardness of the interface. The game's whole design doesn't seem properly thought through. It stops being enjoyable quickly.

From the main menu I could configure everything. But to get to the main menu I had to quit out of the game and there was no save function at all. To see whether changes were effective I had to play the game. You see my problem. That's not really the main reason though - just part of the overwhelming akwardness of the interface. The game's whole design doesn't seem properly thought through. It stops being enjoyable quickly.

I had no trouble configuring in game, in fact, some buttons that could not be bound from the main menu interface (delete, Keypad 0) could be done in game.
As for the interface, it didn't particularly bother me, I thought it did it's job, and I enjoyed the game. I do know some people hate the game though, so I am not trying to tell you that you should like it.

Different strokes and all that :)

Fallout 3 - 8/10

Just completed it. Took me 26 hours in total, although that just the save game timestamp, so it's probably nearer double that. My map seems a bit empty in some areas so there must be more quests to do. Ending sucks. Luckily I have 279 saves to go back to.

Battlefield Heroes Beta - 6/10

Eh. I like the style, and some elements of the gameplay are pretty fun, but it feels a bit hollow for a game touting this much customization. The combat has very little impact or punch, the vehicles aren't as fun to control, and the weapons seem very limited. You gain new abilities by leveling (stuff like multi-grenade, where you throw 3 or more nades at once), but to get new weapons you have to buy them, and they only last a month at a time so you have to KEEP buying them. Kind of shite really, but I guess they had to do it that way to keep the revenue flowing.

Purely as a free game I guess it's kind of cool, and the graphical style is REALLY nice (particularly the maps, although they all have very similar environs), but I don't think there's really enough here for a great, lasting experience that's worth (continually) spending money on.

** Note that the above is purely based on the beta, subject to change and all that.

Insurgency: 9/10

Glad i picked this mod up again. The maps are well made and the sounds are surprisingly good for a mod. Loses a point for the frustrating times when you keep getting shot and you have no idea where it came from.

Persona 4 : 9/10

Surprisingly good for a JRPG on the PS2. The graphics are good and clear, but not exceptionally brilliant (though given the amount of content maybe it's a given). Balancing RL interaction and Dungeon-Crawling was a decent challenge, but given that you can feasibly remain in a dungeon indefinitely until completion about 1/4th into the game it quickly becomes a non-issue.

The bosses were the hardest ones in a JRPG up until now, but never felt particularly cheap or cheating in terms of tactics. The story is quite a good one, and spans a goodly amount of time. It took about ~ 60 hours ~ to complete on the first run, but if you're looking to take your time then 80 hours is probably feasible. Also, the second run-through has some extra dialogue as a bonus, two new bonus bosses and some new personas to fuse.

RECOMMENDATION : Hire and play, maybe buy if you particularly like JRPGS like the Persona range (maybe the FF Series as well, but that may be a bit of a long shot).

FIFA 09 - 9/10

Nothing better than playing someone online and coming back from 2-0 down to win 2-3.

FIFA 09 - 9/10

Nothing better than playing someone online and coming back from 2-0 down to win 2-3.

Got a love/hate relationship with that game, I love it but then again I have destroyed two copies of it in blind rage.

The Chronicles Of Riddick - Assault On Dark Athena PC - 9/10

I love the whole Riddick universe, and loved Butcher Bay, so the chance to own a Remixed and upgraded version was too much to resist for me. They really have done wonders with the original game, even though it still looks pretty good now. The new version has more effects, new moves for Riddick, some improvements to the level designs, not to mention the better models and textures, Money well spent for that alone, which is without mentioning the sequel to the game that comes in the same package. It is more a shooter to Riddicks first stealth oriented game although the stealth option is always there, it's sometimes quicker and easier just to hijack a drone gun and waste everything in the area. Saying that, the quality is still there in droves, from the new bounty cards you collect, to the story and characters (I'm just of the ship at the start, and I already want to kill the main villains in this game so bad, which is all down the excellent work done on the characters) and is a good extension to the franchise, which is a good thing seeing as the film sequels are still up in the air at the moment.

Only bad thing:- ****ing 3 install DRM, with no other way to get more than ring an internationally charged Atari hotline number and beg for more activations. I'm hoping by the time I use mine up, the game is cracked.

Awesome game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVFd0GWf9FM

Crap, Dark Athena has limited install DRM too?

Why do developers still think that is a good idea? anyway, looks and sounds awesome otherwise, coming from someone who never played the first one.

Saints Row 2
5/10

Has quite some fun elements in it, not completely a GTA clone. But the game is polished waaaay too poorly to be enjoyable.

Half Life 2 9/10

Even after playing this through so many times, I feel as if it deserves to be played every year or so. Its such an amazing title and even my 7 year old nephew was excited just to watch me play it for a while. I also want to go back and play HL1 to re-live it all over again

Burnout Paradise 9/10

This an exceptionally good game. Crashes are freaking amazing, and it runs brilliantly on my new PC.

Team Fortress 2: 10/10
Never gets old, especially when you have an incredibly drunk CyberPitz screaming for an entire game. Willie will have videos up sometime.

Team Fortress 2 - 10/10

First night playing after my laptop being broken for months and it involves a drunk Pitz. I love this game.

battlefield heroes - 8/10

fun little game, but the matchmaking... honestly? it's fast, but i keep getting put on these empty servers with 1 other pesron. **** matchmaking.

DemiGod 2/10

As a single player gamer, this was not a particularly good experience. No tutorial to tell you what the hell your supposed to be doing and runs like crap on a system that can play Crysis on high. I believe they have had no end of problems with the on-line side and they are basically telling the community to ignore the reviews for the game because they will fix it. Seems to me until it's fixed, the game deserves any bad rating it gets.

Re-start the game. Myself, along with 2 other friends ALL had low FPS (on high end computers) on the first play of the game. After that - nothing but buttah.

Darkfall 6/10

Massive grind fest filled with exploiters, cheaters, and hackers. Great PVP though (full loot). :/

half life - blue shift 8/10

one of the easier games in the half life series, a bit short but a good game nontheless.

i also played opposing force the day before that gets a 7.9/10

and half life itself which gets a 10/10

Left 4 Dead 10/10 Survival is awesome.

Pokemon Platinum 10/10 TORTERRA USE EARTHQUAKE, TORTERRA USE EARTHQUAKE, TORTERRA USE EARTHQUAKE, TORTERRA USE EARTHQUAKE

Bioshock - 10/10 - absolutely beautiful, awesome action, and great immersion.

GTA4 - 8/10 - great graphics and gameplay, but the story isn't quite as tight as previous GTA games; otherwise excellent

Braid - 8/10 -Pretty good. I liked the art style and the gameplay mechanics. It's too short.

Zeno Clash - 8/10 - Fantastic art style, great melee combat, unfortunatly it has a few unpolished bits and its too short.

Sam & Max season 1 - 9/10 - Loved the writing, the comedy and characters. And people say season 2 is even better :D

Velvet Assassin - 6/10
- I'm still playing it. I wanted to like the game, i enjoy spy stuff but its a bit meh... and damn hard, i'm tired of dying.

Stepmania - 9/10

I really need to get around to recording a video

I say this every time I play

Sam & Max season 1 - 9/10 - Loved the writing, the comedy and characters. And people say season 2 is even better :D

Season two is better, with better puzzles, characters and jokes all round, and the visuals seemed to improve in season 2 as well, though both seasons are fantastic, as are the Strongbad games and the first Episode of Wallace And Gromit. Telltale can do no wrong at the moment in my eyes.

Velvet Assassin - 6/10
- I'm still playing it. I wanted to like the game, i enjoy spy stuff but its a bit meh... and damn hard, i'm tired of dying.

I wouldn't even give it that. Ran like crap even though every Unreal 3 engine game runs amazing since GoW, and they all look better than this, frustrating level design also made it a chore to play.

X-Men Origins - Wolverine Uncaged PC - 9/10

Now some may wonder how a simple brawler, and a movie licensed one at that can earn a 9, for me it's just because it so much ****ing fun to play. The game boasts the best damage I have seen in a game since....well....ever, with Wolverine taking some pretty nasty hits throughout the game, as well as the damage you can do to others. Tight controls (played on a 360 gamepad) and intuitive combo's, combined with a real decent camera make this game a joy to play.
Can't say how much of the movie it spoils as I have not seen it, but the devs say about 90% of the movie is in there, so I guess you should see the movie before playing.
Raven are back on top form after a slew of disappointing games, the second best movie game behind Riddick Dark Athena.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHkygzvhfxo

Resident Evil 5 - 9/10

Way better than I thought it would be, aiming and firing is still shit though.

Stepmania - 9/10

I really need to get around to recording a video

I say this every time I play

I used to go to the arcade every day and play DDR Extreme 2 constantly with friends we could all play every song on heavy at like x6 speed, mkay. I used to have a dance pad and and DDR Max for PS2 to practise.

Believe me when I say - you look like a retard when you play the game no matter what you do.

Still fun though. I haven't played in like 8 years so I suck ass now :p.

Castlevania SOTN - 10/10

I finally gave in and bought it off PSN since I have no idea where my PS1 copy went. One of my all time favorite games, and without it I'd be just a miserable little pile of secrets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back